Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bejaysus, that's a nifty trick with the tiles!!

I'll be filing that in the back of my mind for future reference!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Missed it, it's repeated at 1.05pm on Saturday afternoon on ITV1.

I think it will also be on virgin on the 4th of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Great to see Fergal, pity it was so short. Surely an opportunity for some enterprising filmmaker to do something deserving of the inspiration and spirit you have shown and thankfully shared here with us. Thanks again for bringing us all on your journey and for keeping this little corner of boards such a friendly and helpful place. Now get back out and find 'Olds Cool' and restore her !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

welder wrote: »
    Great to see Fergal, pity it was so short. Surely an opportunity for some enterprising filmmaker to do something deserving of the inspiration and spirit you have shown and thankfully shared here with us. Thanks again for bringing us all on your journey and for keeping this little corner of boards such a friendly and helpful place. Now get back out and find 'Olds Cool' and restore her !

Two days filming for about two min's of tv :) Going over sonar charts today my eyes are like this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Well done Fergal, looks brilliant in the video!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Missed it on the telly so thanks for sharing. A pity it wasn't longer but very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Gerard93

Well done Fergal read the whole thread last night what a read !!! Thanks for sharing your gifted fair play to you !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Repeat just started on UTV/ITV for anyone that wants to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

Hi Fergal,

Congratulations, fantastic renovation and conversion i.e. I'm really impressed at how modern you it now looks.

I have a boat where the engine (Perkins 4107) was submerged.

Do you have any information about what was done to get the engine going again?

Thanks

Adrian

AdrianLM wrote: »
    Hi Fergal,

Congratulations, fantastic renovation and conversion i.e. I'm really impressed at how modern you it now looks.

I have a boat where the engine (Perkins 4107) was submerged.

Do you have any information about what was done to get the engine going again?

Thanks

Adrian

It can depend on a few things, was the engine running when it was submerged, how long has it been out of the water " it's best to get it running as soon as you take it out of the water" if it was salt water you could be in trouble. Take out your injectors and fill the chambers with diesel, remove the sump and clean, clean out the fuel tank add new fuel and pump it through new filters and water separator till it comes out the injectors, you can run some old engine oil through the a few times changing the filters each time and before you run clean oil. Get the engine running hot as soon as possible and spray all electric with compressed air and then WD40. I'm sure there is more but that should save the engine. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

Thanks Fergal, the engine wasnt running and it was fresh water. The boat is in a boat yard a few miles from home. Thinking of taking the engine out and bringing it home to work on it over the winter in the garage.

The vinyl wrap is a great idea that you used, where did you get it from and what type was it. There seems to be two types, architectural and automotive. Thanks again.

AdrianLM wrote: »
    Thanks Fergal, the engine wasnt running and it was fresh water. The boat is in a boat yard a few miles from home. Thinking of taking the engine out and bringing it home to work on it over the winter in the garage.

The vinyl wrap is a great idea that you used, where did you get it from and what type was it. There seems to be two types, architectural and automotive. Thanks again.

Get working on it as soon as you can the longer you leave it the more chance the rust has of building up, you will also have to change the oil in the gearbox and grease up your steering cable, gear shift cable and throttle cable.
    I used automotive vinyl some from a local car wrapping shop in Swords and some from ebay.

I'll post this here and then close this post after a while as Im sure the search for Old's Cool will be on going, thank you all for the best wishes and PM's https://rip.ie/death-notice/kyle-butler-balrothery-dublin/383710

21016102_1394304090646983_4541793601689113330_o_zpsxbmieith.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aw Fergal, I'm so sorry to read this. That young fella will have had amazing experiences the last few years, a testament to your hard work and incredible genius with boats.

RIP, and deepest sympathies to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

So sorry for your loss Fergal, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

So sorry for your and your families loss Fergal.

Kyle sounded like a lovely lad, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Very sorry to hear this Fergal.
    My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah noooo.... I'm so, so sorry Fergal, my sincere condolences to you and your whole family. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

For a guy I have never met or spoken to, I am genuinely gutted for you. I am so sorry for your loss.

Im incredibly saddened to read of your loss. From the writing and pictures of this thread alone it is very apparent that you were indeed a fantastic father to your son.

May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So sorry to hear this Fergal,

My deepest sympathies to you and your Family.

RIP Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Rip Kyle.

So sad to read that, wish you and all your family all the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Really sad news, am so sorry for your loss Fergal. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I can't really add more than has already been said, but I wanted to add my voice to it anyway. So sorry for your loss Fergal, my condolences to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

So sorry to hear this. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

I'm so sorry for your loss, Fergal. May Kyle rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fergal, I was shocked to hear about Kyle last night. My deepest sympathies to you & L. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

So sorry for your loss Fergal, Rest in peace Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Very sorry to read this :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I'm genuinely saddened and sorry for your loss. I'm sure there are many like me who have been following all your posts for years and feel like I know you very well even though we've never spoke or barely interacted. The effort you put it just to make a create a piece of enjoyment for someone wheelchair bound shows what a great parent you are.

Advertisement