Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

The reason for taking the tunnel south of SSG is to complete the tunneling using the TBM and any further work will be done by cut-and-cover. There is a need for turn around that can be done by using the extra tunnel, and they can stable trains for an early start.

They must complete the tunnel before any fit out because they are starting from Northwood, and all the spoil has to be conveyed to there for the whole length of the tunnel - only then can they start fit out.

I was reading the tunnelling method appendix yesterday and apparently because the single more is larger they actually can start a but of the fit out while tunnelling. I presume some of the infrastructure for the overhead wires maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

CatInABox wrote: »
    They can't run 30 trams pdph to St Stephens Green, while they can do so to Charlemont.

Realistically they can't run 30 tph through the busiest parts of the city, though I remain to be convinced that they couldn't run 30 tph to/from St. Stephen's Green using the current siding or some adapted form of it. However, I think overall that a Charlemont - Baggot Street Bridge (and onwards?) spur makes more sense as it would allow the Green Line to directly serve other busy parts of the city.

There aren't, currently, any very obvious insurmountable obstacles to building such a spur. Given that a lot of the peak time demand on the line is currently ending up in (or emanating from) the area around Baggot Street and Mount Street, et. cetera, it could be sensible to provide a more direct service to that area.
    It's also likely that they will, at some point, still hook the Green line in the Metro, which must be done at Charlemont or further south, so from that perspective, it makes sense to continue the line to beyond Charlemont.

They seem to be pretty clear that 30 tph on the Green line south of the canal will be sufficient until around the 2040s, at the least.

It seems a pity for all the focus on the southside to be on the off-street Green line, such that the tunnel will go to Charlemont (all going well in 2027) and then the whole development of rail on the Southside will seemingly stop for another 20 years or more while the city waits for the Green line to again approach capacity.

It would be much better, in my opinion, to plan for the spur mentioned above, and to plan for the TBM to initially head to the southwest/south-central parts of the city, and to develop that over the next 20 years or so.

We already know that areas like Terenure, Rathfarnham and Firhouse have considerably higher densities than, for example, Dundrum/Sandyford (or anywhere south of that). A line to those areas would almost certainly have to pass through Rathmines and Rathgar, which respectively have very similar densities to Ranelagh and the Beechwood/Cowper/Milltown areas.

We also know that people in areas like Firhouse, Knocklyon and Rathfarnham face very high journey times on their journeys into and out of the city. Journey times as high as 90 minutes have been mentioned on this thread.

And we also know that this corridor is one for which no overground LUAS route has so far been identified

If a Baggot Street LUAS spur were built, over approximately the timeline envisaged for metrolink (or preferably sooner), then the TBM would be free to make inroads into the southwest/central area of the south city, for broadly the same money, say to Rathmines.

Over the next 5 years or so, with new funding, this tunnel could be extended, perhaps to Rathfarnham. (I have this possibly crazy idea that the most cost-effective route, and certainly a spectacular one - would be for it to emerge from the tunnel south of Terenure, go over the Dodder, and then continue onward (overground, underground or a bit of both))

Delivering the metro to Firhouse and Knocklyon would probably require another round of funding in the early- to mid-2030s, all going according to the current metrolink schedule, but the colossal savings in journey times into and out of the city should be being enjoyed by many thousands of people at each stage, as the metro progressively reaches these high density areas.

In relation to a possible metro route to the southwest/central area of the city, as outlined above, the situation of Ballinteer is very interesting. It has a very decent population and population density - considerably higher than Dundrum/Sandyford, for example - without being particularly close to the LUAS Green line or any Swords - Firhouse metro such as described above. If arrival of the metro in Rathfarnham/Firhouse were to encourage residents of Ballinteer to use the metro rather than the LUAS (with appropriate bus services, for example), I think this might have a very positive effect on both.

I still believe that there is no one southside route which can provide a proper counterbalance, in terms of passenger numbers, to what is going to be coming in from the northside if the metrolink happens, given the locations which it will serve on the northside.

There really needs to be two southside routes, and I've often said on this board that a line to Walkinstown Cross would make sense, not because the densities along any route to/from there are currently particularly high but because its location - as a major bus junction - could help to make considerable inroads into journey times into and out of the city. (I currently envisage somewhere around the Bleeding Horse in Camden Street as the place where the 'Rathfarnham' metro and the 'Walkinstown' metro would branch off from each other).

Those potential three projects outlined above (LUAS spur to/from Baggot Street and perhaps beyond, a branch of the metrolink to/from Rathfarnham and beyond, and a second branch of the metro line to/from Walkinstown) would be one option which would deliver something for Dublin. In particular, significantly reduced journey times, for many thousands of people, into and out of the city.

Building the tunnel to Charlemont, and then pretty much waiting around for another couple of decades until the Green line is starting to get overcrowded again, doesn't seem - to me - to be a great use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Realistically they can't run 30 tph through the busiest parts of the city, though I remain to be convinced that they couldn't run 30 tph to/from St. Stephen's Green using the current siding or some adapted form of it. However, I think overall that a Charlemont - Baggot Street Bridge (and onwards?) spur makes more sense as it would allow the Green Line to directly serve other busy parts of the city.

There aren't, currently, any very obvious insurmountable obstacles to building such a spur. Given that a lot of the peak time demand on the line is currently ending up in (or emanating from) the area around Baggot Street and Mount Street, et. cetera, it could be sensible to provide a more direct service to that area.

They seem to be pretty clear that 30 tph on the Green line south of the canal will be sufficient until around the 2040s, at the least.

It seems a pity for all the focus on the southside to be on the off-street Green line, such that the tunnel will go to Charlemont (all going well in 2027) and then the whole development of rail on the Southside will seemingly stop for another 20 years or more while the city waits for the Green line to again approach capacity.

It would be much better, in my opinion, to plan for the spur mentioned above, and to plan for the TBM to initially head to the southwest/south-central parts of the city, and to develop that over the next 20 years or so.

We already know that areas like Terenure, Rathfarnham and Firhouse have considerably higher densities than, for example, Dundrum/Sandyford (or anywhere south of that). A line to those areas would almost certainly have to pass through Rathmines and Rathgar, which respectively have very similar densities to Ranelagh and the Beechwood/Cowper/Milltown areas.

We also know that people in areas like Firhouse, Knocklyon and Rathfarnham face very high journey times on their journeys into and out of the city. Journey times as high as 90 minutes have been mentioned on this thread.

And we also know that this corridor is one for which no overground LUAS route has so far been identified

If a Baggot Street LUAS spur were built, over approximately the timeline envisaged for metrolink (or preferably sooner), then the TBM would be free to make inroads into the southwest/central area of the south city, for broadly the same money, say to Rathmines.

Over the next 5 years or so, with new funding, this tunnel could be extended, perhaps to Rathfarnham. (I have this possibly crazy idea that the most cost-effective route, and certainly a spectacular one - would be for it to emerge from the tunnel south of Terenure, go over the Dodder, and then continue onward (overground, underground or a bit of both))

Delivering the metro to Firhouse and Knocklyon would probably require another round of funding in the early- to mid-2030s, all going according to the current metrolink schedule, but the colossal savings in journey times into and out of the city should be being enjoyed by many thousands of people at each stage, as the metro progressively reaches these high density areas.

In relation to a possible metro route to the southwest/central area of the city, as outlined above, the situation of Ballinteer is very interesting. It has a very decent population and population density - considerably higher than Dundrum/Sandyford, for example - without being particularly close to the LUAS Green line or any Swords - Firhouse metro such as described above. If arrival of the metro in Rathfarnham/Firhouse were to encourage residents of Ballinteer to use the metro rather than the LUAS (with appropriate bus services, for example), I think this might have a very positive effect on both.

I still believe that there is no one southside route which can provide a proper counterbalance, in terms of passenger numbers, to what is going to be coming in from the northside if the metrolink happens, given the locations which it will serve on the northside.

There really needs to be two southside routes, and I've often said on this board that a line to Walkinstown Cross would make sense, not because the densities along any route to/from there are currently particularly high but because its location - as a major bus junction - could help to make considerable inroads into journey times into and out of the city. (I currently envisage somewhere around the Bleeding Horse in Camden Street as the place where the 'Rathfarnham' metro and the 'Walkinstown' metro would branch off from each other).

Those potential three projects outlined above (LUAS spur to/from Baggot Street and perhaps beyond, a branch of the metrolink to/from Rathfarnham and beyond, and a second branch of the metro line to/from Walkinstown) would be one option which would deliver something for Dublin. In particular, significantly reduced journey times, for many thousands of people, into and out of the city.

Building the tunnel to Charlemont, and then pretty much waiting around for another couple of decades until the Green line is starting to get overcrowded again, doesn't seem - to me - to be a great use of resources.

I fully agree with the last paragraph, although a big chunk of time will have passed before the metro is even open so the green line will be at capacity probably a decade or so after the metro opens. That’s incredibly short sighted. Your other ideas are certainly better than the current one of doing nothing but what I would prefer is to have got this one right first and let its success sell the other options. Unfortunately there isn’t a hope of the other things happening as the political will doesn’t exist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

salmocab wrote: »
    I fully agree with the last paragraph, although a big chunk of time will have passed before the metro is even open so the green line will be at capacity probably a decade or so after the metro opens. That’s incredibly short sighted. Your other ideas are certainly better than the current one of doing nothing but what I would prefer is to have got this one right first and let its success sell the other options. Unfortunately there isn’t a hope of the other things happening as the political will doesn’t exist.

Well, there are local elections in a few weeks, and a general election later this year or early next year.

All these will be over before ABP even has the proposal for ML. Let us hope they see the idea of stopping at Charlemont as daft as many do here on Boards.ie
    - you never know, they may insist that the design must include the Sanyford bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well, there are local elections in a few weeks, and a general election later this year or early next year.

All these will be over before ABP even has the proposal for ML. Let us hope they see the idea of stopping at Charlemont as daft as many do here on Boards.ie
    - you never know, they may insist that the design must include the Sanyford bit.

I’ll be honest, I’m not optimistic. Local elections are for a play ground or getting the hedges trimmed. We let our TDs do the local stuff and our councils cut the grass.

• Advertisement

CatInABox, thanks for answering my earlier questions about the Mater construction. It all makes sense.
    I also disagree with your idea for a Drumcondra St, it's nowhere near as good at interchange as Glasnevin. The lines are 140 metres apart at Drumcondra, and on two vastly different levels. At Glasnevin, they're adjacent in terms of distance and height.

There is absolutely no question that the proposed Glasnevin station would be much easier and cheaper to build than a metro station at Drumcondra which could provide an interchange between the metro and both the overground rail lines there. (Probably involving a metro station between the overground stations and an overground line - metro link at each end of the metro platforms)

However, such a station at Drumcondra should not present any major technical difficulty, relative to some of the obstacles which have been faced and overcome over the years of rail construction. For example, the Royal Canal could be drained in that area for the construction period without any noticeable effect on boat traffic, and the rail line alongside it might be realigned a small bit, if necessary, to facilitate station construction.

The reason for doing this would be to create a metro corridor - and this is best looked at perhaps in relation to its position as it crosses the Royal Canal - which is almost exactly halfway between the northside DART corridor as it crosses that canal and the Green LUAS corridor north of Broadstone, with all the potential that that has for development of an eventual line to/from Finglas and beyond.

The Broadstone alignment has tremendous potential to be used to a greater extent than it currently is, and hopefully it will be if and when a connection to Finglas is made. It is a corridor which would absolutely fit right in as part of any future metro line linking the northwest of the city with the city, with only minimal work needed to upgrade that part.

But the case for even a LUAS connection to Finglas, let alone any eventual upgrade of that corridor north of Broadstone to a metro, will be made much more difficult if a large chunk of its northside catchment is being cannibalised - as it inevitably will be - by a metro line which is just 400 metres away at Des Kelly's.

In terms of passenger uptake it would be much more efficient for Dublin to have a more even spacing between these three corridors: DART, metrolink and Green LUAS.

There was obviously an element of suspicion that there may have been a political element to the choice of Drumcondra as part of the metro north project, and maybe the planners were cautious about resurrecting that idea again.

But now that the corridor north of Broadstone has vehicles running again - which it didn't for many years and didn't at the time of the metro north planning or the railway order stage - we can all see the potential that it has. It doesn't make sense to place a metro line almost right beside some of its key areas.

Despite the certain extra cost and greater technical difficulty of building a metro station at Drumcondra, that seems to me to be the most sensible thing to do, for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Despite the certain extra cost and greater technical difficulty of building a metro station at Drumcondra, that seems to me to be the most sensible thing to do, for the long term.
    Therein lies the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Extra cost + extra technical difficulty = a really good reason to not do something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's absolutely zero sense to it at all, due to the planned works for Glasnevin to join with the DART Expansion programme

Put down the crayons and back away from the map.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@ Strasenwolf:

Did you submit this suggestion to the public consultation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't see this as sensible at all really. If the line north of Broombridge ever does get upgraded to metro, it won't be anytime soon. I'd be shocked if it happened within the next 80 or 90 years, so I don't see any point in crippling one project now, for the mere possibility of a project close to a century in the future.

There's also the fact that the lines are 140 metres apart at Drumcondra, while the metro stations are only going to be 70 metres or so. It'll result in an absolutely terrible interchange.

Mod: Some posts moved here as posted to wrong thread.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Extra cost + extra technical difficulty = a really good reason to not do something.

If an anti-metrolink group ever assembles, and they're looking for a pithy slogan, your one there should do juust fine.
    L1011 wrote: »
    There's absolutely zero sense to it at all, due to the planned works for Glasnevin to join with the DART Expansion programme

I see no reason why an alternative route for the metro should affect the plans for the heavy rail lines at the Des Kelly site. The proposed adjustment there is a very sensible way to allow interchange between Maynooth/Dunboyne line trains and PPT trains. It should be an even easier interchange without metro passengers being added into the mix at that location.
    I don't see this as sensible at all really. If the line north of Broombridge ever does get upgraded to metro, it won't be anytime soon. I'd be shocked if it happened within the next 80 or 90 years, so I don't see any point in crippling one project now, for the mere possibility of a project close to a century in the future.

Almost everybody who has written about the metro on this board is in agreement that if Dublin can produce one metro line then there will be an inevitable call for extensions of that line, building of other lines, etc. This kind of thing has already been the case in Dublin with the extension of the DART and LUAS systems, and is and has been the case in all cities. I'm not aware of any exception.
    There's also the fact that the lines are 140 metres apart at Drumcondra, while the metro stations are only going to be 70 metres or so. It'll result in an absolutely terrible interchange.

As was pointed out above, such an arrangement would leave Drumcondra as the location for metrolink-DART interchange, with overground rail interchanges happening at the Des Kelly site.

An interchange station with 3 (three) distinct rail lines contained within an overall end-to-end footprint of around 150 metres is tiny, and all metro-DART interchanges there should be very manageable.

Of course, it wouldn't be as tiny as the proposed station at the Des Kelly site, but that would inevitably involve the metrolink cannabilising the catchment of the LUAS Green line, and may well render further development of the Green line more difficult.

An interchange at Drumcondra, although more difficult and costly, wouldn't involve cannibalisation of the Green line, because of its more distant location.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that adding extra difficult into an interchange is absolutely stupid. While an interchange at Drumcondra could work, the distances involved will turn some people off, and will reduce the interchange potential.

I also think that there won't be any real "cannibalisation" of a Finglas metro either. A Finglas Luas stop will be 2.5 km from the nearest Metro stop, so there won't be much over lap in terms of catchment area. That'll only get better the further out you go as well, as the two lines would diverge dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

But the case for even a LUAS connection to Finglas, let alone any eventual upgrade of that corridor north of Broadstone to a metro, will be made much more difficult if a large chunk of its northside catchment is being cannibalised - as it inevitably will be - by a metro line which is just 400 metres away at Des Kelly's.

You'll never provide a straight answer to this question, but:

What makes you think two Metro lines at Cross Guns in close proximity (but heading to different destinations) is worse than a Metro line and a DART line at Drumcondra in close proximity (but heading to different destinations)?

This seems like a completely contradictory argument to me, not to mention it seems totally unfounded - take a look at city that's basically comparable to Dublin, Oslo. Their Metro has multiple lines that run in close proximity to each other.

I think that adding extra difficult into an interchange is absolutely stupid. While an interchange at Drumcondra could work, the distances involved will turn some people off, and will reduce the interchange potential.

If Drumcondra is the location for a northside interchange between the metrolink and the Maynooth line at one end of that station, and the interchange between the metrolink and the PPT line at the other, people are going to do it and it will probably involve, on average, something like a walk of 100 metres or so.

They are not going to whinge that "it would have been only an average of 70 metres" if we'd built the metro through Glasnevin." If the recognised northside metro-DART interchange is at Drumcondra that's where people will make that change and if it is, on average, a bit longer, it will be minimal.
    I also think that there won't be any real "cannibalisation" of a Finglas metro either. A Finglas Luas stop will be 2.5 km from the nearest Metro stop, so there won't be much over lap in terms of catchment area. That'll only get better the further out you go as well, as the two lines would diverge dramatically.

I think you're jumping the gun with your talk of a 'Finglas metro' in the above post. There isn't even a Finglas LUAS yet, and no concrete plans for one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This Drumcondra stuff is proper headbanging nonsense.

Drumcondra was a suitable Metro interchange for Metro North as there was planned to be two DART lines, Maynooth-Greystones and Drogheda-Hazelhatch. These would interchange at Drumcondra and SSG.

Now there will be 3 DART lines. One of these will interchange at Tara Street, and the other two can interchange where they are side by side at Glasnevin, where it is convenient to build one interchange between the 2 DART lines and the Metro. Building this at Drumcondra would be more inconvenient, less effective, require a lot more disruption and provide a far more useful result. In light of all this, why in the name of God would you choose Drumcondra for an interchange? The Glasnevin interchange is a no brainer.

marno21 wrote: »
    This Drumcondra stuff is proper headbanging nonsense.

Drumcondra was a suitable Metro interchange for Metro North as there was planned to be two DART lines, Maynooth-Greystones and Drogheda-Hazelhatch. These would interchange at Drumcondra and SSG.

Now there will be 3 DART lines. One of these will interchange at Tara Street, and the other two can interchange where they are side by side at Glasnevin, where it is convenient to build one interchange between the 2 DART lines and the Metro. Building this at Glasnevin would be more inconvenient, less effective, require a lot more disruption and provide a far more useful result. In light of all this, why in the name of God would you choose Drumcondra for an interchange? The Glasnevin interchange is a no brainer.

Marno21, I think we all understand the current metro and heavy rail proposals for Dublin. If you're going to try to explain it to us could you at least not get the suburbs wrong. Within the current discussion about Drumcondra and Glasnevin, it is very relevant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Marno21, I think we all understand the current metro and heavy rail proposals for Dublin. If you're going to try to explain it to us could you at least not get the suburbs wrong. Within the current discussion about Drumcondra and Glasnevin, it is very relevant.

Post corrected. Apologies for the typo

I stand by my point.

Marno, your post is still saying that Drumcondra would produce a far more useful result.

At this stage it's still difficult to get what point you are 'standing by'.

• Advertisement

Marno, your post is still saying that Drumcondra would produce a far more useful result.

Don't want to speak for Marno, and I'm sure they don't need me to say anything, but I'll say it anyway: His post doesn't say that Drumcondra would be better at all.

I went back and read it again, there's one word that's clearly wrong, where "more" is used instead of "less". I missed it the first time around because "less" was clearly the word meant to be there, and my brain filled it in.

If Drumcondra is the location for a northside interchange between the metrolink and the Maynooth line at one end of that station, and the interchange between the metrolink and the PPT line at the other, people are going to do it and it will probably involve, on average, something like a walk of 100 metres or so.

They are not going to whinge that "it would have been only an average of 70 metres" if we'd built the metro through Glasnevin." If the recognised northside metro-DART interchange is at Drumcondra that's where people will make that change and if it is, on average, a bit longer, it will be minimal.

I don't deny that it's possible Strassenwolf, I just think that it's an absolutely terrible idea when compared to an interchange station at Glasnevin.
    I think you're jumping the gun with your talk of a 'Finglas metro' in the above post. There isn't even a Finglas LUAS yet, and no concrete plans for one.

Thanks for making my point, Strassenwolf. There's absolutely zero point in altering the location of this interchange for any future, unplanned project.

You know exactly what marno is saying, and you still haven't responded to my post

Thanks for reminding me. I had meant to reply.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    You'll never provide a straight answer to this question, but:

What makes you think two Metro lines at Cross Guns in close proximity (but heading to different destinations) is worse than a Metro line and a DART line at Drumcondra in close proximity (but heading to different destinations)?

A couple of things need clarification here. Firstly, there are currently no plans to have extended or upgraded the northside Green LUAS by the projected opening date of the metro, so let's focus now on the situation at that date. From the day of opening, people in or around large parts of the Phibsboro area at that time - say Doyle's Corner or Dalymount park - will be in the fortunate position of being a couple of hundred metres from a metro line (heading, in one direction to the major destinations O'Connell Street and St. Stephen's Green) and a LUAS (also heading to those two locations, but taking a bit more time to get there and possibly not having as frequent a service). What would you do? Inevitable cannibalisation will result.

I don't (think I) have the relevant software but I've seen posts with concentric circles being drawn on a map to show approximate walking distances from a particular point. This might be useful here, and perhaps some poster who has the software could present it. However, in the meantime we can work with some figures - courtesy of Google Maps Pedometer - which should illustrate the massive overlap of catchment areas under the proposed plan, and how this could be reduced by building the metro through Drumcondra. All distances are given as the crow flies:

Cabra LUAS stop: Des Kelly site: DART line at Newcomen Bridge = 0.5 km:2.4 km

Cabra LUAS stop: Drumcondra Road: DART line at Newcomen Bridge = 1.48 km:1.34 km

Secondly, it is my understanding that the current situation at Drumcondra is that there are two overground rail lines being used through the area - one for trains to/from Docklands which has no stop in the Drumcondra area and one for trains to/from Connolly and beyond which does. Neither of these goes to O'Connell Street (though Tara Street is of course not too far away) or St. Stephen's Green. I haven't heard that that's going to change. Moving the metro through Drumcondra and building a more expensive and more technically difficult station there would need to involve an interchange with the line along the canal.

Nobody would claim that either Phibsboro or Drumcondra are badly served, in an overall Dublin context, by public transport. And I can't see that a change to a metro route through Drumcondra (rather than the Des Kelly site) would make any difference to passengers who are already on the network and wish to interchange between the metro and overground rail.

The key point I am making is that it seems to be an inefficient route for getting people onto the network, given the overlap the currently proposed metrolink line would have with the LUAS catchment in Phibsboro and the lack of a direct rail connection between Drumcondra and key areas like O'Connell Street and St. Stephen's Green.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    This seems like a completely contradictory argument to me, not to mention it seems totally unfounded - take a look at city that's basically comparable to Dublin, Oslo. Their Metro has multiple lines that run in close proximity to each other.

Oslo is not really comparable to Dublin. I've never been there but I know there are many islands within the city, and this probably influences their choice of public transport routes, as there's not a whole lot of point in serving the areas between those islands. Norway is also in the fortunate position of being one of the richest countries on the planet, and - although it doesn't generally throw its money around - if it needs to build a metro, tram or overground rail line the money is there. Dublin's situation is different.

I noticed a couple of places where I could have made things clearer.

Oh mate....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I personally would have directly benefited from a station at Drumcondra and the original MN alignment. Cross and Gun and the new alignment won't directly benefit me. It will be too far from me.

However despite that, I have to honestly say that Cross and Gun makes logically far more sense then Drumcondra. You will have a much easier to use station and quicker interchange station there. I also expect it will be much cheaper and easier to build there.

There is also a lot of space around there for future further expansion. Perhaps they could put some terminating platforms there in future for commuter and intercity services. You couldn't do that at Drumcondra.

There are a few advantages to Drumcondra. It is a core bus route, so folks could have interchanged on their more easily. And it is closer to Croker and St Pats.

But overall the new alignment makes more sense and allows for better future options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is there anything to be said for another public consultation?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another public consultation?

Yes there is - NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

bk wrote: »
    There are a few advantages to Drumcondra. It is a core bus route, so folks could have interchanged on their more easily.

That's true, but there's the point that the buses are all (mostly) going the exact same way as the Metrolink alignment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes there is - NO.

The word sarcasm doesn’t do my suggestion justice. Think father jack Level of sarcasm!

Advertisement