Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Fianna Fail - Sinn Fein coalition inevitable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Maybe it would cost more to have workers working day and night and someone no doubt would be whining in the Dail it could have been done cheaper if we didn’t have to pay for all the overtime.

There is no winning.

You understand the term "yellow pack" I assume, yeah?

We can only guess the costing for 24/7 work Vs 10/5 as I wasn't privy to the tenders, but can't imagine there would have been much in it if the work was being done in half the time.

And I'm not whinging, it will be s great job when completed, I'm just pointing out the disheartening sight of idle machinery in the evenings and weekends, while stuck in jams or trying to be nabbed by private speeding companies for doing a few km over 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you read the comments?

People offering a 3 bed for 1200 a month.

Just because this women tweets she wants a 3 bed for 1800 doesn’t mean that’s the going rate.

More nonsense on twitter.
    According to Daft, it's actually a bit low for the going rate;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

You understand the term "yellow pack" I assume, yeah?

We can only guess the costing for 24/7 work Vs 10/5 as I wasn't privy to the tenders, but can't imagine there would have been much in it if the work was being done in half the time.

And I'm not whinging, it will be s great job when completed, I'm just pointing out the disheartening sight of idle machinery in the evenings and weekends, while stuck in jams or trying to be nabbed by private speeding companies for doing a few km over 60.

What's your rush ?. Go at a few km below 60. But then I suppose you'd have nothing to whinge about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As a very regular user of the road, it's a major pain in the hoop being stuck in major queues of traffic, and the 60km restrictions, with the speed cameras randomly and strategically placed on it. (Must be a nice earner though)
    Speed vans aren't 'a nice earner'. Speed vans cost us about €10 million each year to 'encourage' motorists to stop killing and maiming each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Shinners down 5 points today.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    What's your rush ?. Go at a few km below 60. But then I suppose you'd have nothing to whinge about.

What's the rush?

None at all, I've no problems sticking to the speed limit (cruise control, and relax) however I feel that motorists going to and from their daily work commutes (the life and soul of the economy, those paying their taxes) deserved to have been subjected to as little disruption to their commutes as possible.

Restricting the work to five day week, ten hour shifts is ludicrous (IMO obviously)

Sorry if I didn't already make that clear enough for you M.

Regardless, we can blame Shane Ross' department for the disruption and needlessly lengthy time frames for the completion, but we can praise FG for being in govt when the work is completed. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What's the rush?

None at all, I've no problems sticking to the speed limit (cruise control, and relax) however I feel that motorists going to and from their daily work commutes (the life and soul of the economy, those paying their taxes) deserved to have been subjected to as little disruption to their commutes as possible.

Restricting the work to five day week, ten hour shifts is ludicrous (IMO obviously)

Sorry if I didn't already make that clear enough for you M.

Regardless, we can blame Shane Ross' department for the disruption and needlessly lengthy time frames for the completion, but we can praise FG for being in govt when the work is completed. Nice one.

The work will be finished soon Jesus stop moaning whining whinging over every silly detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A 3 Bed in a country town would be close to €1200/month. Like to deal in facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Funny thing is SF votes for the bank guarantee.

Won’t hear them saying that though.

please stop trying to rewrite history. yes they voted for the guarantee initially but:
    When we saw the detail of what the Government proposed, the Credit Institutions Bill, we opposed it.
    .... which is what Ó Caoláin said after. Publicly (so you would have heard them saying that had you been listening)

maccored wrote: »
    please stop trying to rewrite history. yes they voted for the guarantee initially but:

.... which is what Ó Caoláin said after. Publicly (so you would have heard them saying that had you been listening)

Sounds exactly like Sinn Fein alright.

Speak from both sides of their mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »

Lots of people claim differently in hindsight.

Even the architect of the bank bailout David Williams who initially claimed credit for it, denied it later.

The only party who voted against it ironically was Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Just on the N7 upgrade, it will be great when it's done but I can't help feel there's a whiff of yellow pack going on with it.

Such a busy stretch of road being upgraded in any other country, and the workers would be at it 24/7.

It's a bit ridiculous that we seem to be only paying for the upgrade work to be carried out floor mid week construction, and no night time work going on.

As a very regular user of the road, it's a major pain in the hoop being stuck in major queues of traffic, and the 60km restrictions, with the speed cameras randomly and strategically placed on it. (Must be a nice earner though)

Looking at all the equipment on that road sitting Idle in the evenings and all the weekend is fairly disheartening.

No reason that road couldn't have been completed a lot sooner.

fully agreed on the working hours - anywhere else would have that site running 24/7 to get it done ASAP. But instead we have a focus on the headline "cost" of the project so overtime/shift work cannot be countenanced (and instead we ignore the massive "hidden" costs of the project taking much longer than it should).

The 60km restrictions, combined with enforcement, are a positive though. Do you not remember how bad the traffic jams were when the works started initially? Any time I've gone through since the enforcement started the traffic has seemed to flow a lot more smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

enricoh wrote: »
    Its an attractive career choice now for people to get on homeless list. You get yer gaff in dublin while those that pay for it commute in from the surrounding counties n sit on the m50.
    Apparently we have to house anyone in the world who rocks up to Ireland for social housing also. Over 60% on fingals housing list were foreign born a few years ago.[/quote

In the news today 21% presenting as homeless in dublin are non eu nationals, many who are here illegally. Anyone got the percentage of non irish eu nationals on the list. Gotta be over 50% combined with that 21%.
    Should help keep the homeless industry in crisis mode for years to come!

How do illegal immigrants qualify to seek social housing?

Surely you would imagine that actually being allowed to be here, and with all the relevant paper work should be essential before you're even entertained (or am I being naive)?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How do illegal immigrants qualify to seek social housing?

Most of them don't. Which presents a problem when they present as homeless and probably why it was flagged in the report:
    “The latter group presents a significant challenge to the [Dublin Region Homeless Executive] in terms of their entitlement to housing and welfare provisions,” the report said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Sounds exactly like Sinn Fein alright.

Speak from both sides of their mouths.

jaysus - one minute they're accused of keeping things quiet and saying nothing, and the next they 'Speak from both sides of their mouths' ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd hate to see Sinn Fein stoop so low.
    FF are capable of anything but it's far from inevitable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What ministries would SF want, and indeed get in such a situation?

There's no way they'd be given Justice, Defence or Finance under any circumstances, and I don't think they'd want the first two but Finance or part of it was a prize of the smaller party before

I imagine they wouldn't want the ones that get the flak back - Health all the time and Social Welfare & Environment (local taxation, water charges etc) if it all goes south economically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well they would never get Finance; a majority partner would never allow the minority partner to dictate policy under threat of with-holding the various departments funds or funneling funds into the departments they do have other Ministers in.

Could see them taking Housing, and maybe Sport (if only to cut funding for the Int soccer/rugby/Olympic teams and handing blank cheques to the GAA).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

L1011 wrote: »

There's no way they'd be given Justice, Defence or Finance under any circumstances, and I don't think they'd want the first two but Finance or part of it was a prize of the smaller party before

I imagine they wouldn't want the ones that get the flak back - Health all the time and Social Welfare & Environment (local taxation, water charges etc) if it all goes south economically

Given that they claim to have all the answers to Health, SW and Housing, it would be remiss not to allow them solve them. 😀

• Advertisement

Given that they claim to have all the answers to Health, SW and Housing, it would be remiss not to allow them solve them. ��

They're doing what opposition parties do.

Don't you remember Endas infamous "Family home tax" statements? Something about vampires and stakes and whatnot?

Opposing water charges, until the infrastructure was fixed.

He was also going to sort out the trolley crisis.

It's what opposition parties do.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

They're doing what opposition parties do.

Don't you remember Endas infamous "Family home tax" statements? Something about vampires and stakes and whatnot?

Opposing water charges, until the infrastructure was fixed.

He was also going to sort out the trolley crisis.

It's what opposition parties do.

Are you saying that SF don’t have the answers to the Health, SW and Housing issues?

L1011 wrote: »

They'd have a long way to go to match the incompetence of FF/FG in all of the above. People talk about SF and others like they'd be the ruination of the country yet continually give FF/FG a pass because, well SF would be the ruination of the country. It's beyond a joke.
    atticu wrote: »
    Are you saying that SF don’t have the answers to the Health, SW and Housing issues?

Record breaking crises year on year? I'd give them a go.

atticu wrote: »

No.

I'm saying (quite clearly) that opposition parties all claim to have the answers to our problems, it's only when that get in that you'll find out whether their claims turn out to be complete fluff or not.

Endas promises in hindsight were fluff.

They'd have a long way to go to match the incompetence of FF/FG in all of the above. People talk about SF and others like they'd be the ruination of the country yet continually give FF/FG a pass because, well SF would be the ruination of the country. It's beyond a joke.

Record breaking crises year on year? I'd give them a go.

I suppose your alluding to the homeless figures?

Did you read the news during the week where 1 in 5 families presenting as homeless are from outside the EU and illegal.

Are you blaming the government for not having a house for all these families who just rock up out of nowhere?

Actually you’re a SF supporter and seems they are pro open borders and houses for everyone you probably are.

I suppose your alluding to the homeless figures?

Did you read the news during the week where 1 in 5 families presenting as homeless are from outside the EU and illegal.

Are you blaming the government for not having a house for all these families who just rock up out of nowhere?

Actually you’re a SF supporter and seems they are pro open borders and houses for everyone you probably are.

Take your pick, Housing, homeless, health, justice, Defence forces issues too.
    You dodged my point, (immigrants would be another thread under 'took our jobs!').
    I'm stating that FF/FG are awful in regard to all those areas listed and it's beyond humorous to continue selling that scaremongering tale considering the bar is set so low currently.

I'm not a SF supporter, I would vote for SF over FF/FG any day for sure. That said I'd vote for a complete outsider I never heard of over a FF/FG shill.

Take your pick, Housing, homeless, health, justice, Defence forces issues too.
    You dodged my point, (immigrants would be another thread under 'took our jobs!').
    I'm stating that FF/FG are awful in regard to all those areas listed and it's beyond humorous to continue selling that scaremongering tale considering the bar is set so low currently.

I'm not a SF supporter, I would vote for SF over FF/FG any day for sure. That said I'd vote for a complete outsider I never heard of over a FF/FG shill.

No no.

1 in 5 homeless are from outside the EU and arrived here illegally.

Seems you’re slating them on homeless figures this is very relevant.

How is it the governments fault if a homeless family illegally arrives here illegaly and there is no house to put them in?

Should there be a house for them so they aren’t homeless?

They are counted in the figures.

No no.

How is it the governments fault if a homeless family illegally arrives here illegaly and there is no house to put them in?

No offense meant, but if they’re here illegally, why are they not sent home?

No no.

You're making a lot of assumptions for someone not interested in my point or the thread.
    Slating them on various areas in relation to the suggestion SF would be worse, they could be mind, but they've a long ways to go is all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No offense meant, but if they’re here illegally, why are they not sent home?

The Dublin Regional Homeless Executive Report said that 21 percent of homeless are from outside the EU. It did not say how many, if any, arrived illegally.

Advertisement