Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 UK import - step by step

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Transfermate tends to be cheaper plus you'll have a dedicated person you can ring if you have any questions etc. Revolut requires you to have a premium account for turbo transfers and that's around €80. Transfermate charge €10.

Just a note to say I went with TransferMate recently presuming it was the way to go and after getting off the phone booking with them I checked AIB to see how much I saved and saw AIB were charging less - so shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

newmember? wrote: »
    Just a note to say I went with TransferMate recently presuming it was the way to go and after getting off the phone booking with them I checked AIB to see how much I saved and saw AIB were charging less - so shop around!

Quick question was AIB able to give you a similar exchange rate to Transfer Mate as I would expect transfer mate to offer a better exchange rate than AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

blackwave wrote: »
    Quick question was AIB able to give you a similar exchange rate to Transfer Mate as I would expect transfer mate to offer a better exchange rate than AIB?

AIB had a better rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Just got my car delivered today.Bought from a main dealer in London. Guy I dealt with had never sold a car for export.
    Told him I needed v5c form minus page 4 .He
    chose to totally ignore this afterwards claiming data protection and sent the completed form to DVLA and has mailed me out the section 4.
    I know this will take a long time to sort out and incur penalties .What would be the best way to sort it out?Im calling Swansea tomorrow and will plead my case but Id like to have all information needed before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

reject it and claim your money back.You mightn't get it but it may wake him up for the next buyer Ignorant git. What address did he put on it? You'll have to apply for a Cert of Export no doubt.

• Advertisement

Yeah I am raging but I have no real comeback and I just got to try and rectify the situation .So I assume he used my Irish address as i gave him no other.Do I fill out the form 4 hes posted me and I send that to Swansea and just wait ?Is applying for a cert of export the same thing or another transaction?

no there's a special form to apply for an export cert. I'm sure someone will tell you the reference of it. You won't get a V5C in your name at an Irish address. The Cert of export can be used to re-reg the car in it's place.

Isambard wrote: »
    no there's a special form to apply for an export cert. I'm sure someone will tell you the reference of it. You won't get a V5C in your name at an Irish address. The Cert of export can be used to re-reg the car in it's place.
    Thanks .I'll ask them about it tomorrow when I call them .

just google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Hi - looking for a bit of advice
    I want to import a vehicle from UK that will be 6 months old on March 27th.
    I want to avoid paying VAT on the vehicle. Do i need to wait until March 27th before getting the vehicle shipped over to avoid paying VAT at point of entry? (the vehicle meets the other condition of VAT of having more than 6000KM on the odometer)
    When exactly is VAT payable?

Ideally, I would like to ship the car over next week.
    Bumski wrote: »
    21 On arrival in Ireland book the VRT test at the NCTS. The cost of the inspection is covered in the VRT that you pay. No separate charge. This inspection does not test the car (it is not a standard NCTS test) and only verifies that the VRT amount is correct. The booking must be made within 7 days and all paperwork completed within 30 days or the import is subject to fines

• Advertisement

you'll need to wait for the 27th

you'll need to wait for the 27th
    Thanks for reply. Is vat bill issued at point of entry?

no. I'd say that would be dealt with along with the VRT, you won't be getting a VAT bill if you wait for the 27th

you won't be getting a VAT bill if you wait for the 27th

Yes, that is understood. I asked the question as it suits me better to get it brought over next week. Anyway, thank you for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Quick one.

I'm on the VRT calculator looking at a C220d Estate May 2018 with 8k miles on it....when I look at the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue it is stating €54,820, however when I look back at Mercedes Ireland price list from 2018 the new list price as c.€45k.

Given the VRT calculation starting point is based on the OMSP it is resulting in a higher than expected VRT amount. Has anybody ever come across this issue? It is worth seeking clarification from Revenue?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Redmond101 wrote: »
    Quick one.

I'm on the VRT calculator looking at a C220d Estate May 2018 with 8k miles on it....when I look at the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue it is stating €54,820, however when I look back at Mercedes Ireland price list from 2018 the new list price as c.€45k.

Given the VRT calculation starting point is based on the OMSP it is resulting in a higher than expected VRT amount. Has anybody ever come across this issue? It is worth seeking clarification from Revenue?

Thanks

Seem to be an issue across the entire c-class range based on running the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DjB84

Hi,

I'm currently look at two cars in the UK to import. They're both 69 plates but one is registered January 2020 while the other is November 2019. Just wondering will the January 20 registered model be a 20 plate in Ireland or will it be a 192?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

DjB84 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently look
    at two cars in the UK to import. They're both 69 plates but one is registered January 2020 while the other is November 2019. Just wondering will the January 20 registered model be a 20 plate in Ireland or will it be a 192?

Thanks

The one registered in January will be a 201 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DjB84

nathan99 wrote: »
    The one registered in January will be a 201 plate.

Perfect, thanks Nathan. They're both the exact same model, spec and price so that makes it much better value to go with the 201 plate

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KOTS3

Hi lads,

Wondering if anyone could help me. I’m buying an English import from a garage here in Dublin. They’ve said VRT included in price and once I choose which county I want my plates to be registered in I can go ahead with the motor tax / insurance etc.

Will I still need to show the UK V5 cert for the motor tax or what documents will be needed once the Irish reg is on it to get motor tax sorted?

Any help appreciated, its my first time with an import thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't get the V5 cert, the dealer will have that and will give to the VRT folks as part of the VRTing process. The dealer will take care of the VRTing bit and paperwork. All they need from you is your correct name and address where the car will be registered to.

Once it's put on Irish plates, you will need to wait 24 or 48 hours for the Irish registration to appear on the motortax.ie website. You can then tax it online using the last 6 or 7 digits of the car's VIN. Once you tax it for the first time, the new Irish vehicle licensing cert (logbook) will be issued to your address. Please note that the logbook won't be issued until you first tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

bazz26 wrote: »
    Once it's put on Irish plates, you will need to wait 24 or 48 hours for the Irish registration to appear on the motortax.ie website. You can then tax it online using the last 6 or 7 digits of the car's VIN. Once you tax it for the first time, the new Irish vehicle licensing cert (logbook) will be issued to your address. Please note that the logbook won't be issued until you first tax it.

Since I'm in a process of getting an UK import soon for myself in the next few days, I must ask, where does the insurance stand in all of this? I always assumed that the car needs to have some valid insurance policy number for it to be taxed first:confused: After all, if one wants to get the tax disc for the vehicle online from the motor tax website, here are the requirements, quoting them in this particular order:

What do I need to tax my vehicle online?
    1) Vehicle Registration Number
    2) Personal Identification Number (PIN)
    3) Email address
    4) Vehicle Insurance Details
    5) Credit / Debit Card Details

Also, how does the RF100 form fit in here? I mean surely it's required for an UK import before it gets taxed, correct?

Any help on explaining how this procedure should look like from a legal point of view, would be much appreciated!:)

the VRT people will give you a document which you use to tax the car, I assume you'll need to send it in. You can put whatever you like in as the policy number, it isn't checked.

the VRT people will give you a document which you use to tax the car, I assume you'll need to send it in. You can put whatever you like in as the policy number, it isn't checked.

The car dealer got the VRT sorted today alright, reg number is available as well, not updated on the motortax website, yet (as bazz26 highlighted, it should take 24-48 hours). I assume that document you're on about must be the RF100 form. As for the insurance policy number, I'm surprised to hear it can be made up:confused:

Anyway, I'm meeting the dealer this Thursday to finalise the deal, so I'll know more then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

versager wrote: »
    The car dealer got the VRT sorted today alright, reg number is available as well, not updated on the motortax website, yet (as bazz26 highlighted, it should take 24-48 hours). I assume that document you're on about must be the RF100 form. As for the insurance policy number, I'm surprised to hear it can be made up:confused:

Anyway, I'm meeting the dealer this Thursday to finalise the deal, so I'll know more then;)

You will need the VIN number to tax it the first time, the last 6 numbers on it is your pin number to tax it online.
    Insurance policy number and car Reg is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

Hi All,

Wondering if someone could advise, I've been living in the uk the last couple of years. Changed the car back in August but lost my job last week so will be moving back to Ireland. Can i leave the car over in the UK till the 6 months ownership is up to bring it over with an exception or do I have to bite the bullet and pay the vrt now?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will have to prove that the car is still being used in the UK - ie taxed, valid MOT and insured there I'd imagine. Storing it off the road in a shed is not enough. You might also have to prove that you are still living in the UK also which would be difficult if you are back in Ireland working and paying tax here.

mgn wrote: »
    You will need the VIN number to tax it the first time, the last 6 numbers on it is your pin number to tax it online.
    Insurance policy number and car Reg is all you need.

Thanks! Just to verify this once and for all.
    What is the particular order? Where does the RF100 form stand in all of this? Do you need it all, when you want to receive the tax disc the first time? First comes the insurance quote/policy number, then the tax, correct?

Apologies for so many questions, just want to end up the unnecessary confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

versager wrote: »
    Thanks! Just to verify this once and for all.
    What is the particular order? Where does the RF100 form stand in all of this? Do you need it all, when you want to receive the tax disc the first time? First comes the insurance quote/policy number, then the tax, correct?

Apologies for so many questions, just want to end up the unnecessary confusion!

No need for RF100 when you tax it online, its only used if you go to the tax office.
    When you tax the car online you get the tax a few days later followed by the log book a day or two later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement