Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anything like peleton in Ireland

• 18-03-2019 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Does anyone know any companies offering a service like the online spinning like peleton in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if it's online what to stop you using the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

Is a subscription service with online live streaming classes. You pay monthly fee etc and the app is linked to your bike so no way to get around it as far as I can see.

Are you saying the issue is you can't get the bike shipped to Ireland? Or they won't accept subscriptions outside Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a bit of googling, peleton seem to use a proprietary stationary bike that doesn't ship to all countries.

i don't know why you'd sign up for this when there are non-proprietary hardware manufacturers available everywhere, plugging into services that aren't geographically restricted.

If you really want it you could have the bike shipped to Ireland using parcel motel (depending on size of parcel)
    If you need a UK debit card to sign up open an account with revolut.

Alternatively if you have a road bike and want to exercise indoors and not spend a fortune just get a smart turbo trainer and a zwift subscription and take part in the group rides.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a bit of googling, peleton seem to use a proprietary stationary bike
    btw, from this alone (not directed at the OP), you'd need to be not right in the head to order a peleton bike. what happens if the company goes bust?

Peleton come and set up the bike for you so you can't use parcel wizard etc.

My question really was are there online spinning sessions which there appears to be from above replies. I m only interested in peleton as heard great reports online etc. I just want something I can do at home as I can't make it out of the house to a spin class regularly and I used to love them.

Does it have to be live? I understand live may be more engaging but youtube has loads of spinning videos.
    All you would need is a cheap road bike and turbo trainer.

No it doesn't have to be live. I ll look up turbo trainer and getting a cheap bike, much cheaper way to do it! Thanks

I know nothing about spinning only that it's not for me. Peleton ads are all kinds of cringe.

Just asked my partner had she heard of any such online services as she does spin class sometimes and she said Studio Sweat on Demand was one she knew of but not sure if it's available here.

• Advertisement

Cool, there are also cheap spin bikes you could buy but of course the road bike have the advantage that you can take it off the turbo if you ever do find the time to head outside.
    Also have a look at zwift, I don't know if it's for you as it's aimed at road cyclists but it's a great way to get fit. You would need a smart turbo to use zwift. Zwift is only €10 a month and there are several group rides everyday.

No it doesn't have to be live. I ll look up turbo trainer and getting a cheap bike, much cheaper way to do it! Thanks

In that case try youtube bound to be stuff there for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Have I gone insane, I'm sure this is inane drivile, cycling online? The world is so ****ed it's not funny.

you've never heard of a turbo trainer?

you've never heard of a turbo trainer?

He's been trolling multiple forums tonight, must be drunk or forgot his meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Given this outfit Peleton is the same company that tried to prosecute YouTuber Shane Miller for the use of the word “Peleton” they’ve totally ruled themselves off my shopping list. How any company can claim exclusivity of a word like Peleton is beyond me.

https://road.cc/content/news/253747-indoor-cycling-brand-peloton-threatens-youtuber-legal-action-using-word-peloton

Get yourself a cheap Bike, Wahoo, iPad and Zwift. You’ll have a future proof setup that you can use outdoors and you won’t be enriching Peleton.

Thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated.

No problem, if you need any more help just get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

AmberGold wrote: »
    Given this outfit Peleton is the same company that tried to prosecute YouTuber Shane Miller for the use of the word “Peleton” they’ve totally ruled themselves off my shopping list. How any company can claim exclusivity of a word like Peleton is beyond me.

https://road.cc/content/news/253747-indoor-cycling-brand-peloton-threatens-youtuber-legal-action-using-word-peloton

Get yourself a cheap Bike, Wahoo, iPad and Zwift. You’ll have a future proof setup that you can use outdoors and you won’t be enriching Peleton.

Was pretty shocked to read about this earlier in the year, will stick with Zwift given its (current) easy access to join.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Peleton are being sued for the unlawful use of over 1000 songs. This is a crowd who have also tried to sue some competitors out of business, sued a layperson for using the term Peleton in something and tried to copyright the word Peleton, and have ben sued by the designer of their bikes for infringing copyright.

