Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

culsoh wrote: »
    Bought car in NI - getting it hopefully Friday (March 31st). I understand I have to complete VRT within 30 days. Seller has no problem dating the invoice to suit me (e.g. April 5th) which will give me longer to complete VRT, but is it realistically going to matter. Would the amount payable come down slightly with the extra month

Nothing to be gained via pushing out the date but I would not buy a car on the last day of the month, you will be liable for the full month of March road tax if you bring it into the state on March 31st.
    April 1st would be better from a car tax perspective ;)

Don't forget you have to make the VRT appointment within 7 days of having the car in the state.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

slave1 wrote: »
    Nothing to be gained via pushing out the date but I would not buy a car on the last day of the month, you will be liable for the full month of March road tax if you bring it into the state on March 31st.
    April 1st would be better from a car tax perspective ;)

Don't forget you have to make the VRT appointment within 7 days of having the car in the state.

Yes I know, that's what I'm trying to avoid (paying March Tax) but I'm sure if the seller dates invoice April 1st then that'll get me off the hook won't it??

Someone mentioned that VRT fluctuates monthly so that's why I thought I might save a couple hundred euro waiting until May but if not I'll just get it over and done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Do you pay tax from the day you purchase the car or the day you vrt the car?

thadg wrote: »

I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot tax the car until you get an Irish registration number. You have to pay the VRT first before they issue you an Irish registration number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

From the day you vrt the car and get your Irish registration number.

looks like it will be Monday now anyway, so into a new month anyway. :
    So invoice will be dated 3rd April. I have 7 days to make appointment for a VRT inspection so I could technically make it for the end of the 30 days bringing me into May and then only liable for May tax and onwards??

bazz26 wrote: »
    You cannot tax the car until you get an Irish registration number. You have to pay the VRT first before they issue you an Irish registration number.
    Im well aware of that but what I was wondering is would they hit you with arrears for the month you drive it in Ireland on uk reg.

vrting a car on the 1st of april but it came in to Ireland on 5th of march. well worth pushing out the vrt as long as possible

Im well aware of that but what I was wondering is would they hit you with arrears for the month you drive it in Ireland on uk reg.

vrting a car on the 1st of april but it came in to Ireland on 5th of march. well worth pushing out the vrt as long as possible

I brought mine into the country in early Dec 2016. VRT'd it in Jan 2017 and only had to pay road tax from Jan 2017, no arrears.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I brought my car in on March 3rd and VRT'd it yesterday so had to pay March tax this morning when taxing it on-line, suppose I could have pushed the VRT out to April but I don't mind, I was driving it around in March and the tax is only €120 a year so it's just a tenner.
    If the tax was more substantial then yes, a bit of planning to VRT in the first few days of the following month would be prudent..

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

What's people experience when the car is not on the online system? How long did it take to get a price and was it higher or lower than expected?

I'm just back from the test centre but was told they couldn't price it now and could take 10 days to hear back. I'm hoping that ittake less than that and the price won't be hiked massively from the closest match which I based myself on

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Hi guys my brother in law is going over to London to buy a kia carens for my wife
    What would the cheapest way to pay for the car regarding euro change over to euro ????

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I used Currency Fair, found the rates very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    I used Currency Fair, found the rates very reasonable.

Cheers for that could u please explain how currency fair works

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eh...

Google it. Alloneword.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

1. Register your bank account with CF
    2. Lodge the euro value (what you expect to pay for the car) to CF. Takes about 2 working days.
    3. Leave it there until you're ready to pay the car dealership. You need to know the car dealership's IBAN at this stage too.
    4. Transfer the money 1 working day before you're due to collect car.
    5. You can save anywhere from 3-4 cent per euro on the exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Can anyone tell me how long did they have to wait to get a price for vrt if not quoted on the day of the appointment?

also do they communicate via text or do they ring you?

I've had no news yesterday and my appointment was last friday

I know they said up to 10 days to get a price but is it really gonna take that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hi guys,
    Just to confirm. If I have my VRT test booked within 24hrs....but its 17 days away till I can get it tested and I can prove that, is that ok?
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2b

Its ok I think that has me good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭aerofoiled

Yes, you're good. You have 7 days from the date of bringing the vehicle into the country to book the VRT inspection, then 30 days (from import date) to complete the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

From the day you vrt the car and get your Irish registration number.

That's not true.

Yes you can only RF100 (tax) the car once you have it VRT'd and you have your reg. And in fact only the RF100 and your first tax payment will get you the logbook. But the tax will be backdated to when the car was actually brought in.

For example I brought the car in on February 15, completed the VRT process roughly 4 weeks later in March. When I taxed the car I had to pay for February and my tax disc shows 2/18.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's not true.

Yes you can only RF100 (tax) the car once you have it VRT'd and you have your reg. And in fact only the RF100 and your first tax payment will get you the logbook. But the tax will be backdated to when the car was actually brought in.

For example I brought the car in on February 15, completed the VRT process roughly 4 weeks later in March. When I taxed the car I had to pay for February and my tax disc shows 2/18.

I brought my car in on the 2nd March.
    Taxed it, and my disc is 02/18.

That's not true.

I can only speak from my experience. See post #700. That was my experience and it is true, I don't tell lies.

I accept what happened to you was different and I believe you.

Fair enough not saying that you lied obviously. You must have been lucky however cos I also have the 'privilege' of the other half having worked in motor tax for several years and she confirmed what I'm saying.

I guess the right answer would be hope for the best be prepared for the worst.

That's not true.

but sure what other month were you expecting to be on the disc??

you didnt pay for February , you paid from march 1st 2017 until march 1st 2018, which is 12 months tax. you weren't back dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Any one experienced bring in a Jeep from the UK? Looking at bring in a VW Amarok. Ok, so I got the VRT price on it which is alright. But my question is about road tax when I register it. It's showing for the high tax band like a normal road car which is up on €1200. Or is it calculated on engine cc which is around €710 I think. Or could I register it as commercial and pay €333 for the year? It will be for private use but I see a lot of jeeps advertised like it, saying the road tax is €333.

but sure what other month were you expecting to be on the disc??

you didnt pay for February , you paid from march 1st 2017 until march 1st 2018, which is 12 months tax. you weren't back dated.

You're right of course.

I take it all back so. I'm not quite with it apparently. Apologies all round. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Hi guys,

Fantastic thread on UK imports, never realised it can be such a straight forward process if you do your research. Big thanks to all involved sharing the information, especially the OP.

I have a quick question, is the VRT and importing process the same if you are looking at bringing in a commercial vehicle (along the lines of a Nissan X-Trail or Land Rover Discovery)

Or would it be the case that once the VRT process is complete you would then have to apply for commercial registration?

ace_irl wrote: »
    I have a quick question, is the VRT and importing process the same if you are looking at bringing in a commercial vehicle (along the lines of a Nissan X-Trail or Land Rover Discovery)

I brought in a Toyota Landcruiser. It's 4.2 litre so I wasn't going to pay passenger road tax on that.

I imported it and did the conversion (seats and belts out etc.). I got the proper inspection by an SQI and presented it to the NCT people for VRT purposes.

They inspected it and took photos of the inside and sent them to revenue. A few days later I got my commercial VRT quote, paid it and that was that.

I also imported my car and my wife's car and the process for commercial vehicle and passenger cars was almost identical. The only difference was the taking of the pictures and waiting a few days for the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

That's brilliant, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Have my VRT test on Friday and Ill update with how much it was. I see now there is a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) -seriously??? - Anyway is this an additional form I need to pricess first and have ready for the test or something that the VRT centre do?

Advertisement