Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Toots wrote: »
    Excellent idea! And while I'm at it, I really should test the jar of nutella in the press, to make sure it's not poisonous. It's the responsible thing to do ;)

Good idea I’ve been testing my jar of Nutella non stop since Saturday. So far no sign of poison but I’ll keep checking.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Loughc wrote: »
    Good idea I’ve been testing my jar of Nutella non stop since Saturday. So far no sign of poison but I’ll keep checking.

Sometimes the poison is right at the bottom of the jar, so best to be thorough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ha, happy pancake Tuesday to all.

I had planned last night to kick start the road back with a run early this morning, I left all my gear in the spare room and all. Sadly our wee one was out of step yesterday and we were still trying to settle her at 1am. My alarm went off at 5:50 and I dragged my arse around the lake for 4km. All perky now in the office but will struggle by 3pm. However I have client here this week from Amsterdam and he wants to go on the piss after work.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Fair play Jude! I would have defo turned over for another 30 mins of sleep!

I'm going to the gym for literally the first time in over a year at lunchtime! I've signed up to PT sessions twice a week on the days I WFH so hopefully it works out! It will mean that I need to start work an hour earlier as I don't normally take a lunchbreak on those days but fingers crossed. I really need to get more active - I can really feel it, not just physically but also mentally.

On the other hand, it's been that long since I've been to the gym, the possibility of me collapsing is quite high! Pray for me :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Fair play Jude! I would have defo turned over for another 30 mins of sleep!

I'm going to the gym for literally the first time in over a year at lunchtime! I've signed up to PT sessions twice a week on the days I WFH so hopefully it works out! It will mean that I need to start work an hour earlier as I don't normally take a lunchbreak on those days but fingers crossed. I really need to get more active - I can really feel it, not just physically but also mentally.

On the other hand, it's been that long since I've been to the gym, the possibility of me collapsing is quite high! Pray for me :P

Yeah well done Jude! I'd deffo would have been rolling over this morning.

You'd be fine at the gym, it's great for stress relief and toning up!

How are the wedding plans coming along? Everything going smoothly?

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, good news is the drinks may be put off until tomorrow.

CL you'll be grand at the gym, just shout a lot when lifting weights, it seems to be the done thing.

How are the wedding plans coming along? Everything going smoothly?

Ah yeah, I think everything is under control. Ordered BM dresses last week so they are suited and booted now, got a sample of the invites too. Sure will be grand :) Not getting stressed out over it :)

Sure will be grand :) Not getting stressed out over it :)

And it will be grand too, you're dead right don't stress the small stuff it'll all be right on the night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ha, happy pancake Tuesday to all.

I had planned last night to kick start the road back with a run early this morning, I left all my gear in the spare room and all. Sadly our wee one was out of step yesterday and we were still trying to settle her at 1am. My alarm went off at 5:50 and I dragged my arse around the lake for 4km. All perky now in the office but will struggle by 3pm. However I have client here this week from Amsterdam and he wants to go on the piss after work.....

Fair play for getting up. I had the alarm set for 5am, however woke at 4.30 and head the rain banging on the window, so alarm off and back to sleep.

Happy pancake day to all, plan to over indulge and work extra hard the next few days!

Cheers pal. It was about 18 degrees here and I was annoyed that I was wearing a light singlet and not a rugby jersey and hat so I would defo not gone if it had been real cold and raining.

Im thinking crushed almonds and maple syrup on my pancakes.

• Advertisement

I survived the gym yay! And it turns out my fitness is not at rock bottom either! I wont be winning any races but I won't be last either :) Happy out!

I survived the gym yay! And it turns out my fitness is not at rock bottom either! I wont be winning any races but I won't be last either :) Happy out!

That’s brilliant. Knowing that you can do it is half the battle the next session will be so much easier as you’re going into it with no fear.

Go you, just the motivation you need to smash it CL.

That’s brilliant. Knowing that you can do it is half the battle the next session will be so much easier as you’re going into it with no fear.

This is spot on, the heaviest lift it lifting your arse off the couch/bed to get going to the gym/run. Fair play to you.

I have somehow managed to cut my heal, not a blister but a cut, right where my shoes rub so running is off the cards for a day to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

So I took the plunge and weighed myself this morning and I've 6kg to lose, dear god.. please tell me all you secrets

So I took the plunge and weighed myself this morning and I've 6kg to lose, dear god.. please tell me all you secrets

The biggest secret is hard work, there's nothing more to it than that.

It's all calories in versus calories out, so what ever works for you, having fresh low cal meals helps, exercise what ever works for you, drink lots of water, good for you and helps keep you feeling full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You can do it. I’ve a really long road ahead but 1 stone 5.5 down so far this year, six to go. It takes time, planning and you need to be in the right headspace

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

For me, losing weight was just cutting out 'most' of the crap. Not starving myself, not doing ANY exercise except swimming from time to time.

The changes I made were:
    -Joining slimming World
    -Keeping a log of everything I ate
    -Cutting out most alcohol :(
    -Planning every breakfast/lunch/dinner
    -Continuing to have nice things, but within reason, like a Special K bar instead of 10 jaffa cakes or a homemade pizza instead of Dominos
    -Not getting completely derailed when I went off plan
    -Still having rare/occasional treats, because a life without Chinese food is not a life I want :pac:

Best of luck with it, we're all here for support!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Thanks guys, I've been away on holiday and really let myself go, paying for it now, however back using my fitness pal, drinking a litre and a half of water and trying to hold out my breakfast until midday, as the evening is when I get most hungry.. the gym is just a whole other mission for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks guys, I've been away on holiday and really let myself go, paying for it now, however back using my fitness pal, drinking a litre and a half of water and trying to hold out my breakfast until midday, as the evening is when I get most hungry.. the gym is just a whole other mission for me

Delaying breakfast means you're fasting for over 12 hours which can slow your metabolism. Try porridge or something that will keep you fuller for longer. Eating a lot in the evening with little or no activity to burn it off might be counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Caranica wrote: »
    Delaying breakfast means you're fasting for over 12 hours which can slow your metabolism. Try porridge or something that will keep you fuller for longer. Eating a lot in the evening with little or no activity to burn it off might be counterproductive.

Intermittent fasting doesn't slow your metabolism at all! It's a very sustainable and easy way to lose weight.

However, if you're hungry at breakfast time, eat. Don't skip meals unnecessarily. Fasting is good if calorie counting isn't working but calorie counting on its own is more sustainable for most people to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Intermittent fasting doesn't slow your metabolism at all! It's a very sustainable and easy way to lose weight.

However, if you're hungry at breakfast time, eat. Don't skip meals unnecessarily. Fasting is good if calorie counting isn't working but calorie counting on its own is more sustainable for most people to do.

Wow, have just been reading about it. I actually studied cell biology and did a lot about metabolism but that was 20 years ago. I left science when I moved back to Ireland in the early noughties and hadn't been keeping up. Thanks!

Been out of the gym since the 23 Jan, I was hoping to get back this week but I have a good awful sore throat, cough and chesty thing, along with sweats.

I have been cast out to the spare room so the wee on doesnt get ill. I got the flu jab in September so no idea what this is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no- hope you bounce back soon, Jude!

Cheers, I need to knock it quick, its not fair on my OH that I can't do feeds etc. Snowed under here in work too which doesnt help. The little ones passport was meant to arrive here this week but hasnt, they are saying it may arrive the day before my OH and wee one are meant to fly home so stress levels are high.

Cheers, I need to knock it quick, its not fair on my OH that I can't do feeds etc. Snowed under here in work too which doesnt help. The little ones passport was meant to arrive here this week but hasnt, they are saying it may arrive the day before my OH and wee one are meant to fly home so stress levels are high.

I wouldn't worry about the gym too much at the minute. Sounds like you have other things to focus on, main one being your health and getting back to 100%.

Ha I know, I'm sick and am 'woe is me', my OH had a baby 7 weeks ago and is killing it.

Anyway I had a salad for lunch and I actually ate some of the green stuff.

Ha I know, I'm sick and am 'woe is me', my OH had a baby 7 weeks ago and is killing it.

Anyway I had a salad for lunch and I actually ate some of the green stuff.

Women are brilliant (or so my wife tells me :D)

That's a start!

They are indeed and just to clarify, 'killing it' was in relation to how good she is at being a mother with ease, not in relation to harming the baby.

As a man in with two daughters, a wife, and a female dog who had no female siblings or cousins I wholeheartedly endorse your statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Didn't weigh last week as I had a bad week. :o

Weighed this evening, down 3 :D

Advertisement