Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Odhinn wrote: »
    They seemed to be flying the notion that there should be some more education on Islam in schools. Given some of the horrific ****e that passes as commentary in the public sphere its not a bad notion. Nor is it replacing the church with Islam.

I actually hope you're correct, but you are naive to believe this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I actually hope you're correct, but you are naive to believe this is the case.

No, it's fairly straightforward. The push is on to get the church out of state schools, and there's no way any rational person could imagine it being replaced by islam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

They seemed to be flying the notion that there should be some more education on Islam in schools. Given some of the horrific ****e that passes as commentary in the public sphere its not a bad notion. Nor is it replacing the church with Islam.

It does seem to be a leap from a school teaching:
    Roman Catholics believe : xxxxxx
    Jews believe: xxxxxx
    Buddhists believe: xxxxx
    Muslims believe : xxxxx
    Anglicans believe : xxxxx
    Athiests believe : xxxx

to Islam will replace Roman Catholicism as the only religion taught in schools.

As a by the by when my son was a small fella in primary school he attended the local national school in Hackney. They had a policy that the children would visit local places of worship and one of the children who was a member of that faith would explain to the others all about it. We are talking 4/5 year olds so I imagine it wasn't a deep discussion of theology.
    When my Irish son turned up they were delighted to finally have a Roman Catholic as all the RC kids went to the mono-denominational RC school. They looked both embarrassed and crest-fallen when I told them we aren't RC. He, however being a born wind-up merchant, volunteered to perform this service as his Nana had taken him to Mass and the Stations of The Cross. To this day I dread what a group of now in their 30s adults still think Roman Catholics believe.

If schools are going to teach religion they should teach about all religions without favour. No commentary on who is right or wrong. Simply this is what people of this religion believe. A little education can go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

It seems that the "hero" of the Italian bus hijack was a kid of Arabic background. He managed to covertly make the rescue call. Given that he and his family have been resident in Italy since 2005, maybe Salvini will give them citizenship now.
    Someone else can post the Brietbart link - here's the BBC one :
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47653500

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No, it's fairly straightforward. The push is on to get the church out of state schools, and there's no way any rational person could imagine it being replaced by islam.

It's the same nonsensical ramblings the likes of this racist cowardly murderer whip themselves into a frenzy over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Boggles wrote: »
    It's the same nonsensical ramblings the likes of this racist cowardly murderer whip themselves into a frenzy over.

If you could stop trying to make nonsensical equivalents between ordinary people who post on this forum and a vile mass murderer that would be great.

Zorya wrote: »
    If you could stop trying to make nonsensical equivalents between ordinary people who post on this forum and a vile mass murderer that would be great.

Your grand, if someone is going to push the same tropes as the scumbag this forum is largely about then I am more than entitled to call it out.

That okay?

If you have a problem, report, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

New Zealand bookshop has banned Jordan Petersons book in response to the attacks.
    How can they even BEGIN to blame JP for this ?

No idea

Eanqj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Your grand, if someone is going to push the same tropes as the scumbag this forum is largely about then I am more than entitled to call it out.

That okay?

You are probably closer to Tarrant in outlook than most others here.

The horseshoe theory of politics is more relevant now than in decades.

That okay?

Heh. What is actually worrisome is you choosing to spend time on a forum where you seem convinced that some of the people you are communicating with can be compared in any way with that monster in NZ. That is an odd choice.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    No idea

Eanqj.png

Nothing wrong with despising an unreformed religion, same as nothing wrong with despising the non identical twins of fascism and communism.

Belief systems are not off limits.

Danzy wrote: »
    You are probably closer to Tarrant in outlook than most others here.

I have zero in common with a child murderer or his outlook.

Please don't infer that again.

I have zero in common with a child murderer or his outlook.

Please don't infer that again.

You think you have little in common with him, yet...

As I've said, I ain't his fan, but anyone with a titter of wit knows what happened in that photo. He gave his lecture, stood in the promotion place or whatever and every 4 or 5 seconds someone steps up for the photo and couple of words. He has said it could be hundreds in an evening. Most likely that is the context of the evidence, your honour.

Heh. What is actually worrisome is you choosing to spend time on a forum where you seem convinced that some of the people you are communicating with can be compared in any way with that monster in NZ. That is an odd choice.

I think the reverse is "odder".

But Heh this thread isn't about me.

So as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Banning books..... how stunning and brave, wonder where we saw that before.

As I've said, I ain't his fan, but anyone with a titter of wit knows what happened in that photo. He gave his lecture, stood in the promotion place or whatever and every 4 or 5 seconds someone steps up for the photo and couple of words. He has said it could be hundreds in an evening. Most likely that is the context of the evidence, your honour.

I have no idea who this JP guy is -and care less - but rather than place his arm around the shoulder of Mr Proud Islamophobe was he precluded in some way from saying "Nope, can't be doing with that t-shirt and it's message mate. Off you toddle and take a selfie far far away from me." ???

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have no idea who this JP guy is -and care less - but rather than place his arm around the shoulder of Mr Proud Islamophobe was he precluded in some way from saying "Nope, can't be doing with that t-shirt and it's message mate. Off you toddle and take a selfie far far away from me." ???

Maybe like most people he doesn’t really care what kinda shirt the guy is wearing? He’s not their mother, the guy was a fan and came up for a photo this was pulled up before with JP when he took a photo with a couple of young fellas with a Pepe flag. He’s not responsible for the people he meets day to day, the fact he spends so much time meeting people who admire him to me says fairly positive things about the guy.

I have no idea who is either, but I think the guy in the t-shirt was at a talk he was given or something, which leads me to believe the talk was just pure Ace!

:)

Yeah, maybe ill advised move if he had read the shirt in first place, should have said no probably. But stuff happens, Gaybo chatted away to Sinead after she tore the picture on his show, and I think he is still a national treasure, far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Maybe like most people he doesn’t really care what kinda shirt the guy is wearing? He’s not their mother, the guy was a fan and came up for a photo this was pulled up before with JP when he took a photo with a couple of young fellas with a Pepe flag. He’s not responsible for the people he meets day to day, the fact he spends so much time meeting people who admire him to me says fairly positive things about the guy.
    Pretty sure plenty would refuse to get a photo with that guy. In much the same way as they wouldn't appear in one where a person said they're a proud racist or anti semite.

You really believe a privately owned chain of book stores deciding to no longer stock a particular author is the same thing as what is happening in your Godwin photo?

Do you not think it is up to a private company to decide for themselves what stock they wish to sell?

May surprise to learn the Irish government has banned books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You really believe a privately owned chain of book stores deciding to no longer stock a particular author is the same thing as what is happening in your Godwin photo?

Do you not think it is up to a private company to decide for themselves what stock they wish to sell?

Pretty sure the book will continue to be readily available on the likes of amazon. More a shop choosing to take an ethical stand. Places have done it for decades in one way or another for decades. They don't seem to get that.

So if a person, say an Iman who lives in Ireland, who had just given a talk was to have his photo taken next to Mustafa Proud ISISmember you would be just peachy about that?

batgoat wrote: »
    Pretty sure the book will continue to be readily available on the likes of amazon. More a shop choosing to take an ethical stand. Places have done it for decades in one way or another for decades. They don't seem to get that.

Yup. The chain may be making a ethical stand or it may be thinking we are going to lose a truck load of regular customers if we stock this or a combination of both.

Still a far cry from the book being banned by the Gubbermint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That's a false equivalence as well you must know. One book retailer decides it's not going to stock Jordan Peterson's books - not a decision I agree with but that's neither here nor there - it's got nothing to do with the state itself.

Gaybo chatted away to Sinead after she tore the picture on his show

Gaybo never hosted Saturday Night Live, As far as I am aware.

Yeah, maybe ill advised move if he had read the shirt in first place, should have said no probably. But stuff happens, Gaybo chatted away to Sinead after she tore the picture on his show, and I think he is still a national treasure, far as I know.

Didn't she do that on Saturday Night Live??

And it destroyed her career in the U.S - but as far as I am aware didn't encourage any one to open fire on any Popes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We know how the photo was taken, the link here is not the photo itself. It's that the sort of stuff the shooter was listening to was JP.

Just as well no books have been banned here.

• Advertisement

It’s the wrong way to approach this tragedy, it plays into the idea a lot of the alt right guys have of the whole globalist world being against them. They’ll point to the books being banned, call to prayer being played on Friday and assault weapons being banned as reason for them being treated differently when they “fight back”. We’re giving them all the ammunition they need to justify their beliefs. When the attacks in France were done there so no books banned, no individual philosopher or YouTube figures blamed for legitimizing the sort of people who did this shooting. This is playing right into their hands.

Advertisement