Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    At the moment the two motorized valve are connected to a thermostat. So once the thermostat gets to a certain temp it will close the value and also it is connected to turn off the boiler.

Now if I connected via the switch, I could manually turn on the valve and it would in turn send hot water to that section of house and then turn it off when I don't want. I would not use the switch to turn on/off the boiler. This would still be managed via the Climote system in place.

So I would have 4 zone, today I don't want bedroom 2,3,4 to heat up as nobody in them, just get switch to turn off motorized value, so then when heating turns on it doesn't send hot water to that section of house......other option is smart thermostatic values on the radiators but I have 20+ rads so it would cost a lot more

What if the boiler/ Pump isnt running and you open the zone ?

I have a similar set up for hotwater, the only reaf diff, my boiler has power 24/7 as does the main pump ( it's not a great design, im working towards fixing it) I use a Th16 to monitor the temp in the hot tank, when it hits 40 degrees, the Pow R2 opens the motorized valve, and closes it once the Temp hits 60 ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dr4gul4 wrote: »

I have a similar set up for hotwater, the only reaf diff, my boiler has power 24/7 as does the main pump ( it's not a great design, im working towards fixing it) I use a Th16 to monitor the temp in the hot tank, when it hits 40 degrees, the Pow R2 opens the motorized valve, and closes it once the Temp hits 60 ..

I would need to somehow connect both the pump and the valve. So if you open the zone then you turn on the valve to pump the water.

Based on a faulty pump recently, if the pump comes on it seems to trigger the boiler to start so I would need to be careful with it. But again if I manage from phone it would be ok

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Why do you ask? Is this bad practice?

I've a somewhat unique scenario where i've got upstairs zoned (or to be zoned, the valve is in, but nothing wired up). I have a sonoff controlling my boiler on/off. I have temperature sensors around the house also. Using these temperature sensors, I want to be able to close/open the valve upstairs so that during the day i'm not unnecessarily heating the upstairs of the house.

If the boiler is off, and the valve is open, what harm? That's how my heating is setup most the day anyways.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Based on a faulty pump recently, if the pump comes on it seems to trigger the boiler to start so I would need to be careful with it. But again if I manage from phone it would be ok

This could be the case, altho I would maybe see it as backwards ( deployment specific ).

Your Climote currently is the Switched Live for the boiler / pump, you could need to know if this SL is active, and if so, only trigger the Valve.

It's all do able, in theory, look at the shell1 devices they might serve the Climote part, or maybe a sonoff 4 chan pro configured in interlocking mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

For all these applications - do consider consider fault conditions -
    eg. if you are away for a weekend and the internet goes down, or sonoff servers go down (they have in the past), or a password expires somewhere - could the device end up be left powered on continuously and would that be a bad thing.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    eg. if you are away for a weekend and the internet goes down, or sonoff servers go down (they have in the past), or a password expires somewhere - could the device end up be left powered on continuously and would that be a bad thing.

Very true, though if you're away for the weekend you'd likely not leave the heating on before you go. Sonoff has a button to toggle on/off in event of a server outage or password issue.

I flash all my Sonoffs with Tasmota and run them posting locally to an MQTT server. Heating is controlled by Home Assistant, so internet going down isn't a problem. If a sensor or switch disconnects (it'll reconnect by might not establish a link to MQTT - this has happened before and caused my heating to stay on for too long while I was in the house) I can use its last will and testament sent by the device as a flag to initiate a reboot.

So far i've had no noticeable outages since implementing this reboot flag.

I can use its last will and testament sent by the device as a flag to initiate a reboot.

So far i've had no noticeable outages since implementing this reboot flag.

I'd be interested to see how you achieved that BK ? is it an automation, or a Rule in tasmota ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've flashed one of my S26's with Tasmota but it won't boot from the mains but as soon as I power the 3.3v line it boots and I can connect and configure it, anyone seen anything like this?

I'd be interested to see how you achieved that BK ? is it an automation, or a Rule in tasmota ?

I jinxed it. I had 2 sensors stop transmitting yesterday, and my automation didn't kick them back to life. I've updated it now to curl a reboot command to them. I might need to add some retries for resiliency.
    I'm still using the LWT to trigger the reboot via home assistant.

I should clear up. I flash my Sonoffs with Tasmota, and they've been rock solid. I flash my Wemos D1 minis with ESPEasy, since I use these as temperature sensors with a 7 seg display attached. Tasmota does send a lwt if you wanted to apply the same principles.

For example:
    lwt message:
    /ESPEasy_MasterBedroom/status/LWT Connected

I pull that value into home assistant:
    sensor:
      - platform: mqtt
        name: "Master Bedroom - LWT"
        state_topic: "/ESPEasy_MasterBedroom/status/LWT"

And use automation to reboot the sensor (flashed with ESPEasy)
    automation:
      - alias: Master Bedroom ESP Recovery
        trigger:
          platform: state
          entity_id: sensor.master_bedroom_lwt
          to: 'Connection Lost'
          for:
            minutes: 5
        action:
          - service: shell_command.esp_reboot
            data_template:
              url: 'http://192.168.0.91/?cmd=reboot'

So far i'm only really seeing my device disconnect from my MQTT broker, so the IP is still available. If it fell off the network and needed a reboot, i'm out of luck, though I could try retrying the automation over and over if by chance it reconnects.

The setup I mentioned previously was posting to a topic which the sensor was listing to. ESPEasy has a device type called "MQTT Import" which will listen to a topic. I combine that with a "Rule" in ESPEasy to reboot the device when I send the specific value to that topic.

Rule:
    on System#Boot do
     Publish %sysname%/status,Booted
     Publish %sysname%/IP,%ip%
    endon

on sniff#cmdMQTT=1 do
      Publish /%sysname%/IP,%ip%
    endon

on sniff#cmdMQTT=2 do
      Publish /%sysname%/Time,%systime%
    endon

on sniff#cmdMQTT=3 do
     Publish /%sysname%/status,Rebooting
     Reboot
    endon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

tnegun wrote: »
    I've flashed one of my S26's with Tasmota but it won't boot from the mains but as soon as I power the 3.3v line it boots and I can connect and configure it, anyone seen anything like this?

Just to reply to my own question, the PSU on the board isn't working the other 2 S26s I flashed without issue. Have come across another problem with a couple of basics and a S20 they're flashed with ESPEasy and I can't get them into Flash mode to reflash them any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭antietam1

Don't know if you guys recall but as an electrician I was struggling and embarrassed trying to get sonoff to work on my mobile data and more or less gave up.
    Had to get vodaphone to replace my phone and it all works fine now, still have to turn off wifi to get the Kasa app( xmas gift) working on mobile data.
    May I ask where is the best place to update the app for sonoff, the app store?
    got the app updated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wanna get a few Sonoff 26's but avoid lengthy shipping from China. Anyone recommend a Irish/UK seller at decent prices?

Shpongler wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I found the output live from the mechanical timer and connected the live from the sonoff to it. It's working away fine. I don't need to use the mechanical timer anymore as it runs slow.
    One thing I am wondering is, do I need to wire up the neutral too, or is it fine as is?

I'm still going to do a proper job and order a sonoff basic and use the s26 for something more suitable.

I always just switch the live through the device and leave the neutral as is .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wanna get a few Sonoff 26's but avoid lengthy shipping from China. Anyone recommend a Irish/UK seller at decent prices?

Amazon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

ozmo wrote: »

This is a concern I have - are there different versions or can you hard code so that they fail either o/c or c/c as suits your application?

I'm just looking for a timed relay to operate a 2kw bathroom heater, don't want it failing ON while we are away! Needs to fit in an existing single gang back box. May just go with a regular push button timer for this so kids can operate it easily.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is a concern I have - are there different versions or can you hard code so that they fail either o/c or c/c as suits your application?

Obviously fail off is safer. Remember there is a manual override button on the Sonoff. Not sure if this is on all, but it is on the TH16 and TH10.
    May just go with a regular push button timer for this so kids can operate it easily.

This option could be wired to work in parallel to a Sonoff.

Guys I seem to frequently get the message "session ended" both on my phone and tablet.
    Need to enlarge the font size for when I am out on my walk, is this doable?
    Anyhow is it normal to get session ended a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Obviously I am very late to this party :D I have some questions I hope someone can answer as I have not found definitive evidence so far ....

1. Sonoff Basic: After a power outage, when power is reapplied to the Sonoff, in what state is the relay? Does it settle to connected or open? Does it perhaps go closed then open shortly afterwards or vice versa?

2. Relay: One video I saw seemed to show the relay as a 5V device (coil) but would like to know for definite what DC voltage is generated by the PSU and used on the board.

3. Sonoffs - general: Is it necessary to access the Sonoffs (at least initially) via a specific app or can they be accessed in any other way to initialise them and join them to the network (get IP address etc.)?

4. Home Assistant: what are you using for
    a) PC hardware
    b) Operating system
    Any other items that should be considered when planning to get into some of this.

I have a multi-zone (multi-loop) underfloor heating system, and plan to have remote control of each loop using individual actuators on the manifold. I plan to set up some groups as well as having individual control and reckon separate Sonoff Basics would suit fine, all housed in a box for tidiness. If this is not desirable or the most efficient please comment.

All of this is intended to be only available to local control, probably from a Linux PC. I expect to use a separate router and LAN segment which should keep things isolated as I wish.

I also expect to have to flash the Sonoffs with Tasmota to get all the functionality I need. Some advise on the best hardware to buy for my intended use would be appreciated .... it must be compatible with Linux for instance.

I am attempting to plan ahead so I know what I will need to have/do long before I actually get around to do it :D

BTW, While reading this thread I saw lots of references to Stringify, so thought this link dated 8th April ....... it does not give year so wondered if it is current?
    https://www.stringify.com/stringifyshuttingdown/

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I've attempted to answer some of your questions below:
    Obviously I am very late to this party :D I have some questions I hope someone can answer as I have not found definitive evidence so far ....

1. Sonoff Basic: After a power outage, when power is reapplied to the Sonoff, in what state is the relay? Does it settle to connected or open? Does it perhaps go closed then open shortly afterwards or vice versa?
    You can select to maintain the previous state or have it on or off when power is restored in the default app.
    2. Relay: One video I saw seemed to show the relay as a 5V device (coil) but would like to know for definite what DC voltage is generated by the PSU and used on the board.
    They use 5V relays. This one is compatible with them - https://ie.farnell.com/omron-electronic-components/g5ca-1ae-5dc/relay-spst-125vac-30vdc-15a/dp/1257565
    3. Sonoffs - general: Is it necessary to access the Sonoffs (at least initially) via a specific app or can they be accessed in any other way to initialise them and join them to the network (get IP address etc.)?
    Using the default app/firmware there is local network support now but you need internet access for adding devices etc. For local use you'd really be better off with Tasmota or another alternative FW.
    I have a multi-zone (multi-loop) underfloor heating system, and plan to have remote control of each loop using individual actuators on the manifold. I plan to set up some groups as well as having individual control and reckon separate Sonoff Basics would suit fine, all housed in a box for tidiness. If this is not desirable or the most efficient please comment.
    The 4 channel version is a tidier proposition for installations like this, the end result will be more compact. The basic version uses a common neutral across all 4 channels, the pro version has independent neutral connections and supports channel interlocking etc.
    I also expect to have to flash the Sonoffs with Tasmota to get all the functionality I need. Some advise on the best hardware to buy for my intended use would be appreciated .... it must be compatible with Linux for instance.
    In terms of the devices themselves they're all the same in this regard.

@air

Thank you for your clear responses. Much appreciated.

I will read again tomorrow (past sleep time now) and hopefully absorb the info better.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    I've attempted to answer some of your questions below:

You can select to maintain the previous state or have it on or off when power is restored in the default app.

That's good news, and as much as I had hoped for.

Nice to have the relay confirmed.

Do you know what other voltages the on board PSU generates? ... 5v and maybe 3.3v etc?

Do you know if there is a scematic of the board on line anywhere?

