Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anything like peleton in Ireland

• 18-03-2019 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

Does anyone know any companies offering a service like the online spinning like peleton in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if it's online what to stop you using the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

Is a subscription service with online live streaming classes. You pay monthly fee etc and the app is linked to your bike so no way to get around it as far as I can see.

Are you saying the issue is you can't get the bike shipped to Ireland? Or they won't accept subscriptions outside Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a bit of googling, peleton seem to use a proprietary stationary bike that doesn't ship to all countries.

i don't know why you'd sign up for this when there are non-proprietary hardware manufacturers available everywhere, plugging into services that aren't geographically restricted.

If you really want it you could have the bike shipped to Ireland using parcel motel (depending on size of parcel)
    If you need a UK debit card to sign up open an account with revolut.

Alternatively if you have a road bike and want to exercise indoors and not spend a fortune just get a smart turbo trainer and a zwift subscription and take part in the group rides.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a bit of googling, peleton seem to use a proprietary stationary bike
    btw, from this alone (not directed at the OP), you'd need to be not right in the head to order a peleton bike. what happens if the company goes bust?

Peleton come and set up the bike for you so you can't use parcel wizard etc.

My question really was are there online spinning sessions which there appears to be from above replies. I m only interested in peleton as heard great reports online etc. I just want something I can do at home as I can't make it out of the house to a spin class regularly and I used to love them.

Does it have to be live? I understand live may be more engaging but youtube has loads of spinning videos.
    All you would need is a cheap road bike and turbo trainer.

No it doesn't have to be live. I ll look up turbo trainer and getting a cheap bike, much cheaper way to do it! Thanks

I know nothing about spinning only that it's not for me. Peleton ads are all kinds of cringe.

Just asked my partner had she heard of any such online services as she does spin class sometimes and she said Studio Sweat on Demand was one she knew of but not sure if it's available here.

• Advertisement

Cool, there are also cheap spin bikes you could buy but of course the road bike have the advantage that you can take it off the turbo if you ever do find the time to head outside.
    Also have a look at zwift, I don't know if it's for you as it's aimed at road cyclists but it's a great way to get fit. You would need a smart turbo to use zwift. Zwift is only €10 a month and there are several group rides everyday.

No it doesn't have to be live. I ll look up turbo trainer and getting a cheap bike, much cheaper way to do it! Thanks

In that case try youtube bound to be stuff there for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Have I gone insane, I'm sure this is inane drivile, cycling online? The world is so ****ed it's not funny.

you've never heard of a turbo trainer?

you've never heard of a turbo trainer?

He's been trolling multiple forums tonight, must be drunk or forgot his meds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Given this outfit Peleton is the same company that tried to prosecute YouTuber Shane Miller for the use of the word “Peleton” they’ve totally ruled themselves off my shopping list. How any company can claim exclusivity of a word like Peleton is beyond me.

https://road.cc/content/news/253747-indoor-cycling-brand-peloton-threatens-youtuber-legal-action-using-word-peloton

Get yourself a cheap Bike, Wahoo, iPad and Zwift. You’ll have a future proof setup that you can use outdoors and you won’t be enriching Peleton.

Thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated.

No problem, if you need any more help just get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

AmberGold wrote: »
    Given this outfit Peleton is the same company that tried to prosecute YouTuber Shane Miller for the use of the word “Peleton” they’ve totally ruled themselves off my shopping list. How any company can claim exclusivity of a word like Peleton is beyond me.

https://road.cc/content/news/253747-indoor-cycling-brand-peloton-threatens-youtuber-legal-action-using-word-peloton

Get yourself a cheap Bike, Wahoo, iPad and Zwift. You’ll have a future proof setup that you can use outdoors and you won’t be enriching Peleton.

Was pretty shocked to read about this earlier in the year, will stick with Zwift given its (current) easy access to join.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Peleton are being sued for the unlawful use of over 1000 songs. This is a crowd who have also tried to sue some competitors out of business, sued a layperson for using the term Peleton in something and tried to copyright the word Peleton, and have ben sued by the designer of their bikes for infringing copyright.

They seem like an awful shower to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Peleton come and set up the bike for you so you can't use parcel wizard etc.

My question really was are there online spinning sessions which there appears to be from above replies. I m only interested in peleton as heard great reports online etc. I just want something I can do at home as I can't make it out of the house to a spin class regularly and I used to love them.

All I have heard are terrible reports about them bar the self promotion and advertorials they were producing in the US. Wouldn't touch them as I don't see them lasting the year. Get a turbo and a bike, if you were thinking of Peloton then you could afford a really high end Turbo. Loads of Spinning classes on youtube to use if you just want the spin classes angle rather than the racing aspect like zwift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jesus Christ people, it's pelOton.

No it's pelo-TONE, thats how king Kelly says it so it must be right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Had to search boards for this...

Was watching ITV and a very glossy add for Peleton came on at half time in the rugby - thought to myself gosh, that's a very fancy add for an at home turbo trainer.

Then the Sunday Times carried an article about how this company just listed on the Nasdaq at a market cap of a mere $8 BILLION, with such illuminati investors such as Bono and others having pumped money in. This co. had revenue of US$900m and made a LOSS of US$190m.

But apparantly they're revolutionising fitness or some such.

Is all it takes to make a few billion nowadays to come up with glossy marketing?

I'm flabbergasted at this, especially while Zwift carry on doing something in someway revolutionary and at a pretty good price!

I'm lost for words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

mollser wrote: »
    ....this company just listed on the Nasdaq at a market cap of a mere $8 BILLION, with such illuminati investors such as Bono and others having pumped money in. This co. had revenue of US$900m and made a LOSS of US$190m.

You aint seen nothing yet, wait till the sales of the expensive rigs dries up and all they have to sustain the business is a monthly sub. That when the sh1t will hit the fan and their losses will likely soar......

I'm sure Bono will be alright .......at least Peleton beats cycling around on New York streets. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hoggy1983

It looks like alot of those criticising haven't actually tried it. I've used it via hotels when I've travelled and I genuinely rate it as it motivated me to exercise when I otherwise wouldn't. The price is steep but can be justified if you're going to use it regularly over a 2 year period. It also appeals to me as I have a young family and heading out for 2 hours isn't going to happen.

The key thing is the live classes with the associated community and competition. That's what you don't get from Youtube.

Zwift sounds good too although it's a different target base.

The music lawsuit has now been settled.

If they delivered to ROI I'd definitely get one. I'll do a bit more Zwift research in the meantime.

general rule of thumb - do not invest heavily in a proprietary bit of kit. there are plenty of options for this sort of exercise which does not tie you to a specific provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Get a bunch of people on the Zoom app using turbo trainers - there ya go, your own pelethon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hoggy1983 wrote: »
    It looks like alot of those criticising haven't actually tried it. I've used it via hotels when I've travelled and I genuinely rate it as it motivated me to exercise when I otherwise wouldn't. The price is steep but can be justified if you're going to use it regularly over a 2 year period. It also appeals to me as I have a young family and heading out for 2 hours isn't going to happen.

The key thing is the live classes with the associated community and competition. That's what you don't get from Youtube.

Zwift sounds good too although it's a different target base.

The music lawsuit has now been settled.

If they delivered to ROI I'd definitely get one. I'll do a bit more Zwift research in the meantime.

Its the outlay for something that already exists is the issue. Trainer road, Zwift, RGT, Wattbike and so on all do very similar things already. All bar Wattbike rely on bits of kit that you have an ability to sell on if you don't like,and even then, the wattbike works with a ton of other things so still a safer investment. A cheaper monthly subscription for most, PelOton seems to be close to 3 times the amount. The essential kit is at least 1000 more than the bare essentials of any of the other set ups (bar wattbike).

Its just a bit much IMO, for something that may turn out to be nothing more than a fad, at least the others have either established eg zwift, trainer road, wattbike and if they fail, the kit you have is useable elsewhere or resellable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

general rule of thumb - do not invest heavily in a proprietary bit of kit.
    So, I shouldn't invest in a $400 subscription based juicer that doesn't juice either?
    stoneill wrote: »
    Get a bunch of people on the Zoom app using turbo trainers - there ya go, your own pelethon.
    Sounds like a running race organised by a Brazilian footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

So, I shouldn't invest in a $400 subscription based juicer that doesn't juice either?

Sounds like a running race organised by a Brazilian footballer.

You could do that aswell.

that is absolutely hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Peleton = ~$2250 for the bike and $40 a month subscription not including a few other bits and bobs.

vs

$15 Zwift monthly sub
    1x BTW at 1000 (which can go on the road too!)
    Axle adaptor 30
    Dumb turbo – 150
    Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor 30
    Bluetooth dongle (and extender cable as their range is short) 30 (only needed if your phone/laptop doesn’t have bluetooth).
    On Zwift you have to tell it that you are on a “classic” aka dumb, turbo and match the type/model (Air/fluid/magnetic) and it’ll calculate your power output from the speed/cadence.

So you save a grand over the Peleton option and you can take it outside and get a proper ride in too. If you have a bike already your looking at about 200 quid.

It looks like alot of those criticising haven't actually tried it.
    worth noting this - the 'try it first' approach, on a proprietary platform where you've to pay someone else first to use it, is not an approach i would put much credit in.

• Advertisement

worth noting this - the 'try it first' approach, on a proprietary platform where you've to pay someone else first to use it, is not an approach i would put much credit in.

"For our Members in the U.K., we now offer a 30-Day Risk-Free Trial (Terms & Conditions apply). You will receive a full refund on the Bike, accessories (except apparel items), your £95 delivery fee and all Device subscription payments made since the delivery of your Bike, as long as you contact us to return your bike within 30 days of receiving your delivery."

I've also used the bike in hotels. So not paid a dime.

Any friends who have a bike can also create you a profile.

I've not bought a Peloton so I have no vested interest or need to defend it. But I get the appeal.

saccades wrote: »
    Peleton = ~$2250 for the bike and $40 a month subscription not including a few other bits and bobs.

vs

$15 Zwift monthly sub
    Axle adaptor 30
    Dumb turbo – 150
    Bluetooth dongle (and extender cable as their range is short) 30 (only needed if your phone/laptop doesn’t have bluetooth).
    On Zwift you have to tell it that you are on a “classic” aka dumb, turbo and match the type/model (Air/fluid/magnetic) and it’ll calculate your power output from the speed/cadence.

So you save a grand over the Peleton option and you can take it outside and get a proper ride in too. If you have a bike already your looking at about 200 quid.

Yep, but again you're not getting the Community aspect. The reviews I've seen on Zwift are "ok". We're social creatures and thats what you're paying for. The setup you mentioned definitely still has its appeals if you want to do the DIY and are a cyclist outdoors with a group of friends. (I'd love to but Irish roads are probably the most unsafe in Western Europe)

I've also used the bike in hotels. So not paid a dime.
    you had to pay the hotel though. unless there are hotels which allow you to shack up and use their facilities without paying a penny.

you had to pay the hotel though. unless there are hotels which allow you to shack up and use their facilities without paying a penny.

Ha! Ok you win. Ignore the other points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Yep, but again you're not getting the Community aspect. The reviews I've seen on Zwift are "ok". We're social creatures and thats what you're paying for. The setup you mentioned definitely still has its appeals if you want to do the DIY and are a cyclist outdoors with a group of friends. (I'd love to but Irish roads are probably the most unsafe in Western Europe)

That sounds like the goalposts being shuffled...

I am a dyed in the wool spin class spinner, I like the instructor at the front leading, I love the structured nature where every minute has been planned to get the most out of the session, but there not a lot of social interaction as I'm gurning out full power on a 5 minute climb to the sound of a Pearl Jam/EuroPop mashup.

Peleton is a lot of money for what it is, social aspect or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

vs

$15 Zwift monthly sub
    Axle adaptor 30
    Dumb turbo – 150

What’s a BTW? And what’s the best smart turbo trainer? I would t mind paying a bit more for one that’s more integrated into the APP

ctlsleh wrote: »
    What’s a BTW? And what’s the best smart turbo trainer? I would t mind paying a bit more for one that’s more integrated into the APP

Bike to Work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a special offer...
    RGT Cycling, the new innovative virtual cycling platform, has today announced that it is making all of its Premium features available for free to all indoor cyclists, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

link

That sounds like the goalposts being shuffled...

I am a dyed in the wool spin class spinner, I like the instructor at the front leading, I love the structured nature where every minute has been planned to get the most out of the session, but there not a lot of social interaction as I'm gurning out full power on a 5 minute climb to the sound of a Pearl Jam/EuroPop mashup.

Peleton is a lot of money for what it is, social aspect or not.

How much do you spend on spin classes a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

ctlsleh wrote: »

Tacx Neo / Flow or Wahoo Kickr probably the best out there. Availability was an issue the last time I looked.

Wattbike do an excercise bike (Atom) thou early versions were problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

we have one. got it shipped to NI then drove it down to dublin. there was one in our NY apartment building gym for a couple of years so we knew we would use it and not get sick of it quickly. my wife was the main decider so i left her go with it... she loves it. certainly it is expensive.

i like it a lot. if i have a 40 minute break between work calls i can jump on an on-demand ride, or see what is coming up as a live class over next few hours.

social is the obvious main draw. competing against the rest of users who have taken the class is very motivating. i lost this feature for a day or two when the clocks changed, and that showed me just how much i need it. i try to get in about top 10% of people who have taken the class. then like a normal race you will have people around you who you bump up and down on the leaderboard. i follow a bunch of old friends from USA so i can filter on just these if they have also taken the class. i'm into golf so i follow a lot of those guys, i can just about keep up with lee westwood but mcilroy is depressingly fast.
    it does very well at tracking against previous efforts, so you can target a personal best for each of the class times tracked separately, so you have a 20 min personal best and also a 30, 45 min etc. it's measured on output (cadence * resistance) so after 10 minutes my output might be 27, and it tracks that my personal best at this point in the past was, say, 29.

price is obviously a downside, also lack of availability in ireland. i'm concerned as to what might happen if the bike breaks. although dealings with customer care so far have been good. the classes may not be for everyone - particularly some of the girl instructors treat it like a therapy session. it can get a bit much at times. but you find the instructors you click with, just like anything else. it's a premium bit of kit, packaged very nicely at a premium price. not for everyone but there certainly seems to be a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

tropics001 wrote: »
    we have one. got it shipped to NI then drove it down to dublin. there was one in our NY apartment building gym for a couple of years so we knew we would use it and not get sick of it quickly. my wife was the main decider so i left her go with it... she loves it. certainly it is expensive.

i like it a lot. if i have a 40 minute break between work calls i can jump on an on-demand ride, or see what is coming up as a live class over next few hours.

social is the obvious main draw. competing against the rest of users who have taken the class is very motivating. i lost this feature for a day or two when the clocks changed, and that showed me just how much i need it. i try to get in about top 10% of people who have taken the class. then like a normal race you will have people around you who you bump up and down on the leaderboard. i follow a bunch of old friends from USA so i can filter on just these if they have also taken the class. i'm into golf so i follow a lot of those guys, i can just about keep up with lee westwood but mcilroy is depressingly fast.
    it does very well at tracking against previous efforts, so you can target a personal best for each of the class times tracked separately, so you have a 20 min personal best and also a 30, 45 min etc. it's measured on output (cadence * resistance) so after 10 minutes my output might be 27, and it tracks that my personal best at this point in the past was, say, 29.

price is obviously a downside, also lack of availability in ireland. i'm concerned as to what might happen if the bike breaks. although dealings with customer care so far have been good. the classes may not be for everyone - particularly some of the girl instructors treat it like a therapy session. it can get a bit much at times. but you find the instructors you click with, just like anything else. it's a premium bit of kit, packaged very nicely at a premium price. not for everyone but there certainly seems to be a market for it.

I've used it in hotels in the US and love it, hard to justify the price though as its also a lock-in and if PTON dont make it, then youre left with an expensive piece of metal, albeit really well made......i'm defintiely torn though vs a high end turbo trainer.......id love a PTON.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 munkytennis

I'm fascinated about getting a peleton bike using the website all the time but to know the results would be great. A few questions if you have a sec?

Does the app work down south?

did you have to get it shipped to an address in ni and set up by their tech on site or did they just ship it over ?

Thanks

j

I'm fascinated about getting a peleton bike using the website all the time but to know the results would be great. A few questions if you have a sec?

Does the app work down south?

did you have to get it shipped to an address in ni and set up by their tech on site or did they just ship it over ?

Thanks

j

I put my money where my mouth is and bought one.

No regrets at all and I've already used it 20 times in the past month.

The app will work globally although I was warned by the delivery team the peloton can sometimes check this.

I had a friends address lined up to use in Northern Ireland but managed to swing it so it got delivered to my home. Its a bit mad that they don't cover ROI as standard considering the bikes are sent out from Dublin!

You'll need a UK address to get started and pay though.

They will just deliver it 95% built. Word of warning if moving upstairs...weighs a tonne!

• Advertisement
Advertisement