Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭vid36

It shows just how difficult tort can be, you really need 14 + topics to be confident of five good questions. It is very frustrating and probably means that I will have another year in the wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

What was the purpose of tort question?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

holliek wrote: »
    For the question of registration of charges, my answer is literally just a summary of s408 and s409.. Does anyone have any cases or additional info on that topic?

It's very legislation heavy. You might be able to throw in a case or two for Section 417-application for an extension of time. Look at Re Manning Furniture Ltd., Re Telford Motors, and Re Resnoid and Mica Products Ltd.

There's also Frank Bell and Sons Ltd;Shaw's Application but I've read the facts of that case several times in two different manuals and for the life of me I can't understand the reasoning behind the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm obviously biased but I'm certain that that was one of the hardest tort papers out of the last 20 or so sittings bar maybe March 14.

Just the luck of the draw. It happens.

Almost certainly failed, means I have to pass my other 3 or my work has been for nought :(

Well, no one ever said it was gunna be easy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

It's very legislation heavy. You might be able to throw in a case or two for Section 417-application for an extension of time. Look at Re Manning Furniture Ltd., Re Telford Motors, and Re Resnoid and Mica Products Ltd.

There's also Frank Bell and Sons Ltd;Shaw's Application but I've read the facts of that case several times in two different manuals and for the life of me I can't understand the reasoning behind the decision.

That's great thanks for the help! I'll add in the bit about extension, completely forgot I actually had them in my notes. Don't know Bell and Shaw case but I'll have a look at them. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

I'm obviously biased but I'm certain that that was one of the hardest tort papers out of the last 20 or so sittings bar maybe March 14.

Just the luck of the draw. It happens.

Almost certainly failed, means I have to pass my other 3 or my work has been for nought :(

Well, no one ever said it was gunna be easy lol

I think that's a fair enough assertion, it was quite nasty but that was expected after the lovely one last time I'm afraid

What was the purpose of tort question?

Basically, discuss the fundamental objectives of Tort law illustrating through case law

Anyone else any thoughts on the nervous shock / Wilkinson v downtown question?

xBell123 wrote: »
    *Company*

Trying to learn everything and feel like it’s getting to be too much!!

I planned to learn:

Incorporation and documentation (s.31 contract, alteration of articles - really short)
    SLP
    Corporate capacity and ultra vires
    Directors (s.158 delegation, types, duties)
    Restriction and disqualification
    Reckless and fraudulent trading
    Share transfer
    Shareholder protection (foss v harbottle, s. 212)
    Corporate borrowing
    Winding up
    Distribution of assets

Haven’t had a chance to look at winding up or distribution of assets yet and considering leaving them out - is that wise?

Is the list above too much / not enough? I’m freaking

Solid enough list to my eye if you cover it all. You're probably guaranteed 2 (maybe 3) questions from Directors/Restriction and Disqual/Corporate Borrowing alone.

I'd definitely cover Winding up and Distribution of assets. They're both due a run going by the grid!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Wow!!! That was tough, omg! The only nice bit was defamation question. I’m in bits after that rotten paper. Anyone have any positive stories of a person doing 4 average questions, a rubbish 5th and passing tort/torture??

• Advertisement

holliek wrote: »
    Don't know Bell and Shaw case but I'll have a look at them.

It's the one case! Just a weird title. If you can figure it out feel free to come back and explain it me!

I went with nervous shock only. I assumed Wilkinson refered to trespass to person but I doubt you would be incorrect mentioning it, I wish I did! My brain was fried in there. I’m glad it’s over and I’m finished. If I pass it’s my last ever fe1 but I’m doubtful of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Hopefully the rest of the papers aren't as difficult as Tort sounded :o

Does anyone know where to source the newest Colleges night before notes?

Particularly for Criminal and Property. It seems the links are broken or they just haven't released them to everybody :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

ally1234 wrote: »
    Wow!!! That was tough, omg! The only nice bit was defamation question. I’m in bits after that rotten paper. Anyone have any positive stories of a person doing 4 average questions, a rubbish 5th and passing tort/torture??

That’s exactly where I am I think :/ 4 that were okay and one that wasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

ally1234 wrote: »

1 good question
    2 average
    2 pulled out of my hole
    51% :pac:

At least I'm not the only one so ! It's doable for sure guys, in the ones I viewed I had passed most in 4 questions with weak final questions then just to add on, don't psych yourselves out!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Basically, discuss the fundamental objectives of Tort law illustrating through case law

Would that have been duty of care? Neighbour principle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Supreme!Fox

Are special contracts and shareholder agreements the same thing, and if not, what is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

1 good question
    2 average
    2 pulled out of my hole

Feel this was me today, so hopefully an on the dot pass lol

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Can anybody get their head around the avoidance of post commencement dispositions? My notes are a complete mess! Is the position in Ireland basically just the reverse of Hollicourt v BOI in that banks can be made liable for post-commencement dispositions?

What effect does s.602(3) have on all this? Apparently it has reversed the decision in Re Industrial Services Ltd....?

I'm in a blind panic at this stage, still have mountains to learn and I don't seem to be able to grasp the basics :(

• Advertisement

lawless11 wrote: »
    Feel this was me today, so hopefully an on the dot pass lol

For me it's all riding on whether that nervous shock was nervous shock, it was either no good or excellent :/ defamation was nice and a wide amount to talk about and shoe off, med neg not bad, causation complex but allowed you talk about a lot and damages was, eh

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Q3 I really felt it referred to Psychological Damage.
    Eoin Quill has a short section in 2nd edition of Torts in Ireland under Miscellaneous Torts.
    My book is old so maybe more cases since this edition.
    I looked at it under Intentional Torts.
    I don’t know if Nervous Shock would satisfy, proximity requirement would fail.. Ex relationship .. If Brothers failed in Alcock an ex girl friend would be way too remote.

1 good question
    2 average
    2 pulled out of my hole

Thank you, I’m hoping he will be kind with the stuff I threw on the paper this monrnig. I’d love a pass regardless of where I go from here career wise I just want these exams finished with! Best of luck to everyone sitting more this week and next, if I can get to 7 anyone can do it!

Q3 I really felt it referred to Psychological Damage.
    Eoin Quill has a short section in 2nd edition of Torts in Ireland under Miscellaneous Torts.
    My book is old so maybe more cases since this edition.
    I looked at it under Intentional Torts.
    I don’t know if Nervous Shock would satisfy, proximity requirement would fail.. Ex relationship .. If Brothers failed in Alcock an ex girl friend would be way too remote.

I guess I just saw psychological damage and jumped on it. Surely Wilkinson v downtown is gonna be such a short answer though!?

He was nasty and changed the exam again in not referring to the exact question.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I thought it was wilkinson I didn't attempt. Anyhow re tort I cannot complain because I went in trying to wing it just ran out of time but honestly for those of you that did prep or spend a lot longer good god, it was very odd selections and so specific. Was the first question causation / contributory neg??

ally1234 wrote:

Listen id say alot of people found it difficult the fact you got five questions answered /attempted for a tough paper you'll have a good chance.

Even though tort was a half attempt for me as i am doing five feel totally knocked for tomo paper like of it a curveball like that ugh:/
    Is company examiner tough?

Would that have been duty of care? Neighbour principle?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's more along the lines of the function of Tort, usually the 1st chapter in the manuals, compensation/vindication/deterrence etc

Very rare, only came up once before in the last 20 or so sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's more along the lines of the function of Tort, usually the 1st chapter in the manuals, compensation/vindication/deterrence etc

Very rare, only came up once before in the last 20 or so sittings.

Ray Ray let us down today :( it wasn’t poor Mary and her mannequin inflicting emotional distress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Doser

xBell123 wrote: »
    *Company*

Trying to learn everything and feel like it’s getting to be too much!!

I planned to learn:

Incorporation and documentation (s.31 contract, alteration of articles - really short)
    SLP
    Corporate capacity and ultra vires
    Directors (s.158 delegation, types, duties)
    Restriction and disqualification
    Reckless and fraudulent trading
    Share transfer
    Shareholder protection (foss v harbottle, s. 212)
    Corporate borrowing
    Winding up
    Distribution of assets

Haven’t had a chance to look at winding up or distribution of assets yet and considering leaving them out - is that wise?

Is the list above too much / not enough? I’m freaking

In the exact same boat, seeing winding-up at the end of my list makes me think I dont have time! I'm running with you on the rest of it.
    1. Directors (hoping 1 or 2 questions come up from the amount there is on it),
    2. Shareholder protection (Foss Harbottle, s212),
    3. SLP,
    4. Restriction/Disqualification,
    5. Reckless & Fraudulent,
    6. corporate capacity and ultra vires,
    7. Examinership,
    Share Transfer
    Receivership
    Winding up.

I've tried to list the order I'm most comfortable for the others. Anything after is a cluster of straws to clutch at. I could be hoping for way too kind of an exam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement