Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

You'd be raging if you didn't.

"Let's go and see Notre Dame Cathedral!"

"Calm down, it'll still be there tomorrow"

As someone who was up the Eiffel tower when the Paris attack happened, not a fun feeling I'll tell ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You have to be mentally unwell or around 13 years old to possibly laugh or gloat about the destruction of a building older than the Aztecs.

It's a symptom of the general stupidity leeching from some of the usual AH threads. A snap shot of how stupid and ignorant some of the people we're unfortunate to share our country with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Watching Notre Dame burning makes me feel so sad. It also makes me wonder if we are long past our zenith in terms of art and the creation of beautiful and lasting works. 850 years ago architects with pen and paper designed Notre Dame and builders without power tools built it. Yet today, with computer aided design and immense building power, all we get is glass boxes that will be lucky to last 50 years, never mind 850. While in fine art we get bland, talentless, rubbish that can only hang it's hat on controversy or shock value. A fragment of mankind's soul has been lost today. And I'm not referring to religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just looking at pictures that CNN of it in happier times and there is a lot of wooden seats(obviously) and wood along the walls. And that fire is nowhere near out yet. I mean it’s still glowing red and there are visible flames still.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's the problem? Muslims have form for destroying churches in France, no harm in pointing that out.

Or a Swedish Black Metal band on tour?

Seeing as we’re speculating in the face of a likely and probable cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The spire of Notre Dame cathedral has collapsed. What an absolute tragedy, how could this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Wouldn’t like to be the Project Manager on that Project. More then likely faulty wiring from Temporary electricity or Hot Works, the same as Penney’s in Belfastid say.

What's the problem? Muslims have form for destroying churches in France, no harm in pointing that out.

Because it's ****ing stupid unless you like to cream your pants at the thought.

LirW wrote: »
    It depends on a couple of factors really but if you have wiring running along it, maybe a bit of wind outside, dry air in the church it can go really fast. Also if it's caught by a big fire already it devours anything in its way.
    Think of 800 year old seasoned hardwood.

I'm really curious what the report will say at the end.

Would they have those gas canisters or blow torches up there for heating tar etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

This is the first time I've watched a rolling news channel in a very long time. Sky News presenters don't like dead air, do they? Christ alive, let the images do the talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No matter what happens it will be rebult. The only good thing so far is that nobody has been killed, lets hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,337 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The problem with wooden buildings is that the heat of the fire preps the areas around perfectly to keep the fire going and consuming all in front of it.
    Well nigh impossible to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Varta wrote: »
    Watching Notre Dame burning makes me feel so sad. It also makes me wonder if we are long past our zenith in terms of art and the creation of beautiful and lasting works. 850 years ago architects with pen and paper designed Notre Dame and builders without power tools built it. Yet today, with computer aided design and immense building power, all we get is glass boxes that will be lucky to last 50 years, never mind 850. While in fine art we get bland, talentless, rubbish that can only hang it's hat on controversy or shock value. A fragment of mankind's soul has been lost today. And I'm not referring to religion.

Perfectly said.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No matter what happens it will be rebult. The only good thing so far is that nobody has been killed, lets hope it stays that way.

The pressure on Macron to get this rebuilt will be immense. No matter the cost it'll be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

This is the first time I've watched a rolling news channel in a very long time. Sky News presenters don't like dead air, do they? Christ alive, let the images do the talking.

Here's a live feed with no commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Would they have those gas canisters or blow torches up there for heating tar etc?

Welding work could have been done which of course needs to be treated with utmost care or you have a fire party.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

One good thing is that France 24 are quoting a priest from the cathedral that the artwork and the crown of thorns are saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just thinking how dangerous it will be for engineering surveys and fire investigations to be undertaken. If anything is left, it would take brave people to go in there.

What a tragedy. But thankfully no one died or was injured. That's something I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just earlier, I mentioned the fire at theatre La Fenice in Venice.
    Here an article in English on the story.
    http://blogvenice.com/2016/02/venice-la-fenice-20-years-ago-comeera-dovera/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hurrache wrote: »
    Get outta here would ya. Sure he might as well have posted links to the Dresden fire bombings as they have as much relevancy here.

So in summary - he posts links that showed previous plots targeting the notre dame church by isis. Then he posts links that show 10 french churches were vandalised recently and thats in no way relevant!!!
    I was in the imperial war museum in london years ago n one of the items on view was an ira incendiary bomb on a timer that was copped before it went off in the museum. It'd be handy enough for a lad working on the job to leave one behind I'd imagine. Anyway, idle speculation, hope it ups the game fire prevention wise of all other iconic buildings.

• Advertisement

Still an inferno inside the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,108 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

All the news channels seem to be stumbling a bit trying to talk about it, quality of the anchor people not the best

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Boards is an utter cesspit and this thread is proof of that.

A tragic and historic day. What an utterly terrible loss.

Don't lump everyone in with the pit of misery and bitterness that is After Hours.

Ermmm
    enricoh wrote: »
    So in summary - he posts links that showed previous plots targeting the notre dame church by isis. Then he posts links that show 10 french churches were vandalised recently and thats in no way relevant!!!..........
    idle speculation.

Plenty of bull**** threads to take that crap to, keeps the rest of us sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

nullzero wrote: »
    I hope Peter Beardsley got out OK.

He's grand!

The scaffolding doesn't look in the best shape now. Glowing red in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Very sad news. Construction work started nearly a millennia ago, and it’s burning down now right in front of our eyes.

Even when the fire is out, it will take ages before it’s safe to go in, then all the assessment and stabilization, then planning and finally rebuilding. It’s going to be a lifetime project. Just like the original build in some ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The pressure on Macron to get this rebuilt will be immense. No matter the cost it'll be done.

Even if they rebuild, it will only be a 21st century reconstruction of a medieval building. So much has been destroyed today that is irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

A great shame :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just thinking how dangerous it will be for engineering surveys and fire investigations to be undertaken. If anything is left, it would take brave people to go in there.

What a tragedy. But thankfully no one died or was injured. That's something I suppose.

They can use a crane, lift and bucket etc and approach it from a top down

Advertisement