Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Given it started with the lure of 3 cans for a tenner, it's weird to see how much the promotion has changed!

Great long term booking
    Top notch imports
    Amazing home grown talent
    Booze not being an essential part of the drawing power

Heady days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

brianblaze wrote: »
    Given it started with the lure of 3 cans for a tenner, it's weird to see how much the promotion has changed!

Great long term booking
    Top notch imports
    Amazing home grown talent
    Booze not being an essential part of the drawing power

Heady days

yeah its a completely different ball game now in terms of direction - back then there wasn't the big indie scene then so they were trying to generate their own buzz using Gimmicks/Ex-WWE guys and Cans. Still would love to experience one of those old school packed out Tivoli's again like Ah Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

showpony1 wrote: »
    biggest exaggeration made on this thread?
    (other than that Courage had sold well).

The capacity of the Arena is 2.5k officially, they had one side gone for the entrance but the floor was covered with seats as well. Pretty much every seat was full, it would be easily a couple of thousand there.

The capacity of the Arena is 2.5k officially, they had one side gone for the entrance but the floor was covered with seats as well. Pretty much every seat was full, it would be easily a couple of thousand there.

There wasn’t “several” thousand there mate as you said which means more than 3,000. There may have been 1,500. In your opinion that was the biggest attendance in ott history so. Happy for you to come back with the official number

Can't we all just be fans and not argue over exactly how successful something is, and just be happy it is successful?

• Advertisement

Can't we all just be fans and not argue over exactly how successful something is, and just be happy it is successful?

Was happy not to continue discussing that but the guy came back doubling down :)

Id Prob describe myself as more a student of the craft than a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Was happy not to continue discussing that but the guy came back doubling down :)

Mate stop. Some of the stuff you're saying is laughable to anyone who's working within the industry (I'd happily break down how to you if you like but I don't want to full on have a go either). There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan, it's probably the least strenuous and most consistently rewarding relationship you can have with wrestling.

If you want to be an actual student, come down to a training school or, if you don't want to actually wrestle, figure out another way you can offer something to promotions that they don't have already (like Brian did sure), and you can easily learn how it all works from the inside. It's more accessible here now than it ever has been before! But, as it stands, you're coming across patronising to other fans when you've no right to be and coming across as ignorant and a bit cringe to anyone who reads your stuff and knows the suss. It's like saying you're a student of movies without ever being near a movie set or doing a class on it and your only qualification is "Yeah I've watched a fair few movies." That's not what a student is...

leggo wrote: »
    Mate stop. Some of the stuff you're saying is laughable to anyone who's working within the industry (I'd happily break down how to you if you like but I don't want to full on have a go either). There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan, it's probably the least strenuous and most consistently rewarding relationship you can have with wrestling.

If you want to be an actual student, come down to a training school or, if you don't want to actually wrestle, figure out another way you can offer something to promotions that they don't have already (like Brian did sure), and you can easily learn how it all works from the inside. It's more accessible here now than it ever has been before! But, as it stands, you're coming across patronising to other fans when you've no right to be and coming across as ignorant and a bit cringe to anyone who reads your stuff and knows the suss. It's like saying you're a student of movies without ever being near a movie set or doing a class on it and your only qualification is "Yeah I've watched a fair few movies." That's not what a student is...

The student thing was a tongue In cheek comment mate but thanks for not having a “full on” go at me :) it seems to be a subject you’re sensitive around by the looks of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The student thing was a tongue In cheek comment mate but thanks for not having a “full on” go at me :) it seems to be a subject you’re sensitive around by the looks of it!
    Lad is there any chance you could stop needling at people?

Lad is there any chance you could stop needling at people?

No worries

I see Pentagon jnr was announced for UK shows so probably can expect him on OTT in April.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Death of the Session?

I doubt it. We've been here before when Martina "got serious" for a match or two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just back from Phoenix Wrestling: Just Enough Courage to Perform this of course was the pop-up show that arose after Courage cancelled their event. It was put together on 3 days notice, scrambling to get a venue. The fact it happened at all is impressive.

Just some general notes; venue was fantastic. Circus Factory was like the perfect size. Audience was great, actually one of the better ones at their shows in Cork so far, lots of creative chants, great atmosphere! I ended up going on my own and I still got into it thanks to the awesome crowd. The turnout was actually really good too especially on such short notice. The show itself was unreal, can't believe how well this turned out in such short time. Detailed breakdown below, show will not be on VOD to my knowledge. Took some notes cause I didn't know everyone so correct away if I make a mistake;

1. Nightmare Edition vs. Retroglactic vs. Club Rock Shandy
    Good opener, crowd really got into it. Especially Club Rock Shandy. A few great spots where they all teamed-up to try chop down Tron like when a man was on each turnbuckle and jumped on him. Nightmare Editions looked like monsters as you would expect and came away with the win. Not much to say but a really fun match that got people in the mood.

2. Anita Vaughan comes to the ring
    She bigs herself up while wearing a fur coat. Crowd can't stand her. She says someone has been ducking her for a long time and she calls out OKADA! Except Raven Creed comes out (just as good). This match was fantastic, good humour spots and some great wrestling too. So as soon as Anita hears Raven is there she runs away and disappears backstage only for Raven to chase her and drag her back out. When they return, Raven is now wearing the fur coat and starts beating on Anita. There was a piano there so naturally Raven bashed Anita's head off it (what a lovely sound). Lots of back and forth, Anita looked strong here. She had a a leg submission that started on her feet, she snapped into it and ended in a bridge, looked vicious also the ref helped her out of the bridge only for her to snap into it putting Raven in more pain, so naturally Raven started shouting at the ref :D . Creed came out of it with the win but this was a great match and both women shined in it.

3. Marion Armstrong, who is also the co-promoter came out to thank the crowd for showing up and supporting Irish wrestling.
    This got interrupted by Alexander Dean followed by Butch Armstrong obviously the fallout of their last show 28 Weeks Later. Lots of heat on Butch. Corporate Cian our GM for the night declares it a tag match and Marion's partner will be Billy Bedlam the other co-promoter. Seems like we're definitely getting a stable of wrestlers unhappy with the management. Very good match, their introductions were hilarious as they kept trying to re-up one another, William also got a nice pop! Marion and Butch faced off a few times but Marion hesitated to hit Butch. Eventually it did end in them having a massive brawl rolling around and punching each other. Bedlam and Marion won the bout.

4. Bruiser vs. Steve Savage
    This was the 'not a hardcore' match or whatever it was meant to be in Courage. Really entertaining one, crowd was very into Savage. It was a real brawl, kendo sticks, cans and the like. There was a few spots that launched into the crowd. One where Bruiser was sat down in a chair in the audience and Steve delivered a violent knee to him that sent Bruiser flying back, the chair was destroyed :pac: . Some really stiff looking strikes and naturally Bruiser narrated the match as he tends to do. Bruiser won but as his music was going Butch and Dean came back out and beat Savage down eh... savagely. They stood over him arms raised. There's the stable boys!

5.Andy Steel Open Challenge
    So Andy Steel comes out, chant of the night was when someone noticed he looked like Jimmy Carr so for the rest of the night that was his name. Michael May comes out and informs Steel that here in Phoenix, it's Big Win Mick's Big Win Open Challege and that he does the open challenges around here. Naturally they fight, it was strange normally in Phoenix Michael May is a heel with Tony Kelly as a mouthpiece. May was over so much as a face when he played it in this match, people couldn't get enough of it. Regardless this was a really good match, they were very well matched opponents. Some great back and forth sequences, not much to say it was just an amazing match!

6. Floodgate Match
    Probably the most talked about match that was set for Courage. I tried to keep track of everyone in it but that was tough. So we begin with J-Money and CBL. I've never seen CBL before, he's the best thing ever :D basically he's just a big GAA lad from Longford (he also had a farmer's tan, living the gimmick) Him and J-Money had great chemistry, comedically and from a wrestling perspective. CBL came out with a cardboard Courage title. Great spot where they both knee each other in the groin. However instead of hurting their opponent they hurt their own knees because J-Money had money stuffed down his pants while CBL had... a tin foil wrapped sandwich. Amazing! This is where the match gets crazy. Midcard Mafia show up and start to attack, total madness. Luke Cullen enters the floodgate match next, so we have a sort of 3 on 3 dynamic now. Good showdown between them. Retrogalactics enter the match so we now have 8 people in the match. Some are inside and some are outside and then J-Money grabs a mic and demands they open the floodgate. This is where things got crazy. I may have even missed some people Bedlam, Club Rock Shandy, Marian Armstrong all join officially. There is now so much happening it's hard to even figure out what is going on, here's just a few things I noticed;
    Someone tried to hit CBL with the cardboard title, it had no effect. The Retrogalactics were doing the Triple H spit with cans on the outside. Club Rock Shandy were dancing and kicking people on the outside. The Midcard Mafia were bate on the outside and kinda scrambled together and rested on each other and started snapping at people for taking photos cause they were 'hurt', Marian did a cannonball in the corner followed by William launching off Bedlam's hand with a spear. Oh and at one point Bruiser just wandered over to the ring chopped and punched his way up and then went back to where he was standing, I think he just wanted to get a few slaps in :D . Andy Steel at one point looked like he was going to run in and then saw how many people were there and decided against it.

That's just the stuff I noticed, it was total insanity and a blast! A beautiful mess anyway J-Money won for which he got the cardboard Courage title and a familiar looking trophy ;)

7. MAIN EVENT- Ricky Graham v Tucker v Matt Skyler

HOLY S?*T, fantastic main event! Matt Skyler is over af, crowd was literally screaming for him and deservedly so, dude is consistently a highlight at these shows. Graham looked vicious he does a swinging guillotine choke that looks legit terrifying. He did it to Skyler and I was like oh well he's small comparitively, then he did it to Tucker, Jesus. Tucker did some flips and some of the loudest chops and kicks I've heard in person. Like I said though Skyler stole the show, he did a Fosbury flop onto the both of them. Then one of the coolest spots I've seen, Skyler was on the turnbuckle, Graham was down in the corner in front of him, he stepped off Ricky jumped on Tucker into a Canadian Destroyer (it looked like). Outstanding! There was just a great dynamic with 3 wrestlers, lots of spots of reversals or use of one move to take out both men. Well booked match, everyone looked amazing in this match. Tucker won but Skyler got the rub from him and stole the show!

Anyway; this would have been an amazing show regardless of how long it was put together in. The short timespan makes it all the more impressive. Great to see so many 'Courage' wrestlers, hope this isn't the last we see of them in Phoenix. It was a cool unpredictable card that managed to weave in some Phoenix story, some Courage story and talent and be a great showcase for new talent to the promotion along with surprises and a great show off of Irish wrestling talent. Having a wrestling show where you end up going in fairly blind too was interesting.

Sorry for how long this is, if someone wants to give Guinness a ring and see if I'm in the running for longest comment on a message board I'd appreciate it. I just figured considering this won't be on VOD and that this was such a question mark about what this show was going to be and who was going to be there that it deserved a long write-up. All that said, this turned out amazing, Phoenix nailed it. Very happy and proud of them for pulling it off so well! Their Next show is next Saturday I think at an all ages Kino show, Then on Paddys Day in Dolan's Limerick, think they have one in Waterford and then back in Cork on Good Friday. If anyone is looking to catch some action!

Fair play to Phoenix on drawing 120 people on 48 hours notice!
    I don't think the Irish wrestling companies outside of the pale get enough credit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fair play to Phoenix on drawing 120 people on 48 hours notice!
    I don't think the Irish wrestling companies outside of the pale get enough credit.

You going to the F**k Off Snakes show in Dolan's?

You going to the F**k Off Snakes show in Dolan's?
    I'm honestly not sure! I hardly know myself at the moment!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Card for Phoenix in Limerick on March 17 is shaping up.

Justy Vs Steve Savage is the main event.
    B Cool Vs Dan Barry Vs Marion Armstrong.
    Michael May Open Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

The last line of the below post is making me laugh so much with the arrogance that it is starting to hurt.

This is the wrestling fan in 2019 and THIS is why I dislike it so much. The wrestling has never been better, the fans have never been more entitled than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is the wrestling fan in 2019.

Thankfully it's not, for the most part.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately a quick scan through the irish forum on here proves otherwise.....

It's grand, much like batman, it isnt made for me anymore. Enjoy the shows and continue to bicker online ;)

Omackeral wrote: »
    Thankfully it's not, for the most part.

Unfortunately a quick scan through the irish forum on here proves otherwise.....

It's grand, much like batman, it isnt made for me anymore. Enjoy the shows and continue to bicker online ;)

But... We are all marks!

Anyway,
    Rovert 2
    is probably lovely in real life!

Legit no idea what that means.....

Very much not rovert 1, 2 or 3. Read my posts and you'll figure it out

But... We are all marks!

Anyway,
    Rovert 2
    is probably lovely in real life!

Legit no idea what that means.....

Very much not rovert 1, 2 or 3. Read my posts and you'll figure it out

Was not in reference to you! (and also, twas a joke!)

Firstly, I'd say there's quite a difference between ''internet'' fans and fans in general. Some online fans are certainly up their own holes but the majority, the vast majority, on this site here are bang on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I remember joining a couple of Irish wrestling fans Facebook pages a few years ago and dropping them after a couple of days. The hatred towards anything WWE and sheer excitement at the mere mention of anything NJPW was bizarre, it's probably worst now with AEW. They would take things that John & Wai would say on their podcasts as facts and get mad when you point out that maybe John & Wai were just projecting their own ideas into the show, which reviews often do.
    Things are much better here on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The only time I was ever in a wrestling Facebook group it just seemed to be people trying to catch out wrestlers for something potentially offensive they said on twitter. Not my idea of a good time to be honest so I left fairly sharpish.

shtoppp the lights bud! Difference between internet fans and fans who write their opinions on boards on the internet???

I am sure everyone is a great person, but alot of the talk in this forum shows that when in front of a keyboard, they are not as nice as they are in the real world...
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Firstly, I'd say there's quite a difference between ''internet'' fans and fans in general. Some online fans are certainly up their own holes but the majority, the vast majority, on this site here are bang on IMO.

shtoppp the lights bud! Difference between internet fans and fans who write their opinions on boards on the internet???

I am sure everyone is a great person, but alot of the talk in this forum shows that when in front of a keyboard, they are not as nice as they are in the real world...

This discussion is far more tedious than anything has gone on recently in the forum.

• Advertisement

You said ''This is the wrestling fan in 2019''. I'm making th epoint that not all wrestling fans are online fans. There's a distinction to be made. Some just watch TV and attend shows.

Advertisement