Using the default app/firmware there is local network support now but you need internet access for adding devices etc. For local use you'd really be better off with Tasmota or another alternative FW.

Thanks for that .... seems the first order of business will be to flash any device I get, as I have no intention of using their internet thingy. :)
    The 4 channel version is a tidier proposition for installations like this, the end result will be more compact. The basic version uses a common neutral across all 4 channels, the pro version has independent neutral connections and supports channel interlocking etc.

Thanks for that. Yes for ease of wiring it seems the 4 channel versions will be much more convenient.

I would hope not to need the Pro version and be able to group channels as I wish in whatever controlling software I use ..... do I understand this correctly?
    In terms of the devices themselves they're all the same in this regard.

The 4 channel devices are as easy/hard to flash as the single devices using the same flash hardware ...... but different flash software?

Your post has been most helpful.
    I tend to approach things from a different angle to most it seems, so a lot of my questions don't seem to be covered by the general info I read.

Thanks again ........ if there is anything else you or others would like to add I would be grateful for the extra info. ;)

Is there an electrical or performance difference between the S20 and S26 socket switches?
    I have checked the Itead page and failed to see anything other than price and shape differences.

I must have missed something while looking at the product list down the page here

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-s26-wifi-smart-plug.html

Just dropping a note to say I noticed that the 4 channel Sonoff has a TOTAL load capacity of 16A with each individual switch rated at 10A.

For my intended use it will not matter, but if switching heavier loads then individual switches might be necessary giving a total load of 40A for 4.

I would appreciate it if some links to the purchase of the USB to TTL device which worked without problems could be posted.
    From what I read some of the flashing fails due to 3.3V voltage drop over the leads, but some devices use extra circuitry to deliver 3.3V at a higher power.

Trying to ensure I get reliable device (or 2) is all. :)

Thanks for any tips/links in this regards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just dropping a note to say I noticed that the 4 channel Sonoff has a TOTAL load capacity of 16A with each individual switch rated at 10A.

For my intended use it will not matter, but if switching heavier loads then individual switches might be necessary giving a total load of 40A for 4.

All you have to do is to get the Sonoff device to switch a contactor that has the required rating.

So if I had a 40 amp load that I needed to control via a Sonoff I would simply get the Sonoff to switch a contactor rated for a minimum of 40A. The load is then fed through the contractor. This would be considered standard practice. It is best to build in a safety margin so I would generally select a contractor rated for at least 45A.

2011 wrote: »
    All you have to do is to get the Sonoff device to switch a contactor that has the required rating.

So if I had a 40 amp load that I needed to control via a Sonoff I would simply get the Sonoff to switch a contactor rated for a minimum of 40A. The load is then fed through the contractor. This would be considered standard practice. It is best to build in a safety margin so I would generally select a contractor rated for at least 45A.

Yes I am aware I can use an external relay to switch heavy loads.
    I was not aware until today that the total load of a 4 channel unit was only 16 Amp while each individual has a 10 Amp rating.

Without that info it would have been easy to try switching 4 x 5amp loads and exceed the overall rating.

Just a quick comment for johnboy there, take a look at esphome if you are in a greenfield state, it integrates with HA and cuts out the requirement for MQTT.

If you're hoping to control the UFH loops with the 4chan pro's how are you intending on telling them to open ?

Just a quick comment for johnboy there, take a look at esphome if you are in a greenfield state, it integrates with HA and cuts out the requirement for MQTT.

If you're hoping to control the UFH loops with the 4chan pro's how are you intending on telling them to open ?

Thanks that esphome is on my 'to read' list ..... was reading a bit about it yesterday. :)
    Do you use it?

Yes I am in a completely HA virgin state here.

I was looking at the 4 ch units rather than the Pro version.
    Is there a reason I should consider the Pro?

My present leaning is to set up a completely separate network (wired for cameras and wires for control switches etc) using a spare router, and have on that LAN segment a PC of some form that will run whatever software (Home Assistant seems a good candidate) is deemed suitable to control everything.
    The UFH will be done mainly on time .... mine is the slow response and lasting heat type, using about 4" thick concrete around the pipes.
    Other parameters to the controller should be easy to add after it is all functional .... such as outside temp and wind which would impact on the duration required to heat the floors.

