Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

Unbe****inglievable if true. But from what I read, it doesn't sound hopeless, Shane Ross said something "I'm not going to allow anything that closes the Green line for 4 years" but that could be a get-out clause for him to push the entire project so that he can say later "See, I told you I wasn't going to allow the Green line to be closed for years".

At least, that's what I'm hoping is going on. But I have a dim view of Ross, so perhaps this is more in hope than expectation. I also hope the criticism on FFs Twitter feed continues, I'm not on Twitter or I would join in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

Anyone more eloquent than myself feel like helping me write a letter? That Irish Times NIMBY love in really left a bad taste in the mouth. So far all I have come up with is '' F*#k you and the tram you rode in on'' so might need to tone it down a notch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I am surprised at some of the backlash here, I expected more of the McDowellisms.

https://twitter.com/ffclaireoconnor/status/1098520962696441856

The next round of public consultations for this "carnage" will be interesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fingal CoCo CEO: Metrolink must be delivered now

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/metrolink-must-be-delivered-now-37826396.html

He's right too. The M1 is at breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

You might want to take your blood pressure tablets before you read the Sunday Business Post tomorrow.
    However, I think the grave dancing by the Senator, Frank McDonald, Rethink Metrolink etc may be a tad premature :)

https://twitter.com/sundaybusiness/status/1099413591357218816

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    You might want to take your blood pressure tablets before you read the Sunday Business Post tomorrow.
    However, I think the grave dancing by the Senator, Frank McDonald, Rethink Metrolink etc may be a tad premature :)

Sweet suffering Jesus, these articles will have me developing PTSD.
    Sigh, this is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 M50Jct15

Those tablets are required for nearly any SBP or Irish Times discussion of transport infrastructure.

M50Jct15 wrote: »
    Those tablets are required for nearly any SBP or Irish Times discussion of transport infrastructure.

Time to up the dosage. The Journal are onboard with a NIMLC (Not in my leisure centre) article to brighten everyones Monday morning.

dublin campaigners-protest-demolition-of-apartment-complex-and-pool-for-metrolink-4508187-Feb2019/ (sorry can't link)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

marno21 wrote: »
    I am impressed about the level of backlash to this Fianna Fail tweet

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/1098633084084412417

God forbid the southside is infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Something tells me we may be still surprised by what the NTA actually announce as their plan.

It has been a strange few days. On Wednesday, the Irish Independent leaked news the green line will be shut for 4 years. The next day The Irish Times leaked news the Southside section is to be scrapped. That’s a lot of activity within 24 hours of leaks. All we know for certain is that Minister Ross met with the relevant authorities and expressed his concern at the Green Line being shut for that period of time.

In the Dail exchange we can see nothing has actually been confirmed. We just have different politicians expressing their views on the project. The time for real debate will be when the NTA announce their plans later in March.

I believe the suggestion of terminating a Metro next to the Green Line at Charlemont will be disastrous. Placing a high speed rail link to the airport at Charlemont will make the Green line an even more attractive option for passengers and will cause loadings to increase dramatically overnight. Whatever about Cherrywood and the other new developments along the green line causing overcrowding, anybody travelling to the Airport along this stretch will now simply use the Luas and Metro (with their suitcases) and why wouldn’t they, it’ll be cheap and quick.

If this rumour is true, a metro train will arrive into Charlemont every 2 minutes. Even if only a quarter of those Metro passengers continued their journey south using Luas at Charlemont, that could place potentially over 100 passengers onto the Charlemont Luas platform every 2-3 minutes. My numbers may be slightly inaccurate depending on the time of day but you get the idea. I’m unsure how this will work.

Adding this amount of passengers to the Luas will mean those in Dundrum will have no space to board each morning. I doubt Minister Ross wants this for his constituents considering the backlash he faced during the capacity problems with Luas Cross City opening. The same problems may soon pile on to TDs in Dublin Bay South.

I look forward to seeing what plans the NTA decide on. They know what the problems and are aware of the capacity issues on the green line. I’m willing to trust their vision and hopeful we may still see a workable solution emerge in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Street running luas, well Una obviously knows her stuff. What a lack wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

This may now be a moot point but I'm trying to get my head around how a high-floor upgrade to the Luas green line would have worked in practice.

I presume that any platform that has an upgraded raised platform couldn't be used by the current Luas stock as it's 630mm above the current levels.

Would they just raise half the stops to metro standard and leave the other half for LUAS before the changeover? Or would they raise half of each platform to metro standard, i.e. divide the platform in half?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

salmocab wrote: »
    Street running luas, well Una obviously knows her stuff. What a lack wit.

I can't read Unas's article, does it actually advocate for street running luas out to the SW? I know the editorial does, which is bad enough in itself, but I'm wary of complaining about a journalist without the facts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This may now be a moot point but I'm trying to get my head around how a high-floor upgrade to the Luas green line would have worked in practice.

I presume that any platform that has an upgraded raised platform couldn't be used by the current Luas stock as it's 630mm above the current levels.

Would they just raise half the stops to metro standard and leave the other half for LUAS before the changeover? Or would they raise half of each platform to metro standard, i.e. divide the platform in half?

I don't think it's a moot point, I still think that they'll go ahead with it, but they may pretend that it's not going ahead until around 2024-2025, when the Green Line is dangerously over capacity.

I'd imagine that they'd raise half of each stop. Not ideal, but there's very few ways of upgrading a line while it's still running.

