Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Dav010 wrote: »
    I haven’t read that they require that in any other city where regulations like this apply. I did read that there was no significant drop in number of listings in US & Canadian cities where they were introduced. I can’t see any platform requiring that if they are not legally compelled to do so, and as that article you read states, it isn’t illegal to advertise online.

In Vancouver, AirBnb require property owners to enter their business license number before listing. AirBnb doesn't check if it's valid but they do require it to be displayed. After they brought in this requirement, this happened

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/nearly-1-000-short-term-vancouver-rental-listings-removed-since-april-1.4212655

In London, the AirBnb platform limits the number of nights that a property can be rented out for to 90 days per year.

So yes, it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d say less wear and tear. Realistically few guests will use the cooking facilities. You probably won’t have the occupancy you do have.

Definitely more wear and tear, people are just less careful. Occupancy is not a problem for most City Centre AirBnBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In Vancouver, AirBnb require property owners to enter their business license number before listing. AirBnb doesn't check if it's valid but they do require it to be displayed. After they brought in this requirement, this happened

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/nearly-1-000-short-term-vancouver-rental-listings-removed-since-april-1.4212655

In London, the AirBnb platform limits the number of nights that a property can be rented out for to 90 days per year.

So yes, it's possible.

Airbnb requested my business/vat number, I explained that I do not have a business which requires vat registration, no problem, they said they just have to ask.

<SNIP>

Regarding wear and tear, apart from using wine glasses and the occasional fry, over the past year the guests in my place rarely use the kitchen. It’s mostly empty pizza boxes. After one year, we have had to repair not replace nothing.

Mod Note

From the forum charter:
    Giving Legal Advice / Advocating illegal activity
    Illegal stuff is illegal. It’s site-wide policy that advice, hints or suggestions of illegal or dubiously legal action are forbidden. Same applies to users who are looking for ways to circumvent situations in an illegal manner. Posts will be removed or snipped and the user may incur a ban or infraction for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Airbnb requested my business/vat number, I explained that I do not have a business which requires vat registration, no problem, they said they just have to ask.

It entirely depends on the city requirements - in Vancouver's case they have an agreement with AirBnb that a business license number has to be inputted and has to be displayed on every list.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Airbnb isn't over regulated in ireland yet.
    What happens with anything involved in overregulation is that people start to find other ways.
    Over regulation is bad.

If Airbnb are seen to be helping with the over regulation people just go elsewhere and forget all about using Airbnb to advertise their property. The reason Airbnb got so big was they made it easy to rent your property to guests. If other providers get too complicated, they will drop them too.

From the people doing Airbnb who I have been speaking to (and I have been speaking to many, as it interests me) they tell me that the first thing they do is leave Airbnb and go to other platforms and things like social; media and many platforms that aren't even in their own country.

They go back to the old ways of letting their properties short term. Except that now there is a global demand for it and everyone knows so many ways of finding short term lets now there is an endless supply.

There were always people letting short term. Airbnb globalized it and grew the market exponentially. But now the market is so big Airbnb aren't actually needed. They have become too big for their own good. They are more expensive and impossible to contact so people are happy enough to leave them and go the other routes.

it is easy to move away from Airbnb for short term lets. happens in other countries where short term letting has been regulated. You just have to google it and you will find out if you are curious how owners drop Airbnb when regulation goes too far. Or ask someone already doing Airbnb now and they will no doubt already have researched this with their peers and be able to tell you.

I actually just got a text message from yet another Airbnb host I stayed with last night in a city that's regulated now. He gave up Airbnb it seems. Heres what the text says "Dear former guests. Please be noted than my add goes off air this month. My email is zzz@zzz.zzz. Former guests of mine can rent my properties at the same rates they rented them before. I extend this offer to your friends too. Heinz".

And that's not the first text ive gotten from a former host of an Airbnb ive stayed with before.

Im sure if I call him he will tell me what he does now that he is leaving Airbnb. That will be interesting.

The demand is so huge now of people sick of paying outrageous hotel prices that they will find a way to get accommodation Airbnb style but without AirBnb. And that's true in Ireland too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Airbnb isn't over regulated in ireland yet.
    What happens with anything involved in overregulation is that people start to find other ways.
    Over regulation is bad.

If Airbnb are seen to be helping with the over regulation people just go elsewhere and forget all about using Airbnb to advertise their property. The reason Airbnb got so big was they made it easy to rent your property to guests. If other providers get too complicated, they will drop them too.

From the people doing Airbnb who I have been speaking to (and I have been speaking to many, as it interests me) they tell me that the first thing they do is leave Airbnb and go to other platforms and things like social; media and many platforms that aren't even in their own country.

They go back to the old ways of letting their properties short term. Except that now there is a global demand for it and everyone knows so many ways of finding short term lets now there is an endless supply.

There were always people letting short term. Airbnb globalized it and grew the market exponentially. But now the market is so big Airbnb aren't actually needed. They have become too big for their own good. They are more expensive and impossible to contact so people are happy enough to leave them and go the other routes.

it is easy to move away from Airbnb for short term lets. happens in other countries where short term letting has been regulated. You just have to google it and you will find out if you are curious how owners drop Airbnb when regulation goes too far. Or ask someone already doing Airbnb now and they will no doubt already have researched this with their peers and be able to tell you.

I actually just got a text message from yet another Airbnb host I stayed with last night in a city that's regulated now. He gave up Airbnb it seems. Heres what the text says "Dear former guests. Please be noted than my add goes off air this month. My email is zzz@zzz.zzz. Former guests of mine can rent my properties at the same rates they rented them before. I extend this offer to your friends too. Heinz".

And that's not the first text ive gotten from a former host of an Airbnb ive stayed with before.

Im sure if I call him he will tell me what he does now that he is leaving Airbnb. That will be interesting.

The demand is so huge now of people sick of paying outrageous hotel prices that they will find a way to get accommodation Airbnb style but without AirBnb. And that's true in Ireland too.
    I think people are talking more of a clampdown on the standard of these properties and the clampdown by revenue on the hosts.
    Whatever about the method of advertising, the practise of these short term lets will become more regulated.

kippy wrote: »
    I think people are talking more of a clampdown on the standard of these properties and the clampdown by revenue on the hosts.
    Whatever about the method of advertising, the practise of these short term lets will become more regulated.

Its been discussed to death in the thread. I don't think anyone is afraid of a clampdown in Ireland at this stage. As with everything, it will be all bluster for the media, and no action because action costs money and requires you to prove your results.

What will happen will be more like this.
    They will probably bring in rules, then see people leaving Airbnb and quote the numbers leaving Airbnb as a success, without actually figuring out that they have just moved somewhere else. But that will be job done, look how we've solved short term letting and helped the common man. Arent we great. Next popular idea please.

Typical political answer and nothing thats actually worked at all. But what will have happened is that short term letting will have just moved underground and they wont even be getting their tax for most of it that they are getting now.

What they will have done is what they have done with every "intervention". They will have just made it worse than it was when they started.

I guarantee 100% that the only new properties for rent by this time next year will be very expensive apartments from REITS. If you were under any illusion that private landlords were getting out last year, you certainly wont be by this time next year. I know of not one person from all of the people I know letting at who is staying letting. They have to a man now decided that they are giving notice and selling, or if they have good tenants, just deciding to let them stay til either they leave or their current part 4 is finished and then getting the hell out of the game for good. Nobody is going to renew a part 4. Nobody is going to take on a new tenant when one leaves.

Now it has to be said that this out of maybe 15 people who I know well enough that they would tell me. But this time last year about 50% said they were going to stick it out. 100% now saying they are out at the next opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think it's stupid to rent anything from people who just contact you over social media. It's up there with winning Spanish lottery or giving your bank detdetails to Nigerian minister.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think it's stupid to rent anything from people who just contact you over social media. It's up there with winning Spanish lottery or giving your bank detdetails to Nigerian minister.

Its how it was done for years before Airbnb.
    Anyway its not just social media. Its a combination but I can say here as I got infracted for telling people how to break a non existent law yesterday, so wont be explaining it anymore.
    But google is your friend as they say. The world is at your fingertips if you are curious how easy it is.

Staying there for the first time yes but if you have booked a place through booking.com or Airbnb etc and want to stay there again then contacting them directly or then letting you know it’s best to contact them directly would not worry me.

Pretty much every b&b or apartment I’ve stayed in here and abroad always asks on check out to contact them directly if I ever want to stay again and not go through a booking site. Even if a person can’t chance advertising on any site I think there will be plenty of business for many Airbnb hosts from repeat business, word of mouth advertising etc and this will be impossible to stop and has a much higher chance of being under the table too so revenue lose out.

• Advertisement

Pretty much every b&b or apartment I’ve stayed in here and abroad always asks on check out to contact them directly if I ever want to stay again and not go through a booking site.

I have found that too with any Airbnb property I have ever stayed in. Some hotels too that I stayed in from booking.com on checkout have given me their card and said that I would get a preferential rate if I call them direct when booking in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Hotels and b&bs are regulated, individual lets not regulated by anyone because they operate outside the law are more like buying an iPhone that fell off the truck. If that's your thing fine but don't expect the same protection if you show up at the flat that's already occupied by someone else and the "owner" is nowhere to be found.

Hotels and b&bs are regulated, individual lets not regulated by anyone because they operate outside the law are more like buying an iPhone that fell off the truck. If that's your thing fine but don't expect the same protection if you show up at the flat that's already occupied by someone else and the "owner" is nowhere to be found.

Ive shown up at a hotel once where they hadn't a room for me that id booked.
    Ive showed up at a B and B where they had given the room away before we arrived.

Ive never had that happen with Airbnb or homeaway.

But I guess it could happen and ive heard stories about it.

But one thing I think I wouldn't be happy about and something that is far more likely nowadays is a government and charity sponsored seizure of my rental property by a rogue tenant.

Its all about risk/reward. If you aren't happy with the risk then you shouldn't be using the platform you are using.
    Personally I would much rather the risk of short term rental than long term rental in Ireland nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As opposed to ringing a phone number, and paying a deposit to an B&B like what used to be done?
    If that's your thing fine but don't expect the same protection if you show up at the flat that's already occupied by someone else and the "owner" is nowhere to be found.
    If you arrive to a hotel, only to find out that your room was double booked, and there's no more rooms at the hotel, there's not much you can do but look elsewhere for a room, and look at getting your money back afterwards. Regulation doesn't really do much when you get screwed.
    For a prosecution, inspectors will actually have to prove a guest stayed in the same way a tv inspector has to prove you don’t have a license by calling to your door.
    SFA chance of someone renting an AirBnB will answer the door to a stranger (the inspector).
    I honestly don't know how any landlord can air bnb their property. I would always prefer to have a trustworthy tenant over an unknown person/people possibly ruining the gaffe and with the market the way it is, work/previous tenancy references are very easy to provide. Maybe I'm just too protective.
    The work reference could be someones mate, and the best landlord references are by landlords who want to get rid of the existing tenant. The tenant, once in, can stay a lot longer without paying rent, with very little chance of evicting them in a short time frame.
    Graham wrote: »
    Hundreds of properties added back to the residential market in some of the most in-demand parts of the country.
    I'd say the majority of said landlords got out of the market because of a bad tenant. The apartment LL's will probably just sell off their stock. The housing landlords could go legit, and rent the house out nearly every weekend. Are the rents from AirBnB charged the same tax as the rents from a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ckblackrock

Bob24 wrote: »
    I would expect more wear and tear with people coming in and out every couple of days:
    1) moving things in an out of the apartment all time will cause minor damage overtime (which ads up if it is everyday)
    2) realistically, on average people won't be as careful in holiday renting as they are at home
    3) they will be as minority but while the fact of changing tenant all the time makes it easier to get rid if crap people who don't care, it also pretty much guarantees that you will get some of those for a few days once in a while

@Bob24, you don’t know what you are talking about. I had a bad experience with tenants in a rental property (house) I own a few years ago and moved over to Airbnb renting. Airbnb tenants have been a joy to deal, even without comparison with the residential tenants who crammed a 3 bedroom house with 15 bed spaces and wrecked it (and of course, if the press had got hold of this “callous overcrowding” story my name would have been dragged through the mud as a slum landlord).
    Fact: Yes, it is more time consuming to manage than a long term rental. Fact: despite all the cr**p you read about Airbnb hosts raking it in, after all expenses and empty nights are taken in to account, I am probably getting the same or even less net income as from a long-term rental (rents have rocketed in my area).
    I have to point out to the many financially illiterate posters on this forum that gross income is not the same as net income. I use a company that manages Airbnb properties who charge a percentage of the gross income I receive from Airbn on each letting, plus the linen and cleaning fees work out at about e100 per turnover (so for short lets of 2 or 3 nights off-season, I might make less than e30 night after all running costs and before income tax of course). Take into account broadband costs of around e700 p.a., higher insurance costs, heating bills, refuse collection, cleaning and breakfast supplies and all the other overheads that a long-term tenant would ordinarily pay which an Airbnb host pays for. I also pay over 50% of net income in tax and PRSI as I am completely tax compliant. However, even if I was to earn 20% less from Airbnb I would prefer it to doing long-term rentals and it has provided complete peace of mind.
    I am now planning on selling up. I would be happy to return to long-term leasing if I had some protection against bad tenants, but looks like things are getting worse for landlords instead of better. If I don’t get the sale price I am looking for, I would prefer to leave the house empty and just use it for family and for house swaps abroad, because after all expenses my after-tax income from a very valuable asset is probably around 10,000 a year. This is a significant amount of money, sure, but the house is worth in excess of 300,000: why would I entrust something so valuable to potentially cr**p tenants who could trash the place, over-hold and cost me thousands in reinstatement costs ? I have already had the experience, thank you very much, and don’t wish to repeat it.
    The only thing that would persuade me to rent outside the Airbnb platform would be if tenants who stop paying rent, create a nuisance for neighbors or damage property could be evicted promptly. For starters, it should be obligatory that any tenants in dispute with landlords should have to lodge the agreed rent with the PRTB. No disputes should be entertained by the PRTB where rent is being withheld. Likewise, landlords should have to lodge the tenant’s damage deposit with the PRTB at the start of a tenancy. That way everyone’s rights are protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

References aren't worth the paper they're written on. A previous LL isn't going to give a bad reference if they want rid and a work reference is completely useless.

A previous landlord has already got "rid", hence the "previous". Just insist on a new reference from a previous landlord, not the prospective tenant's current landlord. Sheezh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Nermal wrote: »
    Regulation removes choice. If you like hotels, stay there. If you like taxis, take them. I will continue staying in AirBNBs and taking Ubers.

Also, is there any actual evidence - other than anecdotal - of this wave of antisocial AirBNB guests? No host wants inconsiderate, messy, noisy guests. The feedback and ratings on the platform are set up to prevent them.

It’s not perfect. A friend gave guests a deserved bad ratings and they in return gave her a bad host rating in retaliation. After some and forth, they both just changed the ratings to neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

@Bob24, you don’t know what you are talking about. I had a bad experience with tenants in a rental property (house) I own a few years ago and moved over to Airbnb renting. Airbnb tenants have been a joy to deal, even without comparison with the residential tenants who crammed a 3 bedroom house with 15 bed spaces and wrecked it (and of course, if the press had got hold of this “callous overcrowding” story my name would have been dragged through the mud as a slum landlord).
    Fact: Yes, it is more time consuming to manage than a long term rental. Fact: despite all the cr**p you read about Airbnb hosts raking it in, after all expenses and empty nights are taken in to account, I am probably getting the same or even less net income as from a long-term rental (rents have rocketed in my area).
    I have to point out to the many financially illiterate posters on this forum that gross income is not the same as net income. I use a company that manages Airbnb properties who charge a percentage of the gross income I receive from Airbn on each letting, plus the linen and cleaning fees work out at about e100 per turnover (so for short lets of 2 or 3 nights off-season, I might make less than e30 night after all running costs and before income tax of course). Take into account broadband costs of around e700 p.a., higher insurance costs, heating bills, refuse collection, cleaning and breakfast supplies and all the other overheads that a long-term tenant would ordinarily pay which an Airbnb host pays for. I also pay over 50% of net income in tax and PRSI as I am completely tax compliant. However, even if I was to earn 20% less from Airbnb I would prefer it to doing long-term rentals and it has provided complete peace of mind.
    I am now planning on selling up. I would be happy to return to long-term leasing if I had some protection against bad tenants, but looks like things are getting worse for landlords instead of better. If I don’t get the sale price I am looking for, I would prefer to leave the house empty and just use it for family and for house swaps abroad, because after all expenses my after-tax income from a very valuable asset is probably around 10,000 a year. This is a significant amount of money, sure, but the house is worth in excess of 300,000: why would I entrust something so valuable to potentially cr**p tenants who could trash the place, over-hold and cost me thousands in reinstatement costs ? I have already had the experience, thank you very much, and don’t wish to repeat it.
    The only thing that would persuade me to rent outside the Airbnb platform would be if tenants who stop paying rent, create a nuisance for neighbors or damage property could be evicted promptly. For starters, it should be obligatory that any tenants in dispute with landlords should have to lodge the agreed rent with the PRTB. No disputes should be entertained by the PRTB where rent is being withheld. Likewise, landlords should have to lodge the tenant’s damage deposit with the PRTB at the start of a tenancy. That way everyone’s rights are protected.

We’re talking differential in wear and tear, and you are replying with a long post on how Airbnb makes more financial and practical sense to you.

Fair enough if it does and good for you, but it is completely separate from the weat and tear discussion and the points I was making in the post you quoted, and doesn’t invalidate any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It’s not perfect. A friend gave guests a deserved bad ratings and they in return gave her a bad host rating in retaliation. After some and forth, they both just changed the ratings to neutral.

That's not how the rating system works.

You can't see the other rating until you submit your rating or the rating period expires in which case only one rating will appear.

You can't submit a rating after that.
    Bob24 wrote: »
    We’re talking differential in wear and tear, and you are replying with a long post on how Airbnb makes more financial and practical sense to you.

Fair enough if it does and good for you, but it is completely separate from the weat and tear discussion and the points I was making in the post you quoted, and doesn’t invalidate any of them.

Wear and tear on a normal rental is more than an AirBNB

AirBNB renters don't really cook that often, use the washing machine, dish washer and are out most of the time as they are on vacation or at an event.

Have done both and had less wear and tear going the AirBNB way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ckblackrock

redcup342 wrote: »
    That's not how the rating system works.

You can't see the other rating until you submit your rating or the rating period expires in which case only one rating will appear.

You can't submit a rating after that.

Wear and tear on a normal rental is more than an AirBNB

AirBNB renters don't really cook that often, use the washing machine, dish washer and are out most of the time as they are on vacation or at an event.

Have done both and had less wear and tear going the AirBNB way.

Absolutely correct: after two years renting to long-term tenants I had to repaint from top to bottom, I had to get a professional company in to steam clean the the cooker, extractor and oven, had to replace the sofa and armchairs because the covers were filthy - even after dry-cleaning - and getting new covers made was more expensive than replacing the suite; had to remove sticky fixit pads all over the place; the seal around the sink had failed and tenants hadn’t reported it, so the cabinet shelving below it had rotted and had to be replaced; and there wasn’t a dish, pot or pan left when the tenants moved out. There were lots of other problems. After two years letting on airbnb the most I have had to do is wash a few scuff marks on the walls and wash cushion covers occasionally. Some guests leave the house so spotless, the cleaner has almost nothing to do except make the beds. This is pretty standard (when I stay in Airbnb myself, I also make sure to leave the property spotless when I leave.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The pending legislation will regulate a practice (short term letting) rather than a website or platform (airbnb). So 'move to another platform' is not going to be a solution.

Essentially people in this thread are suggesting breaking the law because they believe enforcement will be minimal to non existent. Fair enough, that's up to people to gamble on if they like. When it comes to renting as a landlord there are loads of gambles you can try in the current market. You can try upping your rent over the maximum allowable amount in an RPZ. You can tell your tenant you're selling or need your son to live in the property and whip it back on daft a week after they've moved out. You can give your tenants less notice than they are entitled to - maybe even in person with a couple of big lads you know who have been described as threatening in the past. You can even come and **** their stuff out onto the street while they're at work and change the locks to be rid of them if they're annoying you. You might not get caught, the other party might just eat it.

And so, take the gamble if you want. Not everyone is like me or people I know who live in Dublin City Centre: awkward people waiting for legislation to come in and willing to report the flats on our corridor or the houses on our street transformed to a hotel. And willing to take photos, maybe knock on the door and ask the people there what the story is. Maybe your neighbours (not all of them are dirty pleb renters, some of them may own their residences!) will keep the head down and not bother. Maybe your guests will rent off you and accept terms to the short term let about not speaking to anyone during their stay, keeping noise to a very low level and trying to be like a ghost or whatever. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Or maybe you won't get lucky and a criminal conviction, a fine and a reference to your name on a google search for ever more will be a significant inconvenience. I don't know, we'll see. There have always been cowboy landlords. Not all of them get away with it forever, but some do. Fair play to them, great bastions of the free market one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The pending legislation will regulate a practice (short term letting) rather than a website or platform (airbnb). So 'move to another platform' is not going to be a solution.

Essentially people in this thread are suggesting breaking the law because they believe enforcement will be minimal to non existent. Fair enough, that's up to people to gamble on if they like. When it comes to renting as a landlord there are loads of gambles you can try in the current market. You can try upping your rent over the maximum allowable amount in an RPZ. You can tell your tenant you're selling or need your son to live in the property and whip it back on daft a week after they've moved out. You can give your tenants less notice than they are entitled to - maybe even in person with a couple of big lads you know who have been described as threatening in the past. You can even come and **** their stuff out onto the street while they're at work and change the locks to be rid of them if they're annoying you. You might not get caught, the other party might just eat it.

And so, take the gamble if you want. Not everyone is like me or people I know who live in Dublin City Centre: awkward people waiting for legislation to come in and willing to report the flats on our corridor or the houses on our street transformed to a hotel. And willing to take photos, maybe knock on the door and ask the people there what the story is. Maybe your neighbours (not all of them are dirty pleb renters, some of them may own their residences!) will keep the head down and not bother. Maybe your guests will rent off you and accept terms to the short term let about not speaking to anyone during their stay, keeping noise to a very low level and trying to be like a ghost or whatever. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Or maybe you won't get lucky and a criminal conviction, a fine and a reference to your name on a google search for ever more will be a significant inconvenience. I don't know, we'll see. There have always been cowboy landlords. Not all of them get away with it forever, but some do. Fair play to them, great bastions of the free market one and all.

Maybe read the Irish Times article linked earlier in the thread. The head of DCC planning office outlined how to have the proof needed to prosecute, they actually have to catch the guest in the property. Maybe photographs won’t prove anything, maybe guests might not take kindly to someone knocking on their door asking who they are. Maybe the proposed legislation won’t come in at all, maybe the financial gains may make the risks worth while. Who knows, maybe it’ll all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Essentially people in this thread are suggesting breaking the law because they believe enforcement will be minimal to non existent.

Well, not just that - also because they believe the law to be unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The regulation will be enforced by catching people renting their AirBnB at the weekend. Can't see that happening.
    maybe even in person with a couple of big lads you know who have been described as threatening in the past. You can even come and **** their stuff out onto the street while they're at work and change the locks to be rid of them if they're annoying you.
    When you consider how much you'll lose in rent, and also legal fees in evicting people who don't pay rent, the fine is starting to look like a business expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

€400k, wow. You seem to be missing the point, in order to prosecute, the council or whoever is going to “police” it, are literally going to have to catch the guest in the property, online bookings will not be proof enough. So, leaving aside all the administrative/set up costs, 400k will probably employ around 4 people (each one needs a car of course to travel to property) How many will jump in their car to rush straight to you when you phone? The guest may well be gone the following morning.

The simplest way of enforcing, and the one that has worked best in other countries is to introduce a licensing system (already mentioned by government) and to make it an offense for the platforms to advertise properties that don't have a license.

If licenses are linked to a unique identifier (eg the LPT number) then it is a relatively easy task for the local councils to get a list of all licenses and nights stayed in a property from each of the the platforms. Enforcement notices can then be issued to property owners who exceed the number of nights allowed.

Also remember - the proposed regulation will limit short term lets to a landlord's primary residence. I would imagine this would need to be provided in order to get a license.

Council needs additional staff for enforcement at any rate - so I would imagine this is a way to do it.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

Apps are now in development for councils to keep track of people that rent out their homes short term. If your property is online and is booked online, the info is sent to the local council. Only going through trial stages yet in Oz and New Zealand, but it doesn't take too long for these apps to go main stream.
    The apps were originally developed to help landlords that had long term tenants, if the tenants were going away for a week, and they decided to put the house online for a short term let while they were away or when there was an event in town and huge demand for beds for a night or two, the property owner would be notified that their house was put online for a short term let. What was a friend to the Landlord is now a foe to the short term renter...
    No matter how stupid you may think politicians, councillors, tax collectors are...they will always be a few steps ahead and looking at the long term situation rather than the short term outlook...In 5 years or so, they will have the whole short term let system totally under control and 95% of people paying what they are meant to pay. There will of course always be that small 5% who spend their lives trying to be smarter than the system..forever looking over their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is this new legislation just concerning cities where there is high demand for houses or will small towns be included?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maybe read the Irish Times article linked earlier in the thread. The head of DCC planning office outlined how to have the proof needed to prosecute, they actually have to catch the guest in the property. Maybe photographs won’t prove anything, maybe guests might not take kindly to someone knocking on their door asking who they are. Maybe the proposed legislation won’t come in at all, maybe the financial gains may make the risks worth while. Who knows, maybe it’ll all change.
    Really what you are insinuating is that it was more of the usual bull**** from Eoghan Murphy who uses Airbnb as the bogey man and distract people from the housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is this new legislation just concerning cities where there is high demand for houses or will small towns be included?

It's nationwide, you have to apply for planning permission. They've already said it is unlikely to be granted in high demand areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Will this ultimately drive down rents in Dublin as more properties enter the long term rent market?

Advertisement