Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Won’t many residents with property backing into the line hate this outcome? A tram every single bloody minute at peak times going by?

Is the issue of bringing the tunnel out past dunville Avenue being ruled out on cost grounds ?

In fairness the metro is designed to run every 90 seconds, obviously it won’t be starting at that but has the ability for future needs. One every 45 seconds would be rough

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Won’t many residents with property backing into the line hate this outcome? A tram every single bloody minute at peak times going by?

Is the issue of bringing the tunnel out past dunville Avenue being ruled out on cost grounds ?

Dear god , they had the foresight to make the line metro capable, I wish they’d have sorted out the dunville issue at the time. Probably asking way too much though !

There was local pressure not to reinstate the overbridge there (the original line ran elevated) and so the embankment was removed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Dats me wrote: »
    Strassen I will admit that I don't like how combatitive you can be in your posts and that I got annoyed with you in this thread.

But I have to say I think in the context of this thread the latest developments are absolutely hilarious. I hope you're enjoying it.

It has been my contention for much of this thread that other European cities are achieving considerably higher tram throughputs than the current southside Green Line, even in situations with several road crossings and even up to and beyond 30 tph, and it is manageable in those cities.

It did seem that the 24 tph limit for Dublin was pretty arbitrary, and perhaps set at the initial stages of Green line operations - perhaps 12 tph - when the idea of 24 tph was probably outlandish. It didn't seem likely, to me, that other cities could do something in this area which was simply unachievable in Dublin.

I do feel vindicated, having been faced with bans for even mentioning potential higher throughputs in Dublin, and any number of posts along the lines of "Who are you to question the experts in the NTA who have established that 24 tph is the absolute limit?", etc., etc.

It is very good that 30 tph along the Green line has now been recognised as doable in Dublin by the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Christ it just beggars belief. It’s the same issue every time. Just do it! Look if local pressure won’t god knows how many apartments being raised to the ground. The spineless politicians shouldn’t have an issue with underpass for dunville and end of!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It is very good that 30 tph along the Green line has now been recognised as doable in Dublin by the relevant authorities.

Just to clarify though, it's only doable in very certain circumstances, and not in the city centre.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    strassenwo!f, to be VERY clear, you suggested more trams to Stephens Green. The NTA are still saying only 24 TPH to Stephens Green, but the possibility of 30TPH to Charlemont with a turn back platforms at Charlemont to link to the Metro there. Transfer people onto Metro at that location.

Yes, you're right, I did initially suggest more trams to St. Stephen's Green, with one in three of those trams using the siding there, and two out of three going through the heart of the city.

That might still be feasible, even at 30 tph, given that the Harcourt/Hatch and Harcourt/St. Stephen's Green junctions are nothing like as busy as the junctions further into the city, like at O'Connell Bridge. That scenario would still only involve 20 tph across the bridge, in other words the same as it is now.
    That is not at all what you were saying. You were saying that you can run more then 24 TPH on street running sections to Stephens Green, TII are still saying 24TPH is still the maximum for street running sections, but are suggesting an alternative of 30 TPH for a fully segregated section.

The other cities I've mentioned which are running 30 tph along city centre sections generally have very well-developed public transport systems, so there isn't the same kind of residual car volume in their centres that you still see in Dublin. I reckon around 20 tph is probably about the best Dublin can ever realistically do across O'Connell Bridge. The same as now.

But it has also been suggested on this thread that a Green line spur between Charlemont and Baggot Street Bridge - with possible extensions towards the Grand Canal Dock area - would also be a very useful addition to Dublin's transport network. This would directly serve areas (Baggot Street, Mount Street, Haddington Road, etc.) which are busy at peak times and don't currently have a connection to locsations on the Green line.

A relatively simple bit of LUAS construction along Adelaide Road could give Dublin perhaps an initial 6 tph to Baggot Street Bridge alongside the current 20 tph which it's currently doing through the city, at peak times.

That would be one way of utilising a potential 30 tph Green line to serve a number of busy areas in the city.

A number of posters here, perhaps in their earlier belief that Charlemont would be a rump LUAS station, have expressed their backing for a LUAS route between Charlemont and the Grand Canal area.
    Note that a turnback facility at Charelemont will most likely require extensive CPO's and bulldozers around that area. It will likely be as expensive as the Green line tie in. But it does kick the can further down the line so to speak.

There would be no need for any of that if a way could be found to bring the Cherrywood LUAS to other areas to which it could be connected, like Baggot Street Bridge, for example.

It might possibly end up being as expensive as a Green-line tie-ie, but we now have it officially, from the metrolink folk, that a Green line tie-in won't be necessary for another couple of decades.

So let's use that time, and the willingness to have a 30 tph service, to deliver better transport to other areas which could benefit.
    The other issue is that 30TPH through Dunville Avenue, etc. will almost effectively close it, with barely any time at all for cars and pedestrians to cross. IMO it will end up worse for them them then the over/underpass option.

I'd like to deal with that issue in my response to Salmocab in my reply to his post.

I'm trying to retrieve my stuff which would help me reply to Salmocab's post. His analysis looks good, but I reckon there is potentially a better prognosis for the Dunville Avenue situation. I'll get bet back to you as soon as I find it.

salmocab wrote: »
    Just on Dunville and the trams effectively closing the crossing, I don’t think it will be as bad as some think but certainly will make a bit of a balls of that crossing. It’s only a one way at a time crossing currently. From a northbound tram at the station it takes about 14/15 seconds from green to the tram passing. This will give probably 35/40 seconds on average for cars to cross I’d imagine that would get maybe 6/7 cars through. Obviously this will be variable based on the next tram along the other direction but it will mean some cars getting through followed by a wait of probably a couple of minutes at least until your direction gets the green again. The rush hours might be a massive pain especially for people trying to get off the residential roads that run parallel to the tracks. During the day it will be fine with less traffic and trams.

Yes, I've found my post in relation to this issue. The thread this came from has already been forgotten, but hopefully this will help readers to understand the Dunville Avenue issue.

But it is quite long, unfortunately.
    Ive just gone through Dunville ave a few minutes ago and timed the crossing, it took 14 seconds from the light changing to the back of the tram passing the crossing and presumably another 1/2 secs for the light to change again. That’s conservatively 15 secs per tram if anyone cares to work out the maths. It was a 55m tram I’m pretty sure.
    That's very much in line with my calculation above that it should take just under 12 seconds for a 55m tram to get across the crossing. Add in 2 seconds or so that the driver needs to check that there are no messers near the crossing and you get to the 14 seconds you saw. Another second or two for the lights to change and you get to, let's say, for the sake of argument, 20 seconds for the whole operation.

I've checked the throughput at that location several times, both on the website and by being there, and it is clear that the current throughput is 20 tph at peak times, in the morning peak heading into town. A tram, on average every 3 minutes. As I also mentioned above, my local traffic lights (on a two-way road, a single lane in each direction) gets on average 10 cars across the junction, in each direction (20 in total).

Given that there are fewer trams going against the peak direction, it should assuredly be very easy to set the traffic signals to favour trams travelling in the peak diection of travel, and trams going in the other direction may have to wait a short time. Thus in the morning peak they would prioritise northbound traffic at this junction and southbound traffic might have to wait a short time before crossing. This should not be a problem - it happens at many junctions in the city that a tram has to wait a short time.

At Dunville Avenue, at present, the above figures should give, on average, 2 minutes and 40 seconds to cross before the next tram cycle. Allowing 1 minute and 15 seconds for each direction, with a 10 second gap for the change, that equates to around 60 cars going across the crossing during each tram cycle, assuming the figures for my local crossing are pretty much replicated (and I can't see why they wouldn't be). 20 such cycles per hour (given a tram throughput of 20 tph) should theoretically allow 1,200 cars across that crossing per peak hour.

There are probably going to be people who 'just need to pop in for a second' to Morton's, at peak times, to pick up the week's supply of arugula and coconut milk, and park awkwardly outside the shop, screwing the whole thing up.

But even at just half the above figure (600 cars per hour), is there really such a level of demand to cross at Dunville Avenue at peak times?

If the LUAS Green line were to go to the maximum throughput which is currently allowable for tram systems in Ireland, 24 tph (a tram every 2.5 minutes), the corresponding figures would be a tram cycle of 150 seconds, a traffic cycle of 130 seconds, and a theoretical throughput of 960 cars per hour across that crossing at peak times. (If we factor in an occasional necessity to take the 4x4 to get some Manuka honey in Morton's, at peak times, and 'just park outside for a second', we can probably reduce that to a practical capacity of around 500 cars per hour).

Interestingly, in relation to this junction at Dunville Avenue, an increase of tram throughput to around a tram every 2 minutes - as seen in several European cities - would not appear to have a disastrously negative effect on the local road traffic at peak times. It would, of course, require a change to the current transport rules in Ireland - but that's easily done (much easier than the recent abortion change, or the civil partnership change, in the country's big rule book).

The next step for Dublin, from the current 20 tph to the maximum currently allowed (24 tph), would then be to a tram cycle of 120 seconds, which would probably be too short for travel in both directions at the Dunville Avenue junction. Thus you could dispense with the two-way traffic mentioned above, saving 10 seconds on the proposed changeover across that crossing.

Thus, a tram cycle of 2 minutes (120 seconds) would equate to 100 seconds of car traffic throughput of around 40 cars in just one direction on each cycle. The first cycle would be from one direction, the next would be from the other, and with 30 cycles per hour that equates to 600 cars across that crossing.

That would involve people waiting to cross the crossing, in some cases for about 4 minutes, but that is really quite small compared to what other Dubliners have to do to get across a junction. People travelling in cars across the DART line, for example, would often face much longer waits.

And it would probably be necessary at that stage to tighten up on the peak-time demand for quinoa-infused avocado.

A number of posters here, perhaps in their earlier belief that Charlemont would be a rump LUAS station, have expressed views in favour of a LUAS route between Charlemont and the Grand Canal area.

For example this one, post 8462 on page 565 on the Dublin Metrolink (just metrolink, etc) thread :
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Well it doesn't have to be a 'rump' line forever - there's a number of directions and points at which it could be spurred off to new destinations (one crayon route I had was you could send it down Adelaide Road > Wilton Terrace > Herbert Place > Grand Canal Street > Bath Avenue > Irishtown and the Glass Bottle development zone).

I'm pretty sure one of our other posters, Sam Russell, has expressed a similar view about a possible spur between Charlemont and the Grand Canal area, but I can't yet find concrete evidence of this. I hope I'm not misrepresenting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

marno21 wrote: »
    The interesting thing about option 3, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the idle Eastern Bypass reservation between UCD and Sandyford which negates the need for the whole Charlemont-Sandyford section to be tunnelled

Any chance a Metro could run above ground from Donnybrook bus garage, down the N11, via Eastern Bypass reservation at back of UCD, and down Drummartin Link Road to Kilmacud Luas stop?

It would be less than 2km of tunnel from where the Metrolink tunnel ends in Ranelagh to Donnybrook bus garage. Kilmacud would become the Luas terminus. Metrolink would run Charlemont-Donnybrook-UCD-Goatstown-Kilmacud and on to Sandyford.

Eastern Bypass route map here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

citizen6 wrote: »
    Any chance a Metro could run above ground from Donnybrook bus garage, down the N11, via Eastern Bypass reservation at back of UCD, and down Drummartin Link Road to Kilmacud Luas stop?

It would be less than 2km of tunnel from where the Metrolink tunnel ends in Ranelagh to Donnybrook bus garage. Kilmacud would become the Luas terminus. Metrolink would run Charlemont-Donnybrook-UCD-Goatstown-Kilmacud and on to Sandyford.

Eastern Bypass route map here.

It could, but it's utility is limited. The N11 is already a high quality bus corridor, and is sandwiched in between two rail lines on either side. UCD also doesn't have a public transport problem, as something like 70% of the journeys to it are by bus.

If they don't run the Metro out the Green Line, then I'd guess that a line out towards the south west would be preferable, if a lot more expensive.

Just to clarify as well, none of this is going to happen during Metrolink construction, their plan A is to still do the Green Line upgrade, just not anytime soon. Dart Underground will probably be progressed before anything else as well.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It could, but it's utility is limited. The N11 is already a high quality bus corridor, and is sandwiched in between two rail lines on either side. UCD also doesn't have a public transport problem, as something like 70% of the journeys to it are by bus.

If they don't run the Metro out the Green Line, then I'd guess that a line out towards the south west would be preferable, if a lot more expensive.

Just to clarify as well, none of this is going to happen during Metrolink construction, their plan A is to still do the Green Line upgrade, just not anytime soon. Dart Underground will probably be progressed before anything else as well.

I agree that Green Line upgrade would be preferable, on the basis that it would be cheaper. But realistically I can't see any appetite to go through all this again. And I don't think running a tunnel southwest would pass a CBA.

Benefits of Donnybrook-UCD-Sandyford, if it can be done with minimal tunnelling, are that it provides capacity for Sandyford, Cherrywood and Bray Luas, at reasonable cost.

It also allows land that has been held idle for the Eastern Bypass to be used for housing. And it would be housing along a metro line, allowing for greater density.

I agree that Green Line upgrade would be preferable, on the basis that it would be cheaper. But realistically I can't see any appetite to go through all this again. And I don't think running a tunnel southwest would pass a CBA.

Benefits of Donnybrook-UCD-Sandyford, if it can be done with minimal tunnelling, are that it provides capacity for Sandyford, Cherrywood and Bray Luas, at reasonable cost.

It also allows land that has been held idle for the Eastern Bypass to be used for housing. And it would be housing along a metro line, allowing for greater density.

They already have ridiculous amounts of land land around the city. Them using that artiery for more of their low density housing, would be a ridiculous waste. Maybe build the Eastern bypass and this proposed route, if there was the space

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Using the Eastern Bypass land reservation for housing would be idiotic in the extreme

There is no shortage of land in Dublin.

Using the Eastern Bypass land reservation for housing would be idiotic in the extreme

One hundred percent. There is a ridiculous amount of land in and around Dublin! This land shortage or scarcity is a myth!

I'm suggesting using the land for a Metro line and high density housing. Are there better uses for that land?

The Eastern Bypass will never be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I'm suggesting using the land for a Metro line and high density housing. Are there better uses for that land?

The Eastern Bypass will never be built.

So you are suggesting the TBM surfaces at Donnybrook Garage? Then a segregated Metro line on (along?/in the middle of?) the Dual carriageway to Belfield? And then on to Stillorgan and Sandyford?

jd wrote: »
    So you are suggesting the TBM surfaces at Donnybrook Garage? Then a segregated Metro line on (along?/in the middle of?) the Duel carriageway to Belfied? And then on to Stillorgan and Sandyford?

I'm suggesting that Metrolink proceed as planned just to get it done. But as a separate project, tunnel from Donnybrook garage to join Metrolink tunnel where it ends in Ranelagh - less than 2km.

From Donnybrook, a segregated Metro line along or in middle of N11 to Belfield. Then swing around the back of Belfield, parallel to R112, then turn at The Goat crossroads, and along Drummartin Link Road to Kilmacud Luas stop. AFAIK this is the Eastern Bypass reservation.

I don't know if any of this is possible from an engineering point of view, which is why I asked the question. If it is possible, I think it may be the most plausible way of getting the Metro to Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Eastern Bypass may never be built, but also the council will never give up the reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd go further: the Eastern Bypass should never be built. Its construction would be a signal of a complete failure of public transport investment, and an abandonment of sustainable commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd go further: the Eastern Bypass should never be built. Its construction would be a signal of a complete failure of public transport investment, and an abandonment of sustainable commuting.

