Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

mgn wrote: »
    And when did you become educated/informed that Casey was racist towards travellers and went to the Guards.

He went on john connors twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,997 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And when did you become educated/informed that Casey was racist towards travellers and went to the Guards.

I never claimed he was 'racist'.

I realised he was trying to incite hatred when he stated that travellers are 'basically people that are camping on someone else's land'.

Which if you know anything is just wrong and a myth - the peddling of which is intended to demean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I realised he was trying to incite hatred when he stated that travellers are 'basically people that are camping on someone else's land'.

Which if you know anything is just wrong and a myth - the peddling of which is intended to demean.

That's not called incitement to hatred.It's called telling the truth in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

There was no need for that it was already there.

That's not called incitement to hatred.It's called telling the truth in my book.

You say this despite the fact actually being that the vast majority of travellers live in settled accommodation?

Never let the truth get in the way of stereotyping. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

declan2693 wrote: »
    There was no need for that it was already there.

No doubt. That is why 'incite' is the word used. 'Incite = stir up/encourage'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes we did and it went nowhere. What he said didn't reach the 'threshold' apparently.

You can see that as luck on Casey's part, or that he cleverly crafted it to fall short of incitement legislation.

At least he had an excuse to all meet up and socialize, couple bottles of Bollinger I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yes we did and it went nowhere. What he said didn't reach the 'threshold' apparently.

You can see that as luck on Casey's part, or that he cleverly crafted it to fall short of incitement legislation.
    Tell that to the whale! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

This is the funniest thing I've seen on AH in quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Well, it'll give Francie something to post about. A lot :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

And what we have to assess as an electorate is, did Casey's intervention make resolution of that, better or worse?

Clearly as it isn't resolved the suspicion is that negative, finger-pointing publicity hasn't helped.

So you think it was caseys job - responsibility to resolve the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One thing he has done is bring back to the forefront of my mind all the issues that are important to me. Local elections are coming up shortly and all those knocking on my door looking for my vote better have some answers to
    • how they would deal with an issue like the houses in Tipperary that are still vacant.
    • How will they deal with anti social behaviour in the area.
    • What incentives do they propose to regenerate towns that have still to recover from the crash and how do they intend to turn those ideas into reality.
    • How many housing developments whose bonds were always in place are still to be taken over and what timescale will they commit to for their taking in charge.
    • Do they know how much is owed to the council from rent arrears and how do they intend recouping it.
    • How much local property tax do they think I should be paying for my home.

You're confusing the council, i.e. the body responsible for most of this with the shower of wasters i.e. councillors, who vote on things.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So you think it was caseys job - responsibility to resolve the issue?

No. I asked did his intervention make resolution 'easier or harder'.

Mind you if he wasn't so full of entitlement and coveted the top job all the time, and actually got some experience trying to resolve similar issues, he might have been more constructive in his approach.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Casey came up with something me good points that people believe in before the Presidential election.
    Thing is the man seems pretty old at 61, we need somebody younger and smoother to take up his mantra and bring it to the next level.
    It was a safe bet to "protest" through Casey knowing that he would never end up president in a one horse race. Most of his points he made up on the spot or stumbled across, especially the one that seem to carry him over 20%.

Grayson wrote: »
    Put the spotlight on it? No-one was talking about it before?

Not dysfunctionality within the traveller community, all we got from media was how much injustice they face

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He won't do well.

His major problem is that he is completely incoherent.

No. I asked did his intervention make resolution 'easier or harder'.

Mind you if he wasn't so full of entitlement and coveted the top job all the time, and actually got some experience trying to resolve similar issues, he might have been more constructive in his approach.

It's not relevant whether caseys intervention " made resolution easier or harder", it's a bogus question

" entitlement", unfortunate term to use here, seems it is fine from travellers, why have you a problem with casey showing entitlement? , Michael D is fairly handy himself in that department

It's not relevant whether caseys intervention " made resolution easier or harder"

" entitlement", unfortunate term to use here, seems it is fine from travellers, why have you a problem with casey showing entitlement? , Michael D is fairly handy himself in that department

We are discussing 'Casey'.

Seems no matter what criticism you have of Peter, the stock answer is 'sure, look over there at someone else'.

:rolleyes:

He was in the right place at the right time during the presidential election. If one of the other candidates had said the same thing he had, they would've had that bounce. He was a vehicle for people to express their anger and frustration at the travellers issue in this country. A vote for Peter Casey at that moment in time was a way of sending a message.

He won't do well.

His major problem is that he is completely incoherent.

He is but so is Danny healy rae, people are not too bothered about that

I won't be voting for him but he did the country a favour last October by exposing just how intolerant the media tribe are in this country if you chose not to parrot the aprooved narative re_ particular pet minorities

• Advertisement

We are discussing 'Casey'.

Seems no matter what criticism you have of Peter, the stock answer is 'sure, look over there at someone else'.

:rolleyes:

You accused him of being " entitled"

In a thread largely about travellers refusing to take new homes

You accused him of being " entitled"

In a thread largely about travellers refusing to take new homes

And?

is_that_so wrote: »
    You're confusing the council, i.e. the body responsible for most of this with the shower of wasters i.e. councillors, who vote on things.

Are you telling me that councillors and MEPs are much of a muchness then?
    So what sort of things do they vote on?

And?

Irony

Irony

How?

Does the possibility of several different types of entitlement elude you?

There is entitlement among those who avail of welfare, and there is also entitlement among wealthy elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just coincidence that all who happily moan/complain about travellers just happened to jump on his bandwagon eh?

I said he only got 23% because he didn't commit. Needed the bang the anti-immigration, anti-dole & anti-gay/trans drums to win. It was publicity stunt he never got cranky enough.

Made me a nice little packet in the bookies when he defied many people’s odds to be second. I’m grateful to him for that even if he isn’t a politician (he told the truth) and is unlikely to be elected anytime soon.

Are you telling me that councillors and MEPs are much of a muchness then?
    So what sort of things do they vote on?

Councillors are supposed to vote on budgets, general policies and changes to bye laws. The council admin is supposed to implement them and deal with day to day activities. The CEO(County Manager) is the real power in any council area.

MEPs on the, other hand, vote on EU legislation and choose and vet EU Commissioners.

How?

Does the possibility of several different types of entitlement elude you?

There is entitlement among those who avail of welfare, and there is also entitlement among wealthy elites.

Travellers are thee most entitled people in the land yet in a discussion about travellers, you allege casey is the entitled one

Going on about the other entitled people in this county is a deflection. Everyone knows there is a culture of entitlement amongst other groups but that's not what this is about. Surely we can talk about travellers without muddying the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ya see i would have no problem with him bringing up a discussion on various things but you can raise an issue with tarring the whole community with the same brush. Is there a problem with criminality in the travelling community. Compared to the settled community it's plain to see that there is due to higher rates of offences when comparing the two. How do you fix that. First is enact the law where all kids have to stay in school until 16. Education is key. And other things can be done as well. With representatives of both communities.

But Peter Casey dosen't do this. He's just another idiot without solutions saying populist bull****. And maybe it's just me but i'd rather a public representative can string a sentence together. He's woeful at public speaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement