Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Life - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Finished it there earlier, i loved it. Like others who posted here, I wouldn't be his biggest fan but this was a great watch.
    Had a bit of everything really, and makes you feel all sorts of emotions watching it. Surprised me how good it was, as I wasn't expecting much at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Really enjoying this and Ricky annoys me, I think the globes was the only thing I liked him in bar a few bits in extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have got as far as E4. Enjoying it but, as of yet, i wouldn’t have it ahead of any of Office, Extras or Derek. Do feel like it is taking me somewhere very interesting, though, so that evaluation may well change subsequently. Not full of lol moments for me, but that’s not a big problem, it has a lot of other charms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I don't particularly like Ricky Gervais but this is really excellent. So many well written characters.

As a matter of interest - why do you not like Ricky Gervais? he has made two absolutely outstanding TV shows, up there arguably with the best ever made. He is an extremely funny guy. Also he is very, very insightful.

Whats not to like? I sometimes think its his appearance that puts people off - that he is a slightly overweight middle aged guy who doesnt especially seem to care about his appearance (no offence Ricky)......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Acosta wrote: »
    Enjoyed it. When it was funny it was VERY funny. I generally don't like drama and sentimentality mixed in when I'm watching comedy, but it didn't bother me too much in this. Other than..
    The overdose was a bit off though. Thought he would have felt worse about enabling the guy to kill himself. The show didn't need it.

Id agree a bit with that; overall I really enjoyed it, it was a brave effort.

However, I did thing his evolution was a bit rushed - could have been ten episodes instead of six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest - why do you not like Ricky Gervais? he has made two absolutely outstanding TV shows, up there arguably with the best ever made. He is an extremely funny guy. Also he is very, very insightful.

Whats not to like? I sometimes think its his appearance that puts people off - that he is a slightly overweight middle aged guy who doesnt especially seem to care about his appearance (no offence Ricky)......

He's not insightful in the slightest, he's an overgrown 1st year Philosophy student

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's not insightful in the slightest, he's an overgrown 1st year Philosophy student

Agreed. Half the points he makes are almost identical to what others have said. The big one that stuck out for me was when the
    red-haired woman with the glasses (Philomena Cunk, forget her name in the show) just randomly asks him if he doesn't believe in God why doesn't he kill and rape as many people as he wants, and he says he does, because the amount of people he wants to kill and rape is zero. That's almost verbatim something Penn Jillette (from Penn & Teller) said years ago. Difference being, Penn didn't then purposefully give a drug addict money to buy enough drugs to kill himself half an episode later.

Gervais has his moments, but "insightful" he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

it was good, bit preachy towards the end, very like the last episode of Extras.
    Good characters. He was pushing buttons for tears all over the place, like every second scene.

To me Gervais best work was The Office and I doubt he will ever beat that.

If you like this show, with it's small country town England feel to it, then check out The Dectectorists. Like Ricky's show it's full of humour and likeable charaters without so much of the dark side.

It's also on Netflix

De Bhál wrote: »
    it was good, bit preachy towards the end, very like the last episode of Extras.
    Good characters. He was pushing buttons for tears all over the place, like every second scene.

To me Gervais best work was The Office and I doubt he will ever beat that.

If you like this show, with it's small country town England feel to it, then check out The Dectecorists. Like Ricky's show it's full of humour and likeable charaters without so much of the dark side.

It's also on Netfli
    x

+1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

For anyone out there who's lost someone or who lives with someone suffering from mental illness.

We were granted both in 2016 - we lost Mum to cancer and Dad was diagnosed with dementia at the same time, at one point she was undergoing chemotherapy in The Mater and he was ill with kidney failure in Beaumont and for 4 horrible weeks, my younger sister and I were running from her hospital to his taking turns at visiting them, Mum knew Dad was very sick but thankfully, by some miracle, they got out of their respective hospitals (she checked herself out) and we all spent a special final weekend together at home before her condition worsened and she was moved to a respite center, the rest is as they say, history.

Watching this show opened so many old feelings and wounds, the anger and frustration, sense of loss, deep love and unanswered questions, the grief for the things that never will be , she'll never see us marry or hold grandchildren etc, the fear of the gradual loss of a second parent as the illness slowly eats their mind, will he forget us, will he forget her, this show brought on tears, helped me further come to terms with her loss, struck a deep resonance in me but ultimately gave me some serious laughs.

I've never been a huge fan of Gervais, but for this show I will be eternally grateful to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The thing I really loved about this show is how the dog saved him in each of the first few episodes. Dog food can vs mugger was brilliant.

Really enjoyed Roisin connagty’s character. Didn’t like the excessive use of strong language. It seemed over the top and spoiled the show a bit for me. It was almost as if Ricky knew he was allowed 3 C words and two F words per episode and made sure to include them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can understand why some posters don't get it at all. There the lucky ones.
    Only a few episodes in, hope it ends well. It's taken me on a bit of journey so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ziedth wrote: »
    The actor who plays his dad has been around a long time
    That's David Bradley, who's been in the business nearly fifty years now. He was in all the Harry Potter films, but his most iconic role has to be in Game of Thrones as Walder Frey, possibly the most despicable character in a series teeming with despicable characters. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

bnt wrote: »
    That's David Bradley, who's been in the business nearly fifty years now. He was in all the Harry Potter films, but his most iconic role has to be in Game of Thrones as Walder Frey, possibly the most despicable character in a series teeming with despicable characters. :eek:
    Yeah, but then he played a lovely old man hunting Nazi vampires on The Strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/official-netflix-renew-664284
    Season 2
    I will definitely watch, but not sure it's necessary the first series seemed pretty complete

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/official-netflix-renew-664284
    Season 2
    I will definitely watch, but not sure it's necessary the first series seemed pretty complete

Agree! Less is more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

a bit pathetic when he said "Thank You" with his voice breaking when she said yes to the date ?
    In the real world no one would appreciate that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Just after watching this over the last 2 days, thought it was lovely, genuine TV. Not a fan of Gervais at all, but this was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,500 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Afterlife the no. 1 show on Netflix currently

Annette Crosbie is great in this series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Reviews are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not as good as the 1st season but that's uderstandable and it did take an episode to get going but it was still enjoyable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

There is a quality to this show that I just can't quite describe properly. It's sort of like the script was written by a slightly intelligent yet untalented 16 year old who is attempting to be deep and intellectual and outputs workable but ultimately cringe and shallow material. Except the 16 year old is in this case a 50 year old industry respected man with a massive budget. I get this feeling with any of Gervais' "serious" shows. I managed to watch half of the first season out of fascination, and the last half out of a stubborn need to finish what I started. Now I am just annoyed I am seeing advertisements on Netflix for season two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I loved the first series. Thought it was clever, honest and raw.
    Am enjoying second series too
    I do find faults think somethings are overdone. But all In all I’m a fan of afterlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Blitzed the 2nd season today. Very enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I watched in 1 sitting. Doesn't develop the story at all and it's pretty much the same as series 1 but it's very enjoyable TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Tony seems to regress in this series. There's a couple of characters that I loved hating. The psychologist and the yoga instructor. Two absolute dick heads who offer nothing except their own self importance.

Best line was "I got bummed by the ghost of Liberace".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Lyan wrote: »
    There is a quality to this show that I just can't quite describe properly. It's sort of like the script was written by a slightly intelligent yet untalented 16 year old who is attempting to be deep and intellectual and outputs workable but ultimately cringe and shallow material. Except the 16 year old is in this case a 50 year old industry respected man with a massive budget. I get this feeling with any of Gervais' "serious" shows. I managed to watch half of the first season out of fascination, and the last half out of a stubborn need to finish what I started. Now I am just annoyed I am seeing advertisements on Netflix for season two.

He's nearly 60!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Watched it all last night.

Loved the first one and loved this as well.

Laughter and tears.

Lyan wrote: »

I think that it captures the different stages of grief perfectly.

• Advertisement

I think that it captures the different stages of grief perfectly.

The first series definitely helped me and the album Post Traumatic by Mike Shinoda, he wrote it after losing his pal Chester Bennington.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Watched S02 this weekend and absolutely loved it, what a wonderful show really hope there will be a series 3.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

while its not perfect, it definitely hits the right emotional tones for me to again say that this is gervais' best work.
    Seasons 2 is actually a little less morbid than season 1, but in the right manner, It hasnt gone all 'aliens 2' on it.
    There are plenty of uplifting moments to buffer and light shine onto the hard ones.
    You can always feel the love Tony has for Lisa.
    He sees her in every ordinary mundane aspect of his life, and in every corner of his town.

The poorer aspects is the paper thin resolution
    to matt and his estranged wifes Jills' problems. Just because Matt was getting other female attention was enough for them to be back arm in arm???

Pat and Roxys
    fledgling romance is cute
    , but both characters are
    very much over the top, the 'hooker with a heart' trope and the homeless scruffball (who happens to have a civil service job?) who both care for Tony.

but its in it quieter sadder moments that it is so good. I defy even the hardest of hearts not to melt
    at his dads eulogy
    . Myself and my better half watched it all on sunday morning, and i can honestly say there was plenty of tears shed through the six episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Shelga wrote: »
    Couldn’t see a thread on this- binge watched yesterday. I was a blubbering wreck throughout. I think it will really touch a nerve with anyone who has experienced grief.

It’s also very funny. It’s overly sentimental and ‘lesson-y’, especially towards the end, but I thought overall it was really well put together, funny and touching.

I have watched the previous season last year, and I have watched the first one of the second season. Plan to watch it in a drip, drip fashion.
    It is a fantastic television, well written with a sense of ordinariness. Very intelligently done.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've a Dad in nursing home at the moment and I was bawling at this.

The characters are supposed to be caricatures.

Laughing at the concert and then crying 2 mins later.

And the soundtrack is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finished it there... was very good but definitely not a patch on the first series IMO.

Ricky is getting better at writing emotional scenes but didn't find the comedy as sharp this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Basq wrote: »
    Just finished it there... was very good but definitely not a patch on the first series IMO.

Ricky is getting better at writing emotional scenes but didn't find the comedy as sharp this time around.

Without Merchant he is nowhere near as funny or dark, he's incredibly sentimantel but his work lacks the edge or dark humour of The Office or Extras, even Life's Too Short is hilarious in places

After Life is enjoyable just think he overlays the sentimantel aspect of it and like another poster said, he can be quite preachy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

siblers wrote: »
    Without Merchant he is nowhere near as funny or dark, he's incredibly sentimantel but his work lacks the edge or dark humour of The Office or Extras, even Life's Too Short is hilarious in place
    Gotta disagree.

Even After Life or Derek at it's worst was 100 times better than Life's Too Short - which I thought was utter dreck. A massive misfire for Gervais and Merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Surprised by the positivity here. I loved season 1 and found the second season an awkward, unfunny, pointless, OTT mess.

• Advertisement

I enjoy it as a whole but its all very forced. I feel like ricky is playing himself and talking directly to the audience most of the time. At least in the office that was genuinely true as he looked at the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thought the first series was okay, but not great. Was curious how they'd get a second series out of it given that Ricky's character started to move on from his wife's death, was starting to date the nurse and resolved to be a better person.

Watched the first episode of the new series. They just went "Yeah, forget about all that, he's miserable and calling everyone a c*nt again"

It's also another case of making up arguments (like the yoga teacher snorting and slurping his tea) that are so overly comedic and designed just to make his character angry enough to f*ck people off that it jars with the tone of the rest of the show.

It's just all over the place as a show. It's completely unbalanced and doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. I'll belt on with it but I don't hold out much hope.

A big plus is that the episodes are only 25 mins. Sometimes committing to a full hour of something else is off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

I really enjoyed that. Fair depressing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dennis Pennis, sorry Paul Kay, steals the show so far (2 episodes in).

I'd agree with the post above that said S1 ended on a cheery note, we thought he was going to move on etc but start of S2 he's just like the character from start of S1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I didn't think it was great, but it had enough genuinely funny moments to make it worth watching. Annette Crosbie was fantastic as the sweary 100-year-old. As an Ever Decreasing Circles fan, it was pleasing to see Penelope Wilton and Peter Egan reunited as Ann and Paul. And Roisín Conaty was great too as the prostitute sex worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I didn't think it was as funny or had the emotional impact of the first season. Some of it felt a bit forced. I whinged multiple times during the first and not once with season 2. There were still some hilarious moment though. The show!! :p

Glebee wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that. Fair depressing though.

If your trying to deal with grief it's a rollercoaster, it's nice to see someone in your own shoes and taking it to the extreme. I found it therapeutic, catches a lot of what people go through on that journey, your fit to cry but the laughs bring you back smiling again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I finished it now. Enjoyed most of it, but I got to be honest I think the ending would have been a lot better if Tony killed himself. Like the heroin fella in season 1. Tony dies, dog is barking, Nurse rings doorbell and walks away. Then montage of all the others, getting on with thier lives. Making the best of things.

Plus the whinging of Tony started to grate on me after a while; Lisa this, Lisa that. Felt like shaking him and saying cop yourself on. I mean if you remember in season 1: Lisa tells Tony to find someone else.

But that is just me I don't like constant whinging and naval gazing, and prefer to look at the positive in situations. Which many of the other characters do. Or at the very least many adapt, and find a coping mechanism. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. The way most of the characters had a resolve, an inner strength and kept going no matter what thier situation.

But one of the characters really annoyed me towards the end. The psychiatrist - the spiel stopped being funny after a while. Paul Kaye seemed to be playing just a slightly less violent version of the Millwall fan he played in 'lillyhammer'. Why did Matt (Tony's in-law) not tell him to feck off way earlier?

But overall it was very good. It definitely gets reactions from people and plays with emotions etc. Nice bits of quirky comedy as well. Gervais himself said he found many people grieving seemed to relate to it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Not very funny but decent enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Ah twas grand, same as first season , hasn't moved on in many ways.
    The psychiatrist was too over the top really which kind of ruined the show for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement