Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have ye read this absolute tripe?

Options
  • 09-03-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭

So yesterday, being International Womens Day, gave rise to the permanently offended feminists to have a voice. Usually, I ignore them. I'm all for equality, as long as it means equal. But this was brought to my attention by a colleague. 30 reasons why men are misogynists. That's not the article name, but it should be.

If you have a spare 5 minutes, have a sconce at what one of our leading (presumably, I don't read papers) news papers, the Irish Times, gave the go ahead for this person to actually have this tripe published in their paper.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/stop-saying-you-don-t-like-condoms-and-29-other-ways-men-can-make-women-s-lives-easier-1.3817577

Here's a few nuggets:

1 Don’t be afraid to identify as a feminist. Recognise that feminism benefits everybody – yes, even men – and ignore those who equate it to “man-bashing”.

3 Consume more art and media by women. Did you know women can write books, make podcasts and direct films? And did you know that men are allowed to watch, read or listen to them? Crazy, I know. [Inferring all men are stupid]

4 Watch women’s sports. And not just when Ireland are in contention for a gold medal.

5 Stop bragging that you don’t know who [insert random celebrity here] is. Not knowing Cardi B is neither a talent nor a virtue.

9 Embrace your inner Instagram boyfriend. There is nothing worse than asking someone (read: a man) to take a photograph of you only for him to half-heartedly snap four photos and completely miss your light in all of them. If Barack Obama can do it, so can you.

[The following one is golden]

10 While you’re at it, learn your own angles. Anyone who has ever combed through Tinder will tell you that men are largely incapable of taking a flattering selfie. There is a reason why every discussion about a man includes the phrase, “He doesn’t look like his photos.” It doesn’t have to be this way. Make like Simon Harris and ask a woman in your life to teach you the art of the selfie.

12 Try have a smidge more spatial awareness at gigs and festivals. Don’t stand directly in front of women a foot shorter than you and proceed to block her view and mosh. It’s a buzzwrecker.

17 Lift up the toilet seat. Don’t force a woman to go through the indignity of sitting on a toilet seat covered in speckles of wee. (Because we all piss on the seat...)

18 Don’t point to Magic Mike and the Diet Coke ads as evidence that men and women are objectified equally. Are you really trying to equate two pieces of pop culture with centuries of women being objectified?

24 Read and share articles on issues affecting women. Very often, it is left to women to consume and disseminate stories relating to #MeToo, gender discrimination, domestic abuse, reproductive health and more. Educate yourself on the issues affecting the other 50 per cent – and tell your friends.

25 If a woman accuses an actor, musician, comedian or athlete you like of sexual assault, don’t automatically assume she is doing it for fame or money. There are far easier ways to get rich and famous.

28 Vote for women. Curb your own biases and support female political candidates. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭francois

#Triggered

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Didn't think that would be the first reply. Expected it on the first page, just not the first reply.

And yes, I'm triggered for pointing out an article that is to 'help' men become more like women... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

In fairness, you've ignored all the good points. The 'locker room talk' one is particularly relevant. Amazing how many men who consider themselves sound sit there silent, or laughing along, as other men refer to women as b1tches, sl*ts or talk degradingly about them.

The Diet Coke ad point is good as well, as are some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The pink killer

The selfie one is funny cause most women look nothing like there photos especially after she's taking her mask (makeup) off.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

29. Don't buy the Irish Times and give oxygen to this crap.

• Advertisement

The selfie one is funny cause most women look nothing like there photos especially after she's taking her mask (makeup) off.

And if we don't wear make-up, we're accused of not making an effort. You can't f**king win.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

In fairness, you've ignored all the good points. The 'locker room talk' one is particularly relevant. Amazing how many men who consider themselves sound sit there silent, or laughing along, as other men refer to women as b1tches, sl*ts or talk degradingly about them.

You spend much time in men's locker rooms lainey?

"Sluts" isn't always used derogatively. Some people happen to think sluts are great craic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I read this self-indulgent, vomitous, masturbatory journalistic opinion piece earlier.

Its naive, blinkered and very condescending to women, its insulting to men and questions the intelligence of everyone.

The Times is going down the toilet with its increased pandering to the fleeting fashions of the LCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Found it quite benign to be honest. Some good points in there, in particular about listening to women and not getting hostile/defensive as a default.

It’s Saturday afternoon, grab yourself a coffee, head to a cafe or a park, do some casual people watching. You’d be contributing more to the world and less to your blood pressure than yet another anti women’s day thread.

Spleerbun wrote: »
    You spend much time in men's locker rooms lainey?

"Sluts" isn't always used derogatively. Some people happen to think sluts are great craic ;)

Bit literal minded, aren't you? Heard plenty of it in pubs, on buses and other places I'd rather have not heard it. And you're proving the point here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm not sure that's true. Sat in a pub as a man we all knew had returned from a Utd game the week before and had stories of going to hookers and wasn't very nice talking about his wife or women in general. We all let him talk for a good 10 minutes and then he was told to take a hike. Not sure if anyone told or would tell his wife.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's true. Sat in a pub as a man we all knew had returned from a Utd game the week before and had stories of going to hookers and wasn't very nice talking about his wife or women in general. We all let him talk for a good 10 minutes and then he was told to take a hike. Not sure if anyone told or would tell his wife.

Proving the point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

It’s Saturday afternoon, grab yourself a coffee, head to a coffee or a park, do some casual people watching. You’d be contributing more to the world and less to your blood pressure than yet another anti women’s day thread.

Except no women watching you pervs!

(Kidding)

JPCN1 wrote: »
    29. Don't buy the Irish Times and give oxygen to this crap.

I don't. I actually thought they had joined the ranks of expecting people to pay to access online, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Yes, there may be 1 or 2 good points, but I'm still calling this out due to the rest of the misandrist points. I find it funny that she's trying to tell men to stop doing what men are generalised about doing.

The 'locker room talk' is all but gone imo. I rarely hear anyone say anything like that anymore, but if I do it's usually received to no reply. People are scared to join in, so they don't. Or it's between 2 friends who have to cop on to know not to say it in front of other people, because other people will take it out of context.

But expecting me to start watching women's sports. I barely watch any sport, so any I do watch is just the main bits. Did you know that up until 2014, there have been 11 dunks in the totality of the WNBA? Dwight Howard has 2,523 on his own. I watch basketball highlights for the dunks. But according to this person, I should watch it anyway, just because it's got women in it.

And expecting me to learn how to take a selfie?! Really?! How about telling women to stop posting fake imagines of their fake happiness online so people can tell them how great they are! I don't post any selfies.

Again, I'm all for equal rights, as long as it's equal. This article spouts some truths, but also a lot of generalised misandrist statements and expectations outside of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That IS a very good point.

The gig one is kinda nonsense though. As a short person, I get annoyed at recording devices being held aloft blocking my view but not taller humans doing so. They can’t help being taller than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

So yesterday, being International Womens Day, gave rise to the permanently offended feminists to have a voice. Usually, I ignore them. I'm all for equality, as long as it means equal. But this was brought to my attention by a colleague. 30 reasons why men are misogynists. That's not the article name, but it should be.

If you have a spare 5 minutes, have a sconce at what one of our leading (presumably, I don't read papers) news papers, the Irish Times, gave the go ahead for this person to actually have this tripe published in their paper.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/stop-saying-you-don-t-like-condoms-and-29-other-ways-men-can-make-women-s-lives-easier-1.3817577

Here's a few nuggets:

1 Don’t be afraid to identify as a feminist. Recognise that feminism benefits everybody – yes, even men – and ignore those who equate it to “man-bashing”.

3 Consume more art and media by women. Did you know women can write books, make podcasts and direct films? And did you know that men are allowed to watch, read or listen to them? Crazy, I know. [Inferring all men are stupid]

4 Watch women’s sports. And not just when Ireland are in contention for a gold medal.

5 Stop bragging that you don’t know who [insert random celebrity here] is. Not knowing Cardi B is neither a talent nor a virtue.

9 Embrace your inner Instagram boyfriend. There is nothing worse than asking someone (read: a man) to take a photograph of you only for him to half-heartedly snap four photos and completely miss your light in all of them. If Barack Obama can do it, so can you.

[The following one is golden]

10 While you’re at it, learn your own angles. Anyone who has ever combed through Tinder will tell you that men are largely incapable of taking a flattering selfie. There is a reason why every discussion about a man includes the phrase, “He doesn’t look like his photos.” It doesn’t have to be this way. Make like Simon Harris and ask a woman in your life to teach you the art of the selfie.

12 Try have a smidge more spatial awareness at gigs and festivals. Don’t stand directly in front of women a foot shorter than you and proceed to block her view and mosh. It’s a buzzwrecker.

17 Lift up the toilet seat. Don’t force a woman to go through the indignity of sitting on a toilet seat covered in speckles of wee. (Because we all piss on the seat...)

18 Don’t point to Magic Mike and the Diet Coke ads as evidence that men and women are objectified equally. Are you really trying to equate two pieces of pop culture with centuries of women being objectified?

