Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people with English accents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

" Accents seem to remain relatively malleable until a person's early twenties, after which a person's accent seems to become more entrenched." Wiki

Should we employ hundreds of Geordie kindergarten teachers to create the material for an RTE Gerodie Shore in the 2030s?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I am reminded of when Silvain Wiltord joined Arsenal and upon being asked what he was looking for from English football replied "a pe-nis", or at least that's what it sounded like to the English journalists in the room.

To his French manager ( who actually clarified his statement) it came out as "Happiness".

Sounds awfully like that old chestnut involving Charles De Gaulle's missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

farmchoice wrote: »
    there are also generational accents, people in their 30's and 40's have a distinct accent from those in their 50's ad 60's and same again for people older than that.

Varied amount of exposure to media:

Old folks grew up with some radio.

Middle-agers had kids TV between 4 and 5.30. Half or more of that content was Irish-made.

Millennials as kids would have had day long exposure to U.S. and UK content.

Not surprising geog differences are being slowly wiped out with younger folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

topper75 wrote: »
    Varied amount of exposure to media:

Old folks grew up with some radio.

Middle-agers had kids TV between 4 and 5.30. Half or more of that content was Irish-made.

Millennials as kids would have had day long exposure to U.S. and UK content.

Not surprising geog differences are being slowly wiped out with younger folk.

i purposely didn't mention younger people as most teens and a lot of people in there 20's now speak with something approaching a Californian accent.

but you know i think they lose it again and revert as they get older. its a self confidence thing, when you're younger you ape what you you think is cool as you get older you realize you are starting to sound like a prick.

as you get older and have kids and become more community rooted the essence of that community seeps back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I am reminded of when Silvain Wiltord joined Arsenal and upon being asked what he was looking for from English football replied "a pe-nis", or at least that's what it sounded like to the English journalists in the room.

Gone are the days when footballers had proper men's names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Accents and dialect are fascinating, was at a heritage week event at the weekend and the person hosting the event has a really perfect Anglo Irish accent or dialect they sounded exactly like Shane Ross despite being in their mid twenties. It is an Irish dialect not some sort of English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

i purposely didn't mention younger people as most teens and a lot of people in there 20's now speak with something approaching a Californian accent.

Here's a story from a few years back on the view that the main drivers of change in languages are teenage girls.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/teen-slang-young-women-dr_n_1331724.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

bobbyss wrote: »
    Shane Ross:He must have lived in England for a long time?
    David Norris: Ditto?
    Declan Ganly:Ditto?
    There is a horse racing chap who does the racing, a Robert somebody?
    Robert Hall. For years, I was convinced he was a relation of the now-disgraced BBC sports broadcaster/It's a Knockout host, Stuart Hall. Similar voices, same name, share a resemblance. But no, Robert Hall IIRC is Kildare born and bred.

There's enough of an Irish lilt left in Chris de Burgh for Brits to notice.

murpho999 wrote: »
    TV in the 70s and 80s was full of American TV too.

70s:Mash, Starsky and Hutch, Brady Bunch, The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Streets of San Francisco, Six Million Dollar Man, The Odd Couple, Mary Tyler Moore Show. Charlies Angels, Happy Days, Hawaii Five-0,

80s: Chips, A Team, Dukes of Hazard, Cheers, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice, Alf , The Cosby Show, Cagney & Lacey, Dallas, Different Strokes, Family Matters

These are just programmes I can think of off the top of my head that were on Irish and UK TV an awful lot and were hugely popular.
    The Muppets technically were a British show, as Henson couldn't get any US network on board, and had to go to England to get Lew Grade for ATV/ITV to do it.
    panda100 wrote: »
    I get that all the time. I was born and raised by Irish parents in London and moved back here when I was 15. I still have a very strong English accent despite being here 20 years now. My brother was 18 when he moved over and picked up the irish accent very quickly.
    I had a teacher in school. She was Midlands or Kildare, but raised in English boarding school, but she had an accent that some people thought was Australian, but I presumed was West Country or Brummie.
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Most of the hippie crowd down in West Cork have English accents. A parent/both parents would have been English but these people have lived in Ireland their whole lives and have proper English accents. It's a bit weird.

I was born in England and lived there for a few years. Had an English accent till I was about 11 but started putting on an Irish accent till it became my accent. Having an English accent in school in Kerry is bullying material!
    I went to a Protestant primary school in Dublin, and a fair few of my classmates had British parents, and hybrid accents, like I eventually ended up with, despite my mum being a Dub and my dad a Brayman. My own accent is quite English, a. having a few British teachers, b. watching a lot of UK film and TV, c. this.
    pauliebdub wrote: »
    It seems to be fairly common with some Church of Ireland people who go to CoI schools and only mix with people who are very similar to themselves who tend to have English or very neutral mid Atlantic accents.
    Yes, a lot of people in my primary school were this. Including myself, although my accent is slightly more Northern English, for some reason.
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    I had the same problem as I grew up in Bray but not being 'proper' Irish couldn't say it. biggrin.png
    Ditto, must be a Bray thing.
    It is strange how you can hold onto an accent after such little exposure to it after all those years. The whole idea of acquisition and retention of language is strange.
    Forget to mention Kenneth brannagh. I know little about him other than he was born in Ulster and then moved on to England although after how many years I don't know. I saw him on telly in the Billy trilogy as a young fella with a strong Norn Iron accent and couldn't believe what it developed into or how. I assume in England he was surrounded by people who spoke similarly. I libe English dialects: Liverpool, Newcastle and so on. I think they are great. Graham Norton would be known as someone with an Irish accent but heavily impregnated by a posh English twang.
    I suppose it has to do with the wiring in your brain and exposure.
    Branagh deliberately changed his accent to avoid bullying, and drama school helped too. See also, Edward Mulhare, born and raised in Cork (although IIRC he came from middle-class roots). but spoke in a RP accent, played mostly Brits, Devon in Knight Rider, became a sort of Aldi Rex Harrison. Seen him in interviews. And the accent he used on TV was his real accent. He did begin his career in UK, in ITC shows, though.
    What's strange is that adults also are influenced by this American influence. Listen to Miriam O' Callaghan with her upward intonation. Even more remarkable is the odd culchie TD has this. Xpose's presenters, no spring chickens, go around talking as if they were fourteen year old girls from USA.
    TBH, with the culchie TDs, they probably wanted to be country singers before entering politics. A lot of the Xpose sorts have worked in Canada and in the US beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

The Muppets technically were a British show, as Henson couldn't get any US network on board, and had to go to England to get Lew Grade for ATV/ITV to do it.

I had a teacher in school. She was Midlands or Kildare, but raised in English boarding school, but she had an accent that some people thought was Australian, but I presumed was West Country or Brummie.

I went to a Protestant primary school in Dublin, and a fair few of my classmates had British parents, and hybrid accents, like I eventually ended up with, despite my mum being a Dub and my dad a Brayman. My own accent is quite English, a. having a few British teachers, b. watching a lot of UK film and TV, c. this.

Yes, a lot of people in my primary school were this. Including myself, although my accent is slightly more Northern English, for some reason.

Ditto, must be a Bray thing.

Branagh deliberately changed his accent to avoid bullying, and drama school helped too. See also, Edward Mulhare, born and raised in Cork (although IIRC he came from middle-class roots). but spoke in a RP accent, played mostly Brits, Devon in Knight Rider, became a sort of Aldi Rex Harrison. Seen him in interviews. And the accent he used on TV was his real accent. He did begin his career in UK, in ITC shows, though.

TBH, with the culchie TDs, they probably wanted to be country singers before entering politics. A lot of the Xpose sorts have worked in Canada and in the US beforehand.
    i'm afraid its nothing as exotic as that, they put it on. just as Miriam o callaghan puts on the up talk, and you dont have to be on the telly either.

a mate of mine started doing it a few years ago in his mid thirties, as you can imagine he's a gob****e.

we all have friends or have head the stories of people going off to the US for the summer and coming back with broadd American accents, and in fairness its forgivable in young people its just a bit of affectation.

i had a mate once who went to college in letterkenny, he came back 10 days (10 day!!! i swear to god) later with a thick donegal accent!!!!
    he had knocked it on the head by the following weekend.

when adults do it and do it because they think in some way it makes them sound better or more sophisticated or more educated or cooler i find it incredibly irksome.

i always thought that someone in RTE should have had a word with Miriam o callaghan about it. putting on an accent in your 50's whilst a national broadcaster is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

myshirt wrote: »
    Trace the bloodline. Check the milkman.
    Pat Mustard

[/B]i'm afraid its nothing as exotic as that, they put it on. just as Miriam o callaghan puts on the up talk, and you dont have to be on the telly either.

a mate of mine started doing it a few years ago in his mid thirties, as you can imagine he's a gob****e.

we all have friends or have head the stories of people going off to the US for the summer and coming back with broadd American accents, and in fairness its forgivable in young people its just a bit of affectation.

i had a mate once who went to college in letterkenny, he came back 10 days (10 day!!! i swear to god) later with a thick donegal accent!!!!
    he had knocked it on the head by the following weekend.

when adults do it and do it because they think in some way it makes them sound better or more sophisticated or more educated or cooler i find it incredibly irksome.

i always thought that someone in RTE should have had a word with Miriam o callaghan about it. putting on an accent in your 50's whilst a national broadcaster is pathetic.
    Hughie Green worked for ITV for twenty years, despite having an accent shaped by a failed Hollywood career and work in Canada. Yet still saw himself as completely British, on an obsessive almost Unionist level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64z16Vd69Vs

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Michael D., when he is visiting England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Creol1 wrote: »

Michael D has a lovely accent but he has what a lot of academics who worked before the era of technology have, which is putting a lot of effort in to being very clear and precise and enunciating their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Creol1 wrote: »

I don't think that anyone could accuse Michael D of having anything remotely like a British accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There's no homogenous British accent anyway. Even in Hampshire there's variations on accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

English accents vary from place to place, and from region to region, same with Scottish accents, of which there are many, same with Irish accents too! Some Scottish people even have English accents & some English people have Welsh accents, some English people have Irish accents, and recently I even heard about an Irish person with an American accent!
    What's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I don't think that anyone could accuse Michael D of having anything remotely like a British accent.

Well whatever kind of accent it is it sure ain't from the Limerick/Clare/Galway region where he spent his early years.

A very 'flowery' accent I would describe it as,delivered in a very theatrical way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

LordSutch wrote: »
    English accents vary from place to place, and from region to region, same with Scottish accents, of which there are many, same with Irish accents too! Some Scottish people even have English accents & some English people have Welsh accents, some English people have Irish accents, and recently I even heard about an Irish person with an American accent!
    What's that all about?

The first few seconds of this illustrate your point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

farmchoice wrote:

Yeah it's sad really. And what's worrying is that she's nearing the 60s I think. Time for a bit of cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

George from Glenroe is another one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

George from Glenroe is another one.

Alan Stanford is English, he only moved to Ireland in his early twenties.

Tracy Piggott is another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It sounds like a speech impediment to us, but actually is an extreme version of an accent feature. Ross is perfectly capable of forming the 'r' sound with his tongue placed on the ridge behind the top teeth, as you and I and all nearly Irish people do, but in fact he forms it by bringing his lower lip close to his top teeth, which is standard in Estuary English, which is his native dialect, and in quite a number of other dialects. This produces a much looser sound, and in his case it's particularly exaggerated, so it sounds to us like a 'w' sound. But in fact there's a sharp distinction between Ross's true 'w' sound - the sound he would use in a word like "woman", for example, - and the sound he makes when pronouncing his own name.

Regarding London, while in education are they deliberately taught to pronounce "bath" as "bof" or ever corrected over it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

LordSutch wrote: »
    Tracy Piggott is another one.

Like Alan Stanford born in England and moved to Ireland in her twenties. Saying that you'd think she might pick up some trace of an Irish accent at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

dense wrote: »
    Regarding London, while in education are they deliberately taught to pronounce "bath" as "bof" or ever corrected over it?
    The long 'a' in "bath", "castle", "Shaftesbury Avenue", etc is standard in most variants of English spoke in the south-east of England; nobody will be "corrected" for it because it's not regarded as incorrect.

What you hear as an 'f' sound at the end of "bath" is called "th-fronting". It occurs in a number of English variants; not just in London but also in Bristol and, slightly surprisingly, in Yorkshire, in Newfoundland, in Hong Kong and among a lot of African-American speakers.

It used to be regarded as characteristic of working-class speech (at least, in the South of England) and, as such, was often corrected (or attempted to be corrected) by teachers. But in fact it's making its way up the social scale; it's increasingly common in middle-class speech in the South of England, and so is no longer as deprecated as it once was. So, no, it's probably not much corrected these days.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Like Alan Stanford born in England and moved to Ireland in her twenties. Saying that you'd think she might pick up some trace of an Irish accent at this stage.

Accents are funny things, I worked with a man in London who had moved to England thirty years earlier, yet he had no trace of an English accent, although his Kerry accent persisted!
    I also knew a girl in her 20s who had also moved to England and had developed a south London twang within five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Gone are the days when footballers had proper men's names.

Like Roy Race and Blackie Gray from Melchester Rovers

Real men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Like Roy Race and Blackie Gray from Melchester Rovers

Real men

Roy certainly was a wonderful striker who gave 110% every time he donned the famous red and yellow shirt!
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Shane Ross:He must have lived in England for a long time?
    David Norris: Ditto?
    Declan Ganly:Ditto?
    There is a horse racing chap who does the racing, a Robert somebody?
    Charles Mitchell:ex RTE newsreader had a touch of one I believe.
    Martin Manserg;Former senator.
    Brian Farrell RTE
    Chris de Burgh
    Brian O'Connell: Former RTE London correspondent.

Anyone else?

How long do you have to live in England to acquire and retain the accent I wonder?
    Robert Hall

Advertisement