Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Is 2019 registration not open yet or gone already?

Not open. Opened 30/03 last year so should open shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Not open. Opened 30/03 last year so should open shortly.

Entry is now open and race is on Sun 15 Sep 2019. Early Bird Entry fee is €35 until May 15th so I've signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

So 2 weeks out from Boston am trying to figure what pace to try and hold. Would like to hear peoples thoughts on what shape i am in .
    2 weeks ago i did mile repeats at 6.10-6.12

This is the mileage i have ran after not running from may-sept due to injury
    October 43.4 miles
    November 62 miles
    December 157 miles
    January 194 miles
    February 194 miles
    March 220 miles

Interested in hearing peoples thoughts. Last thing i want to do is go to hard and blow up. If i were to guess i am in 3.04 shape on a flat course but could be wrong.

Tks
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

So 2 weeks out from Boston am trying to figure what pace to try and hold. Would like to hear peoples thoughts on what shape i am in .
    2 weeks ago i did mile repeats at 6.10-6.12

This is the mileage i have ran after not running from may-sept due to injury
    October 43.4 miles
    November 62 miles
    December 157 miles
    January 194 miles
    February 194 miles
    March 220 miles

Interested in hearing peoples thoughts. Last thing i want to do is go to hard and blow up. If i were to guess i am in 3.04 shape on a flat course but could be wrong.

Tks
    Bryan

What sort of LR's (and how many of them) have you in the bank Bryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Any races in the last while?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    What sort of LR's (and how many of them) have you in the bank Bryan?

23/3 19 miles aerobic run 7.45 pace
    14/3 14 miles ( 7 aerobic, 3x 2 at 7.02 pace, 1 mile cool down)
    09/03 18.5 miles (9 miles easy, 6 miles at 7.05 per mile, 3 miles easy)
    02/03 17.5 miles (3 miles easy, 6 miles at 7.02 pace, 5 miles at 7.05 pace,3.5 mile easy)

Have my last long run tomorrow 20 miles. The above long runs were probably done on tired legs and tired system. Feel if I am well rested I can run faster.

Last race was Trim 10 start of February 1.08.30 but wind was a bitch that day so my placing would have been 1.06.15 in previous year.

Tks lads

There'd be other posters with greater insight than me Bryan, but you're averaging less than 50 miles a week over the block and the quantity of LR's & Races seems to be on the low side. Apologies as I think you've already posted this on the thread already, but how would the MPW and race schedule compare to your other Marathons?

There'd be other posters with greater insight than me Bryan, but you're averaging less than 50 miles a week over the block and the quantity of LR's & Races seems to be on the low side. Apologies as I think you've already posted this on the thread already, but how would the MPW and race schedule compare to your other Marathons?

My m pb is 3.09 and that was done off an 18 week block of 690 miles
    This 18 week block will have me around 820 miles .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

23/3 19 miles aerobic run 7.45 pace
    14/3 14 miles ( 7 aerobic, 3x 2 at 7.02 pace, 1 mile cool down)
    09/03 18.5 miles (9 miles easy, 6 miles at 7.05 per mile, 3 miles easy)
    02/03 17.5 miles (3 miles easy, 6 miles at 7.02 pace, 5 miles at 7.05 pace,3.5 mile easy)

Have my last long run tomorrow 20 miles. The above long runs were probably done on tired legs and tired system. Feel if I am well rested I can run faster.

Last race was Trim 10 start of February 1.08.30 but wind was a bitch that day so my placing would have been 1.06.15 in previous year.

Tks lads

Jaysus, all the best in Boston but if that were me I'd be thinking 3:15. We're all different though and I know very little about your training and history, just what you've put up here recently. I did about 1.01.50 for 16 kms in a Half last week and I wouldn't put me down as in sub 3 shape yet. Admittedly I haven't done any long stuff so I do hope to get to sub 3 in a couple of months time, but off 1.08 or even 1.06 wouldn't be my idea of 2.59.

