Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like I need to watch the first episode myself and then make a choice.

The IMDB parent guide doesn't seem like it's too bad.

Watch it yourself is the only way you know. Also some movies and series vary how she suitable they are from one one show to the next. Another option site is here...

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/the-umbrella-academy

I think there is a big difference between a 12 and a 15. We might be desensitised to age ratings having watched much older stuff for 20yrs plus.

12 is still primary school for a lot of kids. It's this what you want them taking about in yard.

I only watched some of the first episode so I can't really comment. But for me it's a no thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sheehan played a similar character in misfits years ago, tbh I think its just his style and one he does well but it is an over the top character alright

Agreed. The thing with misfits was I initially thought the same about Sheehan “a bit much” but his character grew on me and I loved it by the end of the first series.

I think seeming misfits has allowed me to jump on board with sheehans character here a lot quicker. He plays it very well and is way more interesting then the boring crap he’s done in movies over the last few years.

Loving this show. On episode 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Liked this a lot. As mentioned above number 5 is going to age, but they should be able to pull off one more season in a couple of years time.

But number 7 didn't
    cause the apocalypse
    It was the intervention of the other 6
    that caused her to go all super cyclops

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed. The thing with misfits was I initially thought the same about Sheehan “a bit much” but his character grew on me and I loved it by the end of the first series.

I think seeming misfits has allowed me to jump on board with sheehans character here a lot quicker. He plays it very well and is way more interesting then the boring crap he’s done in movies over the last few years.

Loving this show. On episode 6.

Ya i think it might be the same with me I accepted it very quickly here too.

Up to 7 and I'm finding it very entertaining I'm a big fan of the quirkier kind of shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

2 episodes in I really like it, not the standard superhero show and all the better for it

I did notice a color disparity in some scenes in the later episodes was there any meaning to it, or was it just making some scenes very vivid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I did notice a color disparity in some scenes in the later episodes was there any meaning to it, or was it just making some scenes very vivid

If your thinking about the scene with the little girl on the bike , then yes it’s on purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah bollox. Finished it this morning...

Absolutely loved it. From an enjoyment scale I give it 10/10. So much fun and likable characters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Skerries wrote: »
    for a show set in 2019 there is a severe lack of technology i.e. smart phones and computers even though they have a robot maid

the show could be cut down to 4 episodes if they all just used whatsapp

It's prob not set in this world. Not a big deal for me.

Think it's garbage. Bar the young kid, the best acting is from his mannequin girlfriend. Ellen Page is generally terrible but she's setting new low standards in this.

It's like a bad YA fantasy novel for me.

I did like how they used the concept of time in this though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Intriguing pilot episode anyway, and it's pretty obvious where the inspiration is coming from, with its school of gifted youngsters. The premise and story tease was enough to keep me going ...

Pretty slick affair, Pojo the monkey looked great for an ostensible TV show. Of course knowing Netflix this will probably run for 2 series before getting the axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Finished this over the weekend, loved it. Some cracking songs on the soundtrack too

Women in Refrigerators time... :rolleyes:
    Watching it but I'm just not sure about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Only watched the first episode so far, but it looks promising and (as others have pointed out) the music and direction is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

OmegaGene wrote: »
    There is a soundtrack playlist on Spotify released by Netflix btw

It doesn't include the Phantom of the Opera violin medley from Episode 1 though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It doesn't include the Phantom of the Opera violin medley from Episode 1 though :(

Here you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Here you go

Thanks but I'd love to have it in my music library :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Totally new cast or the youngsters I wonder

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Probably unknown but likely the same cast, be very unusual to change the cast that everyone has got to know and start afresh for a sophomore season (not withstanding those multi seasons series that are single season based) - they didn't strictly follow the comics in the first season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished episode 5. Feels like we just finished introductions to the characters, universe and plot and now we're ready to jump into the story to make this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finished the season this evening. Loved it from start to finish. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Imagine ones in coming years showing the opening to girls saying that's what happens if you get close to a boy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Only on episode 3 but am enjoying this. The soundtrack is spot on. Dream Theater and Tiffany in the one episode was unexpectedly genius.