The other way of doing it is more disruptive: Close the Luas line from Charlemont to Sandyford for three months while you're construction the tie-ins at those locations, and upgrade all of the stations while that's going on. The more that I think about it, the more likely I think this option is.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I can't read Unas's article, does it actually advocate for street running luas out to the SW? I know the editorial does, which is bad enough in itself, but I'm wary of complaining about a journalist without the facts.

Actually your right I presumed the editorial was her, I couldn’t read the article either as I make a point of not paying for worthless things.

There no details on how it would be done but it’s not a huge issue. The platforms need to be lengthened anyway so the extension could be at the higher level with the raising done quite quickly across the rest of the stops after the changeover is done. It would be a bit of a pain with certain doors maybe not in use for periods but it could be done for minimum disruption in the grand scheme. Possibly shutting some platforms where there are 2 stations close together anyway for a few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The platforms could be prefabricated and merely installed - it would not take long, perhaps a weekend. They did that new railway bridge at Sallins in a weekend with a mainline railway.

The platforms could be prefabricated and merely installed - it would not take long, perhaps a weekend. They did that new railway bridge at Sallins in a weekend with a mainline railway.

Id imagine right at the end of the project there will be a week or two shut down for the last enabling works and some testing. It could be done during something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What a time to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

awh now don't be talking sense, with your highfalutin pre-fabricated platforms. Ye swear we were a modern European state that could do some forward planning with that sorta talk! ;)

You mean they didn't have to rip up the entire Cork-Dublin line?!! Someone needs to inform the papers that such engineering wonders are indeed possible :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

paddar wrote: »
    You mean they didn't have to rip up the entire Cork-Dublin line?!! Someone needs to inform the papers that such engineering wonders are indeed possible :D

They did rip it up and relay it over the weekend.

[Mind you it was only 50 metres of the line that they actually ripped up.]:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

One thing that baffles me about Metrolink as a project is that epic controversy was contrived over the Dunville Avenue non-entity, yet not an eyelid seems to have been batted at the proposed closure, and digging up of, East Stephen's Green and North O'Connell st, both of which promise to be for prolonged periods and cause a great deal more disruption than the proposed tie-in at Charlemont.

Maybe the Anti-Irish Times are only worried about certain people in certain places. Perhaps it should just rebrand as the Sandymount Tennis Club Circular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

cgcsb wrote: »
    One thing that baffles me about Metrolink as a project is that epic controversy was contrived over the Dunville Avenue non-entity, yet not an eyelid seems to have been batted at the proposed closure, and digging up of, East Stephen's Green and North O'Connell st, both of which promise to be for prolonged periods and cause a great deal more disruption than the proposed tie-in at Charlemont.

Maybe the Anti-Irish Times are only worried about certain people in certain places. Perhaps it should just rebrand as the Sandymount Tennis Club Circular.

There is definitely an agenda being pushed by people who don't want high speed, high frequency public transport in their neighbourhoods.

The editorial in today's paper is shocking and shows a real disconnect from the very people who will both benefit from Metrolink and on the flip side have to endure the over crowding on the greenline Luas in the not too distant future.

Having spent the weekend in Holland, I can only dream that we may some day get a train or even public transport network 1/2 as good as theirs although I won't be holding me breathe.

jvan wrote: »
    There is definitely an agenda being pushed by people who don't want high speed, high frequency public transport in their neighbourhoods.

The editorial in today's paper is shocking and shows a real disconnect from the very people who will both benefit from Metrolink and on the flip side have to endure the over crowding on the greenline Luas in the not too distant future.

Having spent the weekend in Holland, I can only dream that we may some day get a train or even public transport network 1/2 as good as theirs although I won't be holding me breathe.

I suspect the people who don’t want such things like our nimbys are everywhere, it’s how they’re dealt with or better yet ignored that’s different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

jvan wrote: »

Ironically of course most of people making such comments be it in paper or on likes of Newstalk always say "The Dutch somehow manage to have no traffic problems in Amsterdam..." -- yeah because they actually spend money on providing altenrative infrastructure. There just seems to be general cognitive dissonance with the 'commentariat' in this country when it comes to the reality of how you go about providing proper infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

dubhthach wrote: »
    Ironically of course most of people making such comments be it in paper or on likes of Newstalk always say "The Dutch somehow manage to have no traffic problems in Amsterdam..." -- yeah because they actually spend money on providing altenrative infrastructure. There just seems to be general cognitive dissonance with the 'commentariat' in this country when it comes to the reality of how you go about providing proper infrastructure.

Yeah because they are idiots. Should our planning follow the idiots voices? It’s only made a meal out of because it’s ireland. Just build it. Another poster made a valid point, how in gods name do they actually think they can only run it to charlemomont? The amount of new traffic the line will generate and then what ? The new traffic makes the Green line totally unusable?

Its a non runner...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It’s all linked back to a dysfunctional political system.

We have a huge amount of school teachers and other PS employees totally out of their depth, on the gravy train re salary, expenses, and pension.

They are beholden to a system that is very localised for votes even though it’s for the national parliament.

And the crooks will do whatever it takes to stay on that gravy train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It’s all linked back to a dysfunctional political system.

We have a huge amount of school teachers and other PS employees totally out of their depth, on the gravy train re salary, expenses, and pension.

They are beholden to a system that is very localised for votes even though it’s for the national parliament.

And the crooks will do whatever it takes to stay on that gravy train.
    Nail. Hammer. Head!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement