Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else enjoy being single?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

ashes2014 wrote: »
    You are definitely judging.

You cant have unrealistic expectations in place for people (max of 5 partners) and then claim not to be judging.

Your entitled to judge if you wish, but dont say you are not.
    Having a personal opinion isn't judging someone.
    I don't care if someone wants to sleep with 20,000 people, I'm entitled to offer my opinion and I certainly wouldn't be with a partner who had more than five sexual partners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

joeguevara wrote: »
    So your basic belief is that sex is unhealthy.

Casual sex with numerous partners is indisputably unhealthy, and that's what the poster was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Having a personal opinion isn't judging someone.
    I don't care if someone wants to sleep with 20,000 people, I'm entitled to offer my opinion and I certainly wouldn't be with a partner who had more than five sexual partners
    Have to agree to disagree on this one.

Referring to people who sleep with more than 5 people as a bike is 100% judging.

Technically judging is forming an opinion, which is what you are doing. Again thats fine if you want to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I have a feeling Charles is just trolling......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Look, it's a free country - if Charles here wants to look down the no doubt extremely long list of women eager to enter into a relationship with him, and cross out the names of every woman he knows has had 5 or more partners, that is his choice.

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Charles is just trolling......

Honestly not my friend just an old fashioned Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Mary Magdalene wasn’t a prostitute.

Such an unequivocal statement without anything to back it up. Ok, let's look at the facts from a text that some argue has no factual basis.

Mary Magdalene was a woman who had no husband and followed Jesus around. She has been described in at least three different gospels as a reformed character who Jesus cast out seven demons from. Another Gospel describes how she was refused entrance to a Pharisees house as she was a woman with a bad name. She was also described in a gospel as providing for Jesus. She also in all gospels was depicted as taking out a jar of expensive ointment to rub on Jesus.

So a single woman, in a time where arranged marriages existed, could follow a single man around for 3 years from town to town, refused entrance to houses because of a bad name and had the cash to buy expensive ointment when she had no job and had no issue with kissing a single man and rubbing his feet and drying them with her hair. Sorry, your right, it all points to a civil servant.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Look, it's a free country - if Charles here wants to look down the no doubt extremely long list of women eager to enter into a relationship with him, and cross out the names of every woman he knows has had 5 or more partners, that is his choice.

Mrs ingles is the only woman for me

Casual sex with numerous partners is indisputably unhealthy, and that's what the poster was referring to.

Putting the word casual in front of sex makes no difference. And who has decided that it is indisputably unhealthy. Saying something doesn't make it true, sex isn't unhealthy. Who are you to decide that having sex with numerous partners is unhealthy. Some might argue that having sex with just one is unhealthy. Don't just assume what is good or bad for another person.

"So"... no it isn't obviously. Because that's not what I said at all whatsoever.

You said that having sex with numerous strangers is unhealthy. If we take away contracting an STD (as having sex with a million disease free partners will mean no disease as opposed to having sex with one partner and getting one), then it is your argument that somehow it is unhealthy simply by the fact that you didn't know irrelevant facts about a person.

Is knowing their star sign, what they like for dinner and whether they are allergic to wheat and a million other facts what makes sex healthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I only said your comment was, which it was. I don't barge into threads throwing vague blanket insults rather than engaging.

Snide means underhanded. It wasn't underhanded.

lastword.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Such an unequivocal statement without anything to back it up. Ok, let's look at the facts from a text that some argue has no factual basis.

Mary Magdalene was a woman who had no husband and followed Jesus around. She has been described in at least three different gospels as a reformed character who Jesus cast out seven demons from. Another Gospel describes how she was refused entrance to a Pharisees house as she was a woman with a bad name. She was also described in a gospel as providing for Jesus. She also in all gospels was depicted as taking out a jar of expensive ointment to rub on Jesus.

So a single woman, in a time where arranged marriages existed, could follow a single man around for 3 years from town to town, refused entrance to houses because of a bad name and had the cash to buy expensive ointment when she had no job and had no issue with kissing a single man and rubbing his feet and drying them with her hair. Sorry, your right, it all points to a civil servant.

Think you’re confusing Mary Magdalene with Mary of Bethany and that other unnamed “sinful” women.

The tide is turning…

Think you’re confusing Mary Magdalene with Mary of Bethany and that other unnamed “sinful” women.

Ok which part are you suggesting is Mary of Bethany? Or is it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I like being single.

I also like ridin'

I like being single.

I also like ridin'

I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.

https://youtu.be/pRE23YfSvc8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

was trying to find out at what age it might be more enjoyable to be single. some say it could be 50 ?!?

but it appears single life is getting better with age https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/living-single/201901/the-single-life-may-get-even-better-age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

You said that having sex with numerous strangers is unhealthy. If we take away contracting an STD (as having sex with a million disease free partners will mean no disease as opposed to having sex with one partner and getting one), then it is your argument that somehow it is unhealthy simply by the fact that you didn't know irrelevant facts about a person.

Is knowing their star sign, what they like for dinner and whether they are allergic to wheat and a million other facts what makes sex healthy?
    You said my basic belief is sex is unhealthy. Such nonsense and cherrypicking. If that actually were the case, I would have said any casual sex whatsoever was unhealthy - actually I would have even said sex in a relationship is unhealthy, what with you claiming my basic belief is sex is unhealthy.

Compulsive, reckless, addictive, risky behaviour on a very regular basis is unhealthy - that's what I was saying. Casual sex with a stranger is not "No big deal" like having a cup of tea either.
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    Snide means underhanded. It wasn't underhanded.

lastword.jpg
    Well it was when you were so vague and sneery. I'm not underhanded either, despite your suggestion (and so what if people look to have the last word if they're actually engaging rather than just arguing for the sake of it).

You said my basic belief is sex is unhealthy. Such nonsense and cherrypicking. If that actually were the case, I would have said any casual sex whatsoever was unhealthy - actually I would have even said sex in a relationship is unhealthy, what with you claiming my basic belief is sex is unhealthy.

Compulsive, reckless, addictive, risky behaviour on a very regular basis is unhealthy - that's what I was saying. Casual sex with a stranger is not "No big deal" like having a cup of tea either.

Well it was when you were so vague and sneery. I'm not underhanded either, despite your suggestion (and so what if people look to have the last word if they're actually engaging rather than just arguing for the sake of it).

Ok, but is it your belief that having sex with many partners is 'compulsive, reckless, addictive and risky behaviour?' That is an issue to me because if someone has safe sex with consenting adults on a regular basis then it is not compulsive, reckless, addictive or risky. If it is enjoyable and between two (or more) people who want it then your description just doesn't hold water.

I like being single.

I also like ridin'

Catches up on you in the end

Catches up on you in the end

How does it catch up on you?

• Advertisement

How does it catch up on you?

Well if you're a man you end up lonely, overweight alcoholic that lives with his elderly mother.
    If you're a women you end up alone pretending your cats are you're children

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well if you're a man you end up lonely, overweight alcoholic that lives with his elderly mother.

I would love to have the self confidence you possess which allows you to persistently hold on to a false position ignoring all evidence to the contrary just because you think it is true.

it reminds me of the words of Charles Bukowski.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

I would love to have the self confidence you possess which allows you to persistently hold on to a false position ignoring all evidence to the contrary just because you think it is true.

it reminds me of the words of Charles Bukowski.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
    Charles bukowski? Never heard of her

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Charles bukowski? Never heard of her

Doesn't surprise me.

Fcuk this. Has to be a troll.

I will play along. How does having multiple sexual partners lead to that. Taking the statistic that 50% of marriages fail, someone who was monotonous all their lives could end up in the same fate.

Alcoholism has no correlation with sexual partners.

You can end up lonely whether you were faithful or a lothario. No one cares how many partners you have. Not people in business, not people who provide financial advice or even judges in court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

pgj2015 wrote: »
    For all you know Jesus had sex with 100+ people

Pretty sure it was only 12.

kowloon wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was only 12.

They were the guys that showed up to his stag. Treated to pizza and wind and a magic show. Things took a turn for the worst when one of the lads lobbed the gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

They were the guys that showed up to his stag. Treated to pizza and wind and a magic show. Things took a turn for the worst when one of the lads lobbed the gob.

-Isaiah 41:10

Pac1Man wrote: »
    -Isaiah 41:10

At first I thought you were drip feeding me the lotto numbers. But to answer your cryptic message, I'm not broken and I don't need your help. But if you have any more lotto numbers throw them up. I have John 3 10 already. Nice man in Crocker gave me those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You do know Jesus didn't judge Mary Magdalene, a prostitute and admonished so called pious hypocrites who looked down on her. If you look to Jesus for inspiration maybe you should do a slightly better job.

Is this what you are referring to? If so ? Not Mary Magdalene. Maybe heed your own words.. ;)
    Also she was breaking the law by committing adultery so it is not a matter of judging but of showing mercy to a wrongdoer caught in the act. Very different.

A Woman Caught in Adultery
    8 Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2 but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. 3 As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.

4 “Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”

6 They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. 7 They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” 8 Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.

9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. 10 Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”

11 “No, Lord,” she said.

And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

Advertisement