Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

m17 wrote: »
    New ross co Wexford 03/03/19
    IMG]

Again, 'Snowy' =/= 'Cool'.

It's a very poor photograph; out of focus, poorly composed, large area of basically nothing at the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It's a very poor photograph; out of focus, poorly composed, large area of basically nothing at the top...

It's called sky

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's not the photography forum, it's more of a thread where people can post photos they like, irrespective of how good they are technique-wise. It's not a thread for "real" photos only, either, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's New Ross for you, a large area of basically nothing, best shown out of focus.

New Home wrote: »
    It's not the photography forum, it's more of a thread where people can post photos they like, irrespective of how good they are technique-wise. It's not a thread for "real" photos only, either, BTW.

I'm wary of veering away from "Discussion" and into "Back Seat Modding" here, but if you'll bear with me for a mo...

The OP said (my emphasis):
    Hows about we start a cool pictures thread. I've seen loads of photos that are great but don't belong in the photos that shook the world thread.
    If it catches on, can people please give a short description of what the photo is. And provide links if you want.

The intention of the thread is "great photos". So, yes, the skill of the photographer comes into it: a bad photo of a great subject is still a bad photo.

But, yes, if a photographer wants to show off their own skill, then the Photography forum would probably be a better place.

That said: Back garden photo from same poster = much better!

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    It's called sky

Looks better when it's got a cloud or two, a bit of interesting colour, etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

josip wrote: »
    That's New Ross for you, a large area of basically nothing, best shown out of focus.

Is that the road to nowhere? Well maybe to the ferry? :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Worztron wrote: »
    474987.jpg

...and he's a good boy!

Worztron wrote: »
    At what distance do you stop caring?

¦________________¦

Around about there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

At the risk of a-paddlin', but American stereotypes of Irishness always do fall a bit patronisingly flat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

cdeb wrote: »
    At the risk of a-paddlin', but American stereotypes of Irishness always do fall a bit patronisingly flat...
    Point out one thing that's wrong.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Point out one thing that's wrong.

3, 8, 9 and the last one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Not playing professional basketball is not the first thing I'd associate with being Irish. (Technically it's not wrong, but it's hardly relevant)

We don't have cops here; we have the gardaí. (I don't think I have any relations who are a guard, firefighter, bartender, etc, though happy to acknowledge I'm probably unusual in that regard)

Most of my childhood meals were roast, not boiled.

Didn't spend much of my childhood on my knees in prayer.

I certainly don't know a Sully MacMurph. I've never even called anyone "Mac"; that's an Americanism. Macker, yes, but not Mac.

I don't have any sisters or cousins called Mary, Eileen, Catherine or (another Americanism) Colleen.

And as a chess mod, I do have to point out that I remember 14 moves of theory in the French Winawer Poison Pawn variation, so it's certainly not true that I only remember grudges. :)

So yeah, some of it is true, and it gets more true if you go back maybe ten years from me, but it still just comes across as an Americansed view of Irishness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is an American post about Irish Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

It should be titled “What it means to be American-Irish”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Anyone think the "children lost on holiday" post is a step too far, or is everything ok in that thread? Just trying to gauge the thread, not trying to be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

Anyone think the "children lost on holiday" post is a step too far, or is everything ok in that thread? Just trying to gauge the thread, not trying to be awkward.

Yeah a bit much. Did you report it?

wally79 wrote: »

Yes but others appeared to have found it funny. It makes fun of dead children though, I think it's in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes but others appeared to have found it funny. It makes fun of dead children though, I think it's in bad taste.

News reports on Friday said Shamima Begum's baby is alive and well. Leading to theorists believing that the other two are also alive and possibly just taken for future recruiting.

I don't know anything about that, but I have visited some toilet sites on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Guffy

Although not to my taste, humour is subjective. did you report the #gasthejews88 post?

Guffy wrote: »
    Although not to my taste, humour is subjective. did you report the #gasthejews88 post?

I don't remember that post tbh. Although I do remember the discussion here about 88.That's why I asked the question is everything ok in that thread. Like you say it depends on the person. I usually just ignore what I find a bit offensive but for some reason that one annoyed me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Lots of jokes aren’t funny, if we deleted everything that someone objected to we might as well shut down the forum.

wally79 wrote: »

Did you report this one about kids dying in Africa? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109604807&postcount=4642

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Did you report this one about kids dying in Africa? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109604807&postcount=4642

The difference between this one, the post about gasthejews88 and your post is that the joke in yours is real children having died. The others are clearly more humorous, and not about specific tragic events. You can see this, but then again, it's AH, so....

dulpit wrote: »
    The difference between this one, the post about gasthejews88 and your post is that the joke in yours is real children having died. The others are clearly more humorous, and not about specific tragic events. You can see this, but then again, it's AH, so....

Real kids have died in all of those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Real kids have died in all of those situations.

The Bono story never actually happened. That story is going around for a couple of decades.

(but i know what you mean - I'm just being devils advocate :p)

The joke in this post is not directed at the fact that the children have died. In your post it is. I see them differently.

Suckit wrote: »
    The Bono story never actually happened. That story is going around for a couple of decades

The Bono speech happened where he describes kids dying, the Post was making fun of the situation.

I suppose it’s all very subjective.

• Advertisement

The Bono speech happened where he describes kids dying, the Post was making fun of the situation.

I suppose it’s all very subjective.

Suppose so. Anyway we will agree to differ.

Advertisement