They seem like an awful shower to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Peleton come and set up the bike for you so you can't use parcel wizard etc.

My question really was are there online spinning sessions which there appears to be from above replies. I m only interested in peleton as heard great reports online etc. I just want something I can do at home as I can't make it out of the house to a spin class regularly and I used to love them.

All I have heard are terrible reports about them bar the self promotion and advertorials they were producing in the US. Wouldn't touch them as I don't see them lasting the year. Get a turbo and a bike, if you were thinking of Peloton then you could afford a really high end Turbo. Loads of Spinning classes on youtube to use if you just want the spin classes angle rather than the racing aspect like zwift.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jesus Christ people, it's pelOton.

No it's pelo-TONE, thats how king Kelly says it so it must be right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Had to search boards for this...

Was watching ITV and a very glossy add for Peleton came on at half time in the rugby - thought to myself gosh, that's a very fancy add for an at home turbo trainer.

Then the Sunday Times carried an article about how this company just listed on the Nasdaq at a market cap of a mere $8 BILLION, with such illuminati investors such as Bono and others having pumped money in. This co. had revenue of US$900m and made a LOSS of US$190m.

But apparantly they're revolutionising fitness or some such.

Is all it takes to make a few billion nowadays to come up with glossy marketing?

I'm flabbergasted at this, especially while Zwift carry on doing something in someway revolutionary and at a pretty good price!

I'm lost for words!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

mollser wrote: »
    ....this company just listed on the Nasdaq at a market cap of a mere $8 BILLION, with such illuminati investors such as Bono and others having pumped money in. This co. had revenue of US$900m and made a LOSS of US$190m.

You aint seen nothing yet, wait till the sales of the expensive rigs dries up and all they have to sustain the business is a monthly sub. That when the sh1t will hit the fan and their losses will likely soar......

I'm sure Bono will be alright .......at least Peleton beats cycling around on New York streets. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hoggy1983

It looks like alot of those criticising haven't actually tried it. I've used it via hotels when I've travelled and I genuinely rate it as it motivated me to exercise when I otherwise wouldn't. The price is steep but can be justified if you're going to use it regularly over a 2 year period. It also appeals to me as I have a young family and heading out for 2 hours isn't going to happen.

The key thing is the live classes with the associated community and competition. That's what you don't get from Youtube.

Zwift sounds good too although it's a different target base.

The music lawsuit has now been settled.

If they delivered to ROI I'd definitely get one. I'll do a bit more Zwift research in the meantime.

general rule of thumb - do not invest heavily in a proprietary bit of kit. there are plenty of options for this sort of exercise which does not tie you to a specific provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Get a bunch of people on the Zoom app using turbo trainers - there ya go, your own pelethon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hoggy1983 wrote: »
    It looks like alot of those criticising haven't actually tried it. I've used it via hotels when I've travelled and I genuinely rate it as it motivated me to exercise when I otherwise wouldn't. The price is steep but can be justified if you're going to use it regularly over a 2 year period. It also appeals to me as I have a young family and heading out for 2 hours isn't going to happen.

The key thing is the live classes with the associated community and competition. That's what you don't get from Youtube.

Zwift sounds good too although it's a different target base.

The music lawsuit has now been settled.

If they delivered to ROI I'd definitely get one. I'll do a bit more Zwift research in the meantime.

Its the outlay for something that already exists is the issue. Trainer road, Zwift, RGT, Wattbike and so on all do very similar things already. All bar Wattbike rely on bits of kit that you have an ability to sell on if you don't like,and even then, the wattbike works with a ton of other things so still a safer investment. A cheaper monthly subscription for most, PelOton seems to be close to 3 times the amount. The essential kit is at least 1000 more than the bare essentials of any of the other set ups (bar wattbike).

Its just a bit much IMO, for something that may turn out to be nothing more than a fad, at least the others have either established eg zwift, trainer road, wattbike and if they fail, the kit you have is useable elsewhere or resellable.

Advertisement