Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare People's Sleep Being Disturbed by AN-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭colbarr

Trebor176 wrote: »

That's some top notch reporting there, does anybody know the guy who hands out the Pulitzer prize or whatever the equivalent is for journalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

When is the next scheduled flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

What an odd report. It's not based on any actual complaints about the flights, just someone explaining what they are with quotes which are most likely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’d get out of the bed to see it. Ah well horses for courses. When’s the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

How do the crew put up with the noise, is there soundproofing in the cockpit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

roadmaster wrote: »

This was my thought when I heard it fly over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

roadmaster wrote: »

Bose_A20_environmental1-280x280.jpg?v=1395439042

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Bose headsets are top of the range and expensive. Russian (insert eastern european nationality) aircrew tend not to have them, as a result, as they also tend to be underpaid compared to Western airline crews. Antonov 12 crews tend to look like sheepherders. An An 12 that attended Dublin lately had the crew sleeping inside; the refueller had to wake them to get them to set up the fuel system for topping up.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Bose headsets are top of the range and expensive. Russian (insert eastern european nationality) aircrew tend not to have them, as a result, as they also tend to be underpaid compared to Western airline crews. Antonov 12 crews tend to look like sheepherders. An An 12 that attended Dublin lately had the crew sleeping inside; the refueller had to wake them to get them to set up the fuel system for topping up.

regards
    Stovepipe

What nonsense did I just read? :confused::confused: Have you ever actually flown with eastern europeans? I did my flight training in eastern europe and the eastern instructors and students had top of the range bose headsets and other kit that i coming from ireland wasn't even able to afford.

Not all eastern european pilots live the youtube congo cargo life you seem to have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

This is quite a good video of an An-12 operation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i721IEIGDsU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Caught this in Bangor Maine yesterday

smurfjed wrote: »
    Caught this in Bangor Maine yesterday

UR-CNT

This aircraft receives the Jim Jefferies seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This is a different aircraft and I climbed onboard in Kuwait.

32887968293_b25df6b7fe_c.jpg

Look at the radio operators headset.

33701327775_249a8ae07b_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

1123heavy wrote: »
    What nonsense did I just read? :confused::confused: Have you ever actually flown with eastern europeans? I did my flight training in eastern europe and the eastern instructors and students had top of the range bose headsets and other kit that i coming from ireland wasn't even able to afford.

Not all eastern european pilots live the youtube congo cargo life you seem to have in mind.

I somewhat agree with his comments having dealt with Antonov crews for almost 20 years now. Dealt with the AN-124 crews years ago and they would arrive into DUB with no hi-viz vests or ear defenders. All of them looked like goat herders no word of a lie.

I know these comments don't apply to modern commercial Russian and ex russian airlines but certainly the antonov cargo flights always had poor resources and very dishevelled looking crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I somewhat agree with his comments having dealt with Antonov crews for almost 20 years now. Dealt with the AN-124 crews years ago and they would arrive into DUB with no hi-viz vests or ear defenders. All of them looked like goat herders no word of a lie.

I know these comments don't apply to modern commercial Russian and ex russian airlines but certainly the antonov cargo flights always had poor resources and very dishevelled looking crews.

AN-124 crews have come a long way. Fully kitted out in full PPE and dressed immaculately and always very polite and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

BZ wrote: »
    AN-124 crews have come a long way. Fully kitted out in full PPE and dressed immaculately and always very polite and professional.

I'm sure you're right. Its been a few years since since I've been out to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

i call bull on the story ive been doing security since last October at weekends near maynooth i do a patrol at midnight each night and never heard it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

smurfjed wrote: »
    This is a different aircraft and I climbed onboard in Kuwait.

32887968293_b25df6b7fe_c.jpg

Look at the radio operators headset.

33701327775_249a8ae07b_c.jpg

Those are the headsets I saw on the AN-12 crew. Very old design and certainly not Boses. I was nearby in my company's uniform and was asked by the refueller, a friend, to provide mobile steps, because the crew wanted to check the oil. We are not allowed to give free access to our steps so I rang our office and they declined, saying that another well-known Dublin ground handling agency was "handling" the Antonov, so I had to decline. The handling agency was nowhere to be seen for quite a while so I had to chance to have a good look over the Antonov. Only the Captain wore anything resembling a uniform (a Captain's cap and four bars) and the rest were snugly wrapped in several layers of a mix of civilian and work clothing. No hi viz vest, except on the Captain. I've seen quite a few of those cargo aircraft from various countries (An-12, An-72, An-124) in Dublin and the crews all looked the same; one aircraft had a domestic fridge inside, bungeed to the side of the cargo compartment. They all had spare wheels, chocks, towbars, blocks of wood, toolboxes and the crew's personal gear tucked into every available spot. Also, they all smoked, in and around the aircraft, despite being told that the Dub Airport police would bollock them, so they would simply smoke inside and ignore the police. Apart from that, they are usually friendly and usually allow you inside for a look if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

EchoIndia wrote: »
    This is quite a good video of an An-12 operation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i721IEIGDsU

Very cool pilot his face has not changed in the whole video guess he is well used the flying this aircraft

When's the next one due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

When's the next one due.

UR-CNT (AN 12) over London now inbound Shannon. Should pass over the Wexford area

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

When's the next one due.

I hope you don't work for that "news" site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surely it would be much noisier and noticeable around the limerick Clare Tipp areas when coming in for landing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

She’s just coming in near Wexford now if anyone down that way...looks like it’ll skirt across over south Tipp and into SNN

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Snowc wrote: »
    Very much looks like a 1-2 person blog site.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Article is a steaming pile of p**. I've lived in Leixlip for almost 20 years and never been woken by any aircraft other than the Copper Chopper searching somewhere near the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I live in the Midlands and AN12 going over at cruising altitude here does create a noticeable racket; far noisier than other aircraft and enough to cause harmonic oscillations of household fixtures and fittings.
    I verified the aircraft type on multiple occasions after being disturbed via the Flightradar24 app.

Snowc wrote: »

No just live in the north Kildare area
    Only woke me up once must of been directly over head
    But it's be great to be awake to hear it approaching if I knew in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

On the 08/03 March a AN112 UR-CGV Flew over Clane/Prosperous/Allen around 00:30 it actually sounded like an Artic Truck driving by the front window for 45 secs. It was a very clear night so I guess didn't help with Noise.

Being a plane nut I had to look it up to see what it was, anyone know what they are carrying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

UR-CNT (AN 12) over London now inbound Shannon. Should pass over the Wexford area

Oh boy did it ever. About 9.20pm.

Advertisement