The other thing I wish to have is security camera control ..... maybe 3 cameras in use. I know I want to have these, but have not quite decided how best to make them easy manage and access etc etc.
    It is for this use that I might need to buy a phone or tablet or such, and maybe incorporate a warning bell somewhere.
    Living in a dead zone for mobile has meant that we never bothered with mobile phones much. There is one that is almost never used but taken out of house on trips ...... but it is not a smart phone, just an emergency calling device.

I realise I most likely will not get all the functions and security I want, but I guess aim high is the motto :)

Definitely my cameras will not be accessing the internet.
    I will have ethernet connected cameras rather than using wireless.
    Video stored locally, and backed up.
    Yes it is more hassle on the surface, but as the cameras have to be powered anyway then the extra wiring is not a big deal IMO, but security is more easily managed and assured.

All this is a long term project over the next 6 or 8 months I hope.
    I intend to get the hardware and maybe do a temporary software set up, so I become familiar with things before I deploy.
    Of course that time scale is depending on outside factors .... such as builders/renovators appearing and working to proposed schedule and price. :)
    I live in hope!

Please pick holes in my proposed set up so that I can take account of changes now.
    I am completely new to this so quite likely I am making false assumptions or other mistakes.

Thanks.

Yes I am aware I can use an external relay to switch heavy loads.

Ok.
    I was not aware until today that the total load of a 4 channel unit was only 16 Amp while each individual has a 10 Amp rating.

No offence intended but if you are working with mains voltage checking the loads (in terms of current and voltage) that a component can safely carry is a fundamental. Failure to do so can result become in a property damage / injury or worse!

When dealing with 230VAC in a domestic installation the National Rules for Electrical Installations, ET101:2008 apply. This is not optional, it is a legal requirement. That means that no assumptions should be made for any conductor or component in terms of current carrying capacity.
    Without that info it would have been easy to try switching 4 x 5amp loads and exceed the overall rating.

Then you would have been proceeding without due diligence. This is part of the reason that from a legal perspective work such as this must be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor. When completed this work must be tested with calibrated test equipment and certified.

You can get away with a lot more when you are mucking about with 5 volts, mains voltage is potentially lethal, as such should be treated accordingly.

Apologies if I have offended, that is not my intention.

2011 wrote: »
    Ok.

No offence intended but if you are working with mains voltage checking the loads (in terms of current and voltage) that a component can safely carry is a fundamental. Failure to do so can result become in a property damage / injury or worse!

When dealing with 230VAC in a domestic installation the National Rules for Electrical Installations, ET101:2008 apply. This is not optional, it is a legal requirement. That means that no assumptions should be made for any conductor or component in terms of current carrying capacity.

Then you would have been proceeding without due diligence. This is part of the reason that from a legal perspective work such as this must be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor. When completed this work must be tested with calibrated test equipment and certified.

You can get away with a lot more when you are mucking about with 5 volts, mains voltage is potentially lethal, as such should be treated accordingly.

Apologies if I have offended, that is not my intention.

No offence taken.
    I am well aware of the the dangers and requirements of handling mains electricity and reasonably familiar with the regulations.

My intent in posting was to highlight the rated max load as I had not seen it mentioned in this thread for that 4ch. device. It would be easy for someone to make an assumption that the combined channels would have the same load bearing capabilities as four separate units.

It was posted for information purposes for those who might read the thread.
    You seem to be drawing some conclusions from that post that are not applicable.

I was investigating ..... yes doing due diligence .... the capabilities of the hardware suggested to me.
    I simply passed on some information that had not previously been highlighted that I recalled.

• Advertisement

^^^ Fair enough. Points well made.

I spend a lot of my time designing electrical control systems (in the industrial sector) for a living. When considering using a new control device this is one of the first things I look at. I would consider 16A to be quite a high rating for a unit such as this. Even if the loads (individually and collectively) were under the rating of the device best practice would be to use relays / contactors for a variety of reasons.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement