Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Sweet chili beef. A popular dish and easy to make. Even at home.

This is how you do it.

Cut your beef into thin strips.
    Marinde in dark soy, sesame oil, salt, a little baking soda. For 1kg beef use 1 Tsp soda. You do the maths depending on the weight of the beef.

After 30 minutes we pre-cook the beef in an egg, potato starch batter. Simply dip the beef in egg then potato starch. Making sure the coating is thick enough. Use a tooth pick, not fingers to do the dipping.

Deep fry until nearly cooked.

Veg. Use thin strips of carrot. Thin long cut onions and spring onion diagonal cuts. *These go in last*

Sauce. You have options. Buy a ready made sweet chili sauce from a Chinese supermarket or use sweet and sour sauce and sweeten it up by adding sugar. Add some chili flakes to get the slight spiciness.

Cook it.

Add oil to a very hot wok. Add carrot and onion. Dash of cooking wine. Add the sauce of your choice then add the pre-cooked meat in batter and flip it really well. Combining the contents of the wok then thicken the sauce with potato starch/water. Flame off, add the spring onion greens and finish with a drizzle of sesame oil over it and combine.

*Add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds on top to give a very nice look to your meal.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

RJohnG wrote: »
    No 2 Chinese shops are the same. Always slight differences in taste and style.
    Jimmy's satay is a concentrate. You can use as much or as little as you want.
    If you like it spicy use a 1/1 ratio Jimmy's and smooth peanut butter.
    If you like it mild use a 1/3 ratio Jimmy's and smooth peanut butter. Also use chicken stock, salt, and thicken with potato starch, water at the end.

This is main course, not meat skewers. The one I posted is the peanut dipping sauce. But like I say, some Chinese make spicy satay sauce, others don't. same as your curry sauce. Some make a light fruity sauce, others make a spicy one.
    Different places. But you can easily recreate their sauce by adjusting the above quantities.

Thanks. I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Not exactly a dish but I'd love to be able to do Chinese style fried noodles. When I try I never manage to get it quite right. Noodles I have bought in the shop have been too thick and often stick to the pan. (Decent pan, most things are ok on it)

Is it just soy sauce added for flavour? At what stage of cooking? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Weird, I was just thinking about cooking some fried noodles for dinner today :D!

Anyway, I've used this recipe a load of times, it produces really authentic tasting stir-fried noodles:

http://thewoksoflife.com/2013/12/cantonese-soy-sauce-pan-fried-noodles/

I usually use the dried egg noodles lidl have, they are fairly thin and hold together well during the stir-frying process. It is important to get a really high heat going under your wok though; I have a giant gas ring on mine which helps get the classic flavour going.

Edit: posting actual recipe for peeps on mobile phones :)
    wrote:
    CANTONESE SOY SAUCE PAN-FRIED NOODLES

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: Serves 2

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
    2 scallions
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
    ½ teaspoon sesame oil
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon sugar
    ½ tablespoon shaoxing wine
    ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    8 ozs fresh thin Hong Kong Style Egg Noodles (for pan-frying, not to be mistaken for “wonton noodles”) or 3 small bundles of dried Hong Kong Style Egg Noodles for pan-frying
    3 tablespoons oil

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Rinse the bean sprouts in cold water and drain. Julienne the scallions. Mix the soy sauces, sesame oil, salt, sugar, wine and white pepper into a small bowl and set aside.

Boil the noodles. Fresh noodles should be boiled for about 1 minute. For dried noodles, boil for 2-3 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain very well.

Heat the wok to high and add a tablespoon of oil to coat the wok. Spread the noodles in a thin, even layer on the wok and tilt the wok in a circular motion to distribute the oil and crisp the bottom layer of the noodles evenly. It should take about 3-5 minutes for the first side.

Flip the noodles over and add another tablespoon of oil around the perimeter of the wok and let the other side crisp up. Don’t stress if you can’t turn the noodles over in one shot, The goal here is just to get an even, light crispiness and to dry out the noodles during this cooking stage. In our pictures for this post, we used a large non-stick pan, which also works nicely. Set aside these noodles on a plate.

Heat the wok over high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and all of the white parts of the scallion to the pan and cook for about 15 seconds. Next, add the noodles to the wok and toss them well, breaking up the noodles so they’re not all in one big clump. Add the soy sauce mixture and toss continuously (don’t stop!) for a couple minutes using a pair of chopsticks or a set of tongs. Keep the heat on high.

After the noodles are uniformly golden brown, add the bean sprouts and toss. Add the rest of the scallions and toss the mixture again for another 1 to 2 minutes until you see the bean sprouts just starting to turn transparent. You want the sprouts to be cooked but still crunchy. Be careful not to overcook them or they will become limp and soggy. High heat is a key requirement for this dish.

Plate and serve!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Why yes I would love to join you for fried noodles!

Thanks for that. How important is the wok? I usually stir fry in a flat pan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Whispered wrote: »
    Why yes I would love to join you for fried noodles!

Thanks for that. How important is the wok? I usually stir fry in a flat pan.

Nooo! All the noodles are for ME!!! :D

Anyway, the wok makes it easier to stir and toss the food without bits flying around but you should be fine with a flat pan as long as you don't put too much in at the same time. If you think it'll be too full maybe divide the noodles/veg/sauce into portions and do up each helping separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

How do u make schezuan sauce?? Great thread by the way ðŸ‘

Whispered wrote: »
    Not exactly a dish but I'd love to be able to do Chinese style fried noodles. When I try I never manage to get it quite right. Noodles I have bought in the shop have been too thick and often stick to the pan. (Decent pan, most things are ok on it)

Is it just soy sauce added for flavour? At what stage of cooking? Thanks.

A wok and a wok burner is essential to get that taste. But again, heat your pan up until it's smoking then add oil to coat the pan.

The noodles are boiled in salted water at first and when you put them in the wok, add dark soy (always first) then a little light soy to balance the taste and flavour. You can add a dash of pepper and salt then a little sesame oil at the end. But most importantly you need to be able to move the noodles under high heat to bring out the taste.

Oops, I forgot to add this. Use Lion brand Chinese noodles. Size 1 or 2 depending how thick you like the noodles. That's the type every Chinese shop uses. OK, enough trade secrets for now, I'm off to the pub!

How do u make schezuan sauce?? Great thread by the way ðŸ‘

Depends the kind of Sichuan sauce you are used to. The sauce gets made with the meal. Not pre-made and stored.

We use Toban Djan (chili bean paste) with tomato paste, chicken stock, salt, sugar, MSG, and vinegar. You can also add a little oyster sauce and light soy if you like. This is the red spicy but slightly sour version.

Chili bean paste is fermented and produced in Sichuan province in China. Therefore if you buy the Lee Kum Kee paste then that's made in Hong Kong and doesn't have the authentic taste. But, it's still OK. Sichuan sauce in my opinion should not be made using any other ingredients.
    If you want to make your Sichuan meal authentic then ground a little bit Sichuan peppercorn and add it in the mix. Very spicy.

You also use this paste to make spicy chili chicken.

Beef and tomato.

One of my favorite dishes in a Chinese take away. Here's how it's made.

Beef, topside, sliced and marinated in :sesame oil, potato starch, dark soy, baking soda (just a tiny bit) for 30 minutes then blanch in boiling water until 80% cooked.

Half an onion cut into square pieces.
    Two tomatoes quartered.
    One spring onion cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces.
    Sweet and sour sauce.
    Cantonese sauce.
    Water/stock
    Chinese cooking wine
    Sugar.
    Salt.
    MSG.

Cook it.

Hot smoking wok.
    Add oil
    Add onion
    Add the beef
    High heat, splash of wine
    Add sweet and sour sauce and Cantonese sauce (will do this one at some point)
    Add water/stock
    Add 1 Tsp sugar, 1 Tsp MSG and a pinch of salt
    Add tomatoes and cook for about 30 seconds at high heat.
    Heat off. Add spring onions.

Finished. Beef and tomato.
    *You can achieve a decent result by just using sweet and sour and adding extra sugar. But the combination of the sweet and sour and Cantonese sauce is what gives this dish the unique taste*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

What is Cantonese sauce?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What is Cantonese sauce?

It's similar to Peking sauce. Spare ribs in Cantonese sauce is real nice. As is char siu pork in Cantonese sauce.

It's quite a lengthy process to make it. Uses fruit/veg infused oil and a mixture of various other sauces.

I will do a home (scaled down version when I get the chance) We make it in big batches I'll do a small batch and see if it scales down OK.

By the way the Pineapple dishes use this sauce combo too. Again, some places just use sweet and sour but the addition of the Cantonese sauce makes for a great taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

It's similar to Peking sauce. Spare ribs in Cantonese sauce is real nice. As is char siu pork in Cantonese sauce.

It's quite a lengthy process to make it. Uses fruit/veg infused oil and a mixture of various other sauces.

I will do a home (scaled down version when I get the chance) We make it in big batches I'll do a small batch and see if it scales down OK.

By the way the Pineapple dishes use this sauce combo too. Again, some places just use sweet and sour but the addition of the Cantonese sauce makes for a great taste.

Would be very interested in this - my Chinese does a duck in Cantonese sauce, and it's the sauce that I like above all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Beef and tomato.

One of my favorite dishes in a Chinese take away. Here's how it's made.
    I am going to try this, well in the takeaway anyway!

I went through a phase of trying different dishes I had never tried before. I was pleasantly surprised by most.

In most Chinese takeaways you get these single or double word dishes, I think it puts most people off. Always amusing to see some drunk lad reading the menu for 5mins and then "ahh sure just give us chicken curry & fried rice". Most have no added description, while in many Indian takeaways its the opposite, you get good descriptions of what to expect. e.g. I was always put off by "chicken and beansprouts" until I discovered it was chicken beansprouts and BBQ sauce (which I love, like on ribs), but I am still unsure if all takeaways would give BBQ sauce with that dish name.

I always found it confusing why many takeaways seem to be carbon copies of each other.

One Chinese takeaway near me put photos of dishes on the wall, I was delighted until I copped on they were generic photos and were actually nothing like what you got there (of the ones I had tried). I was in china before and some places had the plates covered in cling film or in display cabinets so you could see exactly what to expect. Some takeaways do arty photography of food they made themselves but still does not really look like what you get. If I owned one I would have photos of the food in the wok, and a photo of it in the container and a good description.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am going to try this, well in the takeaway anyway!

I went through a phase of trying different dishes I had never tried before. I was pleasantly surprised by most.

In most Chinese takeaways you get these single or double word dishes, I think it puts most people off. Always amusing to see some drunk lad reading the menu for 5mins and then "ahh sure just give us chicken curry & fried rice". Most have no added description, while in many Indian takeaways its the opposite, you get good descriptions of what to expect. e.g. I was always put off by "chicken and beansprouts" until I discovered it was chicken beansprouts and BBQ sauce (which I love, like on ribs), but I am still unsure if all takeaways would give BBQ sauce with that dish name.

I always found it confusing why many takeaways seem to be carbon copies of each other.

One Chinese takeaway near me put photos of dishes on the wall, I was delighted until I copped on they were generic photos and were actually nothing like what you got there (of the ones I had tried). I was in china before and some places had the plates covered in cling film or in display cabinets so you could see exactly what to expect. Some takeaways do arty photography of food they made themselves but still does not really look like what you get. If I owned one I would have photos of the food in the wok, and a photo of it in the container and a good description.

Yes. In Asia a lot of restaurants make 3d plastic copies of their dishes and cover them in cling film. Put them on display.

I'd guess the reason Chinese take aways don't do this is they use a lot of different ingredients and if they run out they will substitute one for another!

There's so many variations and ways to present the food. While the taste remains quite close.
    Curry, blackbean, sweet sour etc are mostly prepared the same way. Just maybe a slight difference in certain ingredients and quantities.

In our curry we add onions and peas. In some places they also add mushrooms. Up in Scotland they mostly add just onions. Regional differences.

But maybe a description on the menu would be better.

It's nice to try new dishes. I'm a big fan of General Tso's chicken and yellow fried rice. Not on our menu but sometimes as a special. It's real nice. The base sauce is a bit of a pain to make it just for specials though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

r john g, wheres your restaurant?

donegal. wrote: »
    r john g, wheres your restaurant?

As of yesterday donegal we don't have one. Sold it. We're taking a break then going to look for a takeaway in a new location. Maybe possibly Ireland or in England again.
    That's all we need. A sit in restaurant was too much hassle. My Wife has never been to Ireland so maybe take Her there and see if She likes it.

She does most of the cooking by the way. I cook a bit but do all the preparation. Pastes, sauces etc. Time consuming but I enjoy it. Glad for the break.

I'd be interested to see a menu of an Irish take away to see if there are any dishes on it we don't do. Does anybody have a link to their local Chinese that has a website?

How do you prepare rice for frying? Seems straight forward but a lot of people stumble at this hurdle.

Here's the best way to do it that I know.

You will need a heavy bottomed pot with a lid.
    Long grain rice. Thai Jasmine rice is perfect for it.
    Measure one part rice and one part water.

Put the rice in warm water for about ten minutes.
    Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear.
    Now add rice and your measured water to the pot.
    Here's the secret. Depending on the amount of rice you are cooking add a Tsp or 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
    Lid on and bring it to a boil. As soon as it boils turn the cooker to a low heat
    and leave it to cook for 8 - 9 minutes then turn the heat off and let it steam another 10-12 minutes.

At this point it will be a bit sticky as it's hot. Fork it through and put it in a tray. Leave in the fridge covered over night. And you will have perfect rice for frying the next day. The grains will all be separated. Nothing sticking together. The oil is the key here.

By the way if you want American Chinese yellow rice just add yellow food colouring in the pot before you cook it. That's all it is. It is NOT turmeric as this would change the taste of the rice. I think this question was asked in one of JASSHA'S posts.

Off the top of my head the only use for Turmeric is in the curry paste. It's extensively used in Indian cooking though. That, I'm a big fan of. My hobby is cooking B.I.R. (British Indian restaurant) dishes in my spare time. Might do a vindaloo tonight actually:)

Does anybody have a link to their local Chinese that has a website?
    There are takeaway online ordering websites which have menus from all around the country.

However the sites can be hard to navigate to see random restaurants as they ask for your location and only show takeaways in your local area. But you can use the google site: command to find just Chinese menus. Try clicking these links

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#q=chinese+site:just-eat.ie&safe=off&start=10

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#safe=off&q=chinese+site:marvin.ie

I put "Chinese" in those searches, you could use the term "stir fried" instead and it would show other restaurants, like Thai.

I nearly always collect from takeaways and overhear orders, though the menu selections are large most people tend to stick to very few dishes. Like chicken curry, chicken chow mein, chicken balls, beef green pepper & blackbean, "3 in 1". In recent years "spice bags" have become popular, you probably heard of these, in my local takeaway he told me they sell about 50 per night.

There are takeaway online ordering websites which have menus from all around the country.

However the sites can be hard to navigate to see random restaurants as they ask for your location and only show takeaways in your local area. But you can use the google site: command to find just Chinese menus. Try clicking these links

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#q=chinese+site:just-eat.ie&safe=off&start=10

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#safe=off&q=chinese+site:marvin.ie

I put "Chinese" in those searches, you could use the term "stir fried" instead and it would show other restaurants, like Thai.

I nearly always collect from takeaways and overhear orders, though the menu selections are large most people tend to stick to very few dishes. Like chicken curry, chicken chow mein, chicken balls, beef green pepper & blackbean, "3 in 1". In recent years "spice bags" have become popular, you probably heard of these, in my local takeaway he told me they sell about 50 per night.

Thanks. No I hadn't heard of 'spice bags' I Googled it and it's mostly Irish website results. Interesting. Looks like the Irish Chinese version of the Indian munchie boxes.

Chips and shredded chicken cooked in spices and chili. Probably a variation on the popular salt and chili dishes! If anybody has a photo could you please post it.

Actually, it's a great idea because a Chinese 'munchie box' could have for instance a couple of ribs, spring roll. Chips, shredded chicken, maybe a samosa. A couple of sauces and a portion of prawn crackers. That's got me thinking.

You're right about what people often eat. Curries, sweet n sours etc. We had about 100 plus Chinese dishes. Around 30 Thai dishes and even some Western food on our menu. But customers always ordered the old favourites. When we open up again I will reduce the size of the menu. But keep the best sellers of course.
    Thanks for the links.

• Advertisement

When we open up again I will reduce the size of the menu.
    I have seen some newer menus which have a good idea. Normally menus will list beef curry, chicken curry, prawn curry etc.

The new menus say "pick your meat: chicken, beef, pork, prawns, special (mixture)"

then "pick your sauce/dish: curry, sweet n sour, kung po, chow mein, ginger & spring onion etc"

So rather than repeating everything over and over its a small section, then they have individual chef specials too.

This was a good menu with descriptions of the food, however it has lots of dishes I have never seen in other places,

https://www.zomato.com/dublin/maxims-chinese-and-thai-deansgrange/menu#tabtop

Spicebags are popular with kids and people coming out of pubs, it's an alternative to the chipper or kebab place. It allows people to eat while walking or kids sitting outside, while many Chinese dishes would require a proper table & cutlery to eat them.

I have seen some newer menus which have a good idea. Normally menus will list beef curry, chicken curry, prawn curry etc.

The new menus say "pick your meat: chicken, beef, pork, prawns, special (mixture)"

then "pick your sauce/dish: curry, sweet n sour, kung po, chow mein, ginger & spring onion etc"

So rather than repeating everything over and over its a small section, then they have individual chef specials too.

This was a good menu with descriptions of the food, however it has lots of dishes I have never seen in other places,

https://www.zomato.com/dublin/maxims-chinese-and-thai-deansgrange/menu#tabtop

Spicebags are popular with kids and people coming out of pubs, it's an alternative to the chipper or kebab place. It allows people to eat while walking or kids sitting outside, while many Chinese dishes would require a proper table & cutlery to eat them.

Yes, I've seen that kind of menu. I see they do the spice bag. I think it's salt and pepper mix with chili flakes in it. Don't have any contacts in Eire I could ask though. Just you guys:)

Some dishes on that menu I'm not familiar with. Interesting variations on the chow mein. Call me old fashioned but we sold chicken, beef, special and a vegetarian chow mein. That was enough:)

They are also quite descriptive on their dishes. A nice touch.

Roast beef in creamy curry sauce. Wow, that sounds good. Methinks they make their 'creamy' curry sauce from the paste but using coconut cream and a stock mix for that dish. Usually it's just a stock mix with the curry paste. Might try that too.

Also interesting to note that the Thai curries are more expensive than the Chinese. And they use the wrong vegetables in them.

A big thanks for your reply.

Some dishes on that menu I'm not familiar with. Interesting variations on the chow mein. .
    It is not a typical menu, I really liked the descriptions, which most do not have. Most would just have chicken/beef/prawn/veg/special chow mein and singapore chow mein. Some have a dry chow mein, with no sauce, just fine chicken & noodles & beansprouts.
    Also interesting to note that the Thai curries are more expensive than the Chinese.
    This is nearly always the case. Many people frown upon Chinese curry, you will see in threads people saying "don't get a curry in the Chinese, go to an Indian takeaway if you want a real curry". But they are very different, I know people who dislike Indian curry but love Chinese ones. The chicken curry is usually the cheapest full meal on the menu, or the same price as several other cheaper dishes. Thai only, and Indian only restaurants are usually more expensive than Chinese takeaways too.
    I see they do the spice bag.
    The takeaway that sells 50 per night does not have the spicebag listed on the menu, he does not even have it on a sign on the wall. I asked why and he said they do not need to advertise, they had to rearrange the kitchen to cope with all the orders for them.

It is not a typical menu, I really liked the descriptions, which most do not have. Most would just have chicken/beef/prawn/veg/special chow mein and singapore chow mein. Some have a dry chow mein, with no sauce, just fine chicken & noodles & beansprouts.

This is nearly always the case. Many people frown upon Chinese curry, you will see in threads people saying "don't get a curry in the Chinese, go to an Indian takeaway if you want a real curry". But they are very different, I know people who dislike Indian curry but love Chinese ones. The chicken curry is usually the cheapest full meal on the menu, or the same price as several other cheaper dishes. Thai only, and Indian only restaurants are usually more expensive than Chinese takeaways too.

The takeaway that sells 50 per night does not have the spicebag listed on the menu, he does not even have it on a sign on the wall. I asked why and he said they do not need to advertise, they had to rearrange the kitchen to cope with all the orders for them.

Again, that's interesting. Thai curries are pretty cheap to make. Especially if you do them 'Chinese style' and use bell peppers etc. You will never see a Thai curry in Thailand with bell peppers in it.

Chinese curry paste is a pain in the butt to make it. Especially in large batches. It shouldn't be the cheapest dish on the menu. But it is.
    Some places 'cheat' and use a commercial curry paste and modify it.
    When you go to a Chinese supermarket and buy a curry paste that says mix with water. That's not what you do at all. Will taste nothing like a curry from a take away.

A good Chinese curry tastes great. We catered for a friends pool league last night and made Him a beef/chicken curry with salt and pepper chips and egg fried rice. The trays were empty in two minutes. Bunch of lads from Bolton said 'I wish we had a Chinese that good where we come from'
    Three plates one of them had. Lol.

The spice bag sounds good. Might need to get a flight over and have a couple of nights in Dublin. Trying a few places.

I worked and lived in Ireland many moons ago. Loved the people and the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A good Chinese curry tastes great. We catered for a friends pool league last night and made Him a beef/chicken curry with salt and pepper chips and egg fried rice. The trays were empty in two minutes. Bunch of lads from Bolton said 'I wish we had a Chinese that good where we come from'
    Three plates one of them had. Lol.

The spice bag sounds good. Might need to get a flight over and have a couple of nights in Dublin. Trying a few places.

I worked and lived in Ireland many moons ago. Loved the people and the place.

It'll depend what market you're aiming at. A spice bag wouldn't appeal to me.

If you do get across, the China Sichuan in Sandyford is a must-visit. Anywhere serving takeaway food of that calibre would make a fortune. Similarly, the Good World off George's Street.

Really good dim sum nibbles would be a wonderful addition to Irish takeaways. Tapas and Pintxos have been big hits. An Oriental version would work too.

Long grain rice. Thai Jasmine rice is perfect for it.
    Measure one part rice and one part water.
    Is this by volume, 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, or by weight?

Most volume recipes say 1.5-2 parts water to rice. But maybe as its going to be fried it should be drier?

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It'll depend what market you're aiming at. A spice bag wouldn't appeal to me.
    +1, a chinese takeaway near me does quarter pounders and doner kebabs. Another does batter burgers & batter sausages! In many threads asking "indian or Chinese takeaway" many say Indian and say the Chinese is cheap and gloopy etc. But this is very unfair, it would be like saying "steak restaurant or chipper?". Most Indian takeaways are a lot more expensive so you should expect it to be better quality food. It should be compared to Chinese of a similar price, which is usually only actual restaurants that also do a takeaway service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

+1, a chinese takeaway near me does quarter pounders and doner kebabs. Another does batter burgers & batter sausages! In many threads asking "indian or Chinese takeaway" many say Indian and say the Chinese is cheap and gloopy etc. But this is very unfair, it would be like saying "steak restaurant or chipper?". Most Indian takeaways are a lot more expensive so you should expect it to be better quality food. It should be compared to Chinese of a similar price, which is usually only actual restaurants that also do a takeaway service.

Absolutely. Potsticker dumplings of several varieties with a black vinegar dip, good spring rolls and seafood would make me try a new place.

Is this by volume, 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, or by weight?

Most volume recipes say 1.5-2 parts water to rice. But maybe as its going to be fried it should be drier?

By volume. This is the perfect ratio when cooking on a wok station and at Home. Just cook it a bit longer at home.

I've worked out a small portion for home use.

1 pint glass full of rice. 1 pint glass of water and 1 Tbsp oil. There had to be beer in it for me somewhere:)

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Potsticker dumplings of several varieties with a black vinegar dip, good spring rolls and seafood would make me try a new place.

All very easy to do.

We used to put char siu cuts, in our spring rolls and make our own dips. Sold like hot cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

jassha wrote: »
    chinese curry sauce recipe
    You will need
    -2litres oil
    -1 lge onion
    -1 head garlic
    -2 carrots
    -1 stick celery
    -1 red pepper
    -1 lemon
    -2 pieces of ginger
    -10 whole chilies (more if u like it spicier)

PHASE ONE

Put oil into a big pot(should only come one third up the pot)
    heat to approx 160 degrees
    add all of other ingredients a little at a time
    cook til all ingredients appear roasted looking
    Smell at this point will be incredible
    turn off and strain oil into another pot
    disgard veg

PHASE TWO

Put oil back on a very low heat
    add plain flour 4 parts
    add a medium madras curry powder 1 part
    repeat above until u have a very thick paste
    add 2 chopped bananas
    cook very slowly mixing every few mins for 1 hour
    remove from heat and leave to cool

You now have a curry paste far superior to anything u could buy in a shop and with no additives

To make ure sauce pour a tin of coconut milk into a pot add an equivelent amount of water or stock add some of ure paste and bring to the boil stirring constantly. season with salt, sugar and pepper. NO NEED FOR MSG UNLESS U REALLY LIKE IT.

This paste will keep in a clean dry container for 6 to eight weeks

Very old thred I know but what sort of oil do you use?

Advertisement