Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people with English accents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why does it irritate people or worse that is a far more interesting question?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm far more irritated by Irish teenagers (particularly girls) with the most ****ed up American/Dublin 4 accent and them from the arsehole of Ireland.

I recently had the mispleasure of being in the same company as 4 teenage girls, one from Letterkenny, one from west Dongeal, one from Macroom and one from Baileboro in Cavan. They were friends and have known each other since last September and have become close friends. They all speak the exact same as each other, its a horrible D4 style accent with an American twang. There is absolutely no hint of Donegal, Cork or Cavan in any of their accents. Its absolutely bizarre, how the fcuk do they all speak exactly the same as each other??? They have to be fake accents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why does it irritate people or worse that is a far more interesting question?

Pretty obvious why. It's the same reason why certain Irish people take issue with anything remotely English or British. A cultured English accent is beautiful to listen to.
    I'm far more irritated by Irish teenagers (particularly girls) with the most ****ed up American/Dublin 4 accent and them from the arsehole of Ireland.

It's a strange one. I think it results from the amount of time they spend online playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Berserker wrote: »
    Pretty obvious why. It's the same reason why certain Irish people take issue with anything remotely English or British.
    To be fair, when you look at the list of people in the OP, it's clear that the issue is largely down to commentators and pontificators. Not English accents in general.

That is, there's a cultural memory that causes Irish people to bristle, whenever they hear an English accent (in particular) talking about Irish issues, or being perceived to be at all critical about Ireland.

It's a cultural notion that English people are by default required to STFU about Ireland. They've done enough damage. And thus anyone with an English accent is covered by this, whether they're English or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Irish people with English accents are the most lovely blend.

Andy Lee the boxer sounds great. Seems to know his stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I have a semi English/Irish accent. Spent ages 3-12 in England before the folks moved back here. I am 100 percent Irish and it drives me crazy when people think Im English.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Pal of mine is married to an English girl, he lived over there for a max 3 years before moving home with his wife and starting a family here.

Anytime his mates from there come to visit Dublin (he is a north sider) his accent switches into cockney. Also happens when he has a few beers the mockney accent comes out, the lads get great fun giving him stick when he does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I have a semi English/Irish accent. Spent ages 3-12 in England before the folks moved back here. I am 100 percent Irish and it drives me crazy when people think Im English.

try to keep it, though :)

topper75 wrote: »
    Andy Lee the boxer sounds great. Seems to know his stuff too.

Very knowledge guy, who comes across very well. Always thought that he got a raw deal support wise over here.

try to keep it, though :)

To be honest I hate it cos people always think either Im English or a traveller, but the Irish accent is stronger now

• Advertisement

That's mad. I moved to Ireland when I was six. Am in my mid thirties now. Still have a strong English accent. Some of my words sound Irish, apparently.

That's mad. I moved to Ireland when I was six. Am in my mid thirties now. Still have a strong English accent. Some of my words sound Irish, apparently.

I find the words like I i say in the irish manner and words like there is an english twang. Were your parents Irish!

I find the words like I i say in the irish manner and words like there is an english twang. Were your parents Irish!

Mother is Scottish. Father is American but lived in London for a good while.

Mother is Scottish. Father is American but lived in London for a good while.

My folks were Irish and would spent summers in Ireland etc so maybe thats got something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I find the emergence of the South Dublin accent (D4 Speak) particularly interesting. Humans will do anything and everything to to establish hierarchies and differentiate themselves from those they deem to be lower-down the social ladder. Post-independence, it wouldn't have been credible for the new Irish elite (those that took the reigns of the civil service, media, educational and political institutions) to continue to speak like the old Anglo-Irish establishment.

UCD became the unofficial clearing-house for this new elite (established as it was in opposition to Protestant Trinity and the 'godless' Queens colleges) - it moved to Belfield; within spitting distance of the most important institution of mass communication (RTE). From the 60s onwards, we see the emergence of the mid-Atlantic constructed patter, distinct from the bogman accents beyond the pale, and the urban underclass accent - and it moved further away from the BBC style RP you may have heard this emergent class speak a couple of decades earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm afraid I've probably used the anglicised form of someone's Irish name, and I know that's possibly more insulting than being mistaken for English when you're Irish and it's your heritage and it's a personal thing... but if you have one of those accents, don't expect my brain to function around you . Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive an aunt & uncle from Dublin whove lived in London for the best part of 45 years and have gone the full British. Accents that wouldnt sound of place at Henley, names changed from Irish to English, British citizenship and they even voted for Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I knew a lad from down the country who started going out with a girl from Dublin and a few months later had a full on Dub accent. Then I've known people who went to Australia or NZ for years and never picked up so much as a twang.

Apparently if you are musical/have a musical ear, you pick accents up quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Do you know what a non Rhotic R sounds like? it doesn’t sound like an r. Not only does Higgins pronounce his Rs, he over pronounces them even relative to an normal Irish accent. Can you give us at least a hint as to where you think he’s doing what you think.

Anyway this is about Irish people with English accents, not non-rhoticity.

There are very few good examples, although Adam Clayton is one.

Yeah Adam Clayton is another odd one. Granted he was born in England but he's lived in Ireland since he was eight and he's now nearly 60.
    Why is it odd? I was born in England, lived there til I was 8 and have an English (to your ears)accent. That's how I speak. Why should I change it to suit you? A few posts back people were complaining about people who emigrate and who's accent change. Loosing Irish accent after moving to England = prentious. Moving here from England not gaining an Irish accent =pretentious .
    Actually, to English people my accent sounds Irish. I have a hybrid accent as do most people who are born in England and move back as kids. Sometimes the Irish accent is the more dominant or it can be the other way around. I’m guessing that depends on how old you were when you got here and if you've got older siblings around you with a firmly in place English accent, which was the case with me. Or perhpaps it depends on how badly you're bullied into changing how you speak. In England I was bullied for being Irish, here it was for being English. Clayton sounds like someone with a hybrid accent to me, with the English component being stronger. Sean Moncrieff, if you listen carefully has a hybrid accent but in his case Irish is more dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Was in the shops the other day here in Australia and an Irish mother talking away to her young children and they jabbering away with an aussie accent. Was weird af.

• Advertisement

Was in the shops the other day here in Australia and an Irish mother talking away to her young children and they jabbering away with an aussie accent. Was weird af.
    Australia born kids in Aussie accent shocker! Struthe!

Apparently if you are musical/have a musical ear, you pick accents up quicker.

Nah, I'm a drummer, played drums since I was six and I still don't have an Irish accent after living here since I was six.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Australia born kids in Aussie accent shocker! Struthe!

Oh that was it. I was wondering how it happened........

Nah, I'm a drummer, played drums since I was six and I still don't have an Irish accent after living here since I was six.

The Irish accent in general is a fairly neutral accent so it dosent really catch on except the Cork one you go down there for a week and you nearly come back with the accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

That's quite unusual though.

The vast majority of people who move here before the age of 12 lose their accents, in most cases entirely.

I moved here at 14, so probably a little too late, hence no change. Had I moved here even a couple of years earlier it would've been a different story probably.

Declan Ganley moved to Galway at 13, but then moved back to Watford at 17/18, hence why he doesn't have an Irish accent.

I was 8 and still have a predominantly English Midlands accent.

That's quite unusual though.

The vast majority of people who move here before the age of 12 lose their accents, in most cases entirely.

I moved here at 14, so probably a little too late, hence no change. Had I moved here even a couple of years earlier it would've been a different story probably.

Declan Ganley moved to Galway at 13, but then moved back to Watford at 17/18, hence why he doesn't have an Irish accent.

An ex-colleague of mine moved here at a similar age to me and she still has a 100% solid north London accent. Not a hint of Irish in hers. Her parents were Irish, so I don't think that's a factor either. Didn't know about the age thing you mention above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The Irish accent in general is a fairly neutral accent so it dosent really catch on except the Cork one you go down there for a week and you nearly come back with the accent

Yeah I live here but not from here and you do have to be aware or it'll sneak in.

It's led to some pretty hilarious and charming hybrids though. The PolishxCork accent is very noticeable, and I love all the young African fellas going around with this mad mix of big deep bass voice and a real upward lilting Cark bai accent.

It's led to some pretty hilarious and charming hybrids though. The PolishxCork accent is very noticeable, and I love all the young African fellas going around with this mad mix of big deep bass voice and a real upward lilting Cark bai accent.

Knew a dutch girl who lived in Cork for years. Her accent was something else. Half Cork, half Dutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ah he meant real musicians - Drummers dont count , you should know that :D

Advertisement