Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident - claim from own insurance or other driver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If you need the car now, I would suggest claiming under your own insurance as suggested. You will be refunded the €300 excess if successful

BTW, If you claim under your own policy and recovery from the 3rd party is on-going, it is not an 'Open Claim'. It is technically 'settled' and can be disclosed as such. Success with the recovery changes the status as 'closed, settled against 3rd party'

My sister rang her own Broker to enquire about claiming from her own Policy and then the Insurance Company would recover. She was told that it would be an "Open Claim" as long as the recovery process was ongoing. Also, as it is the same Insurance Company they could decide not to pursue recovery and then my sister would have a Claim on her own Policy going forward
    and also if they fail to recover that she would have a Claim on her own Policy. She would need to pay €300 in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

L1011 wrote: »
    If the other vehicle has been inspected, determined as written and the driver is claiming to have no recollection of the incident, would the insurer not want to get her sent for medical examination with the aim of getting her off the road as she's clearly mentally incapable?

I was in a crash where the other driver ran a red and t-boned me.
    She let it slip to one of the Gardai she didn't remember but changed this after.

He attended court and his statement was what helped it through. It did take 3 years though.

It should have never went that far and I firmly believe as I was a lot younger they sides with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

L1011 wrote: »
    If the other vehicle has been inspected, determined as written and the driver is claiming to have no recollection of the incident, would the insurer not want to get her sent for medical examination with the aim of getting her off the road as she's clearly mentally incapable?

The Insurance Company have not made any queries at all since and seem to have accepted this single sentence reply in an Email from the Broker.

Advertisement