Like I said though, and I'm not just saying it to make you feel better, people have different engines and heads and lots of other bits and pieces. Maybe you'd be a 2.40 marathoner if you were doing consistent 70 mile weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Itziger wrote: »
    I did about 1.01.50 for 16 kms in a Half last week and I wouldn't put me down as in sub 3 shape yet. .

Really, that's very solid running! I ran 3:00:20 (in Connemara) and my 10m was 62 at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

My m pb is 3.09 and that was done off an 18 week block of 690 miles
    This 18 week block will have me around 820 miles .

Its not the block, its the foundation that block sits on...

You have more miles done and some decent LRs. It looks light on MP mileage to me and the segments you did at 7:02ish pace would suggest 3:05 as a target but 6mile segments are a bit short to gauge. 1:08 for 10m would have been a good indicator if you did it at marathon tempo, but it was a race and wrecked you.

Now, I know you have bags of cycling and swimming done over the years and while it doesn't translate straight to running legs or form it does translate to the engine.

I'm in a similar boat to you, although I have 5 weeks to Limerick. I thought maybe going off with the 3:15 pacers (I missed a couple of week training completely due to illness) and pushing on but on the day I may go off at 3:10 pace if I feel ready for it.

If 3:09 is your PB, how about doing that pace for the first half and bring home a new one in the second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corklily05

Hi,

I'm new to this thread, DCM will be my first marathon in 3 years. Working full time and doing a part time masters at the moment. So, I have to train smart, not hard at the moment. I working on my 5k/10k pace at the moment. On a threadmill my 5k pace is 19mins at the moment. My best 5k was 18.18 in 2013 and looking to get back to that level of fitness.

At the moment i'm doing boxcore (mix of boxing and core strength) on a monday, track sessions with the club on a tuesday and a thursday and threadmill in the gym on a sat. Long runs may have to wait until june i'm afraid.

My PB is 3.06.35 in 2013. i usually train 5/6 days a week when im in serious training. Does anyone do 7 days? Also, do people taper for 1 or 2 weeks before marathon? How many runs do people do above 20 miles? i usually do 3! Thanks in advance for advise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why is the Saturday run in a gym?
    Why not run on Sunday too, even if not a long run?

I work saturdays and i have a gym in work so, i go on my lunchbreak.
    Sundays are usually spent on assignments for college, had a bad knee injury last year which kept me out for 6 months so, im afraid to step up the training to early on in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should increase the number of easy miles you run. At the moment you have two sessions and an easy run. The sessions are more likely to cause an injury than an easy run. Even more dangerous though is to suddenly start "marathon training" and start piling on miles.

Build up the easy miles as slowly as possible, which means starting as soon as possible.

If you can, run the Saturday miles outside. The race will not be on a treadmill.

I did a 5k timetrial in 19 mins yesterday on the threadmill so im not doing any easy runs at the moment. In saying so, i might go for 8-10 miles easy today and get started

No easy miles is the surest recipe for injury known to Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Its not the block, its the foundation that block sits on...

You have more miles done and some decent LRs. It looks light on MP mileage to me and the segments you did at 7:02ish pace would suggest 3:05 as a target but 6mile segments are a bit short to gauge. 1:08 for 10m would have been a good indicator if you did it at marathon tempo, but it was a race and wrecked you.

Now, I know you have bags of cycling and swimming done over the years and while it doesn't translate straight to running legs or form it does translate to the engine.

I'm in a similar boat to you, although I have 5 weeks to Limerick. I thought maybe going off with the 3:15 pacers (I missed a couple of week training completely due to illness) and pushing on but on the day I may go off at 3:10 pace if I feel ready for it.

If 3:09 is your PB, how about doing that pace for the first half and bring home a new one in the second half?

