Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Jake5991 wrote: »
    I think it's any of the cities so we could get Limerick or Dublin Kilkenny or Cork. But more than likely Dublin

You can get anywhere really but they more than likely are not going to send you the opposite end of the country. So when you are attested, you are on probation for two years and where you are stationed is your duty station for those two years.Once you're out of probation you can apply for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jahcork

Anyone still waiting to get a date for stage 3 the interview ? I sat stage two in January

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Hi does anyone know when they will start up recruiting again? I'm 28 soon so not going to get many more chances lol .What is the age limit does anyone know 35 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Phillip k wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know when they will start up recruiting again? I'm 28 soon so not going to get many more chances lol .What is the age limit does anyone know 35 ?

There will be another recruitment for 800 coming up again within the coming months. There has been regular recruitment campaigns for a few years now The force is targeted to be brought up to strength by 2021. The age limit is 35. You can set-up alerts on your public jobs account to be notified of the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mackaattackin

Have my fitness test Friday week (22nd march) but I'm after injuring my knee playing soccer last night so don't know if I'll be able to do it. Going to see a phisyo on Thursday but would anyone have any advice? If i cancel will i be waiting much longer for another date for fitness test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Have my fitness test Friday week (22nd march) but I'm after injuring my knee playing soccer last night so don't know if I'll be able to do it. Going to see a phisyo on Thursday but would anyone have any advice? If i cancel will i be waiting much longer for another date for fitness test?

I rang last week about postponing mine and they told me I just needed to email a doctors line.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

I've been waiting to hear back in regards to my vetting for months now. I did the interview and brought everything in, but was asked to provide more via post. I did that months ago but still heard nothing. Do you think it would be acceptable to ring them to enquire? I've emailed but got no response. What can I say on the phone? Can I request some sort of timescale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Id say get in touch with hq maybe and see what the story is . Just be out front and say you did vetting awhile back and was wondering what stage it is at .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

LukeP26 wrote: »
    I've been waiting to hear back in regards to my vetting for months now. I did the interview and brought everything in, but was asked to provide more via post. I did that months ago but still heard nothing. Do you think it would be acceptable to ring them to enquire? I've emailed but got no response. What can I say on the phone? Can I request some sort of timescale?

If you are from the 2018 campaign you haven’t been waiting that long considering. There are still plenty on here form 2017 and even some waiting from 2016.
    If you ever lived abroad that could hold it up?

No harm in giving them a call to check everything is in order though.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    If you are from the 2018 campaign you haven’t been waiting that long considering. There are still plenty on here form 2017 and even some waiting from 2016.
    If you ever lived abroad that could hold it up?

No harm in giving them a call to check everything is in order though.

I did live in England, so unfortunately it must be holding me back

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I'll call them on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Guys iv got a small problem wondering if anyone here can help. Im in Defence forces and im currently under an eight year work contract iv done three years so far.

If i was to leave this year id have to buy myself out of my contract and i could have to pay a lot of money to get out.

Anyone else here in a similar situation to me? I know one guy who was in a similar contract to me and he ended up being quoted 24 k but paid 6k in the end .

I dont want to have to pay such a ridiculous amount of money, anyways anyone with any advice id be very grateful. I dont know what to do i dont want to pay a lot of money to leave and then go down to such a low amount of money ..

I don't think you can get out of paying some sort of fee to get out of the contract mate. No offence and all but you did sign and agree to the contract which would have told you that there would be a price if you had to breach it.

You'll have to look into exactly how much it'll cost you id say and see if it's worth it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Planes 1997

Anyone else apply through the Irish stream hear anything back? I passed my English interview and am awaiting to do the physical. Last year I had an interview in Irish too. Just wondering if anyone knows what the process is for Irish stream this year

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Guys iv got a small problem wondering if anyone here can help. Im in Defence forces and im currently under an eight year work contract iv done three years so far.

If i was to leave this year id have to buy myself out of my contract and i could have to pay a lot of money to get out.

Anyone else here in a similar situation to me? I know one guy who was in a similar contract to me and he ended up being quoted 24 k but paid 6k in the end .

I dont want to have to pay such a ridiculous amount of money, anyways anyone with any advice id be very grateful. I dont know what to do i dont want to pay a lot of money to leave and then go down to such a low amount of money ..

Speak to an employment lawyer. No one here will be of any help.
    One thing I'd be fairly sure of is that you can't be forced to work, regardless of a contract. Pure speculation here, but were you to 'retire' before starting the application process that could be a way out.

On another note, giving a 8 year contract to a young fellow (which you presumably were when you signed it) is immoral in the extreme, especially with heavy penalties in the case of non-fulfilment. Absolute joke of a situation you've found yourself in. Most of us are here because we also have had a change of heart. I hope you find a way out. Definitely speak to an employment lawyer anyway.

I've been invited to sit an Irish exam (oral and written), does that mean that my background checks are done?

Also any tips, advice or instructor recommendation for the Irish exam for someone who is crap at Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

LukeP26 wrote: »
    I've been invited to sit an Irish exam (oral and written), does that mean that my background checks are done?

Also any tips, advice or instructor recommendation for the Irish exam for someone who is crap at Irish?

Nope, your background checks will take you up to the last minute in most cases! Have you met a sgt or super yet?

Will few minor things on pulse system go against you . ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Conji21

Garda at my stage 2 said a few garda previously had JLOs etc so you should be okay as long as you stated it in your form b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Nobody can really answer this accurately but if it is minor as you say, then probably not.

I was invited to do the Irish exam. Does anyone know if you're able to access past exams so I can study? Or anything at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

It depends.

To be honest only they can answer that question for you. However I was picked up as a kid for stupid things a few times. I thought their might be a record but thankfully not. I guess it depends on what age you were and the severity.
    I'd imagine assault charges or drink driving would be a red flag. I didn't mention my interactions with them and they didn't come up. But if it's recent enough it might be wise to prepare a good response.

Nothing serious like that . Just had a problem with an ex girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grod18

Hi Guys,

I had my interview at the end of Feb and successfully passed the interview.

I haven't heard anything yet about fitness, medical or meeting the superintendent.

Does anyone know how long this takes or how they contact you to call you forward, eg email or phone call?

Also does anyone have a contact number or email address to get an update on your progress with vetting etc

I was in the 800's oom

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stevencallan

Grod18 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I had my interview at the end of Feb and successfully passed the interview.

I haven't heard anything yet about fitness, medical or meeting the superintendent.

Does anyone know how long this takes or how they contact you to call you forward, eg email or phone call?

Also does anyone have a contact number or email address to get an update on your progress with vetting etc

I was in the 800's oom

Thanks everyone.

I had my interview in January got word in march that i passed.
    I was also 800 oom and I have not heard a word.
    I know that a lad was waiting 8 months but i also know someone who had everything done in a few months
    I guess it all depends just looks like its a waiting game now

Do you know how they contact us to move forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sabrinam002

Do you know how they contact us to move forward?

Hey, it's all done by email after the interview stage! I had my interview in January found out I passed a week and a half later and got word the end of March for the fitness last Friday. I'm checking my emails every five minutes to see if I'm going to be called for my medical 😂

I'm panicking a bit about the fitness and my BMI, I am currently over 30 so hoping it won't be for another while lol is there a number for HR or an email so you can get an update on your application

Hi guys, I have my Irish test in a few weeks and I'm starting to panic! I've been studying Irish for a few weeks now but I rang public jobs and the only info they give is it's to a leaving cert ordinary standard with a D3 as a minimum result. They won't provide any other details at all. Can anyone who's done it before let me know what sort of questions they ask in the oral part at least? I hate going into it blind

• Advertisement

I'm panicking a bit about the fitness and my BMI, I am currently over 30 so hoping it won't be for another while lol is there a number for HR or an email so you can get an update on your application

They usually give you two weeks notice for the fitness test. I'm not sure if you're male or female but quite a few girls failed on the bleep test not having prepared enough. If you fail you get one last attempt at it in 12 weeks. I've heard the BMI isn't to much of a problem if you're fit.

Advertisement