Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Tell me WHOY) I don't like Funny Froidays: Liveline 15/2/19 and dat

Options

Comments

My late mother, a virgin until her marriage to my father as was typical then in middle class society, had a boyfriend before being with my Dad, and there was a time that boyfriend visited her in the bedroom when she was sick. A couple of months later the relationship broke and my mother was very upset and depressed but didn’t discuss it with her stiff upper lip type parents. Her father assumed she was upset because she was pregnant and arranged a meeting with the parish priest. So he brought her over to the parochial house in Beechwood and the three sat down to tea brought in by a Mrs Doyle. Talk was full of the niceties of the weather etc until the priest asked my mother “is there something you would like to tell us?”

A spark went off in her head and she suddenly copped on what he was asking, so she decided to play mischievous and tease the priest “father, I am troubled indeed...I’ve been very upset recently... “ “yes my child, another cup of tea?” “Well father, I made a terrible error in work and typed out “men’s sanitary towels” on the customs docket instead of “menstrual” as on the ship’s cargo sheet, and I innocently asked him do men have to use sanitary towels like women. Well the boss was furious with me and has been giving me a hard time ever since, and it’s all so embarrassing, father.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Not referring to any posting here ....just always somewhat amused by proxy outrage and moral hyperventilation -which is so widespread these days ...especially with PC mentality so rampant.
    It;s hard enough for us to be moral arbiters for our own day and its dilemmas let alone adjudicate on a previous era which operated according to different inbuilt sincerely held sociocultural assumptions. What would I have thought if I was around in 1916 or in Germany in the 1930s?.Ii just don't know and it's futile my trying to pontificate about these matters now from my safe unchallenged vantage point in the present.
    For myself ,the older I get , the less clear I am about anything to do with sociopolitical organisation. I am unable to resolve arguments about moral relativism and absolutism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Havnt heard of depth charges since my grandfather doyed. Was a favourite saying of his when referencing a certain assassin (barman) in finglas. Thanks for the smile you brought to my face when I read your post JN.

The lads in the pub have no clue what I'm talking about when I mention Depth Charges :)
    Their was a barman in a certain Oasis of tranquility in cabra West who kept a jar of senna pods behind the bar, if he seen a troublemaker in action, his next pint got a spoonful, very hard to fight with soggy undercacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The nuns orchestrated a deception involving the use of faked postcards.
    Now that's despicable and something I didn't know - it pales compared to the shabby treatment they were handing out, but is just an illustration of how devious and corrupt that some of them were.
    That simple deception is a sign of something much more rotten in the the institution.

The letters and postcards from the daughter gone 'abroad 'to 'work' for a year or visit a 'dying' aunt in America was a ploy to fool grandparents, friends and neighbours.

Sometimes the girl wouldn't want her parents to know she was pregnant and the nuns would take her in and arrange her 'letters from America' with American post mark to arrive at the parents to keep up the pretense that she was working in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Roger_007 wrote: »
    "Jimmy, would you fancy a ride?"

Does he fold his mikey in half when hes giving half portions ?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,963 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    The letters and postcards from the daughter gone 'abroad 'to 'work' for a year or visit a 'dying' aunt in America was a ploy to fool grandparents, friends and neighbours.

Sometimes the girl wouldn't want her parents to know she was pregnant and the nuns would take her in and arrange her 'letters from America' with American post mark to arrive at the parents to keep up the pretense that she was working in America.

Bugrit. Jumping to the erroneous conclusion was the only real exercise I got today.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Bugrit. Jumping to the erroneous conclusion was the only real exercise I got today.

No problem. We all have our crosses to bear in life. I find a nice cool glass of water with a dash of Cider vinegar gives me that little jolt I need to get going ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

"Delivering horticulture to the children."

Odd way of putting it.
    Reminds of the story about Mae Wests Gardner being sacked for forcing Rhubarb up in Mae.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It’s like the inshurdance.
    D Epenthesis can appear in two environments. One of them is between a preceding /l/ or /n/
    and a following /z/, which makes homophones such as bills = builds /bɪldz/, holes = holds,
    mines = minds /maɪndz/. The other possibility is between a preceding /r/ and a following
    [n] or [l], (whether syllabic or not); the intrusive [d] then has a nasal or lateral release
    respectively as in turned [tʌɹdn̩d], girls [gɛɹdl̩z].
    the more you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Very interesting that all the media are reporting that it was "an accident, not arson" before any investigation has been done, in spite of the fact that there have been many attacks on churches in France in the last few months.

Fire tends to destroy evidence, it's very hard to work out how a fire started even if you analyse the scene after (cf. Stardust), you'd need psychic powers to rule it as "accidental" before it's even ended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It was the so called 'ordinary' people of this country who were rotten. They were rotten in their pride, so much so that when a girl got pregnant 'out of wedlock', she was dumped by her family and ostracised by her community.
    It's a bit rich to be blaming the nuns now. The nuns didn't go round the country kidnapping pregnant girls. The girls were literally dumped on their doorstep.

You keep posting this rubbish so I guess you are young or have no idea what it was like.

Take the post by Catmaniac about her father taking her mum as a girl to the priest because she might be pregnant.
    The priest and Gardai had way more control back then.

The Gardai could even catch a girl runaway and bring her back to an institution that she had a right to leave.

The church deemed it wrong and so the community went along is the big problem, well some didn't go along and were looked down on.

The nuns got payed by the council per head they had there. Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

My late mother, a virgin until her marriage to my father as was typical then in middle class society, had a boyfriend before being with my Dad, and there was a time that boyfriend visited her in the bedroom when she was sick. A couple of months later the relationship broke and my mother was very upset and depressed but didn’t discuss it with her stiff upper lip type parents. Her father assumed she was upset because she was pregnant and arranged a meeting with the parish priest. So he brought her over to the parochial house in Beechwood and the three sat down to tea brought in by a Mrs Doyle. Talk was full of the niceties of the weather etc until the priest asked my mother “is there something you would like to tell us?”

A spark went off in her head and she suddenly copped on what he was asking, so she decided to play mischievous and tease the priest “father, I am troubled indeed...I’ve been very upset recently... “ “yes my child, another cup of tea?” “Well father, I made a terrible error in work and typed out “men’s sanitary towels” on the customs docket instead of “menstrual” as on the ship’s cargo sheet, and I innocently asked him do men have to use sanitary towels like women. Well the boss was furious with me and has been giving me a hard time ever since, and it’s all so embarrassing, father.”

That's the weirdest post I've ever seen on this, or any forum,ever

Jeff2 wrote: »
    You keep posting this rubbish so I guess you are young or have no idea what it was like.

Take the post by Catmaniac about her father taking her mum as a girl to the priest because she might be pregnant.
    The priest and Gardai had way more control back then.

The Gardai could even catch a girl runaway and bring her back to an institution that she had a right to leave.

The church deemed it wrong and so the community went along is the big problem, well some didn't go along and were looked down on.

The nuns got payed by the council per head they had there. Business.

100%. JB I have much respect for you but on this occasion I feel you are in error. After I was born, not a very long time ago <60 my mother was brought to the church to be "churched ". She was a married woman who conceived and bore a (wonderful son):). But was deemed unfit to partake in sacraments until she was cleansed of sin"sex". with her husband. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Roger seems to think people dropped kids off on the door step at a whim.

Priest and nuns called to homes.

Edit : do you think they would get in if not prearranged.?

100%. JB I have much respect for you but on this occasion I feel you are in error. After I was born, not a very long time ago <60 my mother was brought to the church to be "churched ". She was a married woman who conceived and bore a (wonderful son):). But was deemed unfit to partake in sacraments until she was cleansed of sin"sex". with her husband. !!!

My own mother was brought by her father to be churched after she gave birth to a son in 1958 conceived within her marriage to my father. That child died of Asian Influenza aged 3 weeks, and my Mum felt very upset at having to attend the church to be cleansed of her “sin” of having sex with her husband, but did it to please her father who, although highly conservative in a religious sense, had always been a very kind and warmly loving father to his children when her mother, although a good woman, was not particularly maternal in instinct. Eg, when the mother bought a cane to keep order on the siblings he took it up and broke it in two and put it in the rubbish bin in front of the children.

As a young child I remember the Latin Mass, and used to play act being a priest (was unaware of “proper” gender roles!) by making up a language which I thought resembled Latin. I remember the change to Mass in English and people babbling discontentedly about the “New Mass” and how they didn’t like it. People are, by nature, conservative and go along with the status quo. It takes a braver soul to speak up differently.

maebee wrote: »
    That's the weirdest post I've ever seen on this, or any forum,ever

Welcome to the 1950s.

My own mother was brought by her father to be churched after she gave birth to a son in 1958 conceived within her marriage to my father. That child died of Asian Influenza aged 3 weeks, and my Mum felt very upset at having to attend the church to be cleansed of her “sin” of having sex with her husband, but did it to please her father who, although highly conservative in a religious sense, had always been a very kind and warmly loving father to his children when her mother, although a good woman, was not particularly maternal in instinct. Eg, when the mother bought a cane to keep order on the siblings he took it up and broke it in two and put it in the rubbish bin in front of the children.

As a young child I remember the Latin Mass, and used to play act being a priest (was unaware of “proper” gender roles!) by making up a language which I thought resembled Latin. I remember the change to Mass in English and people babbling discontentedly about the “New Mass” and how they didn’t like it. People are, by nature, conservative and go along with the status quo. It takes a braver soul to speak up differently.

We must be the oldest swingers in town :)

I'm off to that swingers thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Never heard the word breakfast so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭surferdudz

get to the point.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i'm already bored senseless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Michael joseph

"she was a forden lady and i couldn't understand her...being deaf you know"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,963 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"I'm offended, Damo."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭surferdudz

everyon's nice Joe.....it's a disgrace Joe....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Don't do the accent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really don't know what the point is to this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

A non-story so far.........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

These stories are pointless with the name of the place been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

What an unpleasant individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Ah ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Mountain out of a molehill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement