Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    fcuk him, no sympathy......

Don't think it's anything to do with sympathy, I think everyone can see it's an absolute knacker move and he's a disgrace, it's just the comments from the citing commission combined with the much shorter bans handed out for incidents that have physically harmed players is a bit mind boggling.

I think the sentence is appropriate for the action, but would like to see incidents like stamping or gouging be held to the same accord.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Glasgow Vs Connacht and Ospreys Vs Munster on Friday. Two big Conference A games.
    Robertson McCoy stamped on VdF's head intentionally, and got 12 weeks, which was then reduced to 6.

Yet somehow they say someone blowing their nose onto a player is twice as bad and they couldn't imagine a worse act of foul play.

It's completely disgusting, but compared to physically harming someone.

Mind blowing.

I've been kicked, punched, elbowed, headbutted, stamped on, had my fingers broken with a hurley deliberately, and plenty more. Took it and gave it plenty too. But the one time I absolutely lost the rag on a pitch was when a guy spat in my face. It's the one time where I deliberately and absolutely tried to beat the living sh1t out of someone. Failed miserably, of course, I did land one or two slaps, but I was reliably informed afterwards that he never played for that team again.
    Not saying it's right, but there is an acceptance in physical sports that a bit of physical harm will come your way, but spitting or what he did are beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've been kicked, punched, elbowed, headbutted, stamped on, had my fingers broken with a hurley deliberately, and plenty more. Took it and gave it plenty too.

Nobody made you get married, Zzippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've been kicked, punched, elbowed, headbutted, stamped on, had my fingers broken with a hurley deliberately, and plenty more. Took it and gave it plenty too. But the one time I absolutely lost the rag on a pitch was when a guy spat in my face. It's the one time where I deliberately and absolutely tried to beat the living sh1t out of someone. Failed miserably, of course, I did land one or two slaps, but I was reliably informed afterwards that he never played for that team again.
    Not saying it's right, but there is an acceptance in physical sports that a bit of physical harm will come your way, but spitting or what he did are beyond the pale.

I agree on the odd slap or getting into a scrap and being on the end of a dig or a headbutt, but a deliberate stamp on the head when you're lying defenceless at the bottom of a ruck is a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I completely understand where people are coming from on this but, however a few days after the incident when everything has calmed down I'm sure most (everyone?) would take being spat on over a concussion or other serious injury caused by a reckless challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

AdamD wrote: »
    I completely understand where people are coming from on this but, however a few days after the incident when everything has calmed down I'm sure most (everyone?) would take being spat on over a concussion or other serious injury caused by a reckless challenge.

We'll of course. It hurts less!
    It's a good message to punish this with a severe penalty.

The Eye gouge is the one that really gets me. Ban 'em for life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    Nobody made you get married, Zzippy.

Exceeded yourself there, Buer. Well played! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

Robertson McCoy stamped on VdF's head intentionally, and got 12 weeks, which was then reduced to 6.

Yet somehow they say someone blowing their nose onto a player is twice as bad and they couldn't imagine a worse act of foul play.

It's completely disgusting, but compared to physically harming someone.

Mind blowing.

I read the citing commisions comments as them saying what they said in the context of the law under which he was cited. So under that law, which is pretty ambiguous & broad as it is (Law 9.27 – A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship), they're saying they don't know what could be considered a worse act......

But they're not saying this in totality in relation to all laws which cover other offenses. So they don't necessarily think that that snot-megging on someone's face is worse than eye gouging.

I completely agree that bans for other offenses should be much longer than they have been, and there is a general inconsistency in bans doled out, but I think it's good to see a ban of this length for something which is just totally inconceiveable and scumbaggery of the highest order!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

13 WEEKS?!!! I mean, it's gross and he absolutely deserved a ban, but the panel said:

“It is difficult to imagine how an act of foul play of this sort could be worse, save for repeated acts or where actual injury is caused.”

What are they smoking? He got 26 weeks reduced by 50% for a clean record. The day after Henderson got away with neck-rolling a guy onto his head.

That's incredible

www.pro14rugby.org/2019/02/20/decision-of-disciplinary-hearing-nico-lee-13-weeks/
    You are not seriously drawing a correlation between those two events? Henderson’s while reckless was not comparable to a deliberate act of scumbaggery. There is no place in the game for that kind of thing, none. The ban reflects that. I’m genuinely surprised it’s that long but also delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stephen_n wrote: »
    You are not seriously drawing a correlation between those two events? Henderson’s while reckless was not comparable to a deliberate act of scumbaggery. There is no place in the game for that kind of thing, none. The ban reflects that. I’m genuinely surprised it’s that long but also delighted.

Not a correlation, a contrast. My problem is that there is absolutely no correlation.

Henderson did something that was reckless and dangerous. He got away with it on a technicality that (as I predicted) this citing officer seems to love, but he could have really injured the guy and he got no punishment. Fair enough. I don't have any real problem with that.

Now, there's a Cheetahs guy who did something disgusting but in no way dangerous. Yeah it's totally against the spirit of the game but come on, the committee said "it's hard to imagine a worse offence" or something. That's bollocks. If he'd punched an opponent in the face and spread his nose across his face, he'd have got off more lightly. Where's the justice in that?

The Pro14 are now on record that deliberately stamping on a prone opponent's neck is significantly more acceptable than spraying a bit of mucus on his face. They're a joke.

I'm glad the Cheetahs guy got banned. Don't get me wrong at all but 26 weeks?? The absolute frauds running this process are more concerned with the gentlemanly Corinthian values of the game than player safety. I hope Cheetahs appeal this and call this out for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Now, there's a Cheetahs guy who did something disgusting but in no way dangerous. Yeah it's totally against the spirit of the game but come on, the committee said "it's hard to imagine a worse offence" or something. That's bollocks. If he'd punched an opponent in the face and spread his nose across his face, he'd have got off more lightly. Where's the justice in that?
    In reaching that conclusion the Panel found that: “It is difficult to imagine how an act of foul play of this sort could be worse, save for repeated acts or where actual injury is caused.”

It’s the or something that’s important in your paraphrasing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Benetton 12-0 Dragons after 21

2 tries

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's the TBP for Treviso after only 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Benetton 12-0 Dragons after 21

2 tries

Probably for the best that Welsh teams are in a league which doesn't have relegation..

Dragons seem to think this is tag rugby

31-0 after 36

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Decent try for Dragons there but Treviso are running riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wow, Benetton are slaughtering them. Very impressive considering the number of players they're missing. Then again they are playing the Welsh equivalent of the Kings.

Wow, Benetton are slaughtering them. Very impressive considering the number of players they're missing. Then again they are playing the Welsh equivalent of the Kings.

43-7 latest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bring back Jackman!

50-7 now

• Advertisement

57-7 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

That's surely one of the most embarrassing results in tournament history?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's surely one of the most embarrassing results in tournament history?
    Yup https://twitter.com/Stu_Farmer/status/1099326474828611584?s=19

Benetton at home to Edinburgh next week. That's a huge game and might be determined by the outer squad internationals available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That Newport were one of the greatest clubs in the history of rugby, only to become the Dragons, is an absolute disgrace.

They can't continue like this. Maybe they just can't continue at all.

That Newport were one of the greatest clubs in the history of rugby, only to become the Dragons, is an absolute disgrace.

They can't continue like this. Maybe they just can't continue at all.

It's not as if they didn't recruit heavily either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's not as if they didn't recruit heavily either.

Ross Moriarty must be wondering how he was sold a pup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The moves from SARU today surely are a really strong indication that they're committing to the Pro14 going forward? It doesn't make sense otherwise.

troyzer wrote: »
    The moves from SARU today surely are a really strong indication that they're committing to the Pro14 going forward? It doesn't make sense otherwise.

How do you figure this?

It looks to me like they are cutting SR and Pro 14 squad numbers in order to retain as many Springboks as they can, as well as acknowledging how much ZAR vs EUR/GBP hamstrings their buying power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »

How do you figure this?

It looks to me like they are cutting SR and Pro 14 squad numbers in order to retain as many Springboks as they can, as well as acknowledging how much ZAR vs EUR/GBP hamstrings their buying power.

By saying they're now going to be selecting players regardless of where they play their club rugby, it means most of the top players are just going to leave.

I understand what they're trying to do but it'll mean the death of their club game. Something I imagine the other SANZAAR members aren't happy with as it dramatically reduces the value of the tournament.

It does make sense though if the plan is to shift everyone into the Pro14 with the extra revenue that brings, especially if they get access to European rugby.

Advertisement