Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Farmer jailed over shocking animal cruelty loses appeal

Options

Comments

Good enough for the coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Delighted its been upheld. Anything else would be unjust.
    I didn't see one shred of a reason why he should have been successful in an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Scumbag should never be let out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

The ****er :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Sentence upheld and right, but the family has got a life sentence with the loss of their son at a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I thought he'd get a suspended sentence because of what happened to the son. I'm glad he didn't. Three years is already too lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In the tragic circumstances I would prefer if he was released.

A community service order could be substituted for the custodial sentence and any re-offending would result in a return to serve his sentence.

This is not in any way to condone his crime .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sentence upheld and right, but the family has got a life sentence with the loss of their son at a young age.

Many families have lost loved ones killed by joyriders or drunk drivers. Harsh as it sounds, it’s lucky no innocent people were killed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The ISPCA have released some pictures of his 'farm', they're absolutely disgusting and I'm guessing the ones they have made public are far from the worst ones the inspectors took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

elperello wrote: »

A community service order could be substituted for the custodial sentence and any re-offending would result in a return to serve his sentence.

He tortured so many animals. He deserves to be in prision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i truthfully cannot deal with these types of stories nor these types of people.
    im glad his appeal failed.
    maybe some rather large men in prison will teach him the error of his ways...every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Another interesting aspect is how his farm passed its inspection by the Carlow county council just a few months before he was found out. The number of carcasses and the woeful state of the animals found alive all point to a long term development on his farm. Carlow CC refuses to publish inspection reports. They are also hiding reports on other ongoing puppy farm investigations. I don't know Carlow, how is it run?

https://evoke.ie/2019/04/10/news/irish-news/carlow-inspection-reports-james-kavanaghs-puppy-farm

No way.

It would allow every criminal in the country appeal. Take the gangland fueds fir example, how many family members have been shot on both sides?

Should they be let out?

It is described as the worst case of animal cruelty to come before the courts.

Guy has a list of previous convictions including fraud and drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

anewme wrote: »
    No way.

It would allow every criminal in the country appeal. Take the gangland fueds fir example, how many family members have been shot on both sides?

Should they be let out?

It is described as the worst case of animal cruelty to come before the courts.

Guy has a list of previous convictions including fraud and drink driving.

I understand that people are upset at his crimes as I am myself.
    Cruelty to animals cannot be condoned.

He has already appealed and the option to appeal is open to other convicted criminals.

I am aware of the facts of the case and previous history.

strandroad wrote: »
    Another interesting aspect is how his farm passed its inspection by the Carlow county council just a few months before he was found out. The number of carcasses and the woeful state of the animals found alive all point to a long term development on his farm. Carlow CC refuses to publish inspection reports. They are also hiding reports on other ongoing puppy farm investigations. I don't know Carlow, how is it run?

https://evoke.ie/2019/04/10/news/irish-news/carlow-inspection-reports-james-kavanaghs-puppy-farm

It’s like a lot of rules and regulations in Ireland. They only apply to others.

Many families have lost loved ones killed by joyriders or drunk drivers. Harsh as it sounds, it’s lucky no innocent people were killed.

What do you mean by innocent people were not killed,

strandroad wrote: »

This was going on for a long period and nothing was being done and animals were going to England weekly basis and no questions were being asked on the foot of complaints about the animals.

I saw some of the pictures of the 'farm' and it looked like something from a third world country. If he was let away with that it would have been a travesty. He needs to be punished regardless of personal tragedy.

It’s lucky the car being driven illegally at 5am did not hit someone walking or driving legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I can’t even read that. I cannot deal with animal cruelty stories these days. A head in the sand approach, I know, but I always lose the will to live reading those stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd imagine the poster is trying to infer that the farmers child that died in the car crash wasn't innocent because he was driving dangerously and illegally with no license or insurance. Warped thinking in my opinion, he was a school aged child of sixteen that had a full life ahead of him. One wonders about his background with all that was going on at the farm and why he was out at that hour driving a car. There's an air of innocence around all sixteen year olds, they still need minding, guidance and strong mentoring.

The sentence was upheld for good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It’s lucky the car being driven illegally at 5am did not hit someone walking or driving legally.

As someone whose parent's house is on one of these "racetracks", I have absolutely no sympathy for any boy racers who meet their demise. They are another demographic who deserve to have the law come down on them like a ton of bricks. It's unfortunate that this man lost his son but perhaps he should've spent more time parenting properly and less time neglecting animals.

Do the people that think he should be released feel the same about other criminals? Should every scumbag who loses a family member get away scot free? Or is it just crimes that involve 'only animals'?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'd imagine the poster is trying to infer that the farmers child that died in the car crash wasn't innocent because he was driving dangerously and illegally with no license or insurance. Warped thinking in my opinion, he was a school aged child of sixteen that had a full life ahead of him. One wonders about his background with all that was going on at the farm and why he was out at that hour driving a car. There's an air of innocence around all sixteen year olds, they still need minding, guidance and strong mentoring.

The sentence was upheld for good reason.

Tell that to people who have lost family members as as a result of joyriders. My Mum (72) was out walking her dog narrowly escaped being hit by a car with 4 teenagers inside going out of Control, sliding across the road, narrowly missing a family in a car with their baby. The car hit a tree and the sixteen year old driver died at the scene. I felt lucky my Mum was a few yards up the road. Wouldn’t call it warped thinking at all.

No one wants a young man to lose his life, but no one wants to lose a family member as a result of someone else’s illegal feral behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

In my experience the majority of dog breeders need to be dragged into the street and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Tell that to people who have lost family members as as a result of joyriders. My Mum out walking her dog narrowly escaped being hit by a car with 4 teenagers inside going out of Control, sliding across the road, narrowly missing a family in a car with their baby. The car hit a tree and the sixteen year old driver died at the scene. I felt lucky my Mum was a few yards up the road. Wouldn’t call it warped thinking at all.

Yeah, I completely understand where you and Ursus Horribilis are coming from. I've come across that crap on rural roads, it's frightening and selfish, and I don't live with it like you do, so maybe I don't (understand) and have a full appreciation of the implications to the community or your frustrations.

I just think, reading between the lines and what went on on that farm that the family dynamics weren't right. Who lets their sixteen year old child out at five in the morning in a car? Judging from what went on in plain sight on the site the boy was brought up on I'd imagine his moral compass wasn't exactly aligned correctly. I believe any child under a certain age has a degree of innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

How any 'man' can abuse an defenseless animal is beyond me.

You can usually tell the character of a man the way he treats animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Sickening and all done for profit.

The whole case seems dodgy, its not that hard to spot a ****ehole farm, yet this was going on for ages.

Advertisement