Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Can anybody get their head around the avoidance of post commencement dispositions? My notes are a complete mess! Is the position in Ireland basically just the reverse of Hollicourt v BOI in that banks can be made liable for post-commencement dispositions?

What effect does s.602(3) have on all this? Apparently it has reversed the decision in Re Industrial Services Ltd....?

I'm in a blind panic at this stage, still have mountains to learn and I don't seem to be able to grasp the basics :(

My understanding is that Hollicourt made the recipient liable, the Industrial Services Co reversed that by making the bank liable. Then s602 came into place which upheld the Industrial Services Co. So then the position is Hollicourt reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's more along the lines of the function of Tort, usually the 1st chapter in the manuals, compensation/vindication/deterrence etc

Very rare, only came up once before in the last 20 or so sittings.

Lol, for this Q I went off on one about VL saying it was against fault based liability and how the doctrine expanded in the search of Deep Pockets, then I threw in a paragraph on the court's unwillingness to let public authorities attract liability to avoid a chilling affect on their behavior. I was stuck for my 5th so I was like well it knida works

And I did Q3 as straight Nervous Shock

So that's one fail! oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Lol, for this Q I went off on one about VL saying it was against fault based liability and how the doctrine expanded in the search of Deep Pockets, then I threw in a paragraph on the court's unwillingness to let public authorities attract liability to avoid a chilling affect on their behavior. I was stuck for my 5th so I was like well it knida works

And I did Q3 as straight Nervous Shock

So that's one fail! oh well

If you justified it it works , broad question as essays go!

Hey, jury's still not out on that one :/

It's the one case! Just a weird title. If you can figure it out feel free to come back and explain it me!

Your right, the facts of that case are fairly confusing. So there was a mortgage which wasn't registered for years, and then finally registered years later. And then I'm lost!! I think they allowed the extension though

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

*Property*

So far I have learned the following

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Easements
    Finding
    Co ownership
    Family Property
    Licenses and Rights of Residence
    Mortgages
    Registration essay

I am currently trying to learn Landlord and Tenant but it's not going in and starting to panic slightly. From anyone in a similar boat will I be OK with the above or is Land Lord and a tenant essential, I have a bad feeling it going to come up and I don't know what to do instead of it☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

mariealice wrote: »
    *Property*

So far I have learned the following

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Easements
    Finding
    Co ownership
    Family Property
    Licenses and Rights of Residence
    Mortgages
    Registration essay

I am currently trying to learn Landlord and Tenant but it's not going in and starting to panic slightly. From anyone in a similar boat will I be OK with the above or is Land Lord and a tenant essential, I have a bad feeling it going to come up and I don't know what to do instead of it☹️

I'm going in with all those minus mortgages, and I think I'll be fine, no time for landlord and tenant personally and mortgages bores me to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

I'm going in with all those minus mortgages, and I think I'll be fine, no time for landlord and tenant personally and mortgages bores me to death.

OK cool, thanks! I know realistically it should be enough having looked very closely at the grid/Past papers, its just that last minute paranoia telling me I need to cover more!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

*Company*

So what I'm covering is

5 changes under Companies Act 2014
    Shareholder Meeting
    Directors Duties
    Protection of Shareholders
    Transfer of Shares
    Liquidation
    Borrowing by the Company
    Realisation of Corporate Assets
    Corporate Authority
    SLP
    Restrictions

Anything glaringly obvious I have left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

*Company*

So what I'm covering is

5 changes under Companies Act 2014
    Shareholder Meeting
    Directors Duties
    Protection of Shareholders
    Transfer of Shares
    Liquidation
    Borrowing by the Company
    Realisation of Corporate Assets
    Corporate Authority
    SLP
    Restrictions

Anything glaringly obvious I have left out?

You'd be desperately unlucky not to get 5 questions out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Anyone any predictions for company or know what was up on the last paper that may not be due tomo?

• Advertisement

Anyone have 2018 company papers with reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Does anyone know if I can leave my Company Act in there tomorrow? Forgot after the exam today. I hope so.

Still don't know if I should sue the Law Society for nervous shock or intentional psychological damage after that start:-(

Daly29 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can leave my Company Act in there tomorrow? Forgot after the exam today. I hope so.

Still don't know if I should sue the Law Society for nervous shock or intentional psychological damage after that start:-(

Yes you can and you'll get it about 40 mins into the exam

Also looking for sample answers to October 2017 paper, few hard questions on that one..
    If anyone can help out would be very grateful

holliek wrote: »
    Your right, the facts of that case are fairly confusing. So there was a mortgage which wasn't registered for years, and then finally registered years later. And then I'm lost!! I think they allowed the extension though

Yeah they allowed the late registration of the mortgage but then they say that another charge Frank Bell took out subsequently has priority because that was registered first before the mortgage?

At least that's my understanding but find it very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

Looking at Oct 2015 Q7 for property and it asks about reform for Adverse Possession. Does anyone whats the basic point you need to make about reform?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

marc24 wrote: »
    Looking at Oct 2015 Q7 for property and it asks about reform for Adverse Possession. Does anyone whats the basic point you need to make about reform?

I think maybe just highlighting that statutory law hasn't changed since 1957 so its pretty stagnant and so it was possible for Clarke j in Dunne to discuss principles from A case 30 years before- Powell v McFarlane.

Then discussing PYE in detail and its relevance - AP safe for now but clear some controversy exists particularly with lack of possibility of compensation for the dispossessed so could be an area appropriate for reform.

Does anyone have any tip for getting by in criminal exam, theres just so much legislation and cases and details to remember I don't know how i'll be able to remember half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

nimcdona wrote: »
    I think maybe just highlighting that statutory law hasn't changed since 1957 so its pretty stagnant and so it was possible for Clarke j in Dunne to discuss principles from A case 30 years before- Powell v McFarlane.

Then discussing PYE in detail and its relevance - AP safe for now but clear some controversy exists particularly with lack of possibility of compensation for the dispossessed so could be an area appropriate for reform.

Brill thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

Does anyone have any tip for getting by in criminal exam, theres just so much legislation and cases and details to remember I don't know how i'll be able to remember half of it

Do you want some condensed notes? I have two PDFs with condensed notes might help in the revision. Unfortunately anything can come up in criminal.

• Advertisement

The only thing I'll say is that I think the criminal examiner is generous marker. I was full sure I was going to fail when I read the paper in October. Had 3 questions I felt confident about. The other 2 I literally pulled out of my rear end. Came out with 52.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Wondering if anyone could give me advice. Sat 4 exams last time. The only one I was confident in was Criminal. Ended up being the only one I failed.
    I love Criminal law, picked every Criminal module in college and got high grades. Ideally would like to end up being a criminal lawyer. Also failed quite badly, got 43. Criminal is meant to be one of the "easier" ones. I also looked back on my script as against the exam report and I hit 95% of the points. Also got like 7s 8s and 9s in each question (thought I might have bombed on one particular question, but no.)
    I hadn't a lot of case law and probably only said the Statute 70% of the time. I find it really difficult to remember things like that, I more just remember concepts.
    Can anyone advise me? He obviously loves case law and statutes, but it's not like I had nothing. Compared to the other exams I passed I had loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Pyggg wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone could give me advice. Sat 4 exams last time. The only one I was confident in was Criminal. Ended up being the only one I failed.
    I love Criminal law, picked every Criminal module in college and got high grades. Ideally would like to end up being a criminal lawyer. Also failed quite badly, got 43. Criminal is meant to be one of the "easier" ones. I also looked back on my script as against the exam report and I hit 95% of the points. Also got like 7s 8s and 9s in each question (thought I might have bombed on one particular question, but no.)
    I hadn't a lot of case law and probably only said the Statute 70% of the time. I find it really difficult to remember things like that, I more just remember concepts.
    Can anyone advise me? He obviously loves case law and statutes, but it's not like I had nothing. Compared to the other exams I passed I had loads!

With case law, I try to link the parties’ names to my friends’ names or people I know. I associate that case with a face so that it helps me to me remember details.

If there’s a case where the accused is a mechanic who was charged with theft, think of your mate John who’s a mechanic and always robs your pints on a night out!

Kind of hard to explain but hopefully you get what I mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

For people sitting criminal and property, are ye dedicating all tmrw to criminal or splitting it between the two? Not sure how to go about it with 2 in a row!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

lisac223 wrote: »
    For people sitting criminal and property, are ye dedicating all tmrw to criminal or splitting it between the two? Not sure how to go about it with 2 in a row!

Today I’ve mostly focused on property. For the rest of today and tomorrow it’ll be only criminal.

I’ll pick up property again after the criminal exam.

I’m feeling a little more prepared for property than I am for criminal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Today I’ve mostly focused on property. For the rest of today and tomorrow it’ll be only criminal.

I’ll pick up property again after the criminal exam.

I’m feeling a little more prepared for property than I am for criminal though.

Yeah that makes sense, I only really started property about an hour ago bc I was still recovering from tort so might have to dedicate and hour or two to it in the morning before focusing on criminal :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Legal23

I'm going for the magic three for the 3rd time and I'm losing heart. I've signed up for 4 this time round with criminal being my additional subject. I've got condensed notes done but I find I'm rewriting all my notes again in the learning process. Tbh, I've mostly focused on my past exams so I've left criminal to the end. I'm starting to panic looking at the topics today and feel like I'm getting nowhere. I'm just wondering from your experience would I be better off not sitting criminal and just focus on getting my three, spending the next few days being fully prepared for my 3 exams or do I spend the next day and a half cramming to get criminal into my head... Is it possible to pass if I feel like nothing is going in at this point???

The only thing I'll say is that I think the criminal examiner is generous marker. I was full sure I was going to fail when I read the paper in October. Had 3 questions I felt confident about. The other 2 I literally pulled out of my rear end. Came out with 52.

Thanks for that, needed a bit of reassurance

Ok for company I've learnt the following:
    - incorporation (advan and disadvan)
    - SLP
    - authority (ostensible and Turquand)
    - ultra vires (object clause and powers)
    - directors (s228 duties and to whom do they owe duties to and restriction of a director)
    - shares (definition essay and transfer)
    - shareholders (Foss v Harbottle and s212)
    - Corp borrowing (reg of charges, floating v fixed, crystallization, over book debts)
    - receivership (duty to obtain best price)
    - liquidation (members vol, cred vol, s569(1)(d) and (e))
    - Corporate assets (bank transactions and fraudulent preference)

I've narrowed down a lot of chapters so it probs looks like I'm doing more than it is as a lot aren't full chapters. Should this be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

Re. company, can anyone advise - is notification still a crystallising event as in JD Brian despite that it no longer gives priority above preferential creditors since the Companies (Accounting) Act? (I'm working off of an older manual ��)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement