Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Village87

I'd actually disagree with this point here, over the last few years there has definitely been a change in style of a few of the Kilkenny clubs, at senior level, Dicksboro, Ballyhale, O' Loughlins, the Bridge and the Village all play a variation of a short game more often than not, in fact anyone who was out in Ballyragget last year when the Village lost to Comer would say that maybe overdoing the short game in wet conditions against a very physical team didn't help them one bit.

Against Ballyhale last year the Boro used Buckley as a sweeper for a good chunk of the game, and the year before Larkin played very deep for the Village on their run to the county final, almost on their own half back line a lot of the time, before switching in as the game went on.

Ballyhale use a great combination of short ball and stick pass, as was seen this year, they benefit from having both strong ball winners and good stickmen such as Mullen mentioned above who have the skills to go both short and long.

The Bridge have operated a short game since Junior, if anything the last few years has seen them slightly change to a longer game aimed at hitting Blanchfield inside early, however watching them play last year they still like to get the two Morrisseys on the ball using short passing, Sean especially thrives in a team like this, where he can use his intelligence to find space and get away shots at goal.

O' Loughlins played a quite short running game for much of last year, they brought back Gorta later in the year and mixed it up a bit more when he was full forward but they use the ball very cleverly at the back and I'd expect with more and more of their younger players breaking through, they will continue to adopt a shorter running game over the coming years.

This man knows his club hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think jackie tyrell may have been a bit premature not ranking limerick in the top three hurling teams in the country. Maybe he was just trying to heap a bit of pressure on them.They are a fine team that have it all and will take some stopping this year. I'm hopeful kilkenny will play a bit smarter than we showed in the league but if we don't start playing with a plan we will not be in the top three teams. Most of the teams have men running off the ball in to space the hit and hope balls out of defence is redundant. Limerick galway clare Wexford etc will eat those up all day long. I don't mind losing we had a great time for ten plus years. If brian and company can come up with a game plan to compete with the best I'll be happy. The hurlers are coming we just need to see what the best are bringing to the table and come up with a plan.

I agree with you 're Jackie comment. Limerick are far ahead of the chasing pack. They have youth which means peaking too early won't be an issue this year anyway. That beautiful goal that Gillane scored empathise their skill level.
    Btw Kilkenny are not in the top three of hurling rankings this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Leinster is wide open this year. Canning is obviously a massive loss to Galway, Wexford have tough fixtures with Galway and Dublin away, Kilkenny struggle against sweepers and both Wexford and Dublin use them while Dublin seem to be better than they were last year and they could have easily beaten us and Wexford last year.

Most of the other counties know what their best starting 15 is or have a good idea but Kilkenny still don’t know because of injuries and the shamrocks success. This is worrying enough to me as it’s near impossible to guess what the team will be and what tactics will be used. The club games will give players a chance to show their skills and hopefully gain some more confidence going into championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Village87

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Leinster is wide open this year. Canning is obviously a massive loss to Galway, Wexford have tough fixtures with Galway and Dublin away, Kilkenny struggle against sweepers and both Wexford and Dublin use them while Dublin seem to be better than they were last year and they could have easily beaten us and Wexford last year.

Most of the other counties know what their best starting 15 is or have a good idea but Kilkenny still don’t know because of injuries and the shamrocks success. This is worrying enough to me as it’s near impossible to guess what the team will be and what tactics will be used. The club games will give players a chance to show their skills and hopefully gain some more confidence going into championship.

Club games are massive for players to put there hand up over the next few weeks. We all know Brian Cody takes all matches serious and they would have gone to Cork last week with a strong team to put in a good show, backs were very poor and 3 replaced by half time. Management must have concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Village87 wrote: »
    Club games are massive for players to put there hand up over the next few weeks. We all know Brian Cody takes all matches serious and they would have gone to Cork last week with a strong team to put in a good show, backs were very poor and 3 replaced by half time. Management must have concerns

I know you were at the match, so were the match reports incorrect in stating that all substitutions happened after half time?

In one of your recent posts you said you would drop Fogarty, Holden, Murphy and Deegan and that you would bring in D Mullen. I'm not sure Mullen is that good, yet, in that he could replace 4! I asked you who'd you replace them with but you never responded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Grats wrote: »
    I know you were at the match, so were the match reports incorrect in stating that all substitutions happened after half time?

In one of your recent posts you said you would drop Fogarty, Holden, Murphy and Deegan and that you would bring in D Mullen. I'm not sure Mullen is that good, yet, in that he could replace 4! I asked you who'd you replace them with but you never responded.

Not to speak on his behalf, but he said they make too many mistakes, not that he would drop them all.

Not to speak on his behalf, but he said they make too many mistakes, not that he would drop them all.

That's correct.

I'll put it another way. Can he see those four improving enough to satisfy him? If not, other than the unproven D Mullen, who would he use instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Neewollah

Great to have the club hurling back this weekend. Interesting ties. Hard games to call as always

Saturday April 6th
    Bennetsbridge v James Stephens - Village to shade this one. Motivation should be a bit more and a new manager in place. Rob Lennon will be a big loss for the Bridge

Ballyhale Shamrocks v Clara - Ballyhale - I expect this to be close though. Clara back to full strength and not many county player distractions. Could give them a right rattle.

St Patricks v The Rower/Inistioge - The Rower - The Inistioge men probably have a little bit more all round

Sunday April 7th
    Mullinavat v O'Loughlin Gaels - OLG - Too much strength in depth. Should win by a few

Dicksboro v Graigue/Ballycallan - Boro to start the year well

Erins Own v Danesfort - I think Danesfort could cause an upset here. More in them going forward than Comer

Neewollah wrote: »
    Great to have the club hurling back this weekend. Interesting ties. Hard games to call as always

Saturday April 6th
    Bennetsbridge v James Stephens - Village to shade this one. Motivation should be a bit more and a new manager in place. Rob Lennon will be a big loss for the Bridge

Ballyhale Shamrocks v Clara - Ballyhale - I expect this to be close though. Clara back to full strength and not many county player distractions. Could give them a right rattle.

St Patricks v The Rower/Inistioge - The Rower - The Inistioge men probably have a little bit more all round

Sunday April 7th
    Mullinavat v O'Loughlin Gaels - OLG - Too much strength in depth. Should win by a few

Dicksboro v Graigue/Ballycallan - Boro to start the year well

Erins Own v Danesfort - I think Danesfort could cause an upset here. More in them going forward than Comer

Bennettsbridge
    Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Rower Inistioge
    Mullinavat
    Dicksboro
    Erin's Own

• Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's correct.

I'll put it another way. Can he see those four improving enough to satisfy him? If not, other than the unproven D Mullen, who would he use instead?

Fair question.

My own sense is we were a little error prone and lacking sharpness during the league this year, but nothing you wouldn't expect us to improve on. I'm much more concerned about the tactical naivety of our approach, and our inability to get scores. Last year we seemed to be moving in a good direction in terms of how we supplied the forwards and moved the ball, but we are gone backwards in this respect this year again.

Regarding the scores. A mate of mine pointed out that we have only 23 goals from play in our last 30 competitive games (every game since 2017, we had 49 in the 30 games before that). In the same time, Wexford, playing the most ultra-conservative, defensive set up in top-tier hurling, have 39 from play in their last 30.

That's pretty dire no matter what way you slice it up, and it goes a long way to explaining our struggles lately. All that being said, I'm optimistic about this season. KK's decline is overstated, and we are completely under the radar. I'm excited about the Leinster championship because it is a really hard one to call this year (and I'm going to be home to see one or two matches this summer for the first time since 2015, which will change the dynamics of those matches entirely).

• Advertisement

Fair question.

My own sense is we were a little error prone and lacking sharpness during the league this year, but nothing you wouldn't expect us to improve on. I'm much more concerned about the tactical naivety of our approach, and our inability to get scores. Last year we seemed to be moving in a good direction in terms of how we supplied the forwards and moved the ball, but we are gone backwards in this respect this year again.

Regarding the scores. A mate of mine pointed out that we have only 23 goals from play in our last 30 competitive games (every game since 2017, we had 49 in the 30 games before that). In the same time, Wexford, playing the most ultra-conservative, defensive set up in top-tier hurling, have 39 from play in their last 30.

That's pretty dire no matter what way you slice it up, and it goes a long way to explaining our struggles lately. All that being said, I'm optimistic about this season. KK's decline is overstated, and we are completely under the radar. I'm excited about the Leinster championship because it is a really hard one to call this year (and I'm going to be home to see one or two matches this summer for the first time since 2015, which will change the dynamics of those matches entirely).

I agree we were very sloppy during the league. There was very little, if any, link up play other than what any hurler would do instinctively. I believe all of this was as a consequence of Cody taking the foot off the gas having learned from our long run to the League Final, quickly followed by the 4 Leinster matches. It all eventually caught up on the players.

There certainly was a move to smarter hurling last year which I expect, and hope, we'll revert back to in the Championship. A lot of catching up to do but at least the players should be fresher.

Again, I agree, that lack of goals/scored is a major issue. In many matches our backs have held out quite well but our low scoring let us down.

I too feel that we can come out with all guns blazing in May, we'll need to! There was no great pressure to go all out on the league and Cody didn't. The stating 15 changed in personnel and positional from match up match with players not at all use to playing along side each other or even in particular positions. I wouldn't read too much into our league performances. But more than anything, we do need a good game plan in order to give the forwards the optimum chance of winning ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

If we don't go back to the smarter hurling that we did in 2018 it will be a short year, the passes that limerick were doing last Sunday were inch perfect. Here is hoping that all the players will come through injury free the next couple of weekends, looking forward to the matches at the weekend as a lot of people are hopefully it will never have to come that we will have to play without our county players for club matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Heard James Maher has a bad injury could be out for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

BORO BILL wrote: »

Yes a broken leg gone for the year misfortunate chap. Big loss to Freshford. I like him he has skill will be a loss to the kilkenny panel too. Hope all goes well in his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

BORO BILL wrote: »

Yes a broken leg gone for the year misfortunate chap. Big loss to Freshford. I like him he has skill will be a loss to the kilkenny panel too. Hope all goes well in his recovery.
    terrible news.He had a great season last year.great engine snd chipped in with a score he will be missed for club and county.Hopefully he makes a full recovery

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I'd actually disagree with this point here, over the last few years there has definitely been a change in style of a few of the Kilkenny clubs, at senior level, Dicksboro, Ballyhale, O' Loughlins, the Bridge and the Village all play a variation of a short game more often than not, in fact anyone who was out in Ballyragget last year when the Village lost to Comer would say that maybe overdoing the short game in wet conditions against a very physical team didn't help them one bit.

Against Ballyhale last year the Boro used Buckley as a sweeper for a good chunk of the game, and the year before Larkin played very deep for the Village on their run to the county final, almost on their own half back line a lot of the time, before switching in as the game went on.

Ballyhale use a great combination of short ball and stick pass, as was seen this year, they benefit from having both strong ball winners and good stickmen such as Mullen mentioned above who have the skills to go both short and long.

The Bridge have operated a short game since Junior, if anything the last few years has seen them slightly change to a longer game aimed at hitting Blanchfield inside early, however watching them play last year they still like to get the two Morrisseys on the ball using short passing, Sean especially thrives in a team like this, where he can use his intelligence to find space and get away shots at goal.

O' Loughlins played a quite short running game for much of last year, they brought back Gorta later in the year and mixed it up a bit more when he was full forward but they use the ball very cleverly at the back and I'd expect with more and more of their younger players breaking through, they will continue to adopt a shorter running game over the coming years.

Without wanting to disrespect the spirit of the post as it is a sincere post, I think there is some wishful thinking here. The first thing to remember is that Limerick are the current standard setters. I’m afraid none of us can deny that. In my opinion, there is no Kilkenny club playing that type of game. Obviously no club could be expected to play to the level of a county team but in general principle, Shamrocks included, there is no Kilkenny club going about their business with the same approach. There is no club doing the amount of handpassing and off the shoulder running that Limerick do in their own half of the field. In fact, Kilkenny players are more likely to stick pass in a less economical fashion as part of their short game. Examples such of Bennettsbridge playing a short game since they were junior, I personally wouldn’t agree with. Five years ago and the style still never took off…. It is also noticeable that only 5 out of 24 senior/intermediate clubs are mentioned. Not too many matches where both teams would be playing the same brand of hurling. Not to mention all our junior clubs. People here tend to forget about the junior clubs, yet we have a huge amount of underage players going through the development squad system up to minor who come from these junior clubs. Talent does disappear in Kilkenny. Even the bloggers forget about them

I have said that the Shamrocks are way ahead of everyone at the moment. Like any team on any given day they can be beaten. The Shamrocks do not do the level of handpassing that Limerick do. In fact, the Shamrocks have benefited from teams, particularly outside Kilkenny, who have made Darren Mullen a sweeper as a consequence rather than a tactic. As many have mentioned Darren is a very good stick man who makes very good use of an accurate stick pass. His accuracy has been the lynchpin of the majority of Shamrocks attacks. However, on Sunday Waterford’s version Tadgh De Burca was found out by an intense and crowded Limerick half forward line which closed him down very quickly. It highlighted what many knowledgeable Waterford people say about Tadgh that he is good as the spare man but limited in man to man combat. How would Darren Mullen fair in man to man combat at this stage of his career? Bear in mind that at club level you will get a little more time on the ball.

Limerick do play a very high risk game in defence. You need hard working energetic forwards to disrupt that. If you can disrupt it, it will cause Limerick problems. Waterford had no hope by playing the sweeper and not pushing that extra man forward. The difficulty is that the hardest working forwards are not always prolific scorers let alone goal scorers. When the short hand pass has been perfected and the culture of support play and patience is there like Limerick has, it is very hard to disrupt it. The natural Kilkenny defensive game is way more frantic. Too many don’t want to adopt a football approach. (Although I would say the best game of the three on Sunday was the football match – Five goals compared to a total of three between the hurling and the camogie for example.), Again this is my opinion, I don’t see that type of game being played or attempted in Kilkenny. When a team is picked in Kilkenny we still talk about the old-school 15 numbered positions. For Limerick a lot of the positions very fluid. Maybe this weekend might change my opinion.

Of course we could still disrupt Limerick with our natural game if are players are more efficient in delivering it. Oh and I'm certainly not suggesting a sweeper as a tactic. The league final for Waterford showed how pointless a sweeper is to stop Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Without wanting to disrespect the spirit of the post as it is a sincere post, I think there is some wishful thinking here. The first thing to remember is that Limerick are the current standard setters. I’m afraid none of us can deny that. In my opinion, there is no Kilkenny club playing that type of game. Obviously no club could be expected to play to the level of a county team but in general principle, Shamrocks included, there is no Kilkenny club going about their business with the same approach. There is no club doing the amount of handpassing and off the shoulder running that Limerick do in their own half of the field. In fact, Kilkenny players are more likely to stick pass in a less economical fashion as part of their short game. Examples such of Bennettsbridge playing a short game since they were junior, I personally wouldn’t agree with. Five years ago and the style still never took off…. It is also noticeable that only 5 out of 24 senior/intermediate clubs are mentioned. Not too many matches where both teams would be playing the same brand of hurling. Not to mention all our junior clubs. People here tend to forget about the junior clubs, yet we have a huge amount of underage players going through the development squad system up to minor who come from these junior clubs. Talent does disappear in Kilkenny. Even the bloggers forget about them

I have said that the Shamrocks are way ahead of everyone at the moment. Like any team on any given day they can be beaten. The Shamrocks do not do the level of handpassing that Limerick do. In fact, the Shamrocks have benefited from teams, particularly outside Kilkenny, who have made Darren Mullen a sweeper as a consequence rather than a tactic. As many have mentioned Darren is a very good stick man who makes very good use of an accurate stick pass. His accuracy has been the lynchpin of the majority of Shamrocks attacks. However, on Sunday Waterford’s version Tadgh De Burca was found out by an intense and crowded Limerick half forward line which closed him down very quickly. It highlighted what many knowledgeable Waterford people say about Tadgh that he is good as the spare man but limited in man to man combat. How would Darren Mullen fair in man to man combat at this stage of his career? Bear in mind that at club level you will get a little more time on the ball.

Limerick do play a very high risk game in defence. You need hard working energetic forwards to disrupt that. If you can disrupt it, it will cause Limerick problems. Waterford had no hope by playing the sweeper and not pushing that extra man forward. The difficulty is that the hardest working forwards are not always prolific scorers let alone goal scorers. When the short hand pass has been perfected and the culture of support play and patience is there like Limerick has, it is very hard to disrupt it. The natural Kilkenny defensive game is way more frantic. Too many don’t want to adopt a football approach. (Although I would say the best game of the three on Sunday was the football match – Five goals compared to a total of three between the hurling and the camogie for example.), Again this is my opinion, I don’t see that type of game being played or attempted in Kilkenny. When a team is picked in Kilkenny we still talk about the old-school 15 numbered positions. For Limerick a lot of the positions very fluid. Maybe this weekend might change my opinion.

Of course we could still disrupt Limerick with our natural game if are players are more efficient in delivering it. Oh and I'm certainly not suggesting a sweeper as a tactic. The league final for Waterford showed how pointless a sweeper is to stop Limerick

I think Kilkenny would disrupt Limerick playing their natural game but it would take a full 70mins and alot less mistakes than they currently make. I cant see kilkenny aping Limerick. It's not natural for them. Limericks gameplan suits their mentality and natural hurling ability. They are workers and they fit this style like a glove. Kilkenny can hurt people in a different way.

Dublin is our immediate priority. Limerick are in the far distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Fair question.

just on the point about how defensive Wexford are (and I hope you said it with tongue in cheek) but its actually not really defensive at all. They play a sweeper, but it is to cover for the amount of runs from deep form the half backs. I have no stats to back it up at all, but I'd imagine the scores from half back to midfield and then the half forward line are up significantly over the last few years and the scores from the full forwards (allowing also for a missed full forward) are way down. This style of play leaves them very open at the back and vulnerable with the right tactics, something which some teams have figured out and others have not. With Davy being in charge and mention of sweeper, the lazy analysis is to say they are a defensive side, I'd argue the opposite and they are more attacking now and have conceded more goals than in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭therealdonster

Jesus the Maher news is terrible. Another nail in what is rapidly shaping up to be a terrible year. He was one of the few emerging stars that we have and one of the few that knew where the posts were too. 2019 has the feel of an annus horribilis about it already.

Hopefully the lad makes a full recovery again.

• Advertisement

Jesus the Maher news is terrible. Another nail in what is rapidly shaping up to be a terrible year. He was one of the few emerging stars that we have and one of the few that knew where the posts were too. 2019 has the feel of an annus horribilis about it already.

Hopefully the lad makes a full recovery again.
    definitly a big loss but dont think things are as bad as you say.Every team is going to pick up injuries thats part and parcel of things.Maher was brillant for us last year and a very consistent performer.He was a real find
    its going to weaken our options around midfield for sure but that what the panel is for.Hopefully leahy can step up and be more consistent.who else are options for midfield?browne hasnt much experience at this level.
    good to hear buckley is back running.I wonder what way are bill sheehan and Scanlon are in terms of getting back.i know sheehan and buckley wont be availble this weekend but hopefully no fresh injuries.We still dont know what way we are with delaneys suspension but as others have said theres a lot of question marks around the make up of our team which is a slight worry.
    what happens if delaney is suspended,and buckley isnt fit enough?deegan has being tried at 3 and 6 and infairness wont be faulted for effort but itd be very hard guess the backs and midfield for the dublin match. 3 and 6 are pivotal positions and we have no idea who will fill them.

Maher was good for two or three points every game, and had a huge work rate. He was excellent against Galway & Limerick and I can't see anyone replacing him to be honest out of what we have.

Not a huge believer in luck as you make your own but I suppose this is where it comes in if you can avoid injuries. With the harder groubd just around the corner I think he was going to be a key player in summer 2019. Our panel was not that strong to begin with and now it is weaker.

brookville wrote: »
    definitly a big loss but dont think things are as bad as you say.Every team is going to pick up injuries thats part and parcel of things.Maher was brillant for us last year and a very consistent performer.He was a real find
    its going to weaken our options around midfield for sure but that what the panel is for.Hopefully leahy can step up and be more consistent.who else are options for midfield?browne hasnt much experience at this level.
    good to hear buckley is back running.I wonder what way are bill sheehan and Scanlon are in terms of getting back.i know sheehan and buckley wont be availble this weekend but hopefully no fresh injuries.We still dont know what way we are with delaneys suspension but as others have said theres a lot of question marks around the make up of our team which is a slight worry.
    what happens if delaney is suspended,and buckley isnt fit enough?deegan has being tried at 3 and 6 and infairness wont be faulted for effort but itd be very hard guess the backs and midfield for the dublin match. 3 and 6 are pivotal positions and we have no idea who will fill them.

Think you have to forget about Buckley for the opening few games at least and hope we make it from the group & that he recovers fully by that stage.

The no 3 & 6 positions appear to be between Deegan & Delaney. Delaney for me is the more natural 3 but wouldn't be out of place at 6, kind of similar to Brian Hogan who was comfortable in either position.

I like Deegan as a player as he is wholehearted & strong. He was one of the men to emerge as a key player in 2018 and I would disagree with some posters comments regarding his touch. He was the go to man for other defenders when in trouble last year and is capable of long range scores. Full back is a specialised position.however so personally I would lean towards Delaney at 3 and Paddy at 6. What would people think of Holden at 6??

It really isn't good that we have so many doubts over what the starting 15 is which has been compounded now with Mahers injury.

Here is a stab at what the starting 15 Vs Dublin will be...

1. E Murphy

2. P Murphy
    3. C Delaney
    4. T Walsh

5. P Walsh
    6. P Deegan
    7. R Reid

8. C Fogarty
    9. C Browne

10. W Walsh
    11. G Aylward
    12. TJ Reid

13. B Ryan
    14. C Fennelly
    15. A Mullen

reports this morning is maher fractured his leg.
    i think the idea of joey at 6 might work but not much time to work on players in these positions

Is Colin Fennelly back on the panel this year?

Is Colin Fennelly back on the panel this year?
    suppose to be anyway

How is his Colin Fennelly injury that happened to him in the club final.

Was it training with the club that James Maher got his injury.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Was it training with the club that James Maher got his injury.
    reports on the paper said it was with freshford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Think you have to forget about Buckley for the opening few games at least and hope we make it from the group & that he recovers fully by that stage.

The no 3 & 6 positions appear to be between Deegan & Delaney. Delaney for me is the more natural 3 but wouldn't be out of place at 6, kind of similar to Brian Hogan who was comfortable in either position.

I like Deegan as a player as he is wholehearted & strong. He was one of the men to emerge as a key player in 2018 and I would disagree with some posters comments regarding his touch. He was the go to man for other defenders when in trouble last year and is capable of long range scores. Full back is a specialised position.however so personally I would lean towards Delaney at 3 and Paddy at 6. What would people think of Holden at 6??

It really isn't good that we have so many doubts over what the starting 15 is which has been compounded now with Mahers injury.

Here is a stab at what the starting 15 Vs Dublin will be...

1. E Murphy

2. P Murphy
    3. C Delaney
    4. T Walsh

5. P Walsh
    6. P Deegan
    7. R Reid

8. C Fogarty
    9. C Browne

10. W Walsh
    11. G Aylward
    12. TJ Reid

13. B Ryan
    14. C Fennelly
    15. A Mullen

That's a strong starting 15, with plenty of very capable subs, the likes of Leahy, Donnelly, Hogan, Cleere can definitely do as job, as well as D. Mullen, Brassil, Kelly, Blanchfield who could potentially make an impact if they push on a bit.

It'd be great to have Buckley back fit. If he is ready, I would have Deegan at back at corner back where he did very well last year. Richie Reid was outstanding for the Shamrocks and deserves a chance.
    Fair question.

Totally agree with all of this. I felt that we were generally lacking sharpness which can be put right, but the most concerning thing is our tactical approach seems to have reverted back to "lump a high 50/50 ball to the forwards" (if it's even 50/50 when they are mostly being smothered by a sweeper).

I felt we made progress in 2018, but seem to have regressed a bit though it's difficult to read too much into a disrupted league campaign.

Also agree that our decline is overstated. We were close to beating Limerick last year, and were a puck of the ball away from beating Galway in the Leinster final the first day. This panel with the right plan is capable of competing.
    But more than anything, we do need a good game plan in order to give the forwards the optimum chance of winning ball.

I think that's the key to it. When we consistently deliver poor quality ball to the forwards, it's not surprising to see the goal stats mentioned above. We're having trouble retaining possession when it goes forward, nevermind creating goal chances.

If we do persist with delivering long, high, hopeful ball in, then at least I hope we go with a half forward line of Donnelly, TJ and Walter who are our best catchers of a high ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement