Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He works in mysterious ways...

Options
  • 21-03-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭

A school in Newbridge, Kildare has written to parents to apologise after an incident where a number of students received burns on their foreheads when being given blessed ashes last week for Ash Wednesday.
    The priest who administered the ashes separately wrote to them explaining that it “remains somewhat of a mystery as to why or how this happened”, as he also apologised.

https://www.thejournal.ie/newbridge-ash-burns-4541116-Mar2019/

A punishment for their sins or the work of a diabhail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Nah. It's only a mystery to the priest because he believes in BS rather than science. Probably can't even use a computer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26478900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Stupid science, always with the answers.

I had hoped Kildare was about to see a plague of locusts or some frog rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Effects wrote: »
    Nah. It's only a mystery to the priest because he believes in BS rather than science. Probably can't even use a computer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26478900
    Stupid science, always with the answers.

I had hoped Kildare was about to see a plague of locusts or some frog rain.

So edgy. Down with religion.

Oh wait. What's this?
    After people complained of "a burning sensation", the priests brought samples of the ashes for scientific testing to find out what had happened.

It's almost like you can have faith in an ideology AND seek scientific evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Circuital wrote: »

Oh wait. What's this?

It's almost like you can have faith in an ideology AND seek scientific evidence.

hahahaha BURRRRRRRRN!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The ashes were blessed with fire and brimstone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Almost all of the kids were called Damien, except for two, one was called Donald and the other, John Waters.

Am I imagining this or did I read this story - or one exactly like it - a few years ago?

Has it actually happened again? Or was an old story mistakenly regurgitated?

EDIT: Ah I see "Effects" above already beat me to it - with his link from 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

It's almost like you can have an unscientific belief in a pile unproven nonsense, and also need to seek scientifict evidence to protect yourself from potential litigation.. the aul courts aren't too hot on the JEBUS DID IT defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Edgy and radical stuff here today. With the 2019 anti Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did he place them in a microwave before applying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Actually I see NO ONE with ashes on their forehead over the last few years, it's good to see, when I was a kid you would see it a lot on ash wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Indeed, allthough I am no Catholic supporter I find it appears to be the last religion you can slag off and not be labeled a "bigot" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Oh wait. What's this?

Jesus lads, any sense of humour at all or does your Godly work sap all sense of joy from your lives?

Article was posted in jest, not as a way to take down the Catholic church. Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

How I loved that big ashy cross on the forehead when I was a child. Made me feel like some medieval mendicant, super holy or something. Eye of Shiva style. It's very Gothic. I used to make my own ashen mix for use later in the day when the first one wore off. Though I would keep my head quite still and allow no hugs or kisses or close contact of any sort in case people rubbed it off too soon. That cold detachment from other people made me feel even holier.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Of the person who applied the ashes, did their fingers fall off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

How is being anti-religion or athiest "edgy" in this day and age? It's been a fairly large movement for quite a while.

Many people in Ireland have grown to hate the church for the specific atrocities they are responsible for here and abroad. Clearly it's not a small number of young edgelords..

and yet I still see a folk responding "edgy" when any sort of anti-relgious sentiment is being espoused.

I guess that's the best they can come up and they think it's clever, akin to a "your ma" reply to any sort of insult.. but about religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

If I walked through the archway of a church I'd burn to a crisp...

I'd hovel in standing in a metal bucket, then there wouldn't be much left to sweep up....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Indeed, allthough I am no Catholic supporter I find it appears to be the last religion you can slag off and not be labeled a "bigot" ...

The Prods get a slaggin.
    The Jews. Usually by other Jews though,not sure how it would go otherwise.
    Islam is constantly berated,and the followers called all sorts.
    The more obscure stuff like the Mormons or Scientologists get it in the neck.

Can't think of any more off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

kneemos wrote: »
    The Prods get a slaggin...

That's what you get when you keep toasters in cupboards, I mean come on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

jimgoose wrote: »

Ahem, Mr Goose, I seem to recall on the Eyebrows thread that you called Mrs Goose a 'Toaster' this morning...do you have something you need to tell us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's like Jews bashing on Jews.

Anyone who was Confirmed is a Catholic for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

You're supposed to wait for the ashes to cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

jimgoose wrote: »

Where else would you store one?
    You're supposed to wait for the ashes to cool down.

Serious question. Are they actually warm when you receive them? I would have thought that they were cold. Any idea where they get them from? It's not just ashes from a fire out the back, I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Berserker wrote: »
    ...Any idea where they get them from? It's not just ashes from a fire out the back, I'm guessing.

Burned palm leaves. From palms blessed the previous year's Palm Sunday.

Here's more on it: http://time.com/4685462/ash-wednesday-ashes-lent-easter/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Berserker wrote: »
    Serious question. Are they actually warm when you receive them?
    I would have thought that they were cold.
    Any idea where they get them from? It's not just ashes from a fire out the back, I'm guessing.
    As far as I remember they're cold, I was just being an arse.
    According to the article they burn tree leaves to get them.

Dr Strange wrote: »
    Burned palm leaves. From palms blessed the previous year's Palm Sunday.

Here's more on it: http://time.com/4685462/ash-wednesday-ashes-lent-easter/

A HA! They're blessed ashes.

Makes them better.

You sound like one of those self loathing hipsters who thinks it's cool to hate on people who don't like religion.
    Anyone who was Confirmed is a Catholic for life.

Nah, there was a window where you could leave. They closed it about ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe they were all on the devil's side.

Effects wrote: »
    You sound like one of those self loathing hipsters who thinks it's cool to hate on people who don't like religion.

Nah, there was a window where you could leave. They closed it about ten years ago.

How does GDPR relate to their collection of data?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    How does GDPR relate to their collection of data?

Not sure, but I heard something on RTE one where a parent has stopped a school from having kids illustrating their sins in school work art for reasons of breaching GDPR and breaking the seal of confession.

Advertisement