I reckon i would have a decent engine. 8 yrs doing tri retired in 2016. i went 3.09 off 620 miles running. Sounds like a wise plan to start off at 3.09 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Did Manchester yesterday.Had a motorbike crash last November.Only got back running New Years Eve.Fitness came back alot quicker than I could have wished for.Yesterday was supposed to be a long hard Marathon paced effort,maybe 16/17 at m.p,to see where I am at for Limerick.After the first mile,I said feck it,and just went for a sub 3.Came home in 2:58:44.Delighted all things considered.Mite be sensible now for once and just give the half a lash in Limerick,and forget the full until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Did Manchester yesterday.Had a motorbike crash last November.Only got back running New Years Eve.Fitness came back alot quicker than I could have wished for.Yesterday was supposed to be a long hard Marathon paced effort,maybe 16/17 at m.p,to see where I am at for Limerick.After the first mile,I said feck it,and just went for a sub 3.Came home in 2:58:44.Delighted all things considered.Mite be sensible now for once and just give the half a lash in Limerick,and forget the full until next year.

Your to old to be playing around with motorbikes J!! Glad it wasn’t serious & you recovered well. Nice going in Manchester yesterday, great going after your accident. Be sensible is right!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Your to old to be playing around with motorbikes J!! Glad it wasn’t serious & you recovered well. Nice going in Manchester yesterday, great going after your accident. Be sensible is right!!
    Ha,cheers B,I think I'm too old for this running lark aswell.

....Mite be sensible now for once and just give the half a lash in Limerick,and forget the full until next year.

Great running mate, a casual sub 3 :) running the Half myself in Limerick. Any target in mind?

Great running mate, a casual sub 3 :) running the Half myself in Limerick. Any target in mind?
    I haven't a clue what to aim for.I've never done a half,so I will definitely p.b.Following your log all the time,fantastic running of late.Fair play to you.What you hoping for in Limerick?

I haven't a clue what to aim for.I've never done a half,so I will definitely p.b.Following your log all the time,fantastic running of late.Fair play to you.What you hoping for in Limerick?

You're the only person I've come across that's run multiple sub 3 marathons and has never raced a half! :) do I remember you saying you'd done a time trial half in training before?
    Not sure what to go for in Limerick, I've just been enjoying training, and racing a few shorter distances knowing that the half marathon will end the block of training. Set relatively big PBs over 5k,5Mile & 10k so I've a bit of form on paper anyway!.....Tentatively going to say get to 10miles in under 60mins and then see where I am........PB is 1:19:59 so that's my first target ;)

You're the only person I've come across that's run multiple sub 3 marathons and has never raced a half! :) do I remember you saying you'd done a time trial half in training before?
    Not sure what to go for in Limerick, I've just been enjoying training, and racing a few shorter distances knowing that the half marathon will end the block of training. Set relatively big PBs over 5k,5Mile & 10k so I've a bit of form on paper anyway!.....Tentatively going to say get to 10miles in under 60mins and then see where I am........PB is 1:19:59 so that's my first target ;)
    That p.b is going to take some battering I would say.Can not remember if I did a timetrial or was it part of a long m.p run,but the watch says a record of 1:25:11 for the half.So I might aim for 1:24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Superb run buddy I’m delighted for you!! How do I get to see this blog? I want to take my hm time down but I always seem stuck in marathon programmes

That p.b is going to take some battering I would say.Can not remember if I did a timetrial or was it part of a long m.p run,but the watch says a record of 1:25:11 for the half.So I might aim for 1:24.

1.24 seems a bit conservative off a 2.58. Chuck in a few faster reps in preparation for the Half and see if you can't aim for a 1.22 or so.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Superb run buddy I’m delighted for you!! How do I get to see this blog? I want to take my hm time down but I always seem stuck in marathon programmes
    How's things squinn,give a look into this(It's all in the try)over in training logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

How's things squinn,give a look into this(It's all in the try)over in training logs.

Not bad buddy just tuning up for Belfast. I dunno how to get to training logs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Not bad buddy just tuning up for Belfast. I dunno how to get to training logs.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1139

Advertisement