Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secret Flying app membership now FREE

• 24-02-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Secret Flying has now made membership on their app completely free

You can now register for free and receive push notifications of flight deals departing your home city. (they were previously charging $3.99 per month for this).

For those who don't know who Secret Flying are, they find random cheap flight deals....often Error Fares (which means crazy cheap prices).

Search "Secret Flying" on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store

[i cant post links on this post because i am a new user. can someone please link Secret Flying's subscription page: www. secretflying.com/subscription-page ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks,

Downloaded it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

manutdreds wrote: »
    For those who don't know who Secret Flying are...

...they are me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Can you filter flights only from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Choose the deals you want to view and then there is a specific tab at the bottom of the app called "My Deals" - you can choose only to view deals departing from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Are these flight deals they flag just in respect of upcoming flights or do they also flag a few months away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 manutdreds

Techless wrote: »
    Are these flight deals they flag just in respect of upcoming flights or do they also flag a few months away ?

They post all type of flight deals.
    Sometimes last minute, sometimes first minute (i.e. availability is 8 months away).

Most of deals, however, are for availability now and upcoming months e.g. February to June

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Like n1ck said, when you register and log in to the My Deals section you can subscribe to only flight deals departing Dublin if you like.

You can even receive instant alerts the moment a Dublin deal is published.

Remember, the more cities you are subscribed to, the more chance of grabbing an awesome deal.
    For example if you just set up Dublin alerts, you'll likely miss out on a possible Error Fare from Belfast to South America for £90 roundtrip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭djan

Is the current offering on the site only free for a short time? Otherwise what is the benefit of signing up etc?

djan wrote: »
    Is the current offering on the site only free for a short time? Otherwise what is the benefit of signing up etc?

not sure.

membership previously ranged from $1.99 to $9.99 per month.

theres no information on their website whether free membership is permanent or just a temporary promo.

jump on it whilst you still can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Moving2017

manutdreds wrote: »
    not sure.

membership previously ranged from $1.99 to $9.99 per month.

theres no information on their website whether free membership is permanent or just a temporary promo.

jump on it whilst you still can.

From the FAq's here: https://www.secretflying.com/faq/

"There were previously 3 membership tiers. I can’t see them anymore. Where have they gone?

You’re right. We previously offered 3 paying membership tiers.
    We have removed them and now offer just 1 FREE membership.

So now it’s completely free to be a member on Secret Flying?

Yes.
    Simply download the app and register.
    You now get instant alerts of flight deals departing your home city free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks OP got it. $1.99 - $9.99 per MONTH :eek: :eek:
    Much of the info is possible to get on other sites, I can't see why anyone would pay for it unless I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

did he not say it was FREE?

did he not say it was FREE?

Yes, but up to now it was $1.99 - $9.99 per month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Suckit wrote: »
    I can't see why anyone would pay for it unless I'm missing something.

Me either.

There's usually a brand new poster join boards to post every time there a deal that might be of interest to Ireland based punters. ;)

Graham wrote: »
    Me either.

There's usually a brand new poster join boards to post every time there a deal that might be of interest to Ireland based punters. ;)

was waiting for the right time from Nov 2015 to jump in now?

that's patience for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

What's the trade-off? Something that cost previously but now doesn't means the revenue must be coming from somewhere else. Noticed some ads on the mobile app but is that it? The terms and conditions don't appear any worse than expected either. What gives?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're generating limited revenue with membership fees you might be willing to trade that off against higher affiliate revenue by opening up membership notifications so more people book.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Much of the info is possible to get on other sites, I can't see why anyone would pay for it unless I'm missing something.

Having to check deals all the time can be a pain. Plus a deal can go very quickly - especially if it's a error fare. If you like to travel and don't mind going where the deals are, this app could save you tons. I can certainly see where $2 a month would have been worth it to many people.

well Secret Flying is by far the best of the bunch. they never miss an error fare and have very high standards (i.e. only post very good deals).

the $3.99 they used to charge wasnt for access to the deals (that's always been free). it was to receive push notifications of flight deals departing your subscribed cities.
    which to be fair is a pretty good deal considering you'll save hundreds/thousands every year with them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I didn't mean to take anything from op. I'm happy that I got it. I just meant I couldn't see the advantage of paying the original higher price per month.
    Obviously it suited some people.

Yeah, I didn't mean to take anything from op. I'm happy that I got it. I just meant I couldn't see the advantage of paying the original higher price per month.
    Obviously it suited some people.

no offence taken mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

has anyone booked flights with secret flying and had any problem? since its error fare and airline can refuse booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

4real wrote: »
    has anyone booked flights with secret flying and had any problem? since its error fare and airline can refuse booking?

you don't book with them, they point out the deals, and sometimes price errors. After that it's out of their control !! I'm sure not all will work out !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

App keeps crashing for me when i try to set my preferences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

App keeps crashing for me when i try to set my preferences

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Keeps asking me to login...after a short while

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

I get notification with new deal every couple minutes. NOT happy! Cant figure out how to filter just one city, though I did it, still showing million notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Graham wrote: »
    Me either.

I think they only posted YQ dumps to members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

flintash wrote: »
    I get notification with new deal every couple minutes. NOT happy! Cant figure out how to filter just one city, though I did it, still showing million notifications

You probably have error fares showing up still. You have to opt out of that or it sends you every error fare.

Advertisement