Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barbed or electric fence

• 27-02-2019 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Cut/strimmed down a number of ditches recently and they all need fencing now. My mains electric fence gives a lot of bother up and down and not realible

Would folk go for electric or barbed given I have a clean slate. About a third of it is a mearing (bordering with neighbor) and thinking that three row of baarbed might be the safest there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭visatorro

Its dear but four strands is a job for life. Peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭emaherx

Dunedin wrote: »
    Cut/strimmed down a number of ditches recently and they all need fencing now. My mains electric fence gives a lot of bother up and down and not realible

Would folk go for electric or barbed given I have a clean slate. About a third of it is a mearing (bordering with neighbor) and thinking that three row of baarbed might be the safest there.

I'm going to be putting up a good bit of fencing this year myself, I'm going to put 3 strands barbed wire and one electric, or possibly 2 barbed wire 2 electric.

If your mains fencer is not reliable maybe it's time to replace it or at least check connections / earth rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

hard to beat abarbie and posts well done.you can then forget about it for along time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Don’t go with3 strand go with 4. With 3 they can put their head through while scratching and it’ll go slack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Don’t go with3 strand go with 4. With 3 they can put their head through while scratching and it’ll go slack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Would prefer 3 strand myself or even two against a ditch.

If ditches are straight consider concrete strainer posts with struts.

My electric fencer wires are generally strained to concrete posts - very easy to tighten over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Electric fence is such a simple system there’s no reason for it to be unreliable.
    Good energiser
    Well placed earth
    Good wire, no copper wire
    Good insulators.
    Keep growth off fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

_Brian wrote: »
    Electric fence is such a simple system there’s no reason for it to be unreliable.
    Good energiser
    Well placed earth
    Good wire, no copper wire
    Good insulators.
    Keep growth off fence.

Sur maybe around 9 Saturday morning. If I’m not around, just belt ahead and let me know when it’s sorted.......!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

2 or 3 strands of barbed in the ditch and let the whitethorn grow through it.

Sur maybe around 9 Saturday morning. If I’m not around, just belt ahead and let me know when it’s sorted.......!!!

Right.
    Sure, you keep holding your breath there lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Electric fence all the way. Barbed wire fence is 4-5 times the price. Biggest issue with electric fence is lads will not do a deecnt earth system. 3-4 bars and linked right with proper galvanized eklectric fence wire. keep wire and posts out from ditch so hedge cutter can work inside it. Barbed wire is a nuisance and gaps will always be created

Slava Ukrainii

Electric fence all the way. Barbed wire fence is 4-5 times the price. Biggest issue with electric fence is lads will not do a deecnt earth system. 3-4 bars and linked right with proper galvanized eklectric fence wire. keep wire and posts out from ditch so hedge cutter can work inside it. Barbed wire is a nuisance and gaps will always be created

My grandfather fenced a field with thorny wire and it's as good as Fort Knox. Right in the middle of the ditch. I don't know what year he put it up it but he died in 1968.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

The only advantage of electric over barbed is cost.

Depending on your stock, 3 or 4 rows of barb on Octos or PDM posts is a serious long term fence. If you're putting up 1 row it only takes a few minutes to put up another few when all the tools are on the ground including a hayes wire strainer. I often stick a row of electric on top to ensure stock don't bother trying to get near the fence.

Electric might be quicker to install and cheaper, but all the time over the years clearing back overgrowth and finding faults has a cost too.

Great peace of mind with the barb. If I had the money every bit of electric would be replaced in the morning. It's great as a temporary fence, not a permanent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

My grandfather fenced a field with thorny wire and it's as good as Fort Knox. Right in the middle of the ditch. I don't know what year he put it up it but he died in 1968.

Exactly, like a lot of things fencing is a skill that requires patience and practice. Some people would leave a hole installing a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Problem with barbed wire is that stock can loosen the stakes by scratching off them. A belt from a mains fencer would keep them back much more.

I have to disagree with anyone who thinks that barbed wire is better than electric fences. The sheer cost alone is prohibitive. As I stated in an earlier post get your earth system right. I did not realize the benefit until I replaced mine a few years ago. Previous it was a single bar I replaced it with a earth plate and three bars now it drives the 5 leds on the tester all the time.

You will fence and paddock a farm cheaper than you will do bounds only with Barbed wire. It is immaterial which you are using posts are critical. However PDM and octo post are no longer what they were 10+ years ago. They have changed from the original cresote to a newer weaker version. Keep the posts out from the ditch so that a hedge cutter can clean behind every few years. The real advantage of electric fences is moving stock you can move cattle right across a farm using pigtails and a few reels

With electric fence not only will the cattle be on your farm they will also be in the field where you left them not in the ajoining field. But the real benefit is paddocking and running cattle in the biggest bunches possible so as to maximize grass output

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What kinda posts did he use?

The bounds was fenced here with railway sleepers, prob sometime in the 1960s i’d imagine but not really sure...
    But they are almost gone by now, still, 50+ years isn’t too bad I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

riemann wrote: »

Electric might be quicker to install and cheaper, but all the time over the years clearing back overgrowth and finding faults has a cost too.

Great peace of mind with the barb. If I had the money every bit of electric would be replaced in the morning. It's great as a temporary fence, not a permanent one.

Starting to lean this way too. I seem to spend more and more time ensuring the mains is working. I have 4 earth rods probably connected by an electrician, no leakage anywhere and yet the power seems to be up and down.

No doubt electric is fierce handy for paddocks but working towards baarbed for perm and boundary fences

What kinda posts did he use?

The bounds was fenced here with railway sleepers, prob sometime in the 1960s i’d imagine but not really sure...
    But they are almost gone by now, still, 50+ years isn’t too bad I suppose :)

Posts!!!!! Penty of good trees and white thorn. There's a healthy ditch up through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Starting to lean this way too. I seem to spend more and more time ensuring the mains is working. I have 4 earth rods probably connected by an electrician, no leakage anywhere and yet the power seems to be up and down.

No doubt electric is fierce handy for paddocks but working towards baarbed for perm and boundary fences

The very same as myself.

That's what I eventually am working to do here. Sheep and barb for the boundaries and electric for the paddocks. I don't have sheep. Just don't like work and spraying ditches. And piece of mind if the electric does go that there's not a 4 a.m. call that there's stock on the road.

With strainers and tractor driven post drivers and wire tensioners now there's no excuse now for bad sheep and barb wire fencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The downside to external electric fencing is, stock from your neighbours can break in from the other side. Say you stop a field for silage, you will need to keep that part of the fence on all the time and so have to keep grass cut back from it.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

The downside to external electric fencing is, stock from your neighbours can break in from the other side. Say you stop a field for silage, you will need to keep that part of the fence on all the time and so have to keep grass cut back from it.

Fairness we’ve had this where neighbors stock push threw hedge inside electric fence.

Still, it kept them back until home was patched up.

Posts!!!!! Penty of good trees and white thorn. There's a healthy ditch up through it.

It is a crime to put barb wire on to trees and Whitethorn.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Had cattle chased here on rented ground one year, however bad it was taking regular wire off of cow's barbed would have been desperate. Can't stand the stuff, regular wire and a good electric fencer all the way

It is a crime to put barb wire on to trees and Whitethorn.

What's the penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What's the penalty?

Dead trees unfortunately :(. The wire will eventually cut through them heart wood and weaken the tree to wind etc . If you have good trees I wouldn't do it that way tbh. Electric fence is what I would suggest - keeps stock away from fence. If it's a bound ditch then certainly used barbed wire to stop stock from elsewhere which might gain access if the fence was off for whatever reason.

gozunda wrote: »
    Dead trees unfortunately :(. The wire will eventually cut through them heart wood and weaken the tree to wind etc . If you have good trees I wouldn't do it that way tbh. Electric fence is what I would suggest - keeps stock away from fence. If it's a bound ditch then certainly used barbed wire to stop stock from elsewhere which might gain access if the fence was off for whatever reason.

Never had it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Never had it here.

Maybe you dont get the winds we do I dunno?

In the last storm but one - bounds ditch had a number of bigger trees came down to my side. Cutting them up several we found had wire embedded in the wood close to where the trunk broke. It must have been put there before my time anyway.

What's the penalty?

Number of them as Gozunda it will kill trees and Whitethorn over time. It also devalues the wood, it is areason why Hurley makers will not take Ash trees from farms to make hurleys. However as well it means that hedge/ditch can never be cut back hard with a blade saw or a hedge cutter. Another problem is if a bounds is fenced like that other farms cattle can come in contact with yous this can spread TB, BVD etc.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Barbed wire is the bane of hurley makers all over the country. Destroys chainsaws, cutting blades in timber mills etc.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement