Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**World Record attempt**

• 24-03-2019 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

**World Record attempt**

for the longest time time playing a FPS video game online

Already 48 hours playing time in, he is taking a well earned rest by building up 10 minutes rest time every hour he is attempting to smash the existing record of 135 hours by an Australian playing CoD this time the game is BF V and Northern Ireland

His feed can be watched on twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/ni_oldskool

Give NI_Old Skool support by watching and sharing his feed

Posted this on the Battlefield V thread, and posting this here for all gamers to see

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

How can someone stay awake that long, not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

ShaneU wrote: »
    How can someone stay awake that long, not healthy.

You can die from it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was dozing off watching it. :)

Imagine playing BFV for 48 hours :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pointless record. No one will ever care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Coming up to 63 hours playing time now...

Pointless record. No one will ever care.
    in your opinion...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I remember watching Koibu on Twitch some time ago who used to do these Marathon streams on a regular basis - 48 hours with no break were quite regular for him. I live my sleep too much to try such madness :P The medical advice he received before attempting a 5 day stream was "don't do this without making sure you get up and walk around every hour to prevent DVT, make sure you drink lots of water and don't just eat sugar and drink energy drinks and finally, don't do this regularly, but as long as you get a normal week's sleep afterwards, you should be ok."

I mean, as world records go, it's about as daft as most others :) Good luck to the lad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

pegasus1 wrote: »
    in your opinion...

In many of our opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Coming up to 63 hours playing time now...

Only another 72 to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Longest I've ever managed to play one game was a Final Fantasy game one summer as a teenager, must have put in somewhere between 18/20 hours into it. Started one morning and didnt finish up until well into the AM the next day.

If I had less responsibilities, I'd nearly do it some Saturday/Sunday but I couldnt do it on a FPS or an online game.

Maybe an RPG or Football Manager.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Longest I've ever managed to play one game was a Final Fantasy game one summer as a teenager, must have put in somewhere between 18/20 hours into it. Started one morning and didnt finish up until well into the AM the next day.

If I had less responsibilities, I'd nearly do it some Saturday/Sunday but I couldnt do it on a FPS or an online game.

Maybe an RPG or Football Manager.

Pffft noob

When GTA Vice City came out (and I was a much younger man than I am now), I think I did around the 18 hour mark with it - I was seeing the streets zipping by in the carpet when I was going to bed at that stage, so probably a bit too long :D I also bolloxed my wrists from having the vibration turned on and I have to turn it off all the time now or that pain comes back.

I played about 6 uninterrupted hours of Banished yesterday, not bad for an old fart :P

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Regardless, it's not fair to spit on an achievement

He's just playing a game for a long period of time. Notwithstanding having to stay awake there's nothing particularly admirable or skillful about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not uncommon for me to regularly play for 12 or even 24 hours at times. I'm the type of person who will only sleep when they're tired (not much of a routine), and sometimes it's just not feasible to go to sleep at 7-8am (after playing around the clock), so I'd just stay up until doing so becomes a struggle. This is both a hobby and a profession to me, so it always interests me and as such, when your mind is engaged you often just don't get (as) tired. However, that is just a relaxed attitude to sleep (I love my bed but I'm not going to get into it unless I feel tired enough). I know if I said I wanted to (willingly/intentionally) stay up that long then I'd find it pretty rough.

Regardless, it's not fair to spit on an achievement even if it doesn't interest you as it is doing no harm nor has any effect on people. Reminds me of when I pumped hundreds of hours into a certain game with a co-op partner constantly striving for World Records. We achieved two, but also accepted that they were short-lived as competition was rife (and we're not talking guiness world records or something memorable, just world leaderboards). The road to achieving them was fun and I gained memories I won't soon forget - doesn't matter to me that Joe Soap and Joe Bloggs don't even play the game, nevermind care for any achievements involved with them.

Except that staying awake for long periods of time is NOT HEALTHY - there's plenty of literature to support this viewpoint.

In addition, he's just playing the game(s) so there's nothing noteworthy other than time investment.
    It's not on the level of someone playing an arcade game for hours without dying, or beating 260 opponents in a row in Street Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Nollog

I thought twitch didn't let people stream that long

Only another 72 to go...

Its going to be a lot longer than that by the end..

Reminds me of when I pumped hundreds of hours into a certain game with a co-op partner constantly striving for World Records. We achieved two, but also accepted that they were short-lived as competition was rife (and we're not talking guiness world records or something memorable, just world leaderboards).

Its an official Guinness world record attemt
    He's just playing a game for a long period of time. Notwithstanding having to stay awake there's nothing particularly admirable or skillful about that.

After 72 ish hours he is still in the top 3 and still a healthy k/d rate per game and nigh on always the top squad
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Except that staying awake for long periods of time is NOT HEALTHY - there's plenty of literature to support this viewpoint.

He has well prepared himself with proper food/vitamins etc..
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    I thought twitch didn't let people stream that long

well its been going an going... a few drop outs but it back up very sharpish

What happens when he loses all his lives, does the time reset to 00:00?

After 72 ish hours he is still in the top 3 and still a healthy k/d rate per game and nigh on always the top squad

So what? It's not a requirement of the record to be good, just play. I could arguably load in, hold down A and spin in a circle for X number of hours till I surpassed his time and take his 'record'. Whoopdedoo. Might even occasionally press D and spin the other way for variety.

Sure, but that's his choice and only harms themselves. Comments like this remind me of the type of people who'll constantly point out to smokers that smoking is bad for them, or how much sugar is in a chocolate bar someone is willingly chewing on.

The comment of mine that you quoted was regarding MY World Record shenanigans, not whatever is going on in that stream.

So what? Those who aren't interested don't have to watch it or get involved in any way whatsoever. There's nothing to be gained by sitting on the side-line (well, not even on the side-line, more like looking at the side-line from a neighbouring window) and bewailing how it isn't memorable. I could care less what it is - doesn't mean I wouldn't wish them luck with it and hope it was worth the time for them.

I'm not debating the worth (or lack of) the goal in question - I'm saying: you don't care about X. That's perfectly fine, but some people don't care that you don't care about X :P

Well I don't care about you not caring that I don't care!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Don't think it's that bad tbh. If he builds up his rest time and uses most of it to sleep, eats and drinks properly he'll be alright.

Wait so he is allowed 10 minutes of rest per hour? Seems a bit arbitrary

Sure, but that's his choice and only harms themselves. Comments like this remind me of the type of people who'll constantly point out to smokers that smoking is bad for them, or how much sugar is in a chocolate bar someone is willingly chewing on.

The comment of mine that you quoted was regarding MY World Record shenanigans, not whatever is going on in that stream.

So what? Those who aren't interested don't have to watch it or get involved in any way whatsoever. There's nothing to be gained by sitting on the side-line (well, not even on the side-line, more like looking at the side-line from a neighbouring window) and bewailing how it isn't memorable. I could care less what it is - doesn't mean I wouldn't wish them luck with it and hope it was worth the time for them.

I'm not debating the worth (or lack of) the goal in question - I'm saying: you don't care about X. That's perfectly fine, but some people don't care that you don't care about X :P

Encouraging muppet behaviour does no-one any favours.

Likewise, encouraging unhealthy gaming "records" like this shouldn't be done.

Wait so he is allowed 10 minutes of rest per hour? Seems a bit arbitrary

arbritary, yes. But probably insisted on by Guinness World Records (tm) to be considered as an 'official' record.

they discontinued the 'worlds heaviest pet cat' record a few years ago because of animal welfare issues...

Edit, after a quick google i found this, from 2015

60 years on, the categories that Guinness World Records no longer monitors
    jack-keys-beer-guinness-world-records_tcm25-393760.jpg
    Jack Keyes, 23 of Londonderry, Northern Ireland was celebrated in the 1970 book for drinking 36 pints in 60 minutes in Blackpool, Lancashire, UK in 1969

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When I was younger, if the game was good enough and the parents were gone for the weekend, I'd often stay awake after school on Friday and play through until Sunday night without a proper break. Thinking of it in my head now, I probably wouldn't be able to do it again, but I had no intoxicants back then, whereas now I do and that definitely takes time off!

Fair play to him, as long as he's not harming himself or others, let him at it.

When I was younger, if the game was good enough and the parents were gone for the weekend, I'd often stay awake after school on Friday and play through until Sunday night without a proper break. Thinking of it in my head now, I probably wouldn't be able to do it again, but I had no intoxicants back then, whereas now I do and that definitely takes time off!

Fair play to him, as long as he's not harming himself or others, let him at it.

But he is harming himself.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation#Physiological_effects
    https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/10-results-sleep-loss#1
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/307334.php

That's for prolonged and habitual lack of sleep, the guy isn't doing this to himself on a daily basis. Every one of the sources you linked to talks about chronic lack of sleep or sleep disorders. That's not what's happening here.

Whilst you'd never find a doctor who'd say this was "ok," they're unlikely to call what the guy is doing legitimately harmful to his overall health.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So what? It's not a requirement of the record to be good, just play. I could arguably load in, hold down A and spin in a circle for X number of hours till I surpassed his time and take his 'record'. Whoopdedoo. Might even occasionally press D and spin the other way for variety.

If it was that easy, or allowed by the Guinness book of records, everyone would be at it.

Feel free to give it a go though after this player, let us know how you get on. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,766 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's guys out there getting world record high scores on old arcade machines by playing them non stop over a few days making sure to rack up enough bonus lives to go on toilet breaks. And then there's this which in comparison is not impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's guys out there getting world record high scores on old arcade machines by playing them non stop over a few days making sure to rack up enough bonus lives to go on toilet breaks. And then there's this which in comparison is not impressive.

Agree with you. He gets 4 hours sleep every 24hours. Eat and drink on the go have a pee bucket beside you and ur good to go.
    In fact I complete this record without gaming.
    I barely get 4hours sleep 5 to 6 days a week cause my kid has a disorder which keeps him up all night he's like a zombie and sleeps bits and pieces during the day.
    So if I record my work week does it count?
    I'm like a cranky ****er when i wake up but after abit of food and coffee im good to go.

I'd be more impressed if there was no breaks but obviously that would kill you but with the amount if time giving in breaks this record is pointless

Advertisement