Yep, last thing we need is people thinking more roads are the answers to Dublin’s transport problems.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yep, last thing we need is people thinking more roads are the answers to Dublin’s transport problems.

It would complete the m50 circle and buses could utilize it. If the alternative is building m50 Mach 2, at ten times the length. The eastern bypass is far superior.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would complete the m50 circle and buses could utilize it. If the alternative is building m50 Mach 2, at ten times the length. The eastern bypass is far superior.

There is already a bus corridor along the N11 which is more effective than building an urban motorway to house one. Plus the N11 bus corridor serves destinations along the N11

If it's buses south of Bray you are thinking of, twin tracking the Bray Head tunnels would be a more meritorious investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Not sure whether to pose this question here or in the other Metrolink thread, but here goes.

From my understanding, the main issue that lead to the cancellation of the green line upgrade was the tie-in requiring closure for a number of years. The closure of Dunville Ave made the most noise, but it was the tie in that killed the plan.

Is there anything stopping the Green Line from being progressively upgraded to improve capacity, e.g. other level crossings removed, platforms lengthened etc? But instead of a tie in, construct a proper interchange station allowing passengers switch to the Metro line. So the green line and metro are two separate lines that have an interchange station, like Tara St./Mobhi Rd with the DART. Metro South whenever it happens and wherever it goes could then be directly tied in to the Metrolink line, in a place where the tie in leads to less disruption.

tldr Split the metro and green line upgrade into separate projects, but allow seamless interchange. Get things built in phases, progressively build a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yes, they could do phased closures of the existing level crossings, but it's worth noting that none of them would have resulted in any significant amount of Green Line closure time. St Raphaela's Road maybe, but they had a plan in place there to do that fairly seamlessly. These crossings will need to be closed in order to accommodate Luas frequency increases anyway. Dunville Avenue, well, I think we just have to wait for politicians to grow some mental fortitude, let's say.

Platforms could be lengthened, but if Metro is a high-floor option, then they'll also need to be raised, which can't really be done any time prior to switchover.

I've had thoughts about whether you could do something like what you suggest - have Metro North running Swords to Charlemont (at an underground station), and then run a separate Metro South from Charlemont (overground, at the existing Luas station) to Sandyford on the Green Line. No tie-in required. But you'd need to build turnarounds for Metro South, and it'd probably be unnecessarily wasteful in terms of train units. The main issue with it is that it still requires that you close Dunville Avenue, which is undoubtedly a big reason why the NTA didn't bother with it as an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I haven't fully thought it through so excuse the crayoning for a minute. This post is basically me working through a half formed idea in my head. I've given no thought to lands available, this is all top of the head stuff.

The existing Green Line capacity is curtailed by numerous pinch points, but because of the city centre section it will never be possible to upgrade it all it to Metro standard. But by virtue of the previous heavy rail alignment it runs on, the section from Sandyford to Charlemont has the potential for much higher capacity running. So one of our aims should be to exploit this potential.

To upgrade the green line to metro standard (even without a tie in) would require significant closure, due to the requirement for high level platforms and platform screens. So you couldn't just progressively close it station by station, as once upgraded Luas trams could not serve the station (not sure of the loading gauge of metro carriages, but the high level platform stops it in any case). So another one of our aims should be to have a system that allows progressive upgrades.

How about a new Luas line that forks out from the Green Line at Charlemont. So shared track from Sandyford then half of the trams continue on the existing the alignment, and the other half swing off on the new alignment (say following the canal to the docks). Sweats the former heavy rail alignment, and allows progressive capacity upgrades by removing pinch points.

Metro runs Swords to Charlemont with potential for a Ryanline extension to the South West, Luas Green Line keeps it's current Broombridge to Brides Glen alignment, and Luas Crayon Line runs Sandyford to Grand Canal Dock. At Charlemont a new interchange station is constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I haven't fully thought it through so excuse the crayoning for a minute. This post is basically me working through a half formed idea in my head. I've given no thought to lands available, this is all top of the head stuff.

