Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

After Life - Netflix

  • 10-03-2019 10:47am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭ Shelga


    Couldn’t see a thread on this- binge watched yesterday. I was a blubbering wreck throughout. I think it will really touch a nerve with anyone who has experienced grief.

    It’s also very funny. It’s overly sentimental and ‘lesson-y’, especially towards the end, but I thought overall it was really well put together, funny and touching.


«1345678

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 28,756 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    Shelga wrote: »
    Couldn’t see a thread on this- binge watched yesterday. I was a blubbering wreck throughout. I think it will really touch a nerve with anyone who has experienced grief.

    It’s also very funny. It’s overly sentimental and ‘lesson-y’, especially towards the end, but I thought overall it was really well put together, funny and touching.
    I thought this was really excellent, I am not usually mad into Ricky Gervais, but this struck a really tough balance between funny to extremely sad.
    The cast are fantastic as well.
    It has really stayed with me.
    I would highly recommend it too.

    Oh I would have liked more Diane Morgan she was hilarious in the little parts she did pop up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭ messrs


    Watched this yesterday, like that I did cry a lot during it but thought it was very good, would recommend watching it


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭ Rfrip


    Just on the third episode. God it’s heartbreaking and hilarious. I’m exhausted

    Genuine lols on the bit about James cordon


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭ Mike Litoris


    Watched it this morning. Fantastic stuff altogether, genius even! Absolutely the best stuff he's done. I laughed and cried throughout. Thankfully after most sad scenes there was some comic relief or else I would have whinged through the whole thing.

    Yeah, the last episode was a bit preachy and overly sentimental but it didn't take the shine off it one bit. Every character is brilliantly written and revealed and the cast are fantastic. Roisin Conaty, Paul Kaye, Joe Wilkinson all had really good turns in this. I wonder if Gervais hand picked them for the roles.

    I'm going to watch the lot again this evening. Can't recommend this enough.


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,492 ✭✭✭✭ Basq


    It was fantastic.. echoing what I said in the Netflix Recommendations thread but great writing, very funny at times, heartbreaking at others. Plus some excellent music picks on that soundtrack.

    gmisk wrote: »
    Oh I would have liked more Diane Morgan she was hilarious in the little parts she did pop up.
    The dinner party guests bit was brilliant!
    Roisin Conaty, Paul Kaye, Joe Wilkinson all had really good turns in this.
    Thought Tom Basden (Matt) outshone even Gervais at times myself.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭ Mike Litoris


    Basq wrote: »
    Plus some excellent music picks on that soundtrack.

    Was it the end of ep 4 that played out with You got a Friend by James Taylor. My wife decided to wake up and catch me absolutely bawling. :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭ Mike Litoris


    gmisk wrote: »
    Oh I would have liked more Diane Morgan she was hilarious in the little parts she did pop up.

    By the end I think I felt sorry for her character the most. Again, superbly written and acted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭ messrs


    Not a spoiler but just dont want to ruin it for someone who has yet to watch it all
    Im glad it didnt end with his father dying as I thought with all his visits to the care home that it was going to go that way


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭ Rfrip


    Just finished it...I’m weeping. So so good


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,756 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    By the end I think I felt sorry for her character the most. Again, superbly written and acted.
    Totally agree, she was so funny as well though, great delivery.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭ Snake Plisken


    Really enjoyed it, just wondering if there is a second season planned? Would you want to see a second season? I think personally I would as I thought the characters are well written.


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,492 ✭✭✭✭ Basq


    Really enjoyed it, just wondering if there is a second season planned? Would you want to see a second season? I think personally I would as I thought the characters are well written.
    ^ Think it's unnecessary to be honest..

    It does appear Gervais wants to do one though:
    He told Digital Spy: "I really would like to do a second series, because I fell in love with the characters.

    “And the second series is always better, usually because you know the actors."


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭ killbillvol2


    I don't particularly like Ricky Gervais but this is really excellent. So many well written characters.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭ Rfrip


    I keep thinking about it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 76,209 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1


    I have tears from crying and laughing, only with Ricky


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭ siblers


    Wasn't expecting much but I enjoyed it and Gervais was superb in it, as was most of the cast, I went through all 6 episodes today it but I just found
    the last episode just to be overly sentimental and it was all so nicely wrapped up when you consider how darker it was in the earlier episodes, just seems a bit par for course with Gervais these days
    also, he really needs to let go of the whole not believing in god thing (I don't believe either btw)


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    Started watching it this evening. Really enjoying it.

    Tony says that his wife died 'earlier this year' and in the episode I'm watching, his brother-in-law is trying to get him to start dating again. I wouldn't even consider saying that to somebody bereaved less than a year!

    Watching episode 4 now, so will finish the last two tomorrow after work.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 BelovedAunt


    Watched the whole thing last night. The Office is probably my favourite show and Gervais was a hero of mine growing up, so I'm still waiting for a true return to form for him. Sadly, this isn't really it.

    It's grand, some good ideas but it's got that awful daytime tv look and feel that all his stuff except The Office has. The documentary style of The Office made his style of shooting and dialogue work but everything he's done since then (except maybe Extras) just feels off to me.

    It's strange because his stand up is so acerbic, yet his later shows and films are far too schmaltzy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Grey Fox


    I don't know why this is getting such good reviews, I thought it was a very poor effort by Gervais.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭ splinter65


    Grey Fox wrote: »
    I don't know why this is getting such good reviews, I thought it was a very poor effort by Gervais.

    Ricky is one of the sacred cows.
    You can’t critisice him.
    The Office and Extras are genius. An Idiot Abroad is great crack, but no more or less then some other comedians.
    What’s restraining him in my opinion is that he’s exhausted himself with his obsession with trying to convince himself and everyone else that there’s no God. It’s pointless. There’s no evidence that there’s no god and trying to embarrass those that do believe just makes you look like a bully.
    Move on to something else.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ hgfj


    "There’s no evidence that there’s no god and trying to embarrass those that do believe just makes you look like a bully."


    And what about the bullies who tell children there is a god and if you dont believe then you suffer in hell for eternity?


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,756 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    splinter65 wrote: »
    Ricky is one of the sacred cows.
    You can’t critisice him.
    The Office and Extras are genius. An Idiot Abroad is great crack, but no more or less then some other comedians.
    What’s restraining him in my opinion is that he’s exhausted himself with his obsession with trying to convince himself and everyone else that there’s no God. It’s pointless. There’s no evidence that there’s no god and trying to embarrass those that do believe just makes you look like a bully.
    Move on to something else.
    And the evidence that there is a god is what?
    He is entitled to his opinions as are you.



    He gets plenty of criticism (this show has gotten mixed to positive reviews I would say).
    A sacred cow to who exactly?



    I am not mad into the office or extras but I loved this, funny and sad in equal measure, with a fantastic cast.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭ splinter65


    gmisk wrote: »
    And the evidence that there is a god is what?
    He is entitled to his opinions as are you.



    He gets plenty of criticism (this show has gotten mixed to positive reviews I would say).
    A sacred cow to who exactly?



    I am not mad into the office or extras but I loved this, funny and sad in equal measure, with a fantastic cast.

    Of course he’s entitled to his opinion. I don’t believe in astrology or reincarnation or Allah or that D Trump is the devil or that the government are trying to poison our children with vaccines. But I don’t spend all my time and energy trying to change people’s minds, or any time and energy at all, until I appear exasperated and frustrated. That’s how Ricky appears, imo. Because I can’t disprove anything and neither can he.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭ splinter65


    hgfj wrote: »
    "There’s no evidence that there’s no god and trying to embarrass those that do believe just makes you look like a bully."


    And what about the bullies who tell children there is a god and if you dont believe then you suffer in hell for eternity?

    What about them? Frightening children was wrong, it doesn’t happen any more but it was wrong. Ridiculing people for their beliefs is wrong too. It’s not funny any more either. What’s your point?


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,756 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    splinter65 wrote: »
    Of course he’s entitled to his opinion. I don’t believe in astrology or reincarnation or Allah or that D Trump is the devil or that the government are trying to poison our children with vaccines. But I don’t spend all my time and energy trying to change people’s minds, or any time and energy at all, until I appear exasperated and frustrated. That’s how Ricky appears, imo. Because I can’t disprove anything and neither can he.
    Genuine question have you actually watched the show?

    Or are you just criticising him based on his standup or what?


  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ hgfj


    splinter65 wrote: »
    What about them? Frightening children was wrong, it doesn’t happen any more but it was wrong. Ridiculing people for their beliefs is wrong too. It’s not funny any more either. What’s your point?






    I think my point is pretty obvious. You make the point that embarrassing someone by telling them there is no god is being a bully. If I believed in god and someone said to me there is no god, why would i be embarrassed? I'd disargee but why would i be embarrassed? On the other hand as a child being told I would suffer in hell for not believing (which is what i was told as a child) is an act of pyschological abuse.

    You say that doesn't happen any more. Maybe not in Ireland, I don't know, but it happens the world over in many religous societies.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ Grey Fox


    splinter65 wrote: »
    Ricky is one of the sacred cows.
    You can’t critisice him.
    The Office and Extras are genius. An Idiot Abroad is great crack, but no more or less then some other comedians.
    What’s restraining him in my opinion is that he’s exhausted himself with his obsession with trying to convince himself and everyone else that there’s no God. It’s pointless. There’s no evidence that there’s no god and trying to embarrass those that do believe just makes you look like a bully.
    Move on to something else.
    Oh I love the office, and extras is prob my favourite of all time. Theres no doubting Ricky's talent as a writer, but After Life doesnt come anywhere near those imo. There are lots of laughs, but the emotional bits do not work.


  • Posts: 0 ✭✭✭ Nash Mealy Swinger


    I enjoyed this. Not perfect, not subtle, but for a relatively quick watch it was worth my while. Some well-written characters too.

    It came to the point early on for me though where I wanted to grab Gervais' character (Tony) and shout "Everyone has problems or lost loved ones FFS!"...but I guess that was the point of the
    conclusion

    The "You're my boy" scene with his Dad completely floored me. I thought I was after getting through the series unscathed, then that scene came and it was just way too familiar.

    For me, his character in this was a little too close to Andy Millman in Extras. Brilliant show, but I've already seen a cynical Ricky Gervais in character preach about fame-chasing. He did that brilliantly in the finale of Extras, but I don't think this show needed it.

    He's a brilliant writer and has a watchable quality, but he has played Ricky Gervais for every show outside of The Office and Derek now. Even his few leading movie roles and cameos from the 00s, it's all just Ricky Gervais reacting to the world or situations.

    Finally, it wasn't a perfectly written show. For example, they were aiming for some kind of redemption for Tony in the final episode, but for me nothing can redeem him after
    he gave the junkie the money to kill himself
    - Yes, that character got exactly what he wanted and asked for, Tony understood his pain and wanted to help put him out of it, but it was still inexcusable and a step too far for me to be on Tony's side at the end.


  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭ yerwanthere123


    Have watched the first two episodes so far, really enjoying it. Best moment as of yet:
    "What? He is a not a fat, hairy, nosy cocksucker. Bad girl Brandy. Sorry about that!"


    :pac::pac::pac:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭ partyjungle


    Have one episode left. I'm enjoying it. Its quite touching and funny.

    I'm finding it tough to suspend my disbelief though. It feels like Ricky Gervais is playing himself. I love Gervais' humour so that's actually a plus for me in some ways. He isn't a dramatic actor by any stretch of the imagination. The world is an alternate reality where nobody interacts with each other like they do in real life. Majority of characters feel like caricatures. That works fine in a straight up comedy, but in a drama, it doesn't feel real at all. Once you can see past that, its still very enjoyable.


Advertisement