Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Dublin accent dying?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Here's a thing. The majority of people from the country have terrible accents. I'm not saying that as any animosity towards them, in fact, I work and socialize with them. When they talk to me, they try and speak clearly but as soon as they start talking to each other, the language turns foreign and you have no idea what they are talking about. I feel embarrassed when I say to them, "sorry what was that?, say that again".

There are Chinese and other nationalities in the locality and I can understand them easier than the country people.

Dublin accent any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

nullzero wrote: »
    You've succinctly summed up the existence of everyone with a Dublin accent with such ease.
    Can't wait for me Ray and chips later, have a lovely tip that I must get down to the bookies to back, but I just have to collect me dole money and pop home and knock the missus about a bit first.

Thanks be to jaysus dem culchies are runnin the place while I have me feet up, dis is de life.
    This is a perfect illustration of the Dublin condition: someone comes in speaking generally then a person from Dublin takes it personally and makes it all about themselves. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

nullzero wrote: »
    Kevo, he was bleedin rapid.

Simon Delaney speaks with a normal Dublin accent, nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just keep repeating it. A four year old has no idea and thinks you're being stupid. Eventually she will take it on board. It usually takes a kid till about the age of seven to get a handle on basic English grammar. Crisps is a horror of a word to say, she just can't pronounce it yet - logjam of consonants!:p

Unless she’s home schooled she will pick up her accent from her peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Turty tree. Down dere. Dats right.

It does me bleedin' head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nothing new there. When I was a chizler in primary school in the 1970s, I was the only child in my class who had two parents both born in Dublin. And even I only had one out of four grandparents born in Dublin.

All accents are developing all the time, and all middle-aged and older people complain that young people are losing their accents/speaking in affected accents/being swamped by foreign accents/whatever. It was ever thus.

id say its not new but there must be a massive percentage explosion in the last ten years with the growth in the technology sector etc.. as dublin 'recovered' quicker than the rest of the country a lot of people have settled here.. huge about of kids and famillies from other countries as well.. i thikn in general 'accents' must be diluting or at least have changed a bit in last 20 years.. someone mentioned tv etc and it does have some impact..no one could place my accent when i moved to dublin and i reckon its cause i watched to much tv/movies..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unless she’s home schooled she will pick up her accent from her peers.
    Yeah she will or from TV but I don't think the poster was talking about accent. That peer thing can be mitigated much later if you feel it needs to be.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    This is a perfect illustration of the Dublin condition: someone comes in speaking generally then a person from Dublin takes it personally and makes it all about themselves. :rolleyes:

That’s a bit like saying, after making a general comment about black people, that it was just you speaking generally and now an individual black person is making it about themselves by getting upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

People can have mixed accents and it not be fake too. There's so much judgement and you have no idea the circumstances. I say basil like an American and call all toilets bathrooms. It's also laundry not washing. I went to high school in the US. I still say ma and jaysus and bleedin because I was born in Dublin to two parents from Dublin and lived there for 10 years or so. Can't help it but I never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Folks, it could be a lot worse, I'm surrounded by Essex accents, every sentence uttered sounds like it ends with a question mark.

• Advertisement

Yeah she will or from TV but I don't think the poster was talking about accent. That peer thing can be mitigated much later if you feel it needs to be.

He was talking about accent. The two syllables in school and the pronunciation of crisps as crips are accents.

I don’t buy that we get accents from TV, some words for sure, but not accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My grandad hailed from the Capel St tenements and spoke with an incredibly strong Dublin brogue (not "shweeeeeeeeh", but inserted a lot of Ds in words that didn't have them- eg Foreign became Forddin)

He had a stroke in his 70s and the nurses referred him for speech therapy, convinced his tongue had been affected.

He sounded the same as he always had done. It hadn't hurt his speech in the slightest.

My grandad hailed from the Capel St tenements and spoke with an incredibly strong Dublin brogue (not "shweeeeeeeeh", but inserted a lot of Ds in words that didn't have them- eg Foreign became Forddin)

He had a stroke in his 70s and the nurses referred him for speech therapy, convinced his tongue had been affected.

He sounded the same as he always had done. It hadn't hurt his speech in the slightest.

For me, Ronnie Drew will always be the benchmark. Where's me batha boogah?? :D

He was talking about accent. The two syllables in school and the pronunciation of crisps as crips are accents.
    I was referring to done and seen that. Crisps has nothing to do with accent. It's called a consonant cluster and people have to learn how to say them regardless of accents. Phonics will take care of it but they may say it in a particular accent.

Turty tree. Down dere. Dats right.

It does me bleedin' head in.

Everybody in Ireland does that, outside of the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Hopefully :D

Sorry, not sorry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Feel free to toddle off back to whatever bog you came up from.

Don’t be so thin-skinned. All I said is that the ‘salt o da erth’ Dublin accent is a noise that can be irritating at best, and downright offensive at worst. It’s an accent that gives impression of John Player Blue, a day ‘in da boooookeees’, battering the wife, Ray and chips for dinner, racing pigeons, and never having worked a day in your life.
    Not at all! I love a proper Dub accent. Sexy AF! (I've got a hybrid accent of various parts of England and Ireland )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You don't really here the auld Dublin accent anymore. Ya know the one that somehow fits the letter 'D' in where there is none. Like fordiner for foreigner or petterdol for petrol.

Edit - Just saw this

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

That’s a bit like saying, after making a general comment about black people, that it was just you speaking generally and now an individual black person is making it about themselves by getting upset.
    And now it's a racial thing! :D:D:D When do the Civil Rights marches start? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I liked the old Dublin accent , did its skanger version always exist or where did that even come from?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I was referring to done and seen that. Crisps has nothing to do with accent. It's called a consonant cluster and people have to learnt how to say them regardless of accents.

The pronoucuation of crisps as crips is, like the two syllables in school, part of a specific Dublin accent. Inner city I would think but probably others. I seen and I done are also Dublin dialects.

It’s true that kids can actually make these mistakes growing but fuaranach was referrring to accent, given the nature of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The pronoucuation of crisps as crips is, like the two syllables in school, part of a specific Dublin accent. Inner city I would think but probably others.

No, it's not accent, it's just wrong. My brother does it. He's a gob****e though. A package/patch of crisps. Gerrup ourra dat!

Yiz can all hang yizzer bollixes off the Five Lamps. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I'm from Cork city and have heard plenty of Cork city people say I seen and I done and them shoes. I've also heard people say crips, hostible (hospital) and chimley (chimney). It seems to depend on what area you're from in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

I love the Old Mr Brennan salt-of-the-earth Dublin accent. I've less time for the played up Conor McGregor style accent, which is played up in some quarters just as much as the Americanised D4 accent is elsewhere.

Certainly not dying though.

And now it's a racial thing! :D:D:D When do the Civil Rights marches start? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

You don’t seem to be able to understand general arguments. Here’s what happened. You rubbished a group of people as being intellectually inferior.(You also used maudlin incorrectly by the way).

Clearly it was a troll. Then you got upset that someone from that group you rubbished got upset at that generalisation, and that itself (absent of logic) proved your theory. Generally these are the arguments of bigots.

It doesn’t matter what the group is, the illogical arguments you make are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yiz can all hang yizzer bollixes off the Five Lamps. :pac:

I do have a habit of using the "yizzer" term when I'm agitated....product of being a Dub several generations back and also my mother never allowing the mid atlantic accent in the house.

My other half is also a Dub all the way back, so we tend to confuse the hell out of our poor West Belfastian housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Hilarious stuff, Wokey.

Lads getting into a huff just because people point out that the classic Dublin accent sounds like a hyena being buggered by a donkey. Christy Dingam, Ronnie Drew, Auld Mr. Brennan, Joe Duffy, Bill Cullen. You'd just wish their parents had cared about them enough to send them to speech and elocution lessons.

The pronoucuation of crisps as crips is, like the two syllables in school, part of a specific Dublin accent. Inner city I would think but probably others. I seen and I done are also Dublin dialects.

It’s true that kids can actually make these mistakes growing but fuaranach was referrring to accent, given the nature of this thread.

It's individual sounds and the problem of combining them i.e. s-p-s. No big deal for an adult or older children but a challenge for smaller kids until they are exposed to phonics and how to form sounds. "Done" and "seen" are a common fossilized form in many parts of the English-speaking world, not just inner-city Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

The level of urban/rural (or rather Dublin/ everywhere else) divide generally in Ireland is ridiculous for a country this small.

Advertisement