Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threat of Nuclear War

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

It's been a very slow week. Could they fire a few up to space and blast the shite out of one another there, in some kind of robot death wars?

That would hurry my week along nicely.

That new season they made of Twin Peaks is very good tack ATNM, d'ya ever watch it?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

buried wrote: »
    Some eegit is going to let them things fly at some stage. The very fact these things exist and everybody is grand about it, is and always was the most frightening thing about those yokes.

Nuclear proliferation is literally the only thing stopping world war 3

i love it when armchair generals try to boil down geopolitics to 'HURRR BIG WEAPON KILL PPL'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I vividly remember this flic "Threads" on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Brasros wrote: »
    The earth is overpopulated and needs a cull.

You first, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

These two cesspits have been at this **** for years. Leave em to it, they will do ****ing nothing.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Nuclear proliferation is literally the only thing stopping world war 3

i love it when armchair generals try to boil down geopolitics to 'HURRR BIG WEAPON KILL PPL'

You can't vouch for some fool what has the keys totally loosing their mind though can you? During the Cuban Missile crisis the keys were put in the silo's and set to go. Nuclear proliferation didn't stop that.

These things exist, and as long as something so utterly stupid and all over the shop as mankind has control over these things, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fly over me house tomorrow morning.

How dare you equate me to a "general" too BTW, I'm a bit bats but not full fledged bats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Well India is due to be a superpower next year, so might be a degree of haste in Pakistan's actions.

You can't vouch for some fool what has the keys totally loosing their mind though can you? During the Cuban Missile crisis the keys were put in the silo's and set to go. Nuclear proliferation didn't stop that.

These things exist, and as long as something so utterly stupid and all over the shop as mankind has control over these things, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fly over me house tomorrow morning.

How dare you equate me to a "general" too BTW, I'm a bit bats but not full fledged bats

Nevermind the clean energy and billions of lives saved by nuclear proliferation

Your mindset is banking on its potential for destruction, instead of the real quantifiable benefits it has given mankind.

Also lol at the ‘one madman’ fallacy. Im an engineer and it takes more than some crazy oligarch to physically launch a nuke. In fact you’d need about a dozen to a hundred logical and high functioning people to do so and a means of enticing them

Fallacy fallacy fallacy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Your mindset is banking on its potential for destruction, instead of the real quantifiable benefits it has given mankind.

Also lol at the ‘one madman’ fallacy. Im an engineer and it takes more than some crazy oligarch to physically launch a nuke. In fact you’d need about a dozen to a hundred logical and high functioning people to do so and a means of enticing them

Fallacy fallacy fallacy

...threat of a bullet in the head?

Clean? lol How the f**k is it clean when you got to bury the unreal toxic waste what will always exist for eternity in our ground, in the stupid faint hope nobody or nothing after us ever finds it, because if they do, then that's it for them and the planet ain't it

Did ya miss that lesson in engineer school Sk8?

Clean? lol How the f**k is it clean when you got to bury the unreal toxic waste what will always exist for eternity in our ground, in the stupid faint hope nobody or nothing after us ever finds it, because if they do, then that's it for them and the planet ain't it

Did ya miss that lesson in engineer school Sk8?

Mate thats such a low IQ argument i cant tell if its a joke or not

But if you wanna go down the ‘is nuclear energy cleaner than fossil fuels’ route i suggest just going to quora because i have class tomorrow morning

Mate thats such a low IQ argument i cant tell if its a joke or not

But if you wanna go down the ‘is nuclear energy cleaner than fossil fuels’ route i suggest just going to quora because i have class tomorrow morning

Hey, Get to that class man, and start asking some questions too because sounds like your getting jipped unbelievably

Likewise man. Ask about how many people would have died if the cold war became total war instead

Total war can still happen Sk8. This school of yours sounds like a bad one. Where you studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The keyboard warriors can rest easy. There will be sabre rattling and some sh!t talk between the two sides but nothing else will happen.

EDIT: Sorry thought this was the Ireland/Britain brexit thread.

lol

Would the former East Pakistan do? Apparently quite a few of the "Indian" restaurants are run by Bangladeshis.
    kinara kitchen in Dublin 6, lovely staff and they deliver on Deliveroo if you're too lazy to go out. Delicious food.

If you're after something a little more rough and ready (but still delicious), try the Afghani Grill on Aungier Street. It might not sound Pakistani but a lot of the Afghan food they serve is probably very similar to food you'd probably eat in the North of Pakistan.

Plus they're Afghan, support their cuisine. They've had a rough old time of it lately (i.e. throughout modern history).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Merkel will be licking her lips at the thought of more possible refugees to flood and destroy Europe even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Confusing nuclear power and nuclear weapons are we?

Actually not only can the president of the US launch a nuke with just one other person in verification (Sec. of defence or equivalent), a submarine equipped with Nukes can launch without presidential approval. And who would stop Kim?

Wiki sez

It is argued that the President has almost single authority to initiate a nuclear attack since the Secretary of Defense is required to verify the order, but cannot legally veto it.[7][8][9]
    Fallacy fallacy fallacy

Truth, truth, truth.

(The engineering thing is a bit scary tbh).

Confusing nuclear power and nuclear weapons are we?

Actually not only can the president of the US launch a nuke with just one other person in verification (Sec. of defence or equivalent), a submarine equipped with Nukes can launch without presidential approval. And who would stop Kim?

Wiki sez

It is argued that the President has almost single authority to initiate a nuclear attack since the Secretary of Defense is required to verify the order, but cannot legally veto it.[7][8][9]

Truth, truth, truth.

(The engineering thing is a bit scary tbh).

Ah yes the classic ‘trump can launch nukes at the push of a button’ fallacy

Sounds like a Jack Bauer plotline my man. In the real world, it does not happen

In fact there are many cAses during the cold war in which soldiers have defied orders to launch nukes. Which again,logical and high functioning people is actually needed to happen.

EDIT: As an aside; nuclear proliferation is intrinsically linked to both weapons and usage in energy. The IAEA allowed both to happen, and even limited the amount of anti nuke defenses each country can have during the Strategic arms limitations talks during the 60s and 70s because this was the only way total war could be prevented. By 100% making sure everyone was vulnerable. Which of course allowed people without knowledge of history and geopolitics to be born and talk sh1te about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Merkel will be licking her lips at the thought of more possible refugees to flood and destroy Europe even further.
    Any politician that proposes to built a wall around Europe will be a God

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Wouldn’t lose much sleep if they both wiped each other out tbh

Ahh yeah sure its not like nothing ever so stupid and ill thought out ever happened before in history of humankind is it?

We think we so far and ahead of anything what came before anyways so we can just create a system of weaponry what can eradicate every semblance of life with the switch of a key and hope it never happens due to something literally called MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction.

lol

Good job lads. Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Fallacy fallacy fallacy

Meh

It just takes one looper with a drone........ just one

A gram of Botulinum would kill a million people if they could aero it

Or Anthrax or Marburg or Ebola

Ahh yeah sure its not like nothing ever so stupid and ill thought out ever happened before in history of humankind is it?

We think we so far and ahead of anything what came before anyways so we can just create a system of weaponry what can eradicate every semblance of life with the switch of a key and hope it never happens due to something literally called MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction.

lol

This is what literal strawmanning looks like. Good job on the pointless rhetoric and not addressing any of the points. 2/10

Hey hold on a parasec man, you don't even have the decency to tell me what skool it is you doing this engineering course you keep harpin on about, and you gonna try come at me about "addressing points"? What sort of engineering course you on?

lol

Nukes have been about since 1945 and have been used twice in anger.

The have been around during the next 50 years of Willy waving and still were not used. Not in korea , vietnam or Afghanistan.

Just like you have been told, best thing is for everybody to have them, then nobody ****s with anybody else.

kona wrote: »
    Nukes have been about since 1945 and have been used twice in anger.

The have been around during the next 50 years of Willy waving and still were not used. Not in korea , vietnam or Afghanistan.

Just like you have been told, best thing is for everybody to have them, then nobody ****s with anybody else.

lol yeah nobody will ever f**k with anybody else. Sure when has that ever happened? Give the technology to the Islamic State or what f**king mess coming after them.

Suppose nothing will happen there either.

lol yeah nobody will ever f**k with anybody else. Sure when has that ever happened? Give the technology to the Islamic State or what f**king mess coming after them.

Suppose nothing will happen there either.

Lol.

So islamic state get the bomb....how do they deliver it to its target?