Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lanka Bombings 150+ dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

MrFresh wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like they had details, just the method and general target type.

I know, but Easter Sunday mass. It's kind of the number one target. I thought they would have been vigilant with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

I see Covney & Varradker are too busy eating their Easter eggs this morning to tweet condemnation of this attack against Christians!

Childish post-really childish , using an atrocity like this to push your own little agends:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I see Covney & Varradker are too busy eating their Easter eggs this morning to tweet condemnation of this attack against Christians!

Coveney gave a statement

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0421/1044820-sri-lanka/
    President Michael D Higgins has sent "the sympathies and solidarity of the people of Ireland' to the families of victims of a series of deadly bomb attacks in Sri Lanka.

A string of blasts ripped through churches and high-end hotels as worshippers attended Easter services in Sri Lanka this morning, killing at least 156 people.

The nature of the blasts was not immediately clear and there were no immediate claims of responsibility.

In a statement, Mr Higgins said "the right to the freedom of worship is a fundamental right."

Tánaiste Simon Coveney also expressed his sympathies, saying there can be no justification for the attacks.

"I am shocked at the appalling attacks on innocent civilians this morning in Sri Lanka," Mr Coveney said.

"No political or other cause can justify or excuse the bombing of people at worship or simply going about their daily lives."

He added that the Sri Lankan attacks and a recent attack on a mosque in New Zealand are "a challenge to us all" to protect everyone's freedom of religion and belief.

"Places of worship must be places of peace, free from fear," he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Im sure Irish media will be equally as outraged like they were with the Islamic attach in New Zealand and publish multiple articles for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

emo72 wrote: »
    I know, but Easter Sunday mass. It's kind of the number one target. I thought they would have been vigilant with this.

Not much you can do to stop it when it's happening. It seems they were suicide bombers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Nothing on either of their Twitter accounts. Or FF, SF etc
    No one cares about Christians they won't get the woke vote for any of those attacks or attacks on Churches across the world even in France!

No one cares about Christians they won't get the woke vote for any of those attacks or attacks on Churches across the world even in France!

Since when is Twitter the required medium for condolences?

Up to 207 now.

Since when is Twitter the required medium for condolences?
    When you are looking for any reason to push a sad childish agenda I suppose

Childish post-really childish , using an atrocity like this to push your own little agends:mad:

I'm not the one pushing an agenda you are just trying to shutdown my opinion on this attack on Christians. My point is no one in the media or politics really care about Christians or Jews being attacked. And it makes me extremely angry!

• Advertisement

The man has expressed more sympathy for the victims than you have.

It would appear you don't care about Christians very much either, except when you can use their suffering for your agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

207 dead. Horrendous. Once again the innocent slain by cowards.

It would appear you don't care about Christians very much either, except when you can use their suffering for your agenda

Another woke moderator that's all boards needs

Mod: Banned. State of your posts

Sorry I could only thank that post once

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

There's nothing 'woke' about criticising your infantile nonsense.

No I'm extremely angry about this attack on my fellow Christians otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here I'm sorry I have now! No point arguing with some of the posters on hers. RIP to all the poor victims just celebrating Easter Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

No I'm extremely angry about this attack on my fellow Christians otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here I'm sorry I have now! No point arguing with some of the posters on hers. RIP to all the poor victims just celebrating Easter Sunday!

You made a show of yourself. Build a bridge and get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Seems you're more angry about what you mistakenly perceived as silence from the Foreign Affairs minister than you are about the victims, which, quite frankly, isn't very Christian of you. The 'RIP' you've thrown in at the end fails to mask your agenda.

No I'm extremely angry about this attack on my fellow Christians

Can you not be sympathetic to all victims? There's over 600 from all walks of life. It wasn't just churches attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I'm not the one pushing an agenda you are just trying to shutdown my opinion on this attack on Christians. My point is no one in the media or politics really care about Christians or Jews being attacked. And it makes me extremely angry!

People care about people. Go away with your religious nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Only barbaric monsters would do something like this, I honestly didn't believe when people on here and other places were saying Christianity was under attack, it seems like sadly I was so wrong,I'm not religious but I'll pray for everyone affected by these terror attacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its unclear whether there were policemen stationed at the churches, but the general public and tourists do not seem to have been warned despite some intelligence being available in advance.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/04/sri-lankas-police-chief-issued-alert-10-days-ago-warning-that-suicide-bombers-planned-to-hit-prominent-churches

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Very sad.
    RIP to all victims.

recedite wrote: »
    Its unclear whether there were policemen stationed at the churches, but the general public and tourists do not seem to have been warned despite some intelligence being available in advance.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/04/sri-lankas-police-chief-issued-alert-10-days-ago-warning-that-suicide-bombers-planned-to-hit-prominent-churches

Seems they gave a warning 10 days ago.

Sri Lanka's police chief made a nationwide alert 10 days before Sunday's bomb attacks in the country that suicide bombers planned to hit "prominent churches", according to the warning seen by AFP news agency.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/sri-lanka-police-warned-of-suicide-attack-threat-before-bombings/ar-BBW97jL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Seems they gave a warning 10 days ago.
    It says there
    Police chief Pujuth Jayasundara sent an intelligence warning to top officers on April 11 setting out the threat.
    That's not the same as warning the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

in Fairness to SnakePlisken , he has a point, do you think the Guardian/left wing media in the next few days will be posting hit pieces on how Christians in Asia are targets of massive amounts of hate crime ? - and how all Muslims should feel guilt and shame over this ??

doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭votecounts

RIP to all the victims of this terrorist attack.

in Fairness to SnakePlisken , he has a point, do you think the Guardian/left wing media in the next few days will be posting hit pieces on how Christians in Asia are targets of massive amounts of hate crime ? - and how all Muslims should feel guilt and shame over this ??

doubt it somehow.

They don't cover much on terrorism in the Middle East or Africa either. It's the location. not the religion of the victims that determines their coverage.

• Advertisement

They don't cover much on terrorism in the Middle East or Africa either. It's the location. not the religion of the victims that determines their coverage.

It's also the sort of shared culture "white" countries share, whereas all these other countries are very different to each other.

We can look at how our homogeneous sort of media etc. could lead in some way to Christchurch, but Nigeria and Sri Lanka are vastly different.

Advertisement