Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The judges are at it again - Compo claims

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Another family on the scum list. Is there a public record kept of these leeches?

I went looking to see if the family had previous going by your quote.

Scum list? This is one of the least problematic compensation claims in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »
    The UK is just a reference point but a relevant one given that many operators are in the market there as well.

A good place to start is with how much lawyers get in court and with how much freedom judges and juries have to make up awards. People can still reject PIAB settlements to have day in court but then the overall value is almost guaranteed to go up.

Here's one example of the lunacy we allow.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-who-received-10-million-14070499

As the story says it was considered fair and just compensation.

This is instructive on the Court of Appeal especially the comment about modest injuries. Noteworthy too they are not always reduced.

https://www.homs.ie/publications/court-appeal-personal-injury-awards/

None of that addresses my quite simple question though.

Which is.
    Boggles wrote: »
    I see this headline stat a lot without much detail.

One pertinent question would be, are insurance premiums over 4 times cheaper in the UK?

I imagine if you went trawling UK court reports you would see some bonkers headlines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

None of that addresses my quite simple question though.

Which is.
    Google is your friend on this if you're so inclined. I'm less interested in that than in how ours are formulated. IMO some are excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tacklebox wrote: »
    A few holidays for the parents, upgrade the corolla, tracksuits and wide screen TV..

It won't take long for this money to go back into the system,and around and around it goes.
    The money will be held in trust for her until she turns 18. Her parents will be permitted to apply for release of a small amount of the funds, but only with a specified purpose and to be spent on her.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant though.

€30k is fvcking ridiculous for this though. No wonder insurance premiums are so high. The business was negligent and the child suffered a slightly traumatic event. But €30k? Madness.

Google is your friend on this if you're so inclined. I'm less interested in that than in how ours are formulated. IMO some are excessive.

So you want me to do your research?

You brought the headline stat into it, so you must be someway interested.

I asked probably the most obvious simplistic question relating to it, one might expect a simplistic answer.

But no.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    €30k is fvcking ridiculous for this though. No wonder insurance premiums are so high. The business was negligent and the child suffered a slightly traumatic event. But €30k? Madness.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous, it would be generous IMO.

But by the time all expenses are taken out of it, etc. It would probably will end up being the right amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BBFAN wrote: »
    There are so many cases where the payout was extortionate and the claim obviously spurious, why on earth would you choose this one???

30k is **** all.

I was knocked down when I was 15 crossing a road and the total payout was 5k, 2300 to me and 2700 to the solicitor and that was mainly because the surgeon said the scar on my knee would heal in two years, I still have that scar, so things work both ways.

Was that a criminal or civil case?

I have a scar on the back of the head where some scumbag hit me with a heineken bottle. I was given 1k in the criminal case. I never brought a civil case against him. If I had I expect i would have gotten more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

imme wrote: »
    Which came first the call to the lawyer or the call for the ambulance.

I'd imagine the call to the ambulance. What you're suggesting is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But by the time all expenses are taken out of it, etc. It would probably will end up being the right amount.
    What expenses?
    Solicitors fees are paid separately, they're not included in the award. Medical costs will have been mostly covered by the State. Even those that aren't, won't be anywhere near €30k. This isn't the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So you want me to do your research?

You brought the headline stat into it, so you must be someway interested.

I asked probably the most obvious simplistic question relating to it, one might expect a simplistic answer.

But no.
    It's a stat on award payments not premiums. Half the cost on car premiums on cars. As I've said I'm more interested in how we arrive at our awards.

Link here to that claim BTW and The Personal Injuries Commission Report.

https://www.thejournal.ie/personal-injury-payouts-4242572-Sep2018/

• Advertisement

What expenses?
    Solicitors fees are paid separately, they're not included in the award.

They still have to paid don't they?
    Medical costs will have been mostly covered by the State.

You'd be surprised how much medical costs for a child can be if the Hospital charges and the insurance company refuses to pay.

Also I imagine people had to take time off work, further expenses, etc.

Now it would not be 30 grand but all that considered would take a chunk out of it.

At the end of the day though, if the insurance premium of the business goes up, it's ultimately their own fault for negligence.

A toddler got her face smashed in that required a general anesthetic and a stay in hospital to fix.

That is traumatic for all concerned.

I just don't see the outrage in this one.

It's a stat on award payments not premiums. Half the cost on car premiums on cars. As I've said I'm more interested in how we arrive at our awards.

Link here to that claim BTW and The Personal Injuries Commission Report.

https://www.thejournal.ie/personal-injury-payouts-4242572-Sep2018/

I am not doubting the reported level of injury compensation, I will point out though the UK have universal free health care.

I am simply asking about the cost of insurance.

Is insurance 4.4 times higher than the UK?

And if not, why not?

From what I can see car insurance seems to be on a par between the 2 countries, if Ireland not being slightly cheaper.

How is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Actually, she was walking along with her grandmother, they came around the corner and the table was lifted and smashed into her and breaking her nose. She cried so much that she held her breath and passed out. Granny thought she was dead.
    They went by ambulance to hospital and confirmed the nose was broken and she went in the next week to have her nose reset.

She had black eyes and a bleeding nose for the following week. 3 years of age. 3

Since then she has had nightmares and awful screaming episodes and she will be having some intervention in the coming years. She also has to have further surgery to have her adenoids and tonsils removed, it may not be related but thats whats happening.

Not scum. dad works full-time, mam works part-time. Not scum.

Also, she will not receive a penny until she is 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Carter12 wrote: »
    Actually, she was walking along with her grandmother, they came around the corner and the table was lifted and smashed into her and breaking her nose. She cried so much that she held her breath and passed out. Granny thought she was dead.
    They went by ambulance to hospital and confirmed the nose was broken and she went in the next week to have her nose reset.

She had black eyes and a bleeding nose for the following week. 3 years of age. 3

Since then she has had nightmares and awful screaming episodes and she will be having some intervention in the coming years. She also has to have further surgery to have her adenoids and tonsils removed, it may not be related but thats whats happening.

Sorry what age was she? I missed it in your post. missed it. It.

How much aphid the award be for permanent damage?
    How much for death?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sorry what age was she? I missed it in your post. missed it. It.

How much aphid the award be for permanent damage?
    How much for death?

Try google that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The bitterness from some people on this thread is amazing. All towards an innocent kid who got her nose smashed in and had to have surgery. General anaesthetic is no small matter.

I think it’s easy to read back over the comments here and see what the real scum list is. A good long list of bitterness, venom and bias AH style.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

The case in the OP and this one couldn’t be more different. I would say “I hope that’s clear” but hoping for sense on this forum is like hoping for sense from the DUP.

Carter12 wrote: »

Would you go away with your facts and reasonable statements. They are getting in the way of the bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

€80k for getting injured while illegally trespassing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bio Mech wrote: »
    The case in the OP and this one couldn’t be more different. I would say “I hope that’s clear” but hoping for sense on this forum is like hoping for sense from the DUP.
    Eh , no need to be snarky with me as
    I agree , yet the kid gets 80k for a scratch he got climbing where he shouldn't have
    And the child who had her nose broken get 30k .
    The first instance is far too high in my opinion

Eh , no need to be snarky with me as
    I agree , yet the kid gets 80k for a scratch he got climbing where he shouldn't have
    And the child who had her nose broken get 30k .
    The first instance is far too high in my opinion

It wasn’t really directed at you. Though you did say “another” which suggested you felt it was in the same league as the OP.

Snark retracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The bitterness from some people on this thread is amazing. All towards an innocent kid who got her nose smashed in and had to have surgery. General anaesthetic is no small matter.

I think it’s easy to read back over the comments here and see what the real scum list is. A good long list of bitterness, venom and bias AH style.

Agreed

I have said it before on these overrun threads on "compo payouts" that each one of the bitter and envious ***** giving out would be straight down to a solicitor if they themselves were injured.

Would you go away with your facts and reasonable statements. They are getting in the way of the bile.

Ha, you're dead right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Grayson wrote: »
    Was that a criminal or civil case?

I have a scar on the back of the head where some scumbag hit me with a heineken bottle. I was given 1k in the criminal case. I never brought a civil case against him. If I had I expect i would have gotten more.

Civil case.

Advertisement