The existing Green Line capacity is curtailed by numerous pinch points, but because of the city centre section it will never be possible to upgrade it all it to Metro standard. But by virtue of the previous heavy rail alignment it runs on, the section from Sandyford to Charlemont has the potential for much higher capacity running. So one of our aims should be to exploit this potential.

To upgrade the green line to metro standard (even without a tie in) would require significant closure, due to the requirement for high level platforms and platform screens. So you couldn't just progressively close it station by station, as once upgraded Luas trams could not serve the station (not sure of the loading gauge of metro carriages, but the high level platform stops it in any case). So another one of our aims should be to have a system that allows progressive upgrades.

How about a new Luas line that forks out from the Green Line at Charlemont. So shared track from Sandyford then half of the trams continue on the existing the alignment, and the other half swing off on the new alignment (say following the canal to the docks). Sweats the former heavy rail alignment, and allows progressive capacity upgrades by removing pinch points.

Metro runs Swords to Charlemont with potential for a Ryanline extension to the South West, Luas Green Line keeps it's current Broombridge to Brides Glen alignment, and Luas Crayon Line runs Sandyford to Grand Canal Dock. At Charlemont a new interchange station is constructed.

There is some merit in this, strassenwolf suggested it before in a near enough form but really there can still only be x amount of trams of y length that can be put down the green line anyway. It already has some of the longest trams in the world and we need to future proof capacity as much as possible for 30/40 years in the future.

I'm still not seeing the point of building the proposed metro to a station as far south as Charlemont, and then having an extra bit heading further south to allow trains to turn around.

It would be good if the metro could be brought to St. Stephen's Green West to a station there, and then have the extra section for turning around running south of that point, perhaps along Harcourt Street or some other way. That old Eircom building, for example, is still there, isn't it, and ripe for redevelopment.

The curves involved in bringing the metro between the proposed station at Tara Street and St. Stephen's Green don't seem to be much different to those involved in bringing it between the proposed O'Connell Street station and Tara Street station - even perhaps less difficult given the distances.

An issue would, of course, be constructing a metro station under a functioning LUAS line, but there are many hundreds (or thousands) of precedents for this kind of work.

One advantage would be that it would achieve the same Metro - Green LUAS connectivity as that which could be achieved at Charlemont, but it would be quite a bit shorter, so it should be cheaper.

Instead of people changing between LUAS and metro at Charlemont, they'd change at St. Stephen's Green. There'd be no noticeable difference in journey times.

I'm still not seeing the point of building the proposed metro to a station as far south as Charlemont, and then having an extra bit heading further south to allow trains to turn around.

It would be good if the metro could be brought to St. Stephen's Green West to a station there, and then have the extra section for turning around running south of that point, perhaps along Harcourt Street or some other way. That old Eircom building, for example, is still there, isn't it, and ripe for redevelopment.

The curves involved in bringing the metro between the proposed station at Tara Street and St. Stephen's Green don't seem to be much different to those involved in bringing it between the proposed O'Connell Street station and Tara Street station - even perhaps less difficult given the distances.

An issue would, of course, be constructing a metro station under a functioning LUAS line, but there are many hundreds (or thousands) of precedents for this kind of work.

One advantage would be that it would achieve the same Metro - Green LUAS connectivity as that which could be achieved at Charlemont, but it would be quite a bit shorter, so it should be cheaper.

Instead of people changing between LUAS and metro at Charlemont, they'd change at St. Stephen's Green. There'd be no noticeable difference in journey times.

They can't run 30 trams pdph to St Stephens Green, while they can do so to Charlemont.

It's also likely that they will, at some point, still hook the Green line in the Metro, which must be done at Charlemont or further south, so from that perspective, it makes sense to continue the line to beyond Charlemont.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The reason for taking the tunnel south of SSG is to complete the tunneling using the TBM and any further work will be done by cut-and-cover. There is a need for turn around that can be done by using the extra tunnel, and they can stable trains for an early start.

They must complete the tunnel before any fit out because they are starting from Northwood, and all the spoil has to be conveyed to there for the whole length of the tunnel - only then can they start fit out.

Advertisement