Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sorry I did miss it

The irs have been accused of being political
    The irs have his returns and if the audit is still ongoing then it is safe to say the irs and trumps lawyers are still in discussions if you have carried out audits for revenue on any multinationals you must admit they are complicated by the international aspect
    The irs have his tax returns and if they are released before the irs and trump agree the audit is over and if there is fines penalties and interest due then the narrative is trump is a tax dodger when you must admit many businesses through error and misjudgment face the same issues

We dont How trump personally is paid. He might be an employee or a company who charges management fees. He might live off a charity
    When you say release personal taxes he probably has minimum but pays payroll taxes corporation taxes and others

I have never of a Business owner audited by revenue individually it’s not possible the audit would have to include the companies

OK , so let's accept for the moment that he is indeed under Audit and that whilst nothing legally prevents him from releasing them he doesn't want to as the Audit might change them to some degree or other (he might even be due a refund, who knows??)

If , as he says he's "always" under Audit , surely they've finished with some of them??

The IRS are not Auditing every single year of his taxes since the day of his 1st tax payment , which must be 50+ years at least, so there at without question many many years of tax statements that he could release right here , right now without any issue whatsoever.

So , again - Why won't he??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But the IRS have stated that there is no law to stop Trump publishing his own tax returns.

I mean, think about it? The guy has retweeted loads of stuff without checking but suddenly he cares about this?

So the real question is why any of his supporters support him in hiding stuff from them?

As was previously stated, he could easily produce his tax returns up to a certain point. It can't be right that his tax returns from 2015 are still under audit. How is he tax compliant if the IRS are still auditing him?

The tax is compliant until the irs proves it’s not
    Regardless he does not have to release them and what would they prove anyway
    That he is offshoring you can be sure he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Barr was very impressive in those hearings I must say. Should have the redacted version of the report in a few days

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    OK , so let's accept for the moment that he is indeed under Audit and that whilst nothing legally prevents him from releasing them he doesn't want to as the Audit might change them to some degree or other (he might even be due a refund, who knows??)

If , as he says he's "always" under Audit , surely they've finished with some of them??

The IRS are not Auditing every single year of his taxes since the day of his 1st tax payment , which must be 50+ years at least, so there at without question many many years of tax statements that he could release right here , right now without any issue whatsoever.

So , again - Why won't he??

Being honest my guess is he does not want his banks to see them
    He had some bankruptcy and he has used foreign banks to raise loans
    The issue could be he provided some creative accounts to raise considerable loans and if those banks see his returns he might have problems.
    Especially if those foreign Banks are based in Russia

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Seriously?

His entire schtick is that he's this hugely successful unbeatable business guy that has made countless millions and billions of dollars purely on his raw business acumen and his famous "gut"

His Tax returns would give a very strong insight into whether there was any truth to his entire persona or if it's like a lot of what he says - Bloviation and lies.

His continued refusal to provide ANY insight into his finances strongly suggests he does not believe that his tax returns will tell a story that would be even remotely flattering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Yes, that he is avoiding paying tax. Exactly that.

I'm not saying he's doing anything illegal. He doesn't need to.

He just doesn't want it to come out that he's a billionaire that pays less tax than a teacher.

Seriously?

His entire schtick is that he's this hugely successful unbeatable business guy that has made countless millions and billions of dollars purely on his raw business acumen and his famous "gut"

His Tax returns would give a very strong insight into whether there was any truth to his entire persona or if it's like a lot of what he says - Bloviation and lies.

His continued refusal to provide ANY insight into his finances strongly suggests he does not believe that his tax returns will tell a story that would be even remotely flattering.

I have given you what I think in my last post

Being honest my guess is he does not want his banks to see them
    He had some bankruptcy and he has used foreign banks to raise loans
    The issue could be he provided some creative accounts to raise considerable loans and if those banks see his returns he might have problems.
    Especially if those foreign Banks are based in Russia

So - He lied and cheated to get money and may be heavily in debt to Russian Banks (Banks that are all almost exclusively controlled by Putin cronies).

And yet you continue to defend him?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Sorry I did miss it

The irs have been accused of being political
    The irs have his returns and if the audit is still ongoing then it is safe to say the irs and trumps lawyers are still in discussions if you have carried out audits for revenue on any multinationals you must admit they are complicated by the international aspect
    The irs have his tax returns and if they are released before the irs and trump agree the audit is over and if there is fines penalties and interest due then the narrative is trump is a tax dodger when you must admit many businesses through error and misjudgment face the same issues

We dont How trump personally is paid. He might be an employee or a company who charges management fees. He might live off a charity
    When you say release personal taxes he probably has minimum but pays payroll taxes corporation taxes and others

I have never of a Business owner audited by revenue individually it’s not possible the audit would have to include the companies

I think something is getting lost in translation here.

Let's start again. Trump has been asked to release his tax returns. His tax returns, his personal tax returns. He is a separate entity to his multitude of companies etc. The IRS have said there is no problem with anyone releasing their tax returns under or audit or no.

What is the problem with Trump doing this? If he is under audit and the audit subsequently finds the returns must be amended then Trump can release his amended returns. The point is, he would have signed off on his personal tax returns when he/his agents submitted them to the IRS. The detail in the returns was supplied by Trump through his agents. How is Trump releasing his tax returns that he submitted to the IRS a political move by the IRS.

And yes, audits on directors can happen without an intervention being carried out on the associated companys. Audits are based on risk. If there is no risk, then there is nothing to audit. When you see directors and companies audited together, its because a risk would have been identified between the two entities.

And yes innocent errors occur all the time along with differences in interpretation of tax law and there are ways open to any entity in assessing those. However none of that has anything to do with Trump releasing his personal tax returns and claiming to be under perpetual audit.

So - He lied and cheated to get money and may be heavily in debt to Russian Banks (Banks that are all almost exclusively controlled by Putin cronies).

Many big businesses do the creative accounting to get loans.
    Many individuals to get loans and mortgages too
    I am only guessing on trump and the loans and the Russia angle
    And if he did this all before becoming president I don’t see an issue
    But if he has continued since becoming president I would find that impossible to defend
    Again I am only guessing

• Advertisement

I think something is getting lost in translation here.

Let's start again. Trump has been asked to release his tax returns. His tax returns, his personal tax returns. He is a separate entity to his multitude of companies etc. The IRS have said there is no problem with anyone releasing their tax returns under or audit or no.

What is the problem with Trump doing this? If he is under audit and the audit subsequently finds the returns must be amended then Trump can release his amended returns. The point is, he would have signed off on his personal tax returns when he/his agents submitted them to the IRS. The detail in the returns was supplied by Trump through his agents. How is Trump releasing his tax returns that he submitted to the IRS a political move by the IRS.

And yes, audits on directors can happen without an intervention being carried out on the associated companys. Audits are based on risk. If there is no risk, then there is nothing to audit. When you see directors and companies audited together, its because a risk would have been identified between the two entities.

And yes innocent errors occur all the time along with differences in interpretation of tax law and there are ways open to any entity in assessing those. However none of that has anything to do with Trump releasing his personal tax returns and claiming to be under perpetual audit.

If trump is under audit why would he release any tax returns to then release amended returns
    Come on this is the president not the local plumber

A director that is also an owner cannot be audited without auditing associated companies it’s not possible
    So many directors move money offshore and back again
    Most pay family members and their own expenses and buy cars
    To audit an owner without auditing the company would achieve nothing
    You need to access to the source of the income

But if he has continued since becoming president I would find that impossible to defend
    Again I am only guessing

So your defence is "Other people do it" and "As long as he isn't still doing it , that's ok" ?

So , because other people committed crimes and as long as he isn't committing those crimes right now , it's perfectly fine for him to be President of the United States?

I struggle to comprehend how anyone could rationalise that position..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

If trump is under audit why would he release any tax returns to then release amended returns
    Come on this is the president not the local plumber

A director that is also an owner cannot be audited without auditing associated companies it’s not possible
    So many directors move money offshore and back again
    Most pay family members and their own expenses and buy cars
    To audit an owner without auditing the company would achieve nothing
    You need to access to the source of the income

I've read through a lot of your posts there Dookoo and you seem to be just interesting in taking sides on this or backing Trump.

You've never explained what he deos that's good or why you like him. Just wondering if you could elaborate. Why are you so inspired to come on here and fight his case.

You don't seem interested in his achievements. Addmittedly I only went back about six pages but you're not posting at all about the things he's doing.

I'm just wondering why you're so invested in team Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1115984086223478789?s=19

Any trump supporter want to step up and try defend this utter hyperbolic and dangerous nonsense?

That reads like it was scripted by the Russians. This rhetoric brings US facism one step closer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Midlife wrote: »
    I've read through a lot of your posts there Dookoo and you seem to be just interesting in taking sides on this or backing Trump.

You've never explained what he deos that's good or why you like him. Just wondering if you could elaborate. Why are you so inspired to come on here and fight his case.

You don't seem interested in his achievements. Addmittedly I only went back about six pages but you're not posting at all about the things he's doing.

I'm just wondering why you're so invested in team Trump?

A lot of Trump supporters support him for no other reason than that he is sexist, racist, a crook, a liar and especially because he's blatant about it.
    They not only know that the guy is despicable, they are actively cheering for it.
    They don't care about any achievements, but how much hatred and badness he can get away with, locking up children, destroying the environment, sticking it to the liberals, being divisive, talking bad about women, gays and minorities.
    This is why they dismiss any criticism of him with a wave of their hand and a yawn. They only seem totally oblivious and hide behind every excuse in the world about the guy because they know and they think it's great fun to see good, honest people wring their hands and despair at the sheer monstrosity of it all.
    It's like he is the Messiah for bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Just to clarify, it's 6 years worth of his personal and business tax returns that are being sought.

No wonder he doesn't want to release them. The image he has cultivated for himself would collapse.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-tax/trump-says-he-will-not-release-his-tax-returns-idUSKCN1RM1SH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Again I am only guessing

Honestly, if he was in such a fiscal position even prior to his presidency. That's a good enough reason for all presidencies to release their taxes. Generally such fiscal vulnerability would exclude any citizen from access to intelligence info as it opens them for blackmail.

But to be honest, it seems you're intent on justifying all of Trump's behaviour. Eg you've recently claimed his father may in fact be German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

A lot of Trump supporters support him for no other reason than that he is sexist, racist, a crook, a liar and especially because he's blatant about it.
    They not only know that the guy is despicable, they are actively cheering for it.
    They don't care about any achievements, but how much hatred and badness he can get away with, locking up children, destroying the environment, sticking it to the liberals, being divisive, talking bad about women, gays and minorities.
    This is why they dismiss any criticism of him with a wave of their hand and a yawn. They only seem totally oblivious and hide behind every excuse in the world about the guy because they know and they think it's great fun to see good, honest people wring their hands and despair at the sheer monstrosity of it all.
    It's like he is the Messiah for bad people.

I wonder will his presidency see fewer people killed than any since 2001?

Non Americans are people too.

It’s actually hard to say because he is very anti-Iran and he might start that all off again. Trump’s foreign policy is all over the place.

Is this the new Russian angle?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1115984086223478789?s=19

Any trump supporter want to step up and try defend this utter hyperbolic and dangerous nonsense?
    When you are trying to sneak a coup yourself accuse the opposition of doing so. Straight from the dictator's playbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I wonder will his presidency see fewer people killed than any since 2001?

Non Americans are people too.

It’s actually hard to say because he is very anti-Iran and he might start that all off again. Trump’s foreign policy is all over the place.

Already more civilians killed in 2 years than 8 years of Obama https://www.newsweek.com/president-trumps-isis-war-course-double-obamas-civilian-deaths-637538
    https://www.newsweek.com/civilian-casualties-rise-164-percent-yemen-war-1140243

And now Trump no longer wants to report deaths http://time.com/5546366/trump-cancels-drone-strike-rule/

Amazing US media is no longer interested in drone strikes despite a massive increase since 2017

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Already more civilians killed in 2 years than 8 years of Obama https://www.newsweek.com/president-trumps-isis-war-course-double-obamas-civilian-deaths-637538
    https://www.newsweek.com/civilian-casualties-rise-164-percent-yemen-war-1140243

And now Trump no longer wants to report deaths http://time.com/5546366/trump-cancels-drone-strike-rule/

Amazing US media is no longer interested in drone strikes despite a massive increase since 2017

They never reported Yemen. In fact I bet that Newsweek and Time might well have mentioned for the first time in the Trump era. America’s left is an inward looking self-absorbed mess.

It wasn’t just Yemen though - which was a war crime for both presidents - but Libya and Syria. And Obama could have decided to stay out of Yemen.

Probably no president of the US can do what he wants - the military is a state within a state.

Both Obama and Trump ran on anti war positions and neither can rein it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Firstly is trump even being audited? Has this been debunked? No
    Secondly has I have posted here many times if the audit is still ongoing why would he?

Can posters here deal with these questions honestly

We only have his word that he is being audited so it's probably nonsense. I posted what I did to point out that the excuse he was using about being audited preventing the release of his returns and repeated by others here was nonsense.

I don't think there's anything new about the concern that his apparent heavy debt exposure to Russian Banks is a concern in terms of his objectivity when it comes to things like Russian sanctions etc.

So your defence is "Other people do it" and "As long as he isn't still doing it , that's ok" ?

So , because other people committed crimes and as long as he isn't committing those crimes right now , it's perfectly fine for him to be President of the United States?

I struggle to comprehend how anyone could rationalise that position..

When you're all-in on Trump, mental gymnastics becomes your new area of expertise.

I'm not joking. Trump is a lowlife in so many ways that in order to support him, one needs to lower the bar so far so that Trump is always above that bar. Unfortunately, when you support Trump, his enemies need to be taken down which means they have to be judged against a high bar. This leads to absurdities like poor email security and pay-for-play being a huge issue for people like Clinton while at the same time, it's a nothingburger or it's being smart when Trump is at it.

In order to maintain such an absurd position, you need to become very adept at such gymnastics and any proper Trump follower figures this out.

For those of us who have kept informed and can remember farther back than two weeks ago, Russian loans have always been an angle. I understand your desire to portray this as something new but when Russian money has been such a central part of the allegations against Trump for so long, it gives your game away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Assange arrested apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Assange arrested apparently!

Yup. Literally carried out of the Embassy after the Ambassador invited the police to come get him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him extradited to the US, but what might happen after that would be anyone's guess. Given Assange's links to Roger Stone and the hacking of the DNC emails, could have a big influence on that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1116286522175754241?s=19

One wonders why they have a particular concern here...

• Advertisement

The assange arrest has been organized by someone
    Would not be surprised if this trumps doing a deal cut to bring down the democrat party for once and all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement