Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But what about World Toilet Day

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Here come the white knights...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

and where have I blamed all women, please point it out, I was blaming the times for pedealling the identity/gender politics crap and other media pushing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Here come the white knights...

You could have just said nothing, rather than unwittingly reinforcing the point made directly above your post.

You could have just said nothing, rather than unwittingly reinforcing the point made directly above your post.

Where's the fun in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Where's the fun in that?

Here for a fun time, not a long time, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

just bleached ours! happy days:)

Here for a fun time, not a long time, I suspect.

It's better to burn out than fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,980 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes it is up to me thanks for the approval.

Women's issues for white middle class educated women like myself are fairly trivial in Ireland, apart from domestic violence.
    That's exactly why we should we concentrating on those who need help and rausing awareness.Like women in Iran who forty years ago today marched for the right not to cover their heads. Do we care about them no, let's undermine our argument with protests about the gender pay gap.
    Like I said, you can raise any issues you want. You can care about people in Iran or not. Don't tell me what I care about.

Trivialising Irish people's issues is spiteful and reduces the chances of achieving change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Like I said, you can raise any issues you want. You can care about people in Iran or not. Don't tell me what I care about.

Trivialising Irish people's issues is spiteful and reduces the chances of achieving change.

Of which change isn't particularly needed.

And why not trivialise trivial issues? A dash of reality is needed in every situation.

The only thing yesterday achieved was an increase of positive discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

woman your trying to impress ask you to write that :D

or just nothing to contribute to a thread but a snarky comment

You're coming across as an angry teen. It's a bit sad.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »

Of which change isn't particularly needed.

And why not trivialise trivial issues? A dash of reality is needed in every situation.

The only thing yesterday achieved was an increase of positive discrimination.

Domestic violence is trivial? Education in low socio economic areas is trivial? Access to physical and mental health care and the quality of that health care is trivial? Homelessness is trivial? I could go on.

I think those are serious issues and I'd like to see changes to improve those areas. I supose you'll need to either say those issues are trivial or else say they're not women's issues. Of course they're women's issues and men's issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Domestic violence is trivial?
    Can be well tackled in many other different ways, and it's not confined to one gender.

Education in low socio economic areas is trivial? Access to physical and mental health care and the quality of that health care is trivial? Homelessness is trivial? I could go on.

How does International Women's Day address those issues?

Another attempt at faux outrage needed.
    I think those are serious issues and I'd like to see changes to improve those areas. I supose you'll need to either say those issues are trivial or else say they're not women's issues. Of course they're women's issues and men's issues.

Not confined to women. International women's day does next to nothing to address these issues! I'm sure loads of people who are homeless were very happy with Aer Lingus giving women (discrimination by law) all priority boarding yesterday.

I don't even know how you can be fully serious in that response. It's absurd!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Domestic violence is trivial?
    Can be well tackled in many other different ways, and it's not confined to one gender.

Education in low socio economic areas is trivial? Access to physical and mental health care and the quality of that health care is trivial? Homelessness is trivial? I could go on.

How does International Women's Day address those issues?

Another attempt at faux outrage needed.

Not confined to women. International women's day does next to nothing to address these issues! I'm sure loads of people who are homeless were very happy with Aer Lingus giving women (discrimination by law) all priority boarding yesterday.

I don't even know how you can be fully serious in that response. It's absurd!

Women's Day is an opportunity to highlight the issues that need to be addressed. Likewise mens day in November is an opportunity to raise issues from men's perspective. Awareness is one of the first steps to changing things for the better. It's the same for absolutely everything. Awareness is the first step.

No need to pretend not to understand it. It's absolutely basic.

I'm fact this came up at Friday pints last night. Someone mentioned women's day and one of the lads asked if there's a men's day. I said it's on November and they were surprised there's a men's day. One of the women said 'sure why would men need a day when they have it so easy' or something to that effect.

Myself and one of the lads were able to list some things like boys falling behind girls in education, male suicide rate being 4 times higher than women's rate and suicide being the biggest single cause of death for young men and family courts being biased against men.

She was a bit taken aback but straight way she said she hadn't thought about it and she would support any of those causes. Simple as that. Awareness leads to attitude change which leads to behaviour change.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I was reading yesterday that international men's day is more talked about on social media and searched on google on the 8th of March than it is on any other day of the year - including international men's day. It's because so many people sarcastically ask when international men's day is on international women's day. It's been around since the early 90s, it's talked about in the papers and on the radios and promoted quite a bit, particularly by mental health charities with men being affected by such high suicide rates.

It seems like men aren't as inclined to talk about it or do anything to promote it or celebrate it, which I think is a pity because there are a number of issues that exclusively or predominantly affect men. Men seem to feel less able to talk about their issues (for example men are less likely to seek help with mental health). I wonder if that's what has an impact on them being less likely to talk about international men's day, or really even recognise it. It's been around a long time and yet so many seem to genuinely not know it exists.

I know this is AH, and there'll probably be a few thinking that we hear about international women's day because women never shut up or something to that affect. But I do think it's an issue that men aren't recognising a day that's all about raising awareness for issues facing them, and if you're a man who doesn't talk about those things, maybe it's worth considering why not.

I found out something due to IWD. I knew suicide was the biggest cause of death for men up to 35. Suicide is the biggest cause of death for women aged 5-34 and the 4th biggest killer of women aged 35-49. Im happy to know that. Shows where resources should be directed.

But death by suicide is a trivial issue according to some because there are only trivial issues facing women in Ireland in 2019. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I found out something due to IWD. I knew suicide was the biggest cause of death for men up to 35. Suicide is the biggest cause of death for women aged 5-34 and the 4th biggest killer of women aged 35-49. Im happy to know that. Shows where resources should be directed.

But death by suicide is a trivial issue according to some because there are only trivial issues facing women in Ireland in 2019. Right?

8/10 suicides in Ireland are men. I don't really get where you're going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

8/10 suicides in Ireland are men. I don't really get where you're going with this?

There was a woman on either newstalk or tipp FM last week talking about this. She claimed that more women attempt it more than men. Thats frightening considering how much men succeeded.

Thats something that should be repeated so frequently on international men's day that nobody can be ignorant of the fact.

Now I'll tell you where I'm coming from. The fact that suicide is the biggest single killer of women from 5-34 and 4th biggest killer of women 35-49 is a massively important fact to me.

It tells me that more resources need to be allocated to dealing with suicide for those women.

As it happens I think more resources again should be allocated to dealing with suicide among men.

The objective for me isn't to diminish and trivialise the problems women or men face. That attitude has lead to people calling suicide trivial. Isn't that incredible? To me it's about getting more attention where attention is needed.

Now I've explained where I'm coming from. Will you explain where you're coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Now I've explained where I'm coming from. Will you explain where you're coming from?

I was trying to understand why you were mentioning suicide stats about women when it is more prevalent in men.
    We are very much in agreement about more resources being needed, regardless of gender and that it is not a trivial matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Would you buy a hallmark card - Happy World Toilet day?

Yes but it would have to be made from recycled paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

There was a woman on either newstalk or tipp FM last week talking about this. She claimed that more women attempt it more than men. Thats frightening considering how much men succeeded.

Women attempt suicide between 2-4 times more often than men, but men are more likely to be successful. It's often known at the gender paradox in suicidal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

suicide aside, I reckon we spend between 4 - 5 months of our lives on the toilet.

Muir wrote: »
    Women attempt suicide between 2-4 times more often than men, but men are more likely to be successful. It's often known at the gender paradox in suicidal behaviour.

i havnt looked into it. just what she said. she took the radio host by suprise , and me for that matter.
    why isnt this issue raised more often (if at all)

Muir wrote: »

i havnt looked into it. just what she said. she took the radio host by suprise , and me for that matter.
    why isnt this issue raised more often (if at all)

Yeah it's an odd one and not wekk known. Particularly incredible when you see some of the arrogance on display when people say there are no problems left for women (or men) in Ireland.

Men and women tend to use different methods of suicide. Men tend to use more violent methods like shooting, hanging. And women tend to use different methods like cutting. What it shows is that there are a lot of suicidal people and that's a pretty serious issue.

I'm happy to pay tax towards mental health services. And one of the main points of IMD and IWD is to show support for issues. It shows politicians that they can be brave and suggest changes to deal with the problems and they will have support from the people. That's essentially how these things change - if they ever change.

Shame to see clowns try to claim there are b o nm problems left in Ireland so IWD should be focused on Iran where there are real problems.

Yeah it's an odd one and not wekk known. Particularly incredible when you see some of the arrogance on display when people say there are no problems left for women (or men) in Ireland.

Men and women tend to use different methods of suicide. Men tend to use more violent methods like shooting, hanging. And women tend to use different methods like cutting. What it shows is that there are a lot of suicidal people and that's a pretty serious issue.

I'm happy to pay tax towards mental health services. And one of the main points of IMD and IWD is to show support for issues. It shows politicians that they can be brave and suggest changes to deal with the problems and they will have support from the people. That's essentially how these things change - if they ever change.

Shame to see clowns try to claim there are b o nm problems left in Ireland so IWD should be focused on Iran where there are real problems.
    the problem i have with IWD is that they ignore genuine issues like this and focus on men bashing and talking rubbish about pay gaps that dont exist.

nobody would mind IWD if it did this or just celebrated genuinly good women that have achieved something

the problem i have with IWD is that they ignore genuine issues like this and focus on men bashing and talking rubbish about pay gaps that dont exist.

nobody would mind IWD if it did this or just celebrated genuinly good women that have achieved something

Depends on how you use it. I found out that info about suicide being the main cause of death in the 5-34 age group because of IWD. I ignore lots of news every single day. I did he same in IWD. Reading articles that wind you up isn't mandatory. It's completely up to you.

Depends on how you use it. I found out that info about suicide being the main cause of death in the 5-34 age group because of IWD. I ignore lots of news every single day. I did he same in IWD. Reading articles that wind you up isn't mandatory. It's completely up to you.

i have to agree. i have started ignoring a lot of threads on here and not listning to newstalk as much especcially ciara kelly. better to ignore that crap as much as possible,
    sometimes its not posible to ignore . the media pushes the femanist nonscience all the time.
    i wish the put more focus on genuine issues not made up ones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

i wish the put more focus on genuine issues not made up ones

The media isn't allowed. I heard on The Last Word the amount of protection and anonymity they are giving the kids who murdered Ana Kriegel its literally illegal to report on it.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    The media isn't allowed. I heard on The Last Word the amount of protection and anonymity they are giving the kids who murdered it doesnt have to be specific cases Ana Kriegel its literally illegal to report on it.

it doesnt have to be specific cases or unusual cases like mirders.
    focus on general issues like domestic violence, suicide or self harm etc

haow about stuff like all the pressure women put on each other to look good , most of that makeup , fashion , home decor is done for other women.

Advertisement