24 Read and share articles on issues affecting women. Very often, it is left to women to consume and disseminate stories relating to #MeToo, gender discrimination, domestic abuse, reproductive health and more. Educate yourself on the issues affecting the other 50 per cent – and tell your friends.

25 If a woman accuses an actor, musician, comedian or athlete you like of sexual assault, don’t automatically assume she is doing it for fame or money. There are far easier ways to get rich and famous.

28 Vote for women. Curb your own biases and support female political candidates. :rolleyes:

...So basically be a good White Knight and put women on a pedestal?

It gave me a good laugh anyways!

Found it quite benign to be honest. Some good points in there, in particular about listening to women and not getting hostile/defensive as a default.

It’s Saturday afternoon, grab yourself a coffee, head to a coffee or a park, do some casual people watching. You’d be contributing more to the world and less to your blood pressure than yet another anti women’s day thread.

It's not an anti-womens thread, it's a 'look at this dope trying to tell men what to do while calling it feminism' thread. How can someone make a serious article but use sweeping generalisations in it?

S

No, just no. if you want a good spot a gig, get there in time to have one. If you can't see, move.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,605 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This was the best one.

8 Please don’t use our expensive beauty products. Run out of your six-in-one shampoo/conditioner/face wash/body wash/shaving cream/pepper sauce? Do not under any circumstance blindly reach for the €33 shampoo purchased because it was once recommended by Haim. That stuff is precious gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

3 Consume more art and media by women. Did you know women can write books, make podcasts and direct films? And did you know that men are allowed to watch, read or listen to them? Crazy, I know.

Unless it's Christopher Nolan, I generally have not got a clue who has directed or wrote the movie. If the better movies so happen to be made by men, then so be it.

In general, mens sports are better due to higher skill level & athleticism. I get supporting them but if I only have a few hours a week to watch sport, why would I choose a lower quality game over a higher quality one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I assume that there is no aspect of women's behaviour that can be questioned or even commented on. Is there no such thing as women who behave badly?
    We used to be told that nobody is perfect. This obviously means that no man is perfect because all women, of course, are perfect and may not be criticised, either individualy or generally, in any circumstances?

No, just no. if you want a good spot a gig, get there in time to have one. If you can't see, move.

In fairness, lots of people push in front of you. Many a time I've gotten to a gig hours early to have a good view, and some tosser pushes their way to the front (often where their mates have been waiting) and stands right in front of me 10 minutes before the thing starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Jeeeeeeez I never realised woMEN where so desperate to be LeADerS,. look if it's any consolation, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Naos wrote: »
    Unless it's Christopher Nolan, I generally have not got a clue who has directed or wrote the movie. If the better movies so happen to be made by men, then so be it.

In general, mens sports are better due to higher skill level & athleticism.
    I get supporting them but if I only have a few hours a week to watch sport, why would I choose a lower quality game over a higher quality one?

That's total sh1te. You don't think female gymnasts have impressive skills and athleticism? You don't think sprinters and hurdlers are impressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

33 euro for a shampoo? Janey mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Er, have only read the op, but those points are grand. Don't have an issue with them, plus they seem tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

That's total sh1te. You don't think female gymnasts have impressive skills and athleticism? You don't think sprinters and hurdlers are impressive?

I find women's hurdling most unimpressive. The hurdles are far too low. It's more of a race for sprinters than hurdlers.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I find women's hurdling most unimpressive. The hurdles are far too low. It's more of a race for sprinters than hurdlers.

You don't think that's because women are ..... generally shorter? Weird mentality that because women are built differently to men that their sports are inferior. In my eyes, watching Simone Biles do a double twisting double layout somersault is equally as impressive as watching a big tall man jumping over hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

How is it total ****e? Yes, female gymnasts have very impressive skills and are extremely athletic.

Equally, female sprinters and hurdlers are impressive but not as impressive as the men, because men can run and finish the race faster in both events.

• Advertisement

In fairness, lots of people push in front of you. Many a time I've gotten to a gig hours early to have a good view, and some tosser pushes their way to the front (often where their mates have been waiting) and stands right in front of me 10 minutes before the thing starts.

Height is not a gender issue. I'm small for a man, but I don't expect anyone else to put themselves out because of it. It's my problem to deal with.

He never said that, but the interest in gymnastics is not as high as the interest in, say, soccer. If you only watch a small bit of sport a week, why would you watch something you've no interest in?
    Er, have only read the op, but those points are grand. Don't have an issue with them, plus they seem tongue in cheek.

The article doesn't read like it's tongue in cheek though, it seems completely serious. And you think it's grand to expect men to do the things she is asking because it will make women feel more included?

Advertisement