Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones spotted over Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pre-emptive mod warning - conspiracy theories can go to the CT forum and cards/bans will be used liberally. There will be no individual warnings - this is the warning

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Link to report in TheJournal, though there is really no more info than in the OP: https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-drone-4505111-Feb2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

FFS, need to be harsh laws brought in against these idiots. As a frequent flyer I can imagine the frustrations of the passengers now.

And I mean harsh, like prison time. The financial cost of this type of disruption can easily run into millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Parents flying later this evening, ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

L1011 wrote: »
    Pre-emptive mod warning - conspiracy theories can go to the CT forum and cards/bans will be used liberally. There will be no individual warnings - this is the warning

What's a card btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bazzy

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is from the airport/emergency services

My helicopter and shot gun theory would still work

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Runway reopened now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

bronn wrote: »
    Runway reopened now.

2 flights diverted, looks like one to Shannon and one to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I still want to see public flogging ... ( Prison time isn't harsh enough).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That was very short-lived, thankfully. Although not fun for those on diverted flights.

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1098554129629229056

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭numbnutz

Drones should be treated like a controlled substance.The threat of disruption to aviation and passengers lives is just too great to ignore. Gatwick at Christmas Dubai last week and now this.Shoot them down and jail the perpetrators is the only solution.Registration of all drones with the IAA prior to sale to the public, a nightmare of bull**** paperwork and administration I know but this is what needs to be done.
    That said I hope it wasn't a police/firebrigade drone....doh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A lot of planes circling around waiting to land at the moment, a flight from Frankfurt headed to Shannon and another from Heathrow gone to Belfast, both Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Homer

The problem is always identifying the owner/operator. Modern drones can and do have a range from controller to drone of several kms!
    The person flying the drone could be a LONG way from the location of the drone. And trying to track a small drone that can travel at up to 50km/h is a logistical nightmare.
    The largest mamafacture of drones is DJI and they use geofence technology to prevent users taking off too close to major airports, however the cheaper Chinese off the shelf drones can fly anywhere unfortunately.
    Some people really are ar$eholes carrying on this crap after all the upset and cost incurred after Gatwick :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

can we blame Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Maybe there was no drone lets not tarnish all Drone owners, look recently at some UK Airport where a Kestrel was mistaken for a Drone the way the hover and move could have been one of them they are out there at the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sure I’m used to sitting on the airfield for nearly an hour after pushback in Dublin!

Had to laugh at this in a way, visions of chief wiggam Irish guardai driving around with a net trying to catch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Sure I’m used to sitting on the airfield for nearly an hour after pushback in Dublin!

Had to laugh at this in a way, visions of chief wiggam Irish guardai driving around with a net trying to catch it!

The drone is hatless! Repeat, hatless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wonder was it some naive idiot just trying to get a good photo of a plane, or was there a more sinister motive behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

RTE News at One. DAA rep said drone was spotted by pilots of aircraft taxying out for takeoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭sjb25

can we blame Brexit?

I blame the cyclists #payroadtax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Maybe there was no drone lets not tarnish all Drone owners, look recently at some UK Airport where a Kestrel was mistaken for a Drone the way the hover and move could have been one of them they are out there at the Airport.
    where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

where was that?

Not sure but I saw it on Sky a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

There's no easy way to stop this.

Yes some drones are geofenced - but the software can be reflashed with open source control software which isn't

All the stuff about registration and licensing - will only affect those owners who want to obey the law. It's quite easy to construct your own drone from off the shelf parts.

Signal jamming - no effect on a pre-programmed flight route which doesn't depend on a wifi / 3G signal for command and control

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

sjb25 wrote: »
    I blame the cyclists #payroadtax

No such thing as road tax in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jon1981 wrote: »
    FFS, need to be harsh laws brought in against these idiots. As a frequent flyer I can imagine the frustrations of the passengers now.

And I mean harsh, like prison time. The financial cost of this type of disruption can easily run into millions.

Agreed, and those clowns with laser lights

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

can we blame Brexit?

Interesting though. If brexit, would those 3 shamrocks have had to go to ROI airport instead of 2 to “UK” in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

vicwatson wrote: »
    Interesting though. If brexit, would those 3 shamrocks have had to go to ROI airport instead of 2 to “UK” in this scenario?

No, diversion is in scope of the first five freedoms which are internationally accepted by treaty.

Second Freedom of the Air - the right or privilege, in respect of scheduled international air services, granted by one State to another State or States to land in its territory for non-traffic purposes (also known as a Second Freedom Right).

The ICAO long, long predates the EU and had all this stuff thrashed-out by the late 1940s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

In an article on breaking news I took this quote.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/update-drone-which-grounded-flights-in-dublin-could-return-airport-warns-906124.html

“Other airports in Europe have taken measures such as having birds of prey to attack drones”

Surely that’s not true!!.. a decent size drone would mince a swan FFS!!

I see drone defence becoming necessary now around airfields.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

martyc5674 wrote: »
    In an article on breaking news I took this quote.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/update-drone-which-grounded-flights-in-dublin-could-return-airport-warns-906124.html

“Other airports in Europe have taken measures such as having birds of prey to attack drones”

Surely that’s not true!!.. a decent size drone would mince a swan FFS!!

I see drone defence becoming necessary now around airfields.
    Marty.
    It would also drop that drone straight to the ground though. Worthy sacrifice if it was of malicious intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Need to get a few of them golden eagles that are trained to take out drones.
    I know a guy

Advertisement