Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Momo Challenge - scaremongering or a real danger?

Options
  • 27-02-2019 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/police-warn-parents-about-momo-challenge-dangers-1.3805965?mode=amp

I don’t know how many of you will have seen this on the news in the last few days but I can honestly say it’s one of the most disturbing things I’ve seen in a long time. The graphic alone would put the willies up you.

Essentially it’s an online app that sets out disturbing and dangerous challenges to the user involving self harm and threatening harm to others. It specifically targets children and teenagers and the final challenge is to take your own life. Momo threatens the user into completing the challenges. Tragically three youngsters have already taken their own lives as a result.

I find it worrying that there are a lot of people trying to downplay the Gardai’s warning as scaremongering. Frankly I think we can never be too careful when it comes to online activity especially with our children. Just because no child here as yet taken their own life or hurt themselves doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t happen nor does the fact that only three children have lost their lives mean it’s not as dangerous as it’s being made out to be.

After hours thoughts?

Comments

If it’s an app, can it not be disabled by apple or android provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Tragically three youngsters have already taken their own lives as a result.

The report you linked to said
    While there are some anecdotal reports of Momo circulating in other countries, there is little hard evidence that people have come to harm as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

No reported cases of any kind in Ireland. Facebook, twitter etc.. have gotten no reports on it, the guards state in the article you linked to that they have had no reports on it. It's all bullshít designed to scare and distract from other news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's a moral panic being spread by our national broadcaster and the Gardaí at this stage. Details on what it actually is are hugely varied depending on who you ask and never specific, and there's no evidence people have been harmed.

I've heard people describe it from an app you download (seems to be the original and most accurate) to people hacking YouTube and inserting subliminal messages into kids videos telling them to kill their families and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A little research will show you it's all scaremongering. No real attributed suicides. In fact, you'll struggle to find anyone who has actually engaged with the game.

"You cannot be too careful" is not realistic... people should focus their energy on real internet safety issues not one specific thing (that's almost a year old).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/police-warn-parents-about-momo-challenge-dangers-1.3805965?mode=amp

I don’t know how many of you will have seen this on the news in the last few days but I can honestly say it’s one of the most disturbing things I’ve seen in a long time. The graphic alone would put the willies up you.

Essentially it’s an online app that sets out disturbing and dangerous challenges to the user involving self harm and threatening harm to others. It specifically targets children and teenagers and the final challenge is to take your own life. Momo threatens the user into completing the challenges. Tragically three youngsters have already taken their own lives as a result.

I find it worrying that there are a lot of people trying to downplay the Gardai’s warning as scaremongering. Frankly I think we can never be too careful when it comes to online activity especially with our children. Just because no child here as yet taken their own life or hurt themselves doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t happen nor does the fact that only three children have lost their lives mean it’s not as dangerous as it’s being made out to be.

After hours thoughts?

Checked it out, disappointed there was no willies up me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Load of media crap and scaremongering.

Baseless nonsense preying on parents who are already stressed enough.

Looking at your initial post,you're not too bad at it either OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Media hype scaremongering. It's the Bloody Mary panic of the 21st century.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So yes there seems to be fear of this while no actual deaths linked to it.

However there is some merit in the widespread talk as similar apps have been proven causes in many deaths in other countries.

Somsome will call it hysterical, but increasing the profile of such dangerous apps is good overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

_Brian wrote: »
    Somsome will call it hysterical, but increasing the profile of such dangerous apps is good overall.

Do you think even 10% of these momo apps would exist at all were it not for the hype? How many people are going to download them after never hearing about them before? Not that I think they're majorly dangerous but these things thrive on panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Frankly I think we can never be too careful when it comes to online activity especially with our children.

We absolutely can be too careful when it comes to our children’s online activity, it’s called smothering. Take reasonable precautions, certainly, but unreasonable precautions are just that - unreasonable.

Just because no child here as yet taken their own life or hurt themselves doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t happen nor does the fact that only three children have lost their lives mean it’s not as dangerous as it’s being made out to be.

After hours thoughts?

That’s exactly what it means? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

You'd have to be fair naive or dense to believe this momo crap

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There is need to be cautious online.
    As somebody who grew up with the internet/social media as a teenager.
    Those of my peers who'd have being foolish in 2006 are still the same now.
    No matter how often you tell people the competition to win the sunglasses from a strange site is fake they still share it or enter details. It's the same with meeting strangers off dating apps/etc.
    Now anybody can make a mistake but some people don't want to learn or can't learn or maybe they like the attention. I honestly don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Momo just texted me. It says close this thread or else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

A little from column A, a little from column B.

I think it's being over-hyped a bit and the impact of it is being exaggerated and getting people (parents) in a twist on social media.

However, it's an incredibly sinister "viral challenge" that purposefully targets young children and teenagers. It's a good reminder for parents to remain vigilant at all times about what their children are doing online. Unfortunately the tactic of this hides the "challenge" in the middle of YouTube videos which parents are likely not going to sit and watch all the way through so it can go undetected. It comes back to educating parents and children about safety online really. Even with that education though, the Momo character is quite disturbing and will be upsetting to many children which is not a pleasant thing for parents to have to worry about or deal with.

JMNolan wrote: »
    You'd have to be fair naive or dense to believe this momo crap

Or a young kid

We absolutely can be too careful when it comes to our children’s online activity, it’s called smothering. Take reasonable precautions, certainly, but unreasonable precautions are just that - unreasonable.

There are ways and means to take online safety seriously without smothering. It's all about open communication and transparency. Parents should regularly review their children's online activity and, yes, go through their social media feeds/messages. However, they should do this in the presence of the child so it's out in the open and the reasons are made clear. I think when parents start snooping behind their children's backs then trust is being broken and it does become counter-productive. There's no one-size fits all approach though, so it's up to parents to find the balance that works but they should 100% be taking an active role in their children's online safety. I'd rather risk a bit of "overbearing parent syndrome" (though I think it can be avoided) than undetected child-grooming, self-harm, bullying, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Urban legend stuff for the Facebook moms and huns to get worked up about; if it wasnt this it'd be van drivers stealing children or chalk markings left by alleged robbers on walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Bacchus wrote: »
    There are ways and means to take online safety seriously without smothering. It's all about open communication and transparency. Parents should regularly review their children's online activity and, yes, go through their social media feeds/messages. However, they should do this in the presence of the child so it's out in the open and the reasons are made clear. I think when parents start snooping behind their children's backs then trust is being broken and it does become counter-productive. There's no one-size fits all approach though, so it's up to parents to find the balance that works but they should 100% be taking an active role in their children's online safety. I'd rather risk a bit of "overbearing parent syndrome" (though I think it can be avoided) than undetected child-grooming, self-harm, bullying, etc.

That’s essentially it really - there is no one size fits all approach, and I don’t think any of the precautions you mentioned above are unreasonable. I personally just wouldn’t be interested in my child’s online activities, I’ll deal with stuff when it happens as opposed to driving myself round the bend catastrophising about what could potentially happen.

edit: As regards the trust issue - he’s a child, of course I don’t trust him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I even remember as a teenager. There was one parent and if she found out her kid didn't finish his homework for a subject in a text or left somebody copy him/etc She'd hit the roof. It's no wonder he couldn't talk to her

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

_Brian wrote: »
    Or a young kid
    Recent polls and tests suggest that people under 25 (i.e. those who don't remember a world without internet) are much better at spotting fake news, scams and scaremongering, than those over 25. The 50+ age group are most susceptible to bullsh1t and most likely to circulate it.

That’s essentially it really - there is no one size fits all approach, and I don’t think any of the precautions you mentioned above are unreasonable. I personally just wouldn’t be interested in my child’s online activities, I’ll deal with stuff when it happens as opposed to driving myself round the bend catastrophising about what could potentially happen.

We're probably on a similar enough page but I'd just like to be clear that I agree "catastrophising" what might happen is absolutely the wrong thing to be doing. You will only pass on that fear to your children. I still think though that parents should be proactive in their approach to online safety as opposed to reactive. If you're only going to be reactive, you're already too late IMO. Proactive doesn't mean driving yourself round the bend though, it simply means staying educated on what's happening online, staying involved with your children's online activities, and keeping an open line of communication with your children so they will talk to you without fear of "oh no Mom and Dad are going to be mad at me".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Seems to be a borderline Urban Legend.
    Everyone knows someone whose aunt's kids have seen it and they're now forever traumatized.

After digging around this seems to fall into creepypasta territory like the Lavender syndrome or Slenderman.

That said, I talked about it with my son, we have no problem to talk but he told me that one of the boys in his class is terrified and had nightmares because of it.

seamus wrote: »
    Recent polls and tests suggest that people under 25 (i.e. those who don't remember a world without internet) are much better at spotting fake news, scams and scaremongering, than those over 25. The 50+ age group are most susceptible to bullsh1t and most likely to circulate it.

Are you really throwing children into the same bucket as "under 25s" here? Can to point to these "recent polls and tests" btw? I'd like to see if they do more of a breakdown into age categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think this is being hyped up a lot by social media.

The OH told me about it last night, I hadn't really read much about it, but there does appear to be a lot of mistruths circulating about it.

I have to disable the Wifi now when we aren't in the room with the kids as she is convinced that it will pop up in random YouTube videos, or when the young lad is playing Fortnite, cos FB says thats what happens.

From a few minutes researching online, it appears that this isn't the case and a lot of lies are out and about. For people to say that the character is appearing in the Fortnite game is nonsense, but why are they saying it?

It seems to mostly affect WhatsApp groups from what I can see???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm old enough to remember the 'video nasties' scares put out by RTE and others. Children supposedly traumatised for life by sh1tty special effects on barely watchable VHS tapes.

Don’t know where that leave me as I fall into neither group ?

I have two kids though, 16 & 10

Young kids don’t have the reasoning powers to fully understand the tricks and tools used against them online. Too many are allowed use messaging and social media apps designed for adults and this leaves them open to being preyed upon.

I regularly review my 10yo tablet to see what apps etc she is downloading and using. She has one messaging app designed for kids where friend requests can’t be sent. She only has chats with a few friends we’ve approved and agreement with their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

474140.png

Advertisement