Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Momo Challenge - scaremongering or a real danger?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

M102.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There should be a mandatory "the internet is full of sh1t"- talk for children.
    Issue is just that most parents aren't aware of the above either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

SteM wrote: »
    Why is a 6 year old allowed on any sort of social media platform?

They were using their mothers phone on kids YouTube and the videos selected were entered/picked by the mother. Parental Controls were set and being used. They have no idea how it happens, if it’s a pop up or how it appeared on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,397 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They were using their mothers phone on kids YouTube and the videos selected were entered/picked by the mother. Parental Controls were set and being used. They have no idea how it happens, if it’s a pop up or how it appeared on the phone.

Sure Jan.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Sure Jan.

You'd be surprised at some parents who, while they have the capability to download an app and stick stupid dog ears on their picture, are technically illiterate in every other way. A smart phone does not equal a smart owner :D

And many of those would be the first to point the finger at the school/ google/ Apple if their child stumbled across something unsuitable on YouTube. It wouldn't even occur to them to question their own culpability in the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

53300073_2095768307135489_4714691025086447616_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=416aabcc4c09f69e4ebbc21497742333&oe=5CDFFF9F

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Momo is actually trying to raise funds for a bit of corrective eye surgery

Gets terrible headaches at the minute, poor thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Essentially it’s an online app that sets out disturbing and dangerous challenges to the user involving self harm and threatening harm to others. It specifically targets children and teenagers and the final challenge is to take your own life. Momo threatens the user into completing the challenges. Tragically three youngsters have already taken their own lives as a result.

I'm almost certain there was a film with this plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In fairness parents are allowing kids be exposed to risk.
    My youngest is 10, most of her friends 9-11YO are in snapchat, Facebook, instagram, WhatsApp and few other anonymous messaging apps.
    Teachers can’t get lads to stop talking about Fortnight which is an12 rated game, I know parents letting 7 & 8 yo play it.

Parents can protect their kids better by actually parenting and saying NO once in a while, going through devices and familiarising themselves with their kids activities online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Momo has told the British people that Brexit is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

tenor.gif?itemid=12740787

• Registered Users Posts: 33,047 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

upinsmoke wrote: »

People are getting a sim card, setting up WhatsApp on their phone and naming themselves MoMo and setting their profile picture.

They are then whatsapping people they already know and will have information on the user.

Well if someone you know is doing that to you, its time to de-friend them. What @r$eholes.

But I'd be very surprised if 12yr olds are doing this to other 12yr olds, it seems like a lot of work for a prank tbh.

And surely it can't be happening to anyone younger than that cos kids younger than that should have their own mobile phone with WhatsApp etc installed? If they do, then the parents have no-one to blame but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

It started out as a load of BS “urban myth” that has unfortunately fallen into the self-fulfilling prophecy territory as saddos will now be pulling pranks on people pretending to be MOMO. You only need to look at AH on an average day to see the how many of these saddos there are around (all the new regs/re-regs and their stupid threads)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/28/viral-momo-challenge-is-a-malicious-hoax-say-charities

The official line is that it's all a hoax
    article wrote:
    Viral 'Momo challenge' is a malicious hoax, say charities
    Groups say no evidence yet of self-harm from craze, but resulting hysteria poses a risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Youtube had posted this on their FB page...
    We want to clear something up regarding the “Momo Challenge”: We’ve seen no recent evidence of videos promoting the “Momo Challenge” on YouTube. Videos encouraging harmful and dangerous challenges are against our policies.

If you see videos promoting harmful or dangerous challenges on YouTube, we encourage you to flag them to us immediately. These challenges are clearly against our Community Guidelines. More info here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802027…;

Then this is from Virgin Media News last night
    ‘Momo challenge’ slammed as a hoax by internet safety experts, as schools across Ireland warn parents to be wary of the apparent new online bullying trend

https://www.facebook.com/VirginMediaNews/videos/674724576330916/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Autecher wrote: »
    Ah I see so it's similar to they way people who put "full time mad bard" as their profession are looked down on by some others?

"Full time mammys" and "full time mad bastards all seem to have attended "the school of hard knocks". I doubt it sends many people to college, or even to Leaving Cert level to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But Cee Jay Cee had non-anecdotal (literally anecdotal) evidence that it happened in Donegal. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Danny_B wrote: »
    Youtube had posted this on their FB page...

Then this is from Virgin Media News last night
    The media get twice as much coverage about this now, they must be delighted. First wind everyone up saying how dangerous it is, then a few days later tell people it's a hoax and give out about how people were saying it was dangerous!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the school playground this morning, there were little huddles of kids all talking in whispers about momo and how they seen it last night or got a call from momo.
    Even my own daughter was saying she got a call from momo, and he had a gadget free day yesterday.
    Even though a hoax, it's having an impact on kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

It's not like they have anything else to report on....Nothing like a good hoax to get the people all riled up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,047 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the school playground this morning, there were little huddles of kids all talking in whispers about momo and how they seen it last night or got a call from momo.
    Even my own daughter was saying she got a call from momo, and he had a gadget free day yesterday.

Is this post a hoax as well.
    First off, I have never known a parent to go to a huddle of children in a school playgorund and listen to what they are talking about. In fact, I have never seen a huddle of children!

Then you say your own daughter.....followed by 'he'. Is your child gender fluid?

Even though its a hoax, its having an effect on you pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Because of the likes of yourself falling for it and spreading fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=12740787

"Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Momoballine"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"Full time mammys" and "full time mad bastards all seem to have attended "the school of hard knocks". I doubt it sends many people to college, or even to Leaving Cert level to be honest.

I've seen a few that seem to attend collage, though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this post a hoax as well.
    First off, I have never known a parent to go to a huddle of children in a school playgorund and listen to what they are talking about. In fact, I have never seen a huddle of children!

Then you say your own daughter.....followed by 'he'. Is your child gender fluid?

Even though its a hoax, its having an effect on you pal.

Choose to believe what you want to believe, I have just regaled me experience from this morning.

What if my child was gender fluid?

Because of the likes of yourself falling for it and spreading fear

I've not fallen for anything, my concern is how this impact kids...we all know that adults are f*cking tools when using the internet and smart phones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They saw it because it was on the feçkin' RTE news on Monday. It's having an impact on kids because of all the absolute fools who have shared this about in 'concern' and made it go viral. My 6 year old saw it on the news and the report would definitely have scared him if I hadn't already demystified it for him.

Boom_Bap wrote:
    What if my child was gender fluid?

He was pointing out inconsistencies in your post. Even if you had a "gender fluid" child it would be unusual to refer to them as a daughter and then a he.

Stop looking to be offended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well surprise surprise, it's a hoax. Nobody saw that coming!

He was pointing out inconsistencies in your post. Even if you had a "gender fluid" child it would be unusual to refer to them as a daughter and then a he.

Stop looking to be offended.

The poster is trying to dissect my post to find flaws for some sort of internet one-up-man-ship and just found a typo.

I was not being offended, my comment is to point out how idiotic the post was if that is all they take from what I've written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I was not being offended, my comment is to point out how idiotic the post was if that is all they take from what I've written.

You thought that was idiotic, check this out.

Momo
    Momo Momo
    Momo Momo
    Momo there's no limits

Advertisement