I can’t explain without giving away spoilers
    Too late really isn't it?

not really, there are several possibilities for the next series and they are two of the options i dont want to see but seem to be floating around online, i liked thought the actors playing the 7 were very good.
    I'm referring to your failure to use spoiler tags earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a bit X-men meets a Series of Unfortunate Events isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Finished it, really enjoyed it throughout.

And what terrible spoiler did I give away that would ruin the series for anyone ??
    Totally new cast or the youngsters I wonder
    Maybe use a shred of common sense?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've watched five episodes now, and for the first time it fully feels like everything is starting to come together. I found it to be very much a slow burner but it's getting there now and I'm really enjoying it. On to the next five!

Just finished episode 8, this show has gone from being ok to being terrific! Wow at
    Vanya killing Allison, although I'm not ruling out the timeline being reversed and she'll somehow survive. But jesus what a twist!

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t consider that’s a spoiler, doesn’t ruin the series for anyone by saying what happens just a theory about the next series, entertainment websites were also discussing the same thing wondering where the series will go next ie continue or do a true detective

Ah, it was a spoiler. It depends on your perspective as to whether it was a big spoiler or not. Re info in entertainment websites. A person would read those knowing there could be spoilers. On boards the etiquette would be to spoiler tag such information. In this case the information seemed to come from knowledge of the comics and, for me personally, gave an indication of what was possibly coming up next. For example in the Walking Dead there are separate threads for those that have read the comics and those that have not, similar GOT. In my opinion a spoiler, but not a major one.

Although I further agree that it's likely they'll keep with the existing TV characters.

I wouldn’t consider that’s a spoiler, doesn’t ruin the series for anyone by saying what happens just a theory about the next series, entertainment websites were also discussing the same thing wondering where the series will go next ie continue or do a true detective
    I've finished the series now and it's 100% a spoiler. When in doubt use spoiler tags, I'm not sure why this is such an issue that you feel you need to latch on to. A spoiler doesn't need to "ruin the series" - the "theory about the next series" is inherently a spoiler about the last episodes.

The difference between this and entertainment websites is that people don't have to click into those spoilers. You're not a new poster, you should be used to the way this forum works by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Of course it was a spoiler. How can that even be debated?

A spoiler doesn't have to directly say "X dies" or whatever to be a spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

My 13 yr old is loving it but you know your child better than anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Heckler wrote: »
    Only on episode 3 but am enjoying this. The soundtrack is spot on. Dream Theater and Tiffany in the one episode was unexpectedly genius.

Quoting myself. I really thought that was an orchestral arrangement of Dream Theatre The best of Times, considering the song is about the loss of a father it would have been fitting.

Tiffany is still great.

Slydice wrote: »
    Just finished episode 5. Feels like we just finished introductions to the characters, universe and plot and now we're ready to jump into the story to make this season.

Well, I was a bit off the mark there! :eek::D

Just finished. Really enjoyed that series. Felt really well done and got loads of surprises on me. The powers and stories felt newish or refreshed enough too.

Needed to know! but couldn't find much on a season two but..

Number One (Tom Hopper as Luther) and Number Three (Emmy Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison) in an interview don't discount a possible second season:
    ‘The Umbrella Academy’ Cast on Superheroes, Stunt Work, and Season 2 Hopes
    http://collider.com/umbrella-academy-cast-interview-tom-hopper-emmy-raver-lampman-david-castaneda/#season-2
    This season leaves things pretty open and on a big cliffhanger.
    Have you had conversations about where things could go next? Do you have any idea?

RAVER-LAMPMAN: We don’t really know anything about a second season. I have my list of what
    I think Allison should be.

HOPPER: We know what the show is now, so we’ve all got our own ideas about what we should do.

RAVER-LAMPMAN: I think the biggest question is,
    where and when? Where did they go, and when did they go? Five was responsible for taking us somewhere that’s not a self-imploding planet, so where are we?

HOPPER: The options are wide open for that.

RAVER-LAMPMAN: Truly, it could be anything, which is so exciting because I felt like that, reading every episode, as we shot Season 1. Now, we’re potentially looking at a wide open second season. I have no idea. I don’t even know where to begin with it because we could start all over. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Slydice wrote: »
    Needed to know! but couldn't find much on a season two but..

Number One (Tom Hopper as Luther) and Number Three (Emmy Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison) in an interview don't discount a possible second season:
    ‘The Umbrella Academy’ Cast on Superheroes, Stunt Work, and Season 2 Hopes
    http://collider.com/umbrella-academy-cast-interview-tom-hopper-emmy-raver-lampman-david-castaneda/#season-2

Eh, it's already been renewed for a second season. Been all over the web so no idea how you couldn't find it!

Cina wrote: »
    Eh, it's already been renewed for a second season. Been all over the web so no idea how you couldn't find it!

Cool, give us a link to use for the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Totally new cast or the youngsters
    I wonder

10000% a spoiler dude, sorry.
    Almost everyone dies at the end
    , so how can that NOT be a spoiler? Please be more careful in future.

Regarding the reported posts - we can't add allow unspoilered discussion about Netflix shows because all episodes are available at once and everyone watches at their own pace. Spoiler tags are a necessary evil in these kinds of threads, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    Regarding the reported posts - we can't add allow unspoilered discussion about Netflix shows because all episodes are available at once and everyone watches at their own pace. Spoiler tags are a necessary evil in these kinds of threads, I'm afraid.
    For how long? Forever with Netflix series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At a rate of one episode a week seems fair. So 10 weeks for this series.

Finished the series finally, don't think the end was as strong as it could have been, but overall a very enjoyable series. Will be interesting to see what they do with the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

flazio wrote: »

That seems reasonable enough: and not because I'm only at episode 6 :D

People have different speeds of consumption, and seems only fair to give some grace period before allowing spoilers up the wazoo.

As to the show, it hasn't been mentioned I don't think, but it speaks to the overall quality of TV these days that a photorealistic CGI talking monkey can be part of the show and we just accept it. It's a fantastic piece of FX work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

flazio wrote: »

I'd nearly go one episode a day and expect spoilers after that. One episode a week would be far too long to wait to post without having to use spoiler tags. Sure for shows that have say 13 episodes, that's 3 months after airing before people could talk about it without spoiler tags? Far too long imo.

Ultimately, when shows are released like this, it's best to avoid entering online discussion threads about it until you've finished it. Use spoiler tags for at most the first month, but after that it should be fair game and enter at your own risk.

• Advertisement

Problem is, everyone watches at their own pace because that's the nature of the beast; streaming services are a bit of a wild west. 3 months seem extreme, but then were the show broadcast on a normal station that'd be the length of time anyway. A blanket 10 weeks then add "**SPOILERS**" gets added to the title is as good an arbitrary value as any...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Just because old fashioned TV airs week to week, why do we have to adhere to that before dropping spoiler tags? It is madness and everyone knows it. It's not logical.

No one's claiming TV discussion is logical :) And AFAIK there's no silver bullet figure being used on the forum; but nor is it a big ask for a little leeway to those not watching the show in a 'binge' format. Everyone's welcome to discuss the show, just requires people to be mindful that not everyone is going to be at the same point.

I didnt think it was a spoiler bc i hadn't a clue what it was about

Just finished the season there now. I think i got more and more into it as it went along. Definitely will watch the next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would take talk about something that hasn't aired yet as a spoiler.

Be that a current seasons unaired episodes or for a streaming networks announced story lines on an upcoming renewed season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement