Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The judges are at it again - Compo claims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Judiciary in the country don't give a fuck, why would they? What can we do about it? Nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Another family on the scum list. Is there a public record kept of these leeches?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

neris wrote: »
    30K for a broken nose with no long term damage for a kid. The judge approved the offered but didnt think for a sec, hang on lads 30k is an awful lot im not approving this make it smaller

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/girl-3-whose-nose-was-broken-when-table-blew-over-outside-restaurant-awarded-30k-damages-37975158.html

OBriens made the offer and the injured party accepted it, it wasn’t really up to the judge to tell the business that they had offered too much.
    Mr Daly, who appeared with Spelman Callaghan Solicitors for Lily, said he was recommending the court accept the settlement offer on the part of Adleo Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

30K for a broken nose with no long term damage for a kid. The judge approved the offered but didnt think for a sec, hang on lads 30k is an awful lot im not approving this make it smaller

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/girl-3-whose-nose-was-broken-when-table-blew-over-outside-restaurant-awarded-30k-damages-37975158.html

The judge approved the settlement they had reached. That's not the same as awarding damages. Real problem is how defendants so readily strike such deals and then we have the lawyers ... There is clearly fault with the restaurant but to this value?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Did anybody even read the article? A three year old child was hit in the face with a table with sufficient force to break her nose. That's a massive degree of negligence from the restaurant owner. The award is perfectly reasonable and anybody with any responsibility should probably be glad they weren't charged.

• Advertisement

Plopsu wrote: »
    Did anybody even read the article? A three year old child was hit in the face with a table with sufficient force to break her nose. That's a massive degree of negligence from the restaurant owner. The award is perfectly reasonable and anybody with any responsibility should probably be glad they weren't charged.

No it wasn't. Table blew in wind, no permanent damage. **** happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Full recovery made, no lasting damage. What exactly is the €30k for?

Yeah, their table which they were responsible for securing (or, more likely in high winds, bringing in). You do know what the word responsible means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

This lends itself to that old saying
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It was a settlement offer. Not a judgment of the Court.

The table hit the child hard enough to break her nose. It should have been anchored. We also must consider that for a child, such an incident may cause mental distress.

That been said 30k is too high.

A bill to limit the payouts on insurance premiums passed the second stage of the Seanad today if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

Yeah, their table which they were responsible for securing (or, more likely in high winds, bringing in). You do know what the word responsible means?
    Not much dispute on the blame but some people prefer the word greedy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

keano_afc wrote: »

A few holidays for the parents, upgrade the corolla, tracksuits and wide screen TV..

It won't take long for this money to go back into the system,and around and around it goes.

A lot of people are in high places in the judicial system, have son's daughters father's and uncles who are barristers and solicitors.

I heard there's people coming out of law school and working for shoite money in what you could only describe as a fancy call center...

An absolute money making machine.

There's probably ten times more solicitors now than there was 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah, classic negligence. Not like someone falling over of their own accord is it?

Plus the judge had nothing to do with this.

Elemonator wrote: »
    It was a settlement offer. Not a judgment of the Court.

The table hit the child hard enough to break her nose. It should have been anchored. We also must consider that for a child, such an incident may cause mental distress.

That been said 30k is too high.

A bill to limit the payouts on insurance premiums passed the second stage of the Seanad today if anyone is interested.

It does need to be addressed. One can accept medical awards even if they are sometimes on the high side but it does have a trickle-down effect on everything else.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Yeah, classic negligence. Not like someone falling over of their own accord is it?

Plus the judge had nothing to do with this.

I mentioned the judge? Try again bub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I mentioned the judge? Try again bub.

That was for the benefit of OP etc, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Elemonator wrote: »

Any links to this or more information on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The judge approved the offered but didnt think for a sec, hang on lads 30k is an awful lot im not approving this make it smaller

Does he have the power to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Any links to this or more information on it??
    Only this so far, apologies I don't have a more informative source

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bill-to-cap-insurance-payouts-for-personal-injury-claims-passes-second-stage-in-seanad-37975110.html

keano_afc wrote:

So, if someone broke your nose, you'd be okay with them not being sanctioned because it healed?

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote:

So, if someone broke your nose, you'd be okay with them not being sanctioned because it healed?

is_that_so wrote:
    Not much dispute on the blame but some people prefer the word greedy here.

I'd say the company got away pretty lightly. It's not greedy to demand compensation for your child being injured through somebody else's negligence. The child did nothing wrong and neither did the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tacklebox wrote: »
    A few holidays for the parents, upgrade the corolla, tracksuits and wide screen TV..

It won't take long for this money to go back into the system,and around and around it goes.

A lot of people are in high places in the judicial system, have son's daughters father's and uncles who are barristers and solicitors.

I heard there's people coming out of law school and working for shoite money in what you could only describe as a fancy call center...

An absolute money making machine.

There's probably ten times more solicitors now than there was 30 years ago.

The money will be held by the court in trust for the kid until they are 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus Christ - people are far too quick to be outraged.

I have a 3 year old daughter and if an unsecured table hit her in the face and broke her nose I'd be fit to kill over it.

30 grand? They got away lightly if you ask me.

Who in the name of god thinks it's an acceptable standard of care, for a restaurant to allow their furniture become airborne ffs! It could have killed that child!

Tacklebox wrote:

Do you know the parents? I could be wrong but I don't recall any mention of their social status in the article. Your insinuations are pretty despicable (though not quite as bad as the poster who called them scum).
    I doubt they'll just be handed a cheque. The money will likely be held until the girl's 18. If they need to draw on the funds before then, they'll have to petition the solicitors holding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I'm not feeling the outrage on this one, sorry

There has been some ridiculous awards but I don't think this is one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ye know whats great for a broken nose?

30 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ye know whats great for a broken nose?

30 grand.

Could leave you mutilated for life, kids bodies are fragile, 30 k is modest

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Could leave you mutilated for life, kids bodies are fragile, 30 k is modest

Could, but didn't. Fully recovered it said.

Everything 'could' do something, so someone give me 30 grand quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

30 G's for a broken schnoz... Son, it's time to take one for the team!!

Advertisement