Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Keyboard and mouse works great,flying and swimming are a bit wonky but update coming in few days just turn down flying and swimming sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Always hear it. "Well as long as the endgame is good.."

That bit of the game that holds no interest at all as its just a grind..

Division was like that,i really enjoyed the game,played through a few missions a couple of times to up the gear for the Dark Zone,dark zone was broken ,finished the story and I think played Survivor for a while.. but the "End game" is not for me..id have rathered more story stuff..

Unsurprisingly ill be giving this game a miss..as it doesn't seem to have interesting story stuff in it...

It's a looter shooter first and foremost. If you don't enjoy grinding the game just isn't for you.

That bit of the game that holds no interest at all as its just a grind..

Division was like that,i really enjoyed the game,played through a few missions a couple of times to up the gear for the Dark Zone,dark zone was broken ,finished the story and I think played Survivor for a while.. but the "End game" is not for me..id have rathered more story stuff..

Unsurprisingly ill be giving this game a miss..as it doesn't seem to have interesting story stuff in it...

Its a looter game designed around endgame , since you say you dont like endgame games its not for you :)
    The story is just bioware feeling they had to be bioware but it sucks and just gets in the way of a decent endgame.

Dcully wrote: »
    Keyboard and mouse works great,flying and swimming are a bit wonky but update coming in few days just turn down flying and swimming sensitivity.

Everything I've seen said you need to turn the sensitivity up to get the feel of flight right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Its a looter game designed around endgame , since you say you dont like endgame games its not for you :)
    The story is just bioware feeling they had to be bioware but it sucks and just gets in the way of a decent endgame.

I think I must be the only person on the planet enjoying the story so far lol.

It's generic, somewhat unremarkable but so are many of the films and TV shows I watch. I know it's not great but it's pure leave your brain at the door filler that I can just switch off to after a day at work.

I'd agree though, the story isn't good enough that I'd recommend to people who are only in it for story. But for a fun romp to blast through on my way to endgame, I've found it perfectly serviceable albeit subpar when compared to Bioware offerings of old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Played an hour on EA Access, let the other 9 hours run our by accident. :( I like what I have seen from it but matchmaking was slow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd probably enjoy the story if i could actually get around Fort Tarsis at more then a crawl. It just feels so clunky, especially coming from the freeplay flying around movement. Also, some of the voice actors are god damn annoying. Boyle from Brooklyn Nine-Nine is great in that, but i want to punch him in this. And that random girl talking about pet or crystals or whatever.

I'm guessing i can ignore most of them?
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Played an hour on EA Access, let the other 9 hours run our by accident. :( I like what I have seen from it but matchmaking was slow.
    Matchmaking has been pretty good for me so far. Never more then a 20-30 second wait (not including the minute long loading screen).

I listened to the NPCs for about the first 5 hours, didnt bother after that just spammed escape key and got to endgame doing the enjoyable part of the game ie fighting on missions and got there pretty quick,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Do I need to get a controller or is it playable with keyboard and mouse? Has anyone made any drastic changes to the settings that are worth doing?

I'm looking forward to playing it on Friday, it's great to see all the improvements they have made so far.

I think the most complex tuning will be your acceleration settings for Flight/Swimming, marked as Precision and Response for both. Setting each to 0 removes any kind of acceleration/deadzones so it's down to linear response. I did drop precision to 0 but left Response at 30 and that has worked well for me so far. I normally wouldn't have any acceleration on but with the move to a constrained range of motion (circle) I think a little works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

So I have cancelled my Origin Access.

I cannot stand the bugs.

This is what happened today as an example but this has happened in the Alpha, Beta and Live and still not been fixed.

Loaded in to the Fort
    Loaded my Forge and made changes (Game Crashed)
    Loaded in to Fort went to heart of rage and boss didn't spawn on phase 3 so had to log out.
    Loaded the scar Stronghold 3 times as my game would crash just as I loaded in each time.
    Loaded Scar for the 4th time and my sound went off, but still finished it.
    Loaded a contract and the contract would not start.

This crap would not bother me but the load times take SO LONG between these things that is gets on my nerves so much.

I hate the EA attitude of just ...**** it... it is what it is. They have had so long to iron out these things. We shouldn't be paying AAA prices for a game that is broken most of the time.

I like what I have seen of the end game but when the Division 2 is out in less then a month my looter shooter of choice will be the one that I can play. But I am assuming that Div2 will be fine but if it does bug out I won't be sitting at 10000000000 loading screens before i get back in to another bug.. .and repeat.

• Advertisement

Load times are not long, atleast installed on an SSD on a fast PC they are not but yes there are a lot of them which i hope will be addressed.

I can only speak for console, but on the One X they were embarrassingly long. It's the worst I've seen since Bloodborne in its launch state.

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They are still pretty bad on PC even with an SSD. Definitely better than any console would be, but still not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Really struggling with this game, it's a real chore to play and i'm constantly saying to myself i could be enjoying Apex instead of this.

awec wrote: »
    They are still pretty bad on PC even with an SSD. Definitely better than any console would be, but still not good.

3 to 5 seconds for me at most, problem is too many if them.Load screen for everything is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

3 to 5 seconds for me at most, problem is too many if them.Load screen for everything is very annoying.

Load times on SSDs have been clocked, and recorded in online reviews, at up to near a minute at the extremes. I once personally saw it go that far, the majority of the main mission loads on mine are around 30 seconds. That's with the OS running an a 3.5GB/s M2, and the game on a 2xSSD-RAID0-SATA array (that clocks at around 1GB/s). This falls in line with pretty much every report you'll see online for load times here. There is no way anyone is getting 3-5 second level loads. Hell 'loading' the forge takes that long :)

Must be old age slowing down time for me so lol but I don't think it's as slow as some make out,certainly ferls no more than 20 seconds or so for me. People really need to say what platform they are playing on when talking about performance issues.
    I find everything loads painfully slow on consoles,seems to be the norm lately .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Must be old age slowing down time for me so lol but I don't think it's as slow as some make out,certainly ferls no more than 20 seconds or so for me. People really need to say what platform they are playing on when talking about performance issues.
    I find everything loads painfully slow on consoles,seems to be the norm lately .

I am with you. I find some of the fighting during missions really fast. Then again I know I am getting old :P. Loading for me on the Xbox One X is actually ok. What is really annoying me is the really poor FPS in Fort Tarsis. When out of suit, the FPS lag is shocking.

How long is the average campaign playthrough taking people? I'm going to get stuck in tomorrow night and have Friday off work, hoping to get it finished by Friday night/Saturday morning.

Anthem reviews popping up. Average at best.

70% on Metacritic

• Advertisement

70% on Metacritic

It's going to take a few weeks/months until a little of the bugs are actually sorted. Same as most games so I'd guess the game will improve drastically by then, similar to Destiny and Division.

70% on Metacritic

Most of those fools havent got anywhere near endgame either, why judge a looter game intended for endgame before getting to endgame.
    Checkout reviews from people who play a lot of looter games and they are loving the endgame.
    Some random guy on my friends list on origin bought the game not knowing it was a looter shooter thinking it was a story driven campaign,sent me a message asking how im still playing the game, mind boggling.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's going to take a few weeks/months until a little of the bugs are actually sorted. Same as most games so I'd guess the game will improve drastically by then, similar to Destiny and Division.

I don't think that's an excuse. Games shouldn't be launching with a ball of glitches. And some of us expect a complete package on launch and not this road-map nonsense.
    "Endgame" seems to be a fixation.
    What about impactful beginnings, middles and ends of an actual campaigns?

Apex launched as free with little to no issues.
    Res Evil 2 Remake - No issues

I don't think that's an excuse. Games shouldn't be launching with a ball of glitches. And some of us expect a complete package on launch and not this road-map nonsense.

Apex launched as free with little to no issues.
    Res Evil 2 Remake - No issues

The roadmap is a good thing actually, it is a live service afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Most of those fools havent got anywhere near endgame either, why judge a looter game intended for endgame before getting to endgame.
    Checkout reviews from people who play a lot of looter games and they are loving the endgame.
    Some random guy on my friends list on origin bought the game not knowing it was a looter shooter thinking it was a story driven campaign,sent me a message asking how im still playing the game, mind boggling.

To be fair if he hadn't been following it or knew much about gaming other than, it's made by the people who made mass effect, then I could understand he's suprise by the game.

To be fair if he hadn't been following it or knew much about gaming other than, it's made by the people who made mass effect, then I could understand he's suprise by the game.

When I think Bioware, I don't think of this.
    It's an EA idea made by Bioware.

Pretty pathetic that a 7 out of 10 is considered average or mediocre by gamers these days. IMO, a 7 out of 10 is a good score, with 8's, 9's and 10's reserved for great to damn near perfect games. I meant if a 7 is average we should really just pretend anything below 5 on the scale doesn't exist?

7 is right where I expected this to be at and tbh I'm actually surprised given the issues that currently exist. Speaks to the excellent potential the game has.

Also agree that a roadmap is a good thing for anything that is going to updated for a couple of years to come, it's a live service, if there was no communication regarding upcoming content the same people would be crying that there is a lack of transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

That bit of the game that holds no interest at all as its just a grind

It's a hard balance to meet. Some people just want the end game. I've put thousands of hours into the Division and Destiny in an insane quest to improve my character. It's not just me there's eejits like me out there too. While I enjoyed the stories and played them numerous times with various characters, it was an ends to a means.

I think it's one of the reasons I can't get into BR. I can't keep the shiny stuff I find and there's no character progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

KilOit wrote: »
    Really struggling with this game, it's a real chore to play and i'm constantly saying to myself i could be enjoying Apex instead of this.

If you feel like this you should really just play Apex. I have put down plenty of games that are widely acclaimed as I wanted to do something else more. If it's a chore it's not working for you. This is the reason I end up with so many unfinished games.

You can always come back to it.

• Advertisement

Some more sources for the reviews ect here for anyone interested;

https://opencritic.com/game/7084/anthem/